Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Game of Thrones

+60
Gallifrey Girl
slmader
Agent Sculder
UmaOprah
shanndee
katesti
Gilraen
whatthedeuce
xyzzy
Regina Filangie
Cutebutpsycho
QueenSix
dionneshea
Carrie Ann
ariadne
salamandersam
jennlynnster
draco vulgaris
Muggsy
RiverThames
jstilwe
sunni94
filwdork
sen3
Me Talk Pretty
Fiammetta
Shalamar
Kookla
BreezyK
naughty zoot
Cynara
punzy
mialoubug
Kiran
emrie
bbridges
Instant Monkeys
Matinee
bookworm
CindyMc
CherryFlame
Jessica
Shadowlass
inversed
Eris Rising
Unlucky Bear
Corvus
TiffanyNichelle
wenchsenior
ulkis
VodouDoll
screamin
queenofdenile
sagitare
biakbiak
ActonBell
Red Wolf
The Dude
punkysdilemma
blixie
64 posters

Page 8 of 17 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 12 ... 17  Next

Go down

Game of Thrones  - Page 8 Empty Re: Game of Thrones

Post  Kookla Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:55 pm

It goes without saying that the Red Wedding (as it is apparently called) was freaking brutal. It's not that I didn't see it coming (I was basically watching the whole episode behind my fingers, there was such an atmosphere of dread for me even though I wasn't spoiled). But when they closed the doors and The Rains of Castamere started playing... man.

That being said, I really feel as though I'm reacting to the horribleness of the event itself, rather than any prolongued sense of mourning for Robb, Talisa, and Catelyn as characters. Even though Robb was the defacto protagonist (or some might argue a red-herring protagonist) he's been given little to do and hasn't been terribly enthralling on-screen. His character was totally stalled. I'm not even saying that as a criticism of the show, I just think they set it up that way so that even though everyone is all, "OMGWTFIHATETHISSHOWFOREVER," when the dust settles it will be rather clear that his death propelled the story forward more than his continually being alive would. Same with Catelyn. Watching another season of faltering military strategy would not be very interesting. Don't get me wrong, I am totally FLOORED and what happened to them was *ridiculous* and completely undeserved. And I *liked* Robb, but I can't make any real argument for keeping him alive narratively other than, "but he was a good guy!" I like that this story is totally messing with the standard hero conventions. Not sure if I explained that correctly, but it makes sense in my head.

My husband says he can't listen to The Rains of Castamere anymore even though he loves The National version because it just has horrible connotations now that we've seen what we've seen (as oppsed to the end of Season 2 Episode 9 when it was just kind of like, "wow, the Lannisters are kind of badass aren't they?"). But I always found that song very, very eerie and borderline mournful in its tone, almost like it's not being sung BY the Lannisters, but by the rest of the world in remembrance or something. I know that doesn't make total sense because it is basically the Lannisters' F-U song, but the actual music makes me think more of a requiem (I know the effect might be different in the book). So the song has always been a little more complex to me.

Kookla

Back to top Go down

Post  Unlucky Bear Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:31 pm

Yeah, "The Rains of Castamere" isn't supposed to be the Lannisters' anthem, it's more a subtle fuck-you to Tywin, a subversive reminder that the Lannisters are bloodthirsty shitheads and everyone secretly hates them. In the book, I think, the minstrels are playing "The Bear and the Maiden Fair," right? But Walder Frey (someone on i09 called him "that fucking Squib," lol) totally meant it as a "this is what we do to traitors" thing.
Unlucky Bear
Unlucky Bear
Official Succubus

Back to top Go down

Post  bbridges Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:59 pm

No, they definitely play "The Rains of Castamere" because that is how Catelyn knows something bad is going down. It might have been written as a subtle fuck you to Tywin but he doesn't seem to mind since the books say that he sends minstrels to play it to any lord he feels is getting ideas about rebelling.
bbridges
bbridges

Back to top Go down

Post  draco vulgaris Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:38 am

The Dude wrote:From this day forward the ultimate dick move at a wedding will be getting the band to play The Rains of Castamere.

If I ever wind up getting married, I am doing this.

draco vulgaris

Back to top Go down

Post  The Dude Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:18 am

The Dude
The Dude

Back to top Go down

Post  Corvus Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:53 am

Too soon?
Corvus
Corvus

Back to top Go down

Post  The Dude Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:04 pm

The Dude
The Dude

Back to top Go down

Post  biakbiak Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:08 pm

That has to be the first time I was ever moved by a Taylor Swift song!
biakbiak
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:16 pm

does anyone remember which episode this season had Tyrion moving his chair as possible from Tywin while the rest tried to get super close to him during the council meeting? Thanks

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  Kookla Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:48 am

This show, seriously. Last week I was thinking I would never be able to enjoy Tywin Lannister again in the wake of his Red Wedding plot. This week: he's still amazing to watch.

The episode seemed like a lot of bits of nothing, though when I think about where this season has brought us, it's actually far (on most storylines). And it's quite interesting that the week after three "good guy" deaths (though I really did not like Catelyn) they highlighted a couple more good guys for the audience: Davos and Yara. Actually, I don't know if Yara is going to turn out to be good, but I'm definitely in the, "tell me more!" camp with her after her scene this week.

Kookla

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:08 pm

Kookla wrote:Actually, I don't know if Yara is going to turn out to be good, but I'm definitely in the, "tell me more!" camp with her after her scene this week.

I loved her bit. I mean, it was pure swagger, essentially saying, "I'm bringing two things: a whole keg of whoop ass... and a tap." But I bought it.
RiverThames
RiverThames

http://www.mrmaresca.com

Back to top Go down

Post  punzy Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:58 am

After the last episode a guy on reddit asked his Dad to name all the characters. The results are hilarious.

punzy

Back to top Go down

Post  Shadowlass Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:05 pm

Heh, that's awesome. It reminds me of this post featuring character shorthand such as "Cool Girl," "Incest Knight," and "Peter Dinklage."

(That guy's dad can actually recognize more characters on sight than I can, although I'm better with the names....)

Shadowlass

Back to top Go down

Post  jennlynnster Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:39 pm

A Game of Hodor (opening credits).  It's very Hodor.

jennlynnster

Back to top Go down

Post  Unlucky Bear Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:14 pm

Hodor:
Unlucky Bear
Unlucky Bear
Official Succubus

Back to top Go down

Post  salamandersam Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:30 pm

Unlucky Bear wrote:
Hodor:

salamandersam

Back to top Go down

Post  ariadne Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:10 pm

So apparently I have a lot of thoughts about the emmy nominations. While I'm glad GoT actors got in, I am not overwhelmed by the choices. Emilia Clarke over Lena Headey, Clarice van Houton, Maisie Williams, Michelle Fairley?? And I do love Peter Dinklage, but he hasn't really had a prominent scene that showcases his talent this season, unlike Nikolaj Coster-Waldau and his scene in the bath in 'Kissed by Fire'. I don't know, it just feels lazy. 'Oh we better nominate some Game of Thrones actors this year. Who's prominent in the marketing campaigns? Stick 'em in there'. I'm not sure the panel actually watched any episodes.
But Diana Rigg for 'Outstanding Guest Actress in a Drama Series' is goooood!

And in other news, any guesses who Mark Gattiss will be playing?

ariadne

Back to top Go down

Post  punzy Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:49 pm

Margery and Loras' Dad? He will have to show up for the royal wedding at least.

punzy

Back to top Go down

Post  inversed Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:51 pm

ariadne, I felt the same way about the Emmy noms. Emilia Clarke is one of the weakest of the lead actresses on that show, in my opinion, so for her to get the nod over the others you mentioned (Maisie Williams in particular) was bizarre.

inversed

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:54 pm

ariadne wrote:So apparently I have a lot of thoughts about the emmy nominations. While I'm glad GoT actors got in, I am not overwhelmed by the choices. Emilia Clarke over Lena Headey, Clarice van Houton, Maisie Williams, Michelle Fairley?? And I do love Peter Dinklage, but he hasn't really had a prominent scene that showcases his talent this season, unlike Nikolaj Coster-Waldau and his scene in the bath in 'Kissed by Fire'. I don't know, it just feels lazy. 'Oh we better nominate some Game of Thrones actors this year. Who's prominent in the marketing campaigns? Stick 'em in there'. I'm not sure the panel actually watched any episodes.
But Diana Rigg for 'Outstanding Guest Actress in a Drama Series' is goooood!

And in other news, any guesses who Mark Gattiss will be playing?

Yeah, i'm pretty sure that's why Emilia Clarke got her nod. Michelle Fairley should have gotten it. I can understand why Clarice and Maisie didn't get it though, they didn't really have much to show off with.

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  The Dude Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:14 pm

I think this guy was on the nominating committee.

http://0.tqn.com/d/humor/1/0/7/M/-/-/snl-game-of-thrones-sketch.png
The Dude
The Dude

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:41 pm

Coster-Waldau should've gotten in over Dinklage. That bathtub scene is one of the best the show has ever done.

With the actresses, though - Emilia Clarke had a whole season's worth of good material, and Michelle Fairley had one good episode and a monologue about Jon Snow. I can't say they made the wrong call there. But I like Clarke in general. When she has actual good material I think she's great. It's just when they have her screeching "WHERE ARE MY DRAGONS" for an entire season that she comes off badly, and honestly, who could make that writing work?
queenofdenile
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  The Dude Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:09 pm

Am I alone thinking Gleason is getting short shrift in the nominations? He's embodied that little shit as one of the most contemptible villians in tv history.
The Dude
The Dude

Back to top Go down

Post  The Dude Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:37 am

The Dude
The Dude

Back to top Go down

Post  emrie Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:25 pm

HBO has released a 14 minute teaser for season 4. And it is awesome. It definitely has spoilers for the general direction of things, but no major plot twists. Book readers will catch things but I think you could watch as a TV show fan and not have anything ruined. Plus there's some great funny interview bits with the actors. (Gwendolyn Christie is...kinda crazy. In a good way.)

And there's a shot of Tyrion and Jaime choreographing a dance together mid-scene. Apparently the crew was not amused.

emrie

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 17 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 12 ... 17  Next