Fifty Shades of Grey

Page 10 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Fifty Shades of Grey

Post  ulkis on Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:40 pm

He must be a fairly decent actor, because until right now I had no idea he was English. (Disclaimer: I have only seen Pacific Rim and like half an episode of SOA.) Mostly I'm just, like, why is this even happening, at all, with any actors, anywhere?
Exactly. But who knows, maybe it will be a good movie somehow? Much easier to make a good movie from a bad book than from a good one in a lot of ways.

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie on Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:48 pm

It took Charlie a long time, but yeah I think he's finally a good actor. It was rough going when I first watched him in QaF and on Young Americans, you used to do a lot of what I can only describe as squealing out his lines(his voice would jump 10 octaves the closer he got to the end of the line). It wasn't until SoA I thought he was any good. But again I'm not sure how much anyone's talent will help this hot mess of a source out.

blixie
Mod Squad

http://thesnarkening.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Coneycat on Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:33 am

New that may not bode well for the movie adaptation: British charity shops report they are now unable to sell donated copies of 50 Shades of Grey.

In the words of the manager of the Books Manager at Cancer Research UK:

"We always welcome donations, but the secondary sales potential of the novels is a big problem. Nobody wants it anymore."
I now feel better about the fact I have never been able to get through a short excerpt or even a detailed sporking of this series.

Coneycat

Back to top Go down

Post  mayram on Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:07 pm

Yeah, I'll be curious to see how the movie is received. It seems like it's already a craze that's passed and by the time this thing gets made and released, how far removed will we be from the initial frenzy?

Although the idea that bookshops can't resell copies isn't that surprising either, that's generally the case with books that sold a ton of copies initially, there are always a million copies available for 1 penny on Amazon later on.

I now feel better about the fact I have never been able to get through a short excerpt or even a detailed sporking of this series.
I've managed to avoid reading one word of any Twilight book and this and I definitely don't feel I've missed out.

mayram

Back to top Go down

Post  Crowbridge on Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:21 pm

I wonder why it took them so long to get this thing going? '50 Shades' was the big thing in 2012, and here we are at the end of 2013. What's the deal with that?

Crowbridge

Back to top Go down

Post  PrincessCleo on Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:26 pm

I have this feeling that it took them this long to actually sucker someone into agreeing to do it.
PrincessCleo
Admin

http://http;//cleolinda.livejournal.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Arabella on Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:03 am

Given the massive fan outcry about the casting, there still seems to be a pretty avid Fifty Shades audience out there. They probably could have had it in theaters by now if they'd started out looking for CW and former soap actors instead of hoping they could get A-listers to sign on the dotted line. The budget will be low and since it's coming into it with a fanbase it probably won't be a financial flop at least. I'm surprised Lifetime hasn't snapped up the rights to one of those Fifty Shades wannabe books. Just put the spin on it that after the sex haze wears off, she realizes she needs to get away from the guy and it's a classic "woman in danger" movie.

Nothing groundbreaking but one of my favorite Scandal recappers live Tweeted her reading of Fifty Shades of Grey which she's called "officially the worst book ever in life". Some comments I liked:

"He smells of fresh laundered linen and some expensive body-wash. Oh my, it’s intoxicating." Ma'am, you described FEBREZE!
You not 'posed to "splinter into a million pieces." ARE YOU MOSAIC TILES?? Girl that's not how it's 'posed to go. I heard.
I wanna stab this girl's inner goddess. She's mentioned her 4 times in 1 page. I WANT HER INNER GODDESS TO STFU!
This fool said "I have an email address?" GIRL WUT IS YOUR LIFE? The woman who wrote this book prolly uses Netscape still.
About the infamous tampon scene:
I just wanna lay my burdens down at this point. On a list of "things that are sexy" this is below "Flava Flav."

Last edited by Arabella on Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:10 am; edited 2 times in total

Arabella

Back to top Go down

Post  Poubelle on Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:05 am

I'm not surprised that an organization would be overwhelmed with donations, but I am surprised they can't sell them at all. I work in a bookstore and we still sell copies of them (new, full price)--including the box set--from time to time. It's not anywhere near the frenzy it was last year, but it's still worth it for us to keep at least a couple of each in stock. Maybe that can be chalked up to the difference between the US and the UK, though. They say nobody ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American public, but I don't think anyone's ever said that about the British.
Poubelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Raised by wolves on Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:04 am

I'm not sure if they can't sell them but maybe they can't stock them. At my public library during the 90s, we had a small used book area in the lobby. It was maybe the size of two four-shelf bookcases. The Celestine Prophesy was the 50 Shades of its day. We sold maybe two or three copies a week. We got about 30 copies a week donated for months. If we put all the donated copies in the selling area, there would literally be no room for anything else. Same with Bibles and other religious texts, you get a ton more than you sell. No one else wants them either because they're completely saturated too, so they end up recycled or in a dumpster.

I wouldn't be surprised if the movie flops though. By the time the movie comes out, the hype will be gone and really I think the audience is a lot smaller than its internet voice.

Raised by wolves

Back to top Go down

Post  Coneycat on Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:22 am

The article specifically states that they can't sell them, so I figure they can't sell them. And yes, I too wouldn't be surprised if the movie doesn't do very well. I've never heard that there's much to the story besides the sex, and I wonder a little how the experience will translate from the reader's head to the big screen. It'll be interesting to see numbers on it once it's released. If it's released. And if they don't just decide to go straight to DVD with it, which frankly strikes me as a better idea!

Coneycat

Back to top Go down

Post  Paris, Texas on Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:25 pm

I read a bit more and am surprised at how tame the sex is.  Like there's some minor paddling and then the rest stuff like bound wrists and blind-folding.  It's average Mills and Boon "I want to change a man" fantasising but worse written.  I don't know her describing down there or my sex is supposed to be more romantic than, I don't know, pussy.  My sex, particularly, is a phrase both clinical and incorrect that its almost offensive.

Also, Jane Eyre would not be frightened by Christian Grey, as she suggests. Jane Eyre was not frightened by anything.

Paris, Texas

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis on Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:17 pm

Charlie quit the movie. Heeeeeee.

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  Crowbridge on Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:33 pm

'Atta boy.

Crowbridge

Back to top Go down

Post  PrincessCleo on Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:35 pm

I literally interrupted a podcast I was recording to blurt that out. And there was much rejoicing. And I made news ticker noises, because I'm a bit hyper today.

Who in the world would want to take the role now?
PrincessCleo
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  swsa on Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:12 pm

Yeah, if they had trouble casting it before, I can just imagine now that they lost someone who chickened out at the last moment.

The hopeful part of me wonders if this may shove it back into development hell. But even if it doesn't, I have to think the caliber of actors expressing interest has to be sinking lower and lower.
swsa

Back to top Go down

Post  GoodbyeWithWords on Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:38 pm

Maybe they'll just get Somerhalder after all. You know, Sandra Bullock wasn't the first or even second choice for Gravity, but it all turned out really well in the end. This movie will still probably suck, but maybe the lead won't be such a headscratching miscast. I wonder if Dakota will be out next?

GoodbyeWithWords

Back to top Go down

Post  ActonBell on Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:41 pm

Somerhalder would be perfect because he's at Velveeta levels of cheesiness.
ActonBell

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis on Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:09 pm

GoodbyeWithWords wrote:Maybe they'll just get Somerhalder after all. You know, Sandra Bullock wasn't the first or even second choice for Gravity, but it all turned out really well in the end. This movie will still probably suck, but maybe the lead won't be such a headscratching miscast. I wonder if Dakota will be out next?
I said that on tumblr and lost a follower, whoops. Sorry offended Ian fan!

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  PrincessCleo on Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:12 pm

They really just need to get Ian Somerhalder, yeah, because I think he's the only person who actually wants to do it. Always a plus.
PrincessCleo
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Carrie Ann on Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:36 pm

Haven't the producers made comments about how Ian had never been considered? Or was that just gossip? Seems like it'd be awkward to hire him now, if they did say that. But otherwise, I think he'd be perfect.
Carrie Ann

Back to top Go down

Post  swsa on Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:01 pm

Yeah, Ian was never approached about the role, apparently. It's sort of hard to know who really WAS in talks though because I think Universal throws a lot of bullshit out there. Like there is no way I believe Gosling or Shailene Woodley's agents did anything other than immediately recycle the script they were sent. The only semi-legit casting rumor seems to be that Garrett Hedlund was offered the role and turned it down.
swsa

Back to top Go down

Post  Jessica on Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:23 pm

I honestly don't think this movie is ever going to get made. NO ONE wants to be in it (other than Somerhalder, which...I love Damon but it just makes me laugh that he's so into it).
Jessica

Back to top Go down

Post  biakbiak on Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:30 pm

And isn't the buzz completely over at this point? You would think between the difficulty casting and the flopping of Mortal Instruments, yes I understand different audiences and all, but seeing the popularity not translate would give them pause.
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis on Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:11 pm

awww. I really wanted this to be made, haha.

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  Raksha on Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:24 pm

This is great news!  I honestly hope this doesn't get made at all.  No matter how much of train wreck it is, people will still love it.  I have no faith in humanity now after reading through Jenny Reads 50 Shades (I couldn't stomach reading the book straight, without any snarky-hostile commentary).  I thought it was hilarious at first, especially the running jokes about Christian being a kidnapper/serial killer after what he bought at the hardware store in the first book.  But now I'm just horrified.  This couldn't be any more of a textbook abusive relationship if EL James had actually set out to write one, yet it's talked about as being so romantic and sexy.  It's disgusting and it makes me hate the entire world.

ETA:  Okay, someone on Jenny's blog suggested Nic Cage for the role and all of a sudden, I actually want the movie to happen now!  But only with Cage, because the Rifftrax for that one would be 'Wicker Man' levels of epic.
Raksha

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top