The Batman Movies

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: The Batman Movies

Post  Wildog27 on Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:50 pm

For me, it was Return of the Jedi to The Dark Knight's Empire Strikes Back and Batman Begin's Star Wars minus the Ewoks. I really enjoyed it, but it was also a midnight show, and not in IMAX, so once I see it like that it might change my opinion.

I thought it was bloated and unfocused in general, although there were great set pieces and some really incredible moments. I felt like there should have been more signs of the chaos that Bane wreaked on Gotham once he took over, although the kangaroo court was indeed great. As it was, it didn't seem like it was the great 99% taking on the 1%. It just seemed like everyone stayed home while the rich people played camp out in their board rooms. It was a bit striking too, especially having recently watched both BB and TDK and how (mostly) tightly plotted they are. The middle section dragged quite a bit, but the end came on really strongly. I did like Anne Hathaway and JGL quite a bit. So, I thought it was very good, but probably the lesser of the three in the trilogy.

Wildog27

Back to top Go down

Post  PrincessCleo on Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:26 am

sagitare wrote:The one genuinely funny line was
Spoiler:
"So that's what that feels like" when Selina disappears in the moment Batman turns away from her.

Hey now! I would also nominate
Spoiler:
"Sold! To the man in the cold sweat."

I didn't think it was flawless, and that whole middle section... yeah. It seems better to me if you take all three movies as one continuous story, but... yeah, the Empire Strikes Back comparison is pretty much dead on, although I don't really know which I'd say is second best.
PrincessCleo
Admin

http://http;//cleolinda.livejournal.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran on Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:47 am

I think for me, the reason I liked it so much was in the context of the other two. I think as a trilogy, it almost works as one single movie? And that is why I liked it so much. All the callbacks and such. It almost...was like a ten year arc of Detective comics for me.

I also really loved Anne Hathaway. She added a lot of levity without ever being campy. And I thought she and Bale had a really nice chemistry. Agreed also about JGL. I liked Cotilliard and Hardy too, but I thought Hathaway and JGL were the best of the new additions.

Also Michael Caine is truly fantastic. Hes the heart of this trilogy along with Oldman for me.
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  sagitare on Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:36 am

Kiran wrote:Also Michael Caine is truly fantastic. Hes the heart of this trilogy along with Oldman for me.

One thing I always liked about the previous two movies was that he and Bale always had at least one great scene together that was full of emotion and you really saw - and felt - just how much the two of them loved each other. I wish they had more of that in this movie but
Spoiler:
the scene where Alfred tells Bruce about the letter and is willing to let him go rather than continue on the path that he is was wonderful. I loved both Bale and Caine in that scene, especially Bale - his facial expression at one point was just heartbreaking.

And good point, Cleo, hee! I forgot about that line. Which reminds me,
Spoiler:
the appearance of Cillian Murphy was very cool and caught a lot of my audience off guard. His role was perfect, heh.

It really is that middle bit, isn't it, for those who found the movie lacking. It's a shame compared to the other two, as Wilddog27 pointed out.
sagitare

Back to top Go down

Post  QueenSix on Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:16 pm

It took me two viewings of the film, but I finally realised that Christopher "Teal'c from Stargate SG1" Judge is in this film, albeit a very bit part where you don't get a lot of look at him. I knew the voice was familiar to me first time round. Another SG1 connection was that William Devane was playing the US president, just like he did in the SG1 TV series. Hah. So a person could possibly extrapolate that it's the same universe (OMG!) and that that was actually Teal'c but he was brainwashed by Bane (who was actually a Goa'uld of course), and that Jack O'Neill and his trusty band were all off trying to get the Asgard to help them out but were busy fighting the replicators, which is why Batman had to sort things out himself.

What? It makes perfect sense!

I thought Anne Hathaway was excellent. She gets a lot of flack but she can go from sweetness to hard edged with the blink of an eye. I think if someone like her had been cast as Rachel in the first two films, the character might not have gotten as much derision. Granted, some of that had to do with the way Rachel was written but as much as I like Maggie Gyllenhaal in other roles, I never really warmed to her as Rachel. Anyway, Anne Hathaway was great.

What I know of the comics is what I'd read here. I'm interested in them but I don't buy them (except sometimes as graphic novels when they're all under one cover). But I wouldn't know who wrote what or what story such a part of the film is taken from or inspired by. Having said that, I had no problem with the film at all. I didn't even find the middle bit that long to be honest. I was actually very gripped by the whole thing and while I can see why other people would find it long, I was just sitting there eager to see where they were headed with each turn and how it was all going to end up. But I will say that when it comes to sci-fi or superhero movies, I will mostly give them a pass when it comes to long films. If this were a contemporary film about some guy taking over a city, I'd probably have been there eating M&M's thinking "Yawn! End this thing already *munch munch*"

The first time I saw the film, I thought Alfred was talking to
Spoiler:
Bruce's headstone when he started to cry and said "I failed you. I let you down." But last night, I realised he was talking to Dr & Mrs Wayne's headstones and that just broke my heart. Poor old Alfred. So I was delighted that he had that moment where he saw Bruce in Florence and that they both got closure

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:51 pm

Spoiler:
On Talia and "Robin" - I kind of get why Nolan would have been so adamant about saying Robin wasn't in this movie. He wasn't. John Blake was very much an amalgam of Dick, Jay, and Tim, but he wasn't really any of them. But the insistence that Marion Cotillard wasn't playing Talia strikes me as naive. I feel sorry for him that what he considered a major twist was spoiled a year before the movie came out, but from the moment she was cast I have never wavered in my conviction that she was playing Talia. It had nothing to do with any spoilers (though the little girl who accidentally spilled that she was young Talia pretty much confirmed it for me) - it's just the nature of the character and the genre.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  Unlucky Bear on Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:03 pm

Saw it, loved it, cried a little at the end.

When <<
Spoiler:
Batman and Catwoman kiss at the end
>>, someone in our theater yelled "We ain't got time for this shit!" and I just about died laughing.

I was surprised by the number of random actors I recognized in bit parts. Matthew Modine! Teal'c! Petyr Baelish! The Asian cop from Grimm! and so on.

Michael Caine killed me dead in this movie.
Unlucky Bear
Official Succubus

Back to top Go down

Post  Esseilte on Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:53 am

I loved this film so much - we're going back to see it at the IMAX since we couldn't get tickets for that at the weekend but didn't want to wait until later.

Thought it was fabulous, despite guessing basically all of the plot 'twists' - Joseph Gordon-Levitt basically stole the show for me, though. I just loved Blake.

Spoiler:
There aren't many actors, or many characters, who could appear in the third film of a trilogy and have such a large amount devoted to them without inspiring rage or resentment. It seemed right to spend time with Blake, I never thought 'Hey, shouldn't we be with Batman?'.

Despite knowing that he would end up with the Bat suit, and having a suspicion that they'd identify him as Robin (well, Dick Grayson did become Batman for a while) there was a point during the film where I honestly thought they'd kill him - I didn't think that about any of the others. Well, except that police officer who initially hid in his house, the rules of film said he'd die the minute he decided to not hide.

I really wish we'd seen him in the suit, or at least sort of holding the mask up to his face. I decided during the film I'd pay good money to see JGL as Batman.

I didn't like seeing

Spoiler:
Bruce Wayne so beaten down and wrecked, especially at the start. I kept wanting to shout "Rachel sucked! She doesn't deserve this!". And watching him get the absolute shit kicked out of him by Bane was horrible. I don't often wince at film violence but it was just so damn brutal. I'd have been satisfied with him going out as a hero, but I was happier with his little visit to Alfred. I also liked that he basically told Gordon who he was.

Anne Hathaway was exactly what I expected her to be - she played the part very well and some of her line deliveries had the audience creased, but her big cartoony features distracted me whenever she didn't have her mask on. Also, there were huge chunks of the film when I forgot she was in it at all. For me it was purely about Bruce Wayne and Blake.
Esseilte

Back to top Go down

Post  sen3 on Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:15 am

There aren't many actors, or many characters, who could appear in the third film of a trilogy and have such a large amount devoted to them without inspiring rage or resentment. It seemed right to spend time with Blake, I never thought 'Hey, shouldn't we be with Batman?'.

Yes, agreed. After the movie I thought that The (G*d-damn) Batman really didn't do a whole lot of the detective Batmanning (as opposed to ninja stuff) in this movie. But then realized that Blake did almost all that part of Batmanning which is awesome given the ending.

sen3

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames on Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:06 pm

Real minor, petty thing that bugged me:

Spoiler:
When the power was shut off at Wayne Manor. Because, seriously, Bruce had been "broke" (because, please, like he didn't have hidden Batman funds in secret accounts-- how else did he get back to Gotham?) for about eight hours. They cut off the power based on the idea that he wouldn't be able to pay the next bill? Is that how it works in Gotham?
RiverThames

http://www.mrmaresca.com

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:10 pm

I can see someone at Gotham P&E being punitive on that score. "He wiped out my IRA!" or something.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  MichiSichi on Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:00 am

So just saw it and I personally enjoyed it, I liked the plot twists and the ending. But my favorite ( as commented on my FB) was seeing every single role in the film taken by actors in my fave TV shows.
MichiSichi

Back to top Go down

Post  epudom on Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:55 pm

Just back from seeing it, and will have to do so again where I don't have to sit in the 2nd row as the cinema was so full. Michael Caine was probably my favourite thing about it - I think I welled up about 90% of the time he was on screen.
epudom

Back to top Go down

Post  jstilwe on Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:14 pm

jstilwe

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran on Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:16 pm

The cast and WB have been classy throughout this I have to say.
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  The Dude on Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:25 am

Bale didn't notify the press beforehand either.
The Dude

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:06 am

Night falls quickly in Gotham.

Bane takes over the stock exchange, which indicates that it's not yet 4:30pm in Gotham. His guy says that they have eight minutes until the application is complete. They burst out of the exchange in broad daylight. And yet, by the time Batman is in pursuit, it's full night.

Even assuming that incident takes place as late in the year as possible, judging by the timeline of the last half of the movie, it's early October. Even for a northerly city like Gotham, full night around 5pm after only four minutes or so of rapid dusk is pushing it.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames on Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:13 am

I just thought of this:
Spoiler:
Every person in the "Worst Prison Ever" was actually nice and helpful. The two old guys helped fix Bruce's back and got him going again. Everyone cheered when Bruce tried to climb. There was even the big guy with the rope every time Bruce climbed, all, "Hello, sir! Here's your climbing rope!" What kind of hellhole prison is this?
RiverThames

http://www.mrmaresca.com

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:21 am

The kind where
Spoiler:
the warden will kill you if you let his new prize die but didn't say anything about not helping him escape? And they assume anyone that Bane's that mad with could possibly help them out? Bruce does drop them a line after he gets out. I don't know.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  MichiSichi on Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:37 am

thats so true! I thought the same.
MichiSichi

Back to top Go down

Post  sagitare on Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:31 am

Yeah, that whole prison thing was extremely anti-climactic, IMO. Not only because of what RiverThames mentioned but also:
Spoiler:
in all those years since Talia escaped (and presumably Bane?) *no one else* has managed to leap that gap? Come on. That's apparently the only thing that keeps people from getting out. Surely *someone* else would have been able to do it. It didn't come across like that big of a deal - more of a mental issue than a physical one.
sagitare

Back to top Go down

Post  Matinee on Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:56 pm

Where exactly WAS that prison? And
Spoiler:
how the hell did he get back? Did he just walk from wherever to the bridge at just the right moment? I was assuming from the geography that it was another continent, but how did he fly back? He had no money or passport! And it's not like he could call someone to help him - it seems like the only people he knows are in Gotham. Did Batman steal a plane and/or car and just ditch it outside city limits?

Hell, on the resources point, how was he surviving in Italy? It's not like he'd be down with the cat-burglaring.

These are not the details I'm supposed to be dwelling on, right?

Matinee

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:10 pm

Matinee wrote:Where exactly WAS that prison? And
Spoiler:
how the hell did he get back? Did he just walk from wherever to the bridge at just the right moment? I was assuming from the geography that it was another continent, but how did he fly back? He had no money or passport! And it's not like he could call someone to help him - it seems like the only people he knows are in Gotham. Did Batman steal a plane and/or car and just ditch it outside city limits?

Hell, on the resources point, how was he surviving in Italy? It's not like he'd be down with the cat-burglaring.

These are not the details I'm supposed to be dwelling on, right?

I'm fairly certain there are some very wealthy secret accounts Bruce has access to for Batman activities that he used. Otherwise
Spoiler:
leaving Robin the "mantle of the Bat" would be essentially worthless since he wouldn't have any means to fund the toys he won't be getting gratis from Wayne Enterprises anymore.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  bbridges on Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:14 am

This movie actually made me retroactively enjoy the other Nolan Batman movies more. I liked them but this was such a wonderful conclusion. Also I love Bane!Voice. It was so theatrical and flourished and just delightful. And Selina was so great. More Catwoman, please!

I know that one of the most common complaints about the Nolan movies is that his Batman is insufficiently gothic but this movie really emphasized the gothic for me. One definition of gothic I've heard is that it's all about hidden things, the secret places where the true self lies. That's always true for Batman but this movie with it's heavy emphasis on masks really showcased it.
Spoiler:
Also "Bruce Wayne, Recluse" is the start of a gothic novel for sure. Blake's discussion of the masks you wear to hide the pain and Bane literally wearing a mask to prevent himself from feeling pain. Talia is the most gothic element of this story though, I mean she is born in a prison, is herself a secret and then when she escapes her own father wants her to forget. And then he exiles the only person who understands her! That is a grand gothic backstory if there is one.

I think I need to re-watch the other two movies and then see it again.
bbridges

Back to top Go down

Post  The Dude on Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:08 pm

The parallels I felt from Bane's Gotham were the Reign of Terror and the Red Terror in France and Russia. Bane was something of a Robespierre or Nestor Makhno how was really more interested in anarchy than their espoused political platform.

Loved Bane's voice. His super power was showmanship.
The Dude

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top