The Batman Movies

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: The Batman Movies

Post  Grainne Mhaol on Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:21 pm

I really like it, though Batman Begins bored me so much that I skipped The Dark Knight. I don't know whether the sound in my theatre was off or what, but I found Bane to be indecipherable much of the time. His voice was more distracting than Batman's, and that's saying something. When Bane and Batman finally found each other in the crowd like Jack and Rose, it was like they were having a wheeze-off.

The plot-holes didn't bother me too much because I found the character interactions to be really strong - Blake's character in particular was outstanding. The running time really started to tell at the half-way stage, though, but it really picked up towards the climax. Anne Hathaway's Catwoman didn't knock my socks off though, she was too moody and not charismatic a presence to carry of the character as scripted.

I've seen people on Twitter saying that the film has anti-Occupy overtones, but I didn't get that at all. I appreciated the Reign of Terror parallels, but really found Bane's whole motivation behind the chaos to be a bit weak. I also found Bane to be singularly unintimidating - a bit like a retread of Lord Humungus from Mad Max 2. His henchmen had the lasting power of Stormtroopers as well - he really didn't know how to incentivize his workforce.
Grainne Mhaol

http://foodcultureinireland.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:39 pm

I fail at life and still haven't seen this movie. The Olympics will make sure it stays that way for the next 2 weeks, too! Plus, I don't want the Nolan-Bale trilogy to be over, so it's hard to make myself go watch the film.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Esseilte on Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:16 pm

Grainne Mhaol wrote:I appreciated the Reign of Terror parallels, but really found Bane's whole motivation behind the chaos to be a bit weak.

To be honest, the majority of the time I felt like his motivation was basically 'cos-for' as we used to say at school. Which in case anyone didn't say that, probably roughly translates as 'just because' or 'because of reasons'.

I'm really glad they sorted out Bane's voice, though. I also had some trouble understanding him in places, but I've heard comparisons with the original voice and I wouldn't have had a clue.
Esseilte

Back to top Go down

Post  mokey75 on Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:15 pm

Matinee wrote:Where exactly WAS that prison? And
Spoiler:
how the hell did he get back? Did he just walk from wherever to the bridge at just the right moment? I was assuming from the geography that it was another continent, but how did he fly back? He had no money or passport! And it's not like he could call someone to help him - it seems like the only people he knows are in Gotham. Did Batman steal a plane and/or car and just ditch it outside city limits?

These are not the details I'm supposed to be dwelling on, right?

Oh man, I spent the 10 minutes walking back to the car bitching about this. I am willing to suspend my disbelief, but come the fuck on. And even if
Spoiler:
he had a branch of Wayne Enterprises wherever the hell he was that could get him home a)flights from the Middle East/Africa/Any place that desert-y are almost as long as the amount of time that they had left to defuse the bomb, and b)how the fuck did he get back into Gotham? There appeared to be 2 ways in - the bridge that the idiot police blew up, and the tunnel that was blocked by the pile o'cars.

Also, I totally snorted -loudly - when the bats flew out just as he was supposed to make the leap to freedom in the pit, or whatever. I was like, "hey, it's the rat on the balcony from the Departed."

I thought it was fine, for what it was (i.e. not my thing), but I definitely preferred the second one (and never saw the first). Bane was just boring to watch; the Joker at least was interesting.
mokey75

Back to top Go down

Post  Matinee on Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:41 am

mokey75 wrote:
Matinee wrote:Where exactly WAS that prison? And
Spoiler:
how the hell did he get back? Did he just walk from wherever to the bridge at just the right moment? I was assuming from the geography that it was another continent, but how did he fly back? He had no money or passport! And it's not like he could call someone to help him - it seems like the only people he knows are in Gotham. Did Batman steal a plane and/or car and just ditch it outside city limits?

These are not the details I'm supposed to be dwelling on, right?

Oh man, I spent the 10 minutes walking back to the car bitching about this. I am willing to suspend my disbelief, but come the fuck on. And even if
Spoiler:
he had a branch of Wayne Enterprises wherever the hell he was that could get him home a)flights from the Middle East/Africa/Any place that desert-y are almost as long as the amount of time that they had left to defuse the bomb, and b)how the fuck did he get back into Gotham? There appeared to be 2 ways in - the bridge that the idiot police blew up, and the tunnel that was blocked by the pile o'cars.

Also, I totally snorted -loudly - when the bats flew out just as he was supposed to make the leap to freedom in the pit, or whatever. I was like, "hey, it's the rat on the balcony from the Departed."

I thought it was fine, for what it was (i.e. not my thing), but I definitely preferred the second one (and never saw the first). Bane was just boring to watch; the Joker at least was interesting.

I think we are spiritual twins, because not only do you agree with my detail complaints, you referenced my most bitched-about point of (the massively over-rated IMO) The Departed! Love.

Matinee

Back to top Go down

Post  The Dude on Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:16 am

I think it was in Uzbeckybeckystanstan.
The Dude

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:52 am

It'll never happen, but I'm really hoping the next set of Batfilms jettisons all pretense of "realism". No trying to justify every little detail. Just embrace the pulp adventure spirit of the Golden Age and go.

My dream would be some kind of "Brave and the Bold" adaptation. Not quite as camp-embracing as the cartoon series of the same name, but pointed in that direction with guest stars from among B and C-list Justice Leaguers. We've had gothic Batman, we've had modern-camp Batman, we've had gritty realism Batman. Let's have the "modern age homage to the silver age" - that is, the more fun and heroic aspects of Batman without the condescension to the audience that the '60s TV series and Schumacher films had.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  Binky on Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:35 pm

I really enjoyed Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Anne Hathaway. I would totally see a movie about both/either of them. Especially since you know
Spoiler:
she didn't reset her life totally. Not with a magic batman kiss. Not Selina Kyle. No fucking way.

I will say this movie highlighted one of the things I have huge issue with in regards to Christopher Nolan: WOMEN. Count them. Cotillard and Hathaway. And like 3 women extras. Literally about three out of a extra cast of hundreds. And Dark Knight and Batman Begins were NOT better in this regard. And the women in this film spend it
Spoiler:
50% in prison or fucking batman prior to betraying him. I wanted more catwoman and I felt like the Talia reveal was stilted because we saw so little of her.
I would not trust Nolan to make a catwoman film because I honestly don't think he cares for female characters enough to notice there are essentially none in his cast.

I thought the story was super sloppy and kinda draggy, and I really didn't care about Bruce Wayne all that much. Bane's facemask made it such that anyone could have played him, because it essentially didn't matter since you couldn't see his face. And his voice was, uh, ridiculous and badly dubbed.

All the same, I enjoyed it over all. I liked that I recognized like every single Hey It's That Guy.

There were two little girls in the restroom afterwards, and one of them was sobbing. The younger one didn't understand why, and the older girl said "You don't love batman as much as I do!" and the younger one was all "I will when I'm older!" It was adorable.
Binky

Back to top Go down

Post  Gilly_sirl on Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:51 pm

I think I would need to see the film again to make elaborate points, but here are my impressions nonetheless :

With regards to Bane's motivation for destroying Gotham, I think it is the same as R'aas Al Ghul, and that was never clear to me either: they're intent on razing the city, but exactly why is baffling. To build it back on better foundations? When you call your gang the "League of Shadows"? In my highly Bat-illiterate personal knowledge, it's destruction for destruction's sake. However, it seems to me Bane's approach is much more cruel, allowing Gothamites to hope they'll get out if only they play along, whereas Al Ghul's approach was (IIRC) to blow up the city when no one was watching the trains (in BB).

Apparently, they never mention the Joker out of respect for Heath Ledger. But would it be safe to assume ole' Why So Serious would have been among the criminals Bane frees? That said, I find myself thinking that compared to Bane, the Joker is almost small fry.

How did Bat-Bruce come back from the Pits? I don't care. It the kind of elements that I let the directors explain (or not!) and which I take at face value : Chris Nolan tells me a man could come back from a Middle Eastern well-prison, get back into a besieged Gotham, and all this on foot with only a little spring jacket on his back, I buy it. Because it's Batman, not the news.

Oh, and if Chris Nolan somehow equates Bane's Occupy Gotham to last winter's Occupy (insert city) movement, I presume his dot in the political spectrum is so far right it's off the chart! Come on! A cruel, brutal ogre who'll execute anyone who looks at him sideways compared to pacifists, hippies, ecologists, hipsters and other assorted well-meaning people? Come ON!

All in all, I really enjoyed the film. However, it is incredibly violent, the most violent of the trilogy, if you ask me.

Gilly_sirl

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Wolf on Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:07 pm

Would it be safe to assume ole' Why So Serious would have been among the criminals Bane frees?
I remember reading an extract of the novelisation somewhere, but I've been unable to find it again. IIRC, no. The suggestion was that Bane decided he was too freaky, too likely to upset the master plan. So he was left in prison to rot.

Red Wolf

Back to top Go down

Post  Binky on Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:24 pm

Gilly_sirl wrote:I think I would need to see the film again to make elaborate points, but here are my impressions nonetheless :

With regards to Bane's motivation for destroying Gotham, I think it is the same as R'aas Al Ghul, and that was never clear to me either: they're intent on razing the city, but exactly why is baffling.

To make Batman sad, seemed to be the motivation. And part of the reason the middle/end of this film seemed so muddled is because "make Batman cry" is not particularly compelling or dynamic as a plot. There's also a scale issue - how much of Gotham is evil crazy criminals? Presumably at least half, and the other half is hiding somewhere with all the women.
Binky

Back to top Go down

Post  Snarryfan on Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:24 pm

It makes sense that Bane wouldn't release the Joker because while both create destruction they are polar opposites. Bane, like thr Al-Ghul's, is a fanatic and that absolutist view is what makes them so dangerous. The Joker is pure chaos, he destroys because it's fun and couldn't give a damn about the motivations behind the league of shadows. Fundamentalism and anarchy can't really work together. I think of the scene with the national anthem: Bane stands, compliments the boy's voice, and then blows the field as the game begins (in more ways than one). The Joker would have just shot the kid for poops and giggles and then wandered off before Bane's speech.

Snarryfan

Back to top Go down

Post  bbridges on Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:14 am

Oh, and if Chris Nolan somehow equates Bane's Occupy Gotham to last winter's Occupy (insert city) movement, I presume his dot in the political spectrum is so far right it's off the chart! Come on! A cruel, brutal ogre who'll execute anyone who looks at him sideways compared to pacifists, hippies, ecologists, hipsters and other assorted well-meaning people? Come ON!

I don't think that he was equating it. I mean all the press talked about "Occupy Gotham" and the idea that Bane was going to co-opt the movement but we don't see any evidence of any kind of Occupy movement that isn't Bane. While I don't think the movie is devoid of politics I don't think it's as clear cut as people made it out to be. Occupy is the wrong parallel, the French Revolution is the better parallel.
bbridges

Back to top Go down

Post  Jamie on Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:31 pm

Binky wrote:To make Batman sad, seemed to be the motivation. And part of the reason the middle/end of this film seemed so muddled is because "make Batman cry" is not particularly compelling or dynamic as a plot.

Aw man, laughed out loud at work. Bane did say the thing where despair was all the more painful when coupled with hope, so that's part of why I thought they gave Gotham a chance to survive. Except, they would have blown up in 1 second, so the however many months of hope they built up really wouldn't seem to matter. I really wonder how Gotham and the rest of the world thought this was going to end. Were they going to treat Gotham like a succeeded country run by terrorists indefinitely? What about when the ice all melts and "exile" is just swimming really far?

Deep breath. Too many questions. I liked it, that was enough. :)
Jamie

Back to top Go down

Post  gannetguts on Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:54 am

I finally got a chance to see this today and I'll probably need to see it again, what with all the muttering. My poor, half deaf father had so much trouble understanding some characters, particularly Bane.

I was pleasantly surprised with Anne Hathaway. I really liked what she did with Catwoman.

gannetguts

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:02 am

I finally saw this and was extremely shocked that I understood most of what Bane was saying. From the many complaints I'd heard prior to seeing the film, I thought I'd spend the whole movie straining to grasp whatever he said. Thankfully, that wasn't the case. I did chuckle inside everytime he spoke though because he sounded like Sean Connery. Seriously, he did.

Ummm, I absolutely squeed and gasped with delight when Will Estes showed up as a cop. I have loved that dude since he was on that Kirk Cameron sitcom back in the '90s. He is aging very well!

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  inversed on Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:57 am

whatthedeuce wrote: I did chuckle inside everytime he spoke though because he sounded like Sean Connery. Seriously, he did.

I thought the same thing! I was like "Is he adopting that accent to throw people off?" Eventually I got over it though. I really enjoyed the movie, though it would have been impossible for it to be as entertaining as The Dark Knight. The only thing that made my eyes roll was
Spoiler:
Miranda/Talia's explanation of her entire backstory and Bane's only crime being to love her, or some shit.

Loved the reappearance of
Spoiler:
Scarecrow
too!

inversed

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:02 pm

I never got over the Sean Connery voice. It just cracked me up inside during the entire film because I'd forget about it, and then Bane would show up and start talking again, and it would just catch me offguard once more. It was a very strange acting choice. Does anyone know why he chose that sorta accent and vocalization? Also, how GIGANTIC did Tom hardy look as Bane? Towards the end, my sister even whispered, "Is this guy some former UFC fighter turned actor?" She was shocked when I reminded her that it was Tom Hardy because she'd forgotten he was supposed to be in the movie!

Ummm, Michael Caine needs to stop being so good. OMG. He makes one damn fine Alfred. I'll tell ya that!

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Binky on Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:11 am

whatthedeuce wrote:I never got over the Sean Connery voice. It just cracked me up inside during the entire film because I'd forget about it, and then Bane would show up and start talking again, and it would just catch me offguard once more. It was a very strange acting choice. Does anyone know why he chose that sorta accent and vocalization?

He said he was going for Irish gypsy mafia, I think? I am so glad no one described it as Sean Connery to me before I saw it, because I would have giggled through the whole movie.
Binky

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:23 am

Yeah, I did not get any hint of Irish, gypsy, OR mafia. All I heard was SC with asthma.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Fiammetta on Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:42 pm

I heard Connery crossed with Yoda. Very hard to take seriously.

Fiammetta

Back to top Go down

Post  TiffanyNichelle on Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:59 am

I kept waiting for him to bust out with a "when I was your age..."

He sounded like someone's grandpa crossed with Sean Connery.
TiffanyNichelle

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:01 am

Wow. I basically hijacked this thread for Sean Connery. Oh well, why stop the party? I just remembered that the other thing that made me laugh about Bane's voice is that it reminded me of Darrell Hammond's SC impersonations on SNL.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Grainne Mhaol on Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:12 pm

Take it from me, that is nothing like a Traveller accent. I got Sean Connery with a touch of bronchial pneumonia.
Grainne Mhaol

http://foodcultureinireland.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Livilla on Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:54 pm

Now I'm going to have the image of Bane saying "Suck it, Trebek!" in my head every time I see an ad for The Dark Knight Rises. Although, to my mind, no accent can be as bad at Tom Wilkinson's attempt at mobster in Batman Begins.

That aside, this was my favorite installment in the trilogy and there were so many things I loved about it but most especially JGL, Anne Hathaway, and Michael Caine (not to mention Sgt. Wu).

Livilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top