Benedict Cumberbatch

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Benedict Cumberbatch - Page 5 Empty Re: Benedict Cumberbatch

Post  Coneycat on Mon May 27, 2013 9:18 am

MtOlivePickles wrote:
bbridges wrote:I think a lot of the hate is because he is Benedict Cumberbatch and people feel completely justified hating on him in general. There was no comparable backlash against Tom Hardy for playing Bane who is Latino in the comics and even though the film changed it, still seemed of indeterminate but somewhat Arab/Middle Eastern descent. I don't think everyone feels this way, because obviously it is a real problem but the kind of personal attacks against BC have less to do with concern over the casting and more to do with "Now my hate of Benedict Cumberbatch is totally justified so I will kick it into even higher gears."

Oh yeah. I think I follow the people on Tumblr who hate him on principal alone, so I've been seeing wall-to-wall disgust when it comes to him. I had no idea that he even had hardcore fangirls until I started venturing out of that circle, and honestly, the haters annoy me more than the fans do.

Pullout: honestly, the haters annoy me more than the fans do.

Oh Christ yes. He's one of those actors I love, but I hate to bring up in an online forum because there's such a strong possibility that the discussion will immediately devolve into "let's all make fun of his fans." Well, that and the so-clever "let's all make up another stupid version of his name."

I've just seen Star Trek and I have no problem with either Cumberbatch in the role, or what was done with it. In fact,
Spoiler:
I would have been extremely uncomfortable if the character spewing "I am a savage, I am vicious by nature" had been a person of colour. Call me crazy, but that's one of my serious squicks. I'm not arguing with anyone else's opinion here, but I was retrospectively grateful the "savage" was played by a patrician white guy.

Coneycat

Posts : 546
Join date : 2011-10-24

Back to top Go down

Benedict Cumberbatch - Page 5 Empty Re: Benedict Cumberbatch

Post  Kiran on Mon May 27, 2013 12:35 pm

I disagree with you. Very much so. But that is not Benedict Cumberbatch's fault, to be honest. The handling of that role and the casting was JJ Abrams issue.
Kiran
Kiran

Posts : 2583
Join date : 2011-10-21

Back to top Go down

Benedict Cumberbatch - Page 5 Empty Re: Benedict Cumberbatch

Post  Cutebutpsycho on Mon May 27, 2013 5:36 pm

The thing for me is that the character is this wonderfully complex, smart, clever villain who has a sympathetic edge to him. Most of the time when PoCs are villains it's been one dimensional and stereotypical. I've seen too many Chinese be like mystical gangster Kung-fu ninjas that never had the depth of this character.

Being a villain isn't bad. It's just that we've had such shoddily written villains and when something conflicted and anti-hero comes along, it changes. That's the problem I have with this whole thing.
Cutebutpsycho
Cutebutpsycho

Posts : 710
Join date : 2011-10-21

Back to top Go down

Benedict Cumberbatch - Page 5 Empty Re: Benedict Cumberbatch

Post  Kiran on Mon May 27, 2013 5:44 pm

I completely agree. It also sits ill with me that ...the character is supposed to be part of the master race...so...they made him white.

Even if that wasn't intentional its horrifying me.
Kiran
Kiran

Posts : 2583
Join date : 2011-10-21

Back to top Go down

Benedict Cumberbatch - Page 5 Empty Re: Benedict Cumberbatch

Post  puddingcup on Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:30 pm

This made me laugh today: the Cumberbatch hates liquids.

puddingcup

Posts : 633
Join date : 2011-10-25

Back to top Go down

Benedict Cumberbatch - Page 5 Empty Re: Benedict Cumberbatch

Post  QueenSix on Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:01 pm

Hee. Good one!

QueenSix

Posts : 1314
Join date : 2011-10-22
Location : City of the Tribes, West of Ireland

Back to top Go down

Benedict Cumberbatch - Page 5 Empty Re: Benedict Cumberbatch

Post  Agent Sculder on Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:18 pm

I realized today that Benedict Cumberbatch is probably about to become as overexposed as Jude Law was that one year where Chris Rock joked that he was in "all the movies". Because seriously, this fall/winter he's in a jillion movies: The Fifth Estate, Twelve Years a Slave, August: Osage County, and the next Hobbit movie. He's also the narrator in a IMAX documentary about Jerusalem, and of course more Sherlock is on the way.

Man, is he going to be sick of doing talk shows.

Agent Sculder

Posts : 263
Join date : 2012-01-26

Back to top Go down

Benedict Cumberbatch - Page 5 Empty Re: Benedict Cumberbatch

Post  Cutebutpsycho on Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:13 pm

I know I've been wishing that Chris Rock would host the Oscars, because I can hear the routine in my head. Because I'm an asshole.

"AND SHIIIIT. THIS YEAR. BEN.E.DICT. CUM.BER.BATCH. Have you seen this motherfucker? Motherfucker's in EVERY.THING. Shiiiiit. Motherfucker's in EVERY.THING. He's making that Jamaican family from In Living Color look bad. He was even in my shower this morning, 'I'll be playing the part of you.' Oh you groan -- you groan, but did you see what he did with Kahn? Motherfucker started out as Indian, then became white! It's not a big step to be cast as me man. Dude's a good enough actor -- but I don't know if he can pull off Afro Circus...."

Cutebutpsycho
Cutebutpsycho

Posts : 710
Join date : 2011-10-21

Back to top Go down

Benedict Cumberbatch - Page 5 Empty Re: Benedict Cumberbatch

Post  Shalamar on Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:48 pm

That. Was. Hysterical. Now I'm really sorry Chris isn't hosting (not that I don't love Ellen).

My daughter's all mad at me because I got back from Toronto one day before B.C. arrived for the TIFF. I could've hidden him in my suitcase for me her!
Shalamar
Shalamar

Posts : 1002
Join date : 2011-10-21

Back to top Go down

Benedict Cumberbatch - Page 5 Empty Re: Benedict Cumberbatch

Post  Morning Angel on Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:26 pm

He was very good in August: Osage County, not that he has a huge role. (So was the whole cast, really.)  He even gets to sing! Apparently, Cumberbatch fans were at the screening because there was random clapping when he was on screen!
Morning Angel
Morning Angel

Posts : 477
Join date : 2011-10-24

Back to top Go down

Benedict Cumberbatch - Page 5 Empty Re: Benedict Cumberbatch

Post  Poubelle on Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:53 am

So he gets the accent down? I don't think I've ever heard him do any kind of American accent, let alone something specific as Oklahoma.

At least in the play, his character doesn't seem like one you'd clap for. Maybe the moment where he gets up in the middle of dinner and quickly decides not to drop the huge bomb on his family?

I'm also assuming his fans are responsible for IMDB giving him top billing.
Poubelle
Poubelle

Posts : 691
Join date : 2011-10-22

Back to top Go down

Benedict Cumberbatch - Page 5 Empty Re: Benedict Cumberbatch

Post  Morning Angel on Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:38 am

Poubelle wrote:So he gets the accent down? I don't think I've ever heard him do any kind of American accent, let alone something specific as Oklahoma.

At least in the play, his character doesn't seem like one you'd clap for. Maybe the moment where he gets up in the middle of dinner and quickly decides not to drop the huge bomb on his family?

I'm also assuming his fans are responsible for IMDB giving him top billing.
I thought his American accent was decent, especially compared to Ewan McGregor's. (It pains me to say this as I generally love Ewan McGregor's acting, but I'm rarely on board with his American accent. This is no exception.) However, I'm Canadian so I'm not versed in what an Oklahoma accent sounds like, and it seemed to me that the actors had different variations on a Southern accent, but I'm not sure who had it down best. (I would guess Meryl Streep!)

No, Cumberbatch's character is not particularly the one you clap for, though he's probably one of the sweeter characters, but some people just seemed excited to see him on screen. I thought he was very good with what he had to do.
Morning Angel
Morning Angel

Posts : 477
Join date : 2011-10-24

Back to top Go down

Benedict Cumberbatch - Page 5 Empty Re: Benedict Cumberbatch

Post  Agent Sculder on Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:24 am

It's good to hear that he was able to hold his own in that movie because I'm sure it must be very intimidating (at least at first) when confronted with the fact you will be acting with Meryl Streep.  Although he did attend the TIFF premiere of The Fifth Estate, I don't think he stayed in town because I heard he did not attend the premiere of August: Osage County.  I'm guessing he probably had to go back to the UK to work on one of his other projects.

As much as I enjoy watching his work, I really think he needs to take a long vacation or he is going to burn out.

Agent Sculder

Posts : 263
Join date : 2012-01-26

Back to top Go down

Benedict Cumberbatch - Page 5 Empty Re: Benedict Cumberbatch

Post  Cutebutpsycho on Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:59 pm

I suspect this is one of those "strike while the iron is hot," sort of things. Which I get. If everyone wanted to work with me and I was single and no family obligations, I'd be hustling like a motherfucker too.

Oaklahoma accent sounds like this. It's funny the regional dialects even within an accent. I remember hearing him attempt a New York accent once and I just cringed hardcore.
Cutebutpsycho
Cutebutpsycho

Posts : 710
Join date : 2011-10-21

Back to top Go down

Benedict Cumberbatch - Page 5 Empty Re: Benedict Cumberbatch

Post  Genevieve on Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:03 am

In talks to play Hamlet in the west end
Well then, I better get my schedule in order. (I told my cousin that she just has to get over the fact that she has to visit so we can go and see this.)
Genevieve
Genevieve

Posts : 679
Join date : 2011-10-21

Back to top Go down

Benedict Cumberbatch - Page 5 Empty Re: Benedict Cumberbatch

Post  Cutebutpsycho on Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:47 pm

So is your cousin coming out to seduce him and marry him and have like tons and tons of babies?
Cutebutpsycho
Cutebutpsycho

Posts : 710
Join date : 2011-10-21

Back to top Go down

Benedict Cumberbatch - Page 5 Empty Re: Benedict Cumberbatch

Post  Genevieve on Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:48 pm

Well of course. After all she IS a rational person.
Genevieve
Genevieve

Posts : 679
Join date : 2011-10-21

Back to top Go down

Benedict Cumberbatch - Page 5 Empty Re: Benedict Cumberbatch

Post  Cutebutpsycho on Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:28 pm

Can I come to the wedding? That's my only question.
Cutebutpsycho
Cutebutpsycho

Posts : 710
Join date : 2011-10-21

Back to top Go down

Benedict Cumberbatch - Page 5 Empty Re: Benedict Cumberbatch

Post  ActonBell on Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:35 pm

I like Cumberbatch as an actor, but I don't know if he has what it takes to pull off Hamlet. Mind you, I'm very picky about my Hamlets -- I love David Tennant but I so disliked his version of Hamlet that performance kind of ruined my fangirling of him.
ActonBell
ActonBell

Posts : 682
Join date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Benedict Cumberbatch - Page 5 Empty Re: Benedict Cumberbatch

Post  Genevieve on Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:02 pm

Cutebutpsycho wrote:Can I come to the wedding? That's my only question.
You can sit by me and live-tweet the whole shebang. Because I love you that much.
Genevieve
Genevieve

Posts : 679
Join date : 2011-10-21

Back to top Go down

Benedict Cumberbatch - Page 5 Empty Re: Benedict Cumberbatch

Post  Cutebutpsycho on Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:09 pm

ActonBell wrote:I like Cumberbatch as an actor, but I don't know if he has what it takes to pull off Hamlet. Mind you, I'm very picky about my Hamlets -- I love David Tennant but I so disliked his version of Hamlet that performance kind of ruined my fangirling of him.
I've never seen Hamlet (other than the Simpsons version), so I can't say. I dunno. Really, I just want to see him do a remake of Something Wild with Tom Hardy and Milia Kunis.

And Genevieve, you are a good friend. Also the Little Favour teaser was released. I have no idea what it's about, but apparently there's blood.
Cutebutpsycho
Cutebutpsycho

Posts : 710
Join date : 2011-10-21

Back to top Go down

Benedict Cumberbatch - Page 5 Empty Re: Benedict Cumberbatch

Post  ActonBell on Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:14 pm

Really, I just want to see him do a remake of Something Wild with Tom Hardy and Milia Kunis.
Now that would be amazing.
ActonBell
ActonBell

Posts : 682
Join date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Benedict Cumberbatch - Page 5 Empty Re: Benedict Cumberbatch

Post  Kiran on Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:14 pm

You never know though. The best Hamlet I've seen in years was Jude Law. I mean I adore Jude Law, I think hes super talented, but I don't know if I would have seen him as Hamlet. And Cumberbatch is originally from the theatre.

That Something Wild remake lives on in my heart.

And if Genevieve was such a good friend she wouldn't be impeding my love of and disgust of my love of him.
Kiran
Kiran

Posts : 2583
Join date : 2011-10-21

Back to top Go down

Benedict Cumberbatch - Page 5 Empty Re: Benedict Cumberbatch

Post  Cutebutpsycho on Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:25 pm

I feel like Kiran's relationship with him could be a movie of its own. Just this weird antagonistic romantic black comedy.

I agree on him though -- he's been shoved into so many "posh intelligent creepster" roles that it's hard to remember that he also does comedy pretty well and does have a range. I think it's gonna depend on the people he works with -- terrible direction is like getting hamstrung.
Cutebutpsycho
Cutebutpsycho

Posts : 710
Join date : 2011-10-21

Back to top Go down

Benedict Cumberbatch - Page 5 Empty Re: Benedict Cumberbatch

Post  Agent Sculder on Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:18 pm

He's done really good work in the theater before, so assuming the director isn't terrible, I'm sure he'll be a very good Hamlet. And since it's not going to happen until next year, maybe I can save up and actually get to see it!

Somewhere else a person mentioned that they thought he was better suited to playing someone like Iago in Othello (which I agree he'd hit out of the park), but he's played a lot of creepy, smart guys. It's almost too bad that Joss Whedon recently did his film version of Much Ado About Nothing because I'd love to see him take a role like Benedick.

Agent Sculder

Posts : 263
Join date : 2012-01-26

Back to top Go down

Benedict Cumberbatch - Page 5 Empty Re: Benedict Cumberbatch

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum