Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Benedict Cumberbatch

+38
Shalamar
bbridges
rivki8699
MtOlivePickles
whatthedeuce
year of the cat
Instant Monkeys
Corellderaan
mialoubug
naughty zoot
Dachelle
izzypop
Pop'n'Fresh
QueenSix
sagitare
ariadne
epudom
sixchooks
Putli Bai
Crackie
FiggyPudding
Kiran
Poubelle
Rhilin
salamandersam
eco
blixie
Agent Sculder
puddingcup
Genevieve
Gallifrey Girl
bookworm
Cutebutpsycho
Miss Moneypenny
Coneycat
laddical
Cynara
particle_person
42 posters

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Benedict Cumberbatch - Page 3 Empty Re: Benedict Cumberbatch

Post  Pop'n'Fresh Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:59 am

The RSC plays that were released on DVD were likely always planned to be released, thus all the original contracts would have had a DVD release clause in them. The National don't release their productions on DVD and were likely not anticipating the demand for this production so would have to go back and renegotiate DVD rights with every performer. Then there's music rights, since the production uses a lot of preexisting tracks (unlike RSC productions which mainly use in-house musicians, or something like the Tennant and Tate Much Ado which exclusively used music written and recorded for that production) which is always a nightmare and can be very expensive. They'd either have to pay for the DVD rights to use each piece of music or replace the music tracks.

Pop'n'Fresh

Back to top Go down

Post  ariadne Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:41 am

Thanks for clarifying, Pop'n'Fresh.

ariadne

Back to top Go down

Post  Gallifrey Girl Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:33 am

So last week I saw Benedict as The Creature. Today I went again and saw Benedict as...The Creature. Yup, they played the wrong one!

I was with a friend who wasn't able to come last week, so she was fine seeing that version. So I watched it again (which was fine!) Afterwards, the manager was waiting outside to deal with any who complained.

It was a small audience, maybe 20 people. Apparently five people had left near the beginning (I saw one woman leave to tell them as soon as it was obvious it was BC as the Creature, she returned five minutes later and her whole party then left.)

I wasn't sure what to expect from the manager, I did stay after all, so I wasn't expecting my money back. What I did want was to see the other version! So he apologised, said he didn't realise there were two versions when he put the DVD in. He said he was going to come in early tomorrow morning to play the correct version at 9:30 am. He said if we couldn't come to that, he'd make sure we worked out a time when we could watch it. I was very pleased that it wasn't an apology and (perhaps) a refund, but rather understanding that making it right meant seeing the one they didn't play. So I'm off to the cinema at practically the crack of dawn on a Sunday morning!

The upside is that my friend, who was only going to make it to one version, will now see both.

Gallifrey Girl

Back to top Go down

Post  izzypop Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:31 pm

For more lovely Benedict Cumberbatch voice, he plays Captain Martin Crieff in Cabin Pressure on BBC Radio 4e.

izzypop

Back to top Go down

Post  Dachelle Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:25 am

Gallifrey Girl, how did you like Benedict as Frankenstein? I only made it to see him as the Creature and thought he gave a brilliant performance. I liked Jonny Lee Miller as Frankenstein, although I did think he must have been getting hot under that wig by the end. The one weak spot in the production for me was Kingsley Shacklebolt as the dad, which is sad because I was excited at first to see him, but he just wasn't good for me.

Dachelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Gallifrey Girl Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:47 am

Dachelle, I very much enjoyed BC as Victor. I thought JLM was great too, but I'd give a slight edge to BC as I thought his Victor had a bit more gravitas. I was impressed with both their interpretations of the Creature.

JLM did seem to be sweating up a storm under the wig, though BC was sweaty too. That actually made me think about the filmed closeups of a live play - one sees things one probably wouldn't notice if one was in the audience, due to the distance. I spotted the wires in BC's hair, going down the back of his neck that I assume was for the microphone, but never saw the actual mike in his hair. (I did see the Father's mic attached to his ear - I guess because he's bald there's no where to hide it in hair!) But that got me thinking about how was the Creature mic'd? I looked and never spotted it.

I admit to being slightly distracted by BC's bald cap coming unglued behind his left ear! I read some articles after I watched that mentioned 2 1/2 hours to put all the prosthetics on! I was amazed by how the make-up stayed in place with all that rolling around on the floor, and the water from the rain! And from the intro video I noticed how many tattoos JLM had on his arms, which were masterfully covered up.

You are not alone in your opinion of the actor playing the Dad. Reading some UK newspaper reviews after I'd seen it for the first time, he seemed to be the only other actor singled out for a mention, all of which seemed to be negative. I thought he was ok myself, but the reviews were definitely in my head as I watched it again. The child playing the brother was much better for BC/Creature - but that's the weird thing about seeing different actors in the same role, I'm sure I would've thought the other child was fine if I hadn't had someone to compare him to!

I'll spoiler this plot point in case it does come out on DVD sometime, and there's someone else out there who was as unfamiliar with the plot as I was:

Spoiler:

I would've loved to have seen it live, but as that wasn't in the cards, I'm very glad that they filmed it! BC rocked the frock coat very nicely. (Though I enjoyed all the costumes!) The staging was wonderful. I can't say that I noticed the music the first time I watched, but after several reviews mentioned it, I did pay more attention to it second time around, and it was good.

And to end my story about the mixed up versions - one of the workers stood at the side and when they'd finished fast-forwarding through all the intro stuff, he called out "is this the one?!". We had to tell him to give us a sec, as you can't tell for the first 30 seconds or so! And the manager gave us all coupons to come back for a free "special event" (ie, the higher ticket price that this was vs a regular movie!) So I ended up seeing it three times total for the price of one!

Gallifrey Girl

Back to top Go down

Post  naughty zoot Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:57 am

naughty zoot
naughty zoot

Back to top Go down

Post  mialoubug Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:42 am

naughty zoot wrote:Otters who look like him.

That made me laugh out loud!
mialoubug
mialoubug

Back to top Go down

Post  sixchooks Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:13 pm

Gallifrey Girl wrote:
I'll spoiler this plot point in case it does come out on DVD sometime, and there's someone else out there who was as unfamiliar with the plot as I was:

Spoiler:

This review from Sherlockology discusses a few things that were different between the filmed versions and the live performance, some of them rather startling. It may explain the plot point you mention, as well as the fact that they clothed the Creature to film him in the opening scene, where he was truly naked during every unfilmed performance. Damn you prudish audiences worldwide!
sixchooks
sixchooks

Back to top Go down

Post  Corellderaan Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:24 am

Alternate names for Benedict Cumberbatch

I have been laughing for about 2 hours now.

Corellderaan

Back to top Go down

Post  Cutebutpsycho Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:54 am

I still like QueenSix's mother's mangling of PaddyJoe Cumberbund, but there's also these that my friends and husband made up:

Benderdink Humperpants
Wafflecrisp Pumpkinpatch
Engelbert Humperpatch

But the Beach Boys reference was inspired.
Cutebutpsycho
Cutebutpsycho

Back to top Go down

Post  Genevieve Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:21 pm

Benihana Cockamamie
Benalux Coo Coo Ca Choo
Genevieve
Genevieve

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:24 pm

My favorite from this list is definitely Bendystraw Hammerpants.
Instant Monkeys
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:56 pm

I'm kinda drunk but I had a dream about him that we were married and he was super judgey and kept reminding me about how I was from a lower class than him and he'd given up everything for me and I was like yeah well you look like the baby from Splice, but idk I was kind of into it because I'm attracted to dysfunction (remember Bear magazine) and now I think I love him more. Like hes not racist or sexist hes just a catty judgey bitch and so am I so the more he shows his ass the more into it I am and its expressing itself through dream form even though HIS FACE HAS NO BONES.
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  Cutebutpsycho Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:26 pm

You are drunk. The only dream I've had of him is that we were sitting in my favorite bar discussing music and I was muttering about how everyone was going to be pissed off at me because I was picking out the music. He kept wanting Mumford and Sons and I told him no and mocked his music choices. Then he tried flirting with me and my response was, "Someday you're going to make some woman happy and have a bunch of beautiful kids. But until then, I'm going home with my husband and your music choices need more bass."
Cutebutpsycho
Cutebutpsycho

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:35 pm

One time I had a dream and YOU were in it and you stole Topher Grace away from me and then were really smug about it. I think I've told you that before.

ANYWAY, yeah he REALLY wants babies. Hes like the male version of the US weekly version of Jennifer Aniston but for real. But sometimes I really want a baby too. Like not a lot cause I'm 25 and I DRINK A LOT but you know eventually. You guys I really think even though I'm drunk I have the right idea about this.
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  Cutebutpsycho Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:47 pm

Look. You can have Lamperdick Funkybunch, I'll keep Topher. We'll be all happy and have like playdates and stuff.
Cutebutpsycho
Cutebutpsycho

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:49 pm

His name is Shazam McQueen.
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  year of the cat Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:54 pm

Frimulos Bandersnatch
Worterly Clutterbuck
Butter Chicken

Last edited by year of the cat on Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:18 am; edited 1 time in total
year of the cat
year of the cat

Back to top Go down

Post  Genevieve Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:56 am

Why not make babies with him. You could become Kiran Cuttysark. After all it isn't every day you can be married to Teakdeck Thunderpitch.
Genevieve
Genevieve

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:59 am

This game goes on long enough, eventually someone will, in all seriousness, put the name "Benedict Cumberbatch" on one of those lists of joke names.
laddical
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person Sun May 12, 2013 1:26 am

It's not that I give a damn about Cumberbatch, it's that Caitlin Moran is hilarious.
http://cumberbatchweb.tumblr.com/post/50122500169/caitlin-moran-whats-not-to-love-about-benedict
He nearly died in India: “I got mountain sickness. Lost on a mountain. It was a pathetic expedition – Mallory-like. We were woefully under-prepared. I had simply… an extra scarf my mother had knitted me and a… piece of cheese.”
particle_person
particle_person
Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran Sun May 12, 2013 1:33 am

I think Caitlin Moran is a talented writer (though I have issues with her) but that is his quote so in that specific case, hes the hilarious one. I enjoyed the article as a whole though.
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical Sun May 12, 2013 1:57 am

Glad to read the part where he declines to refer to his fans as "Cumberbitches".

He seems thoroughly delightful and I'm really trying not to let one or two things that aren't his fault ruin him for me.
laddical
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran Sun May 12, 2013 2:05 am

Yeah, I enjoy him too and keep telling myself that
Spoiler:
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content