Fifty Shades of Grey

Page 2 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Fifty Shades of Grey

Post  laddical on Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:38 pm

Oh, that was a good one. I totally didn't get that you'd fabricated that paragraph. I want to say "awesome job", but I want to be clear I'm praising your comedic skills and not the quality of the writing.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  Crowbridge on Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:52 pm

laddical wrote:Oh, that was a good one. I totally didn't get that you'd fabricated that paragraph. I want to say "awesome job", but I want to be clear I'm praising your comedic skills and not the quality of the writing.
Thanks. :)

Crowbridge

Back to top Go down

Post  Menshevixen on Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:55 pm

Yeeeaaah, definitely thought that was an actual excerpt. :B

So what we've learned from this is that Crowbridge should write a terrible erotic novel straightaway, because they'd make ballin' cash off it.
Menshevixen

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person on Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:06 pm

Aaaaand Metaquoted.

Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis on Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:03 pm

It's as if this book was written to take the pressure off Stephanie Meyer. "You think Twilight sucked? Take a look at THIS!"

Hee, I was thinking that Twilight is genius compared to this too.

I've got it - "Sadomasochistic sparkle-wizards compete in a battle to the death for the amusement of others!"

I'd call mine '50 Shades of Brown.' Because it's SHIT.

I am cracking up!

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  laurelin_kit on Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:56 pm

I just read an embarrassing number of pages of the original fanfic and I am APPALLED that millions of people get off to this. Edward/Christian is such a DICK.
laurelin_kit

Back to top Go down

Post  Luthien on Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:16 am

My husband's younger (she's 25, but a very, very young 25) cousin just posted as her Facebook status "Why can't men like Christian Grey exist in real life? Sigh."

I didn't understand this when it was all about Edward "do as I say, Bella" Cullen, and I definitely don't get it now. Why do women, especially young women, want this type of guy in their fiction? My fictional crushes are men like Prince Caspian, Faramir, Taran of Caer Dallben, John Carter, Barney Snaith, Steve Rogers, Clark Kent, Luke Skywalker, Marty McFly. None of these guys ever forced their love interests to do anything, sexual or otherwise, she didn't want to do. What's that thing they had for them? Oh right, respect.

definitely thought that was an actual excerpt.

Completely fooled me, too! I thought it was yanked straight from that tumblr.

Luthien

Back to top Go down

Post  Crowbridge on Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:28 am

Some women (and some men) confuse possessiveness with love. "He doesn't want me out of his sight! He must really love me!"

ACK.

Crowbridge

Back to top Go down

Post  ActonBell on Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:02 pm

I just read an embarrassing number of pages of the original fanfic and I am APPALLED that millions of people get off to this. Edward/Christian is such a DICK.

I did the same thing this weekend, because I've had bronchitis and thought I would read something fun/funny to distract myself. I could have not have been more wrong. Not only were these appallingly written, but Christian Grey is an even bigger asshole than Edward Cullen. He's a controlling, abusive monster, and his "tragic" backstory is supposed to excuse all of his ugly behavior. I came away from this wondering how he could appeal to anyone.
ActonBell

Back to top Go down

Post  Jude on Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:11 pm

That's really been my problem all along with it, even more than the style (if you can call it that) of writing. I'm usually all about the "that's why there's chocolate and vanilla" thing, but I just cannot understand how any woman could find someone like Christian attractive, much less fawn all over him like he's the Ultimate Ideal Man. Yet that's what I've been seeing ever since this thing was still in its fanfic stage, people carrying on about how hot and desirable this guy is. "Oooo, Fifty!!"

It made me feel like a liberal at a Tea Party rally.

Jude

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis on Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:09 pm

Did she actually publish on the net as Twilight fic or did she just write it as Twilight and then put it away? Because dude, as if Edward would be that kinky.

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:04 pm

Published on the net. You could read the entire... "trilogy"... for free, basically, and just transpose names.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person on Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:22 pm

ulkis wrote:Did she actually publish on the net as Twilight fic or did she just write it as Twilight and then put it away? Because dude, as if Edward would be that kinky.

It's one of the links I collected on the first entry in this thread.

Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  TatersPrecious on Tue May 01, 2012 10:37 am

I've been reading it to see what the hype was about. While the mystery of why he is so screwed up, has kept me reading, the writing style is very boring and repetitive. Way too many sex scenes(that aren't written well) and not enough plot that moves the story along into something other than "I don't know if I can handle this...he's so controlling....oh wait we had sex, that makes everything ok....until tomorrow when I freak out about something really small compared to how controlling he is."

I think the appeal of this book(and Twilight) comes from people wanting to be someone's center of attention. Also he takes care of everything...even though it's creepy at times...so that's appealing as a fantasy for people who are stressed with a lot on their plate. But yes, the "holy cow" ...referring to genitalia as "there" etc gets very old. So much of the dialog, as has been said, is nothing anyone would actually say in real life. I find myself speeding through the sex scenes to get to other parts of the story.

There's talk of Ian Somerhalder playing the role, and a few others. I don't see how they can adapt this to screen without it coming off as horrible, like Twilight. It would be embarrassing IMO for any actor to have this in their repertoire.

TatersPrecious

Back to top Go down

Post  bookworm on Tue May 01, 2012 11:12 am

Could someone just spoil me as to the deep dark secret so I don't have to read this thing?
bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post  TatersPrecious on Tue May 01, 2012 11:30 am

Spoiler:
He was adopted after being abandoned in a home with a "crack whore" mother who died. Her pimp used to put out cigarettes on his chest and when he found him there with his dead mother, he called the police and left him there. Due to his anger toward his mother, he became a sadist and would take women who looked similar to his mother, and make them his submissive. He learned about BDSM from an older friend of his adoptive mother...who took him as her own submissive at the age of 15. At the time, he was getting into many fights, and he claims she "saved him." Ana(the main character) sees her, rightly, as a child molester. He claims it was what he wanted at the time. The main character looks like his mother as well, but "she changed him." *insert rolling eyes emoticon*

There lol.

TatersPrecious

Back to top Go down

Post  ActonBell on Tue May 01, 2012 12:46 pm

I'm not spoilering this because I'm not going to give away anything, but the way James chooses to explain Christian's traumatic background is so amateurish and painfully bad that I was legitimately cringing with embarrassment.
ActonBell

Back to top Go down

Post  big chicken on Tue May 01, 2012 12:59 pm

laddical wrote:Published on the net. You could read the entire... "trilogy"... for free, basically, and just transpose names.

Just Google "Master of the Universe fanfic" and there you have it.

Dear Author has a comparison of the fanfic to the published version.

big chicken

Back to top Go down

Post  bookworm on Tue May 01, 2012 1:56 pm

TatersPrecious wrote:
Spoiler:
He was adopted after being abandoned in a home with a "crack whore" mother who died. Her pimp used to put out cigarettes on his chest and when he found him there with his dead mother, he called the police and left him there. Due to his anger toward his mother, he became a sadist and would take women who looked similar to his mother, and make them his submissive. He learned about BDSM from an older friend of his adoptive mother...who took him as her own submissive at the age of 15. At the time, he was getting into many fights, and he claims she "saved him." Ana(the main character) sees her, rightly, as a child molester. He claims it was what he wanted at the time. The main character looks like his mother as well, but "she changed him." *insert rolling eyes emoticon*

There lol.

Of course the special snowflake cures him of this instead of insisting he go to therapy and running far, far away. I'm calling it: this is worse than Twilight.
bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post  ActonBell on Tue May 01, 2012 3:30 pm

It has a creepy slut-shaming overtone, because one of the big reasons Christian falls for Ana and she is able to change him is because of her virginity and "innocence". He was fine with wanting to beat and inflict pain on other women.
ActonBell

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis on Tue May 01, 2012 8:10 pm

ulkis wrote:
Did she actually publish on the net as Twilight fic or did she just write it as Twilight and then put it away? Because dude, as if Edward would be that kinky.
It's one of the links I collected on the first entry in this thread..

No, I knew you did, but I wasn't sure if it was just something she put up for dl after the book came out or if it was on a website like ff.net.

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  Luthien on Tue May 01, 2012 8:47 pm

The 50 Shades of Suck Twitter/Tumblr blogger is asking questions to the actual E. L. James on Twitter, and they are priceless. My favourite:

50 Shades of Suck‏@50shadesofsuck

@E_L_James 2nd question: do you think it's a person's responsibility to wash their own butt plugs?

Luthien

Back to top Go down

Post  Menshevixen on Tue May 01, 2012 9:17 pm

It IS kind of dickish to make your housekeeper maintain your sex toys, as apparently Christian does.
Menshevixen

Back to top Go down

Post  truecrystal on Tue May 01, 2012 11:16 pm

So let me get this straight:

Spoiler:
Christian physically brutalizes women who look like his abusive and neglectful mother as a way to deal with his unresolved feelings for her; finds sexual gratification in doing so; the main character is not only turned on by this but eagerly participates; and then he is cured by her magically clean "dark place"?

AND HE DOESN'T WASH HIS OWN BUTT PLUGS?!?!

BDSM: It does not mean what E.L. James thinks it means.

truecrystal

Back to top Go down

Post  Miss Moneypenny on Tue May 01, 2012 11:47 pm

Every time I think I've reached the limit of I CAN'T with this damn book, something else comes along and redefines the boundaries.
Miss Moneypenny

http://daisyrazor.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top