Game of Thrones

Page 15 of 17 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16, 17  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Game of Thrones

Post  UmaOprah on Tue May 03, 2016 3:13 pm

I don't disagree that we really don't need to see more explicit violence from Ramsay (I'm stressed out enough when he's even on screen) but what I thought was interesting about both killings was how uneasy he looked during/after. I actually only noticed it with Roose the first time (and the way his hands seemed to be shaking as he cleaned the knife) but someone pointed out how he looked away then seemed to make himself look back with Walda and the baby (which I totally agree with on rewatch).

I had mixed feelings about them actually showing as much as they did but maybe it served to show us Ramsay knows killing family is stepping the game up a bit and isn't as confident with his decision to do it. ...Maybe?

UmaOprah

Back to top Go down

Post  jstilwe on Wed May 04, 2016 8:07 am

bookworm wrote:I saw an article about the scene with his step-mom and baby which pretty much nailed my feelings on it.  Killing an infant was really unnecessary as a plot device.  We already know he's horrific and has no human decency.  Feeding his baby brother to the dogs was way OTT, even for George R.R. Martin.
I think this show has broken me, because that made perfect sense to me. We've already seen tons of baby killing on the show (the Lannisters having all of Robert's bastards murdered, Tilly's dad whose name I forget,  and quite a few from the books that didn't make it to the show). We know Ramsey is fond of torturing and killing people with his dogs. I've been expecting that poor baby to get eaten since we knew Walda was pregnant. I agree that it's repulsive, but I think it made total sense within the show universe.

jstilwe

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis on Wed May 04, 2016 10:10 am

UmaOprah wrote:I don't disagree that we really don't need to see more explicit violence from Ramsay (I'm stressed out enough when he's even on screen) but what I thought was interesting about both killings was how uneasy he looked during/after. I actually only noticed it with Roose the first time (and the way his hands seemed to be shaking as he cleaned the knife) but someone pointed out how he looked away then seemed to make himself look back with Walda and the baby (which I totally agree with on rewatch).

I had mixed feelings about them actually showing as much as they did but maybe it served to show us Ramsay knows killing family is stepping the game up a bit and isn't as confident with his decision to do it. ...Maybe?

Naaaah.

I too was disappointed Bolton fell for that.

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  Carrie Ann on Wed May 04, 2016 10:58 am

jstilwe wrote:
bookworm wrote:I saw an article about the scene with his step-mom and baby which pretty much nailed my feelings on it.  Killing an infant was really unnecessary as a plot device.  We already know he's horrific and has no human decency.  Feeding his baby brother to the dogs was way OTT, even for George R.R. Martin.
I think this show has broken me, because that made perfect sense to me.[...]We know Ramsey is fond of torturing and killing people with his dogs. I've been expecting that poor baby to get eaten since we knew Walda was pregnant. I agree that it's repulsive, but I think it made total sense within the show universe.
Of course he was going to do it, especially once he killed Roose. So to me, the frustration was that they wasted time showing it at all (and yes, especially when it is so abhorrent, because it's the kind of thing that makes me wonder every Sunday if I'm really in the mood to watch this show). It might have caused feelings of dread at what was coming, but it was not suspenseful. We know he's depraved and ruthless, showing us in detail again tells us nothing new. We never knew Walda and the child, so showing their deaths is unnecessary for closure. It was basically the definition of shock for shock value (although, again, only in the sense of how gruesome it is to watch an innocent woman and baby be killed, not because the audience didn't see it coming), which is a waste of time and good will on this show that needs more of both for other characters we actually GAF about.

Instead, we could have seen him call for Walda and the child, and then later cut to see him walking away from the stable, screams and snarls in the background, and we could have still seen any conflicted/unhinged look on his face (I personally didn't notice because my head was under a blanket at that point), which would have been the ONLY bit of that act that would serve any future narrative purpose.
Carrie Ann

Back to top Go down

Post  Corvus on Wed May 04, 2016 12:16 pm

"...not because the audience didn't see it coming..."

To my view, it was Roose who should have seen it coming. The unbelievable thing to me was the servant coming in and making the announcement to the new father and step-brother together. A schemer like Roose would have made sure he learned first and invited Ramsey to a meeting that included a squad of waiting guards and Ramsey would vanish from history.

It's not so much how shocked we are, but how unshocked everyone else is going to be. Yes, mauled by dogs is hideous, but no one in Westeros (or any other country) is going to be surprised that it happened.

I am reminded of the exchange from Lion in Winter:

Eleanor: And when you die, which is regrettable but necessary, what will happen to frail Alais and her pruny prince? You can't think Richard's going to wait for your grotesque to grow.
Henry II: You wouldn't let him do a thing like that.
Eleanor: Let him? I'd push him through the nursery door.
Henry II: You're not that cruel.
Eleanor: Don't fret. We'll wait until you're dead to do it.
Corvus

Back to top Go down

Post  Fiammetta on Wed May 04, 2016 1:59 pm

Yeah, I think they could have stopped at Ramsay fetching Walda and the baby, and we would have gotten the point.

I am not entirely sure why Davos was so emotionally invested in Jon's resurrection. Yeah, the Night's Watch is a mess and they need a leader, but Jon's men did mutiny against him after all. And does Davos know about Melissandre's actual killing of Shireen, or just that the little girl is dead?

Fiammetta

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie on Wed May 04, 2016 4:23 pm

Davos doesn't know Shireen is dead nor does he know that Melisandre "required" it. I mean at least AFAIK.

I think Davos respected and trusted that Jon knew what time it was in the North and at the Wall. And he's essentially a man w/o a Leader, and Jon is/was the last hope against the impending shadow of the Ice Zombie army, so yeah after all he's been through he is determined to see that fight through to the end and who's "camp" should he turn to? Ramsay and the Boltons? Fuck no. Allister Thorne? He's shit out of options basically, but it helps that he liked/respected Jon when he was alive.

blixie
Mod Squad

http://thesnarkening.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  dionneshea on Wed May 04, 2016 5:40 pm

Davos does know that Shireen is dead because when Melisandre showed up, one of the first things he asked was, "The princess?" and Melisandre shook her head at him. But he doesn't know that Melisandre killed her. I wish he would find out and take her out now that Jon's back.
dionneshea

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie on Wed May 04, 2016 5:56 pm

Ah, that's right, but yeah he basically doesn't know the circumstance of her death, he's just assuming she was collateral damage in the battle with Ramsay/Winterfell, which is technically correct but UGH, yeah I want him to find out. I kind of hope she and her specific magic, actually had nothing to do with resurrecting Jon.

blixie
Mod Squad

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames on Wed May 04, 2016 9:21 pm

Corvus wrote:"...not because the audience didn't see it coming..."

To my view, it was Roose who should have seen it coming. The unbelievable thing to me was the servant coming in and making the announcement to the new father and step-brother together. A schemer like Roose would have made sure he learned first and invited Ramsey to a meeting that included a squad of waiting guards and Ramsey would vanish from history.

I honestly think Roose's was only about ten seconds away from doing the same thing to Ramsey.
RiverThames

http://www.mrmaresca.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Corvus on Wed May 04, 2016 10:12 pm

Timing is everything.
Corvus

Back to top Go down

Post  naughty zoot on Thu May 05, 2016 11:31 am

Ramsey is FAR worse in the books. Book spoilers, if you haven't read them.
naughty zoot

Back to top Go down

Post  UmaOprah on Thu May 05, 2016 2:31 pm

naughty zoot wrote:Ramsey is FAR worse in the books. Book spoilers, if you haven't read them.

I am so glad I stopped reading these books.

UmaOprah

Back to top Go down

Post  jennlynnster on Thu May 05, 2016 5:54 pm

blixie wrote:Ah, that's right, but yeah he basically doesn't know the circumstance of her death, he's just assuming she was collateral damage in the battle with Ramsay/Winterfell, which is technically correct but UGH, yeah I want him to find out. I kind of hope she and her specific magic, actually had nothing to do with resurrecting Jon.

Same. I want the real Jon Snow back. So, I'm hoping this had everything to do with his warg abilities.

jennlynnster

Back to top Go down

Post  katesti on Thu May 05, 2016 8:36 pm

Man oh man, never has a post made me so glad I quit this show.

(I am obviously still keeping up on plot developments, however.)

katesti

Back to top Go down

Post  naughty zoot on Mon May 16, 2016 8:37 pm

I shrieked, I laughed, and I cried all within the first 5 minutes. Even the pointless death of Osha wasn't enough to dull the joy of finally having 2 Starks in the same place at the same time.
naughty zoot

Back to top Go down

Post  Corvus on Mon May 16, 2016 8:46 pm

Osha: What a waste. I didn't find it plausible that a character that clever (as a survivalist) would fall for that set up.
Laughed: Edd watching Tormund looking at Brienne.
Chilled: Davos watching Brienne looking at Mellisandre.
Smirked: Daenerys looking at the (soon to be ex) Khals.
Oleana looking at Cersie. Varys looking at everyone.

Who needs dialog when your cast can do so much with a look?
Corvus

Back to top Go down

Post  katesti on Mon May 16, 2016 10:42 pm

naughty zoot wrote:I shrieked, I laughed, and I cried all within the first 5 minutes. Even the pointless death of Osha wasn't enough to dull the joy of finally having 2 Starks in the same place at the same time.

Was accidentally still sitting on the couch when my husband started this episode. Even though I haven't watched since the episode before Sansa's rape - I got spoiled for that and peaced out - I also got emotional at that reunion. "SHE HASN'T SEEN A FRIENDLY FACE IN LIKE FOUR SEASONS" was basically what I hollered.

katesti

Back to top Go down

Post  dionneshea on Tue May 17, 2016 2:01 pm

A review said that it was nice to see these characters smile again, because neither one had genuinely smiled in a few seasons. And it was. I love that they laughed together. It was also slightly hilarious to see just how much taller Sophie Turner is than Kit Harington. I wonder if they're going to shoot around that in all their scenes. They tried to mask it with the hug by making it look like he was lifting her up, but it didn't work. And the rest of their scenes had them sitting.

I'm upset about Osha. And I hope that Tyrion has something up his sleeve, because that deal he brokered was kind of bullshit. And speaking of non-verbal acting, the side-eyes that Missandei and Grey Worm keep giving Tyrion give me life.
dionneshea

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie on Tue May 17, 2016 2:21 pm

I wonder if they're going to shoot around that in all their scenes.

This is my biggest argument for why Sansa-Jon pairing is not in the offing, at least not on screen (though for their first scene together they had a lot of non sibling chemistry, and made me consider seriously for the first time ever). I'm like Kit is TINY and so is Emilia, ahem, but Sophie is super tall relatively.

blixie
Mod Squad

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis on Fri May 20, 2016 1:20 pm

katesti wrote:
naughty zoot wrote:I shrieked, I laughed, and I cried all within the first 5 minutes. Even the pointless death of Osha wasn't enough to dull the joy of finally having 2 Starks in the same place at the same time.

Was accidentally still sitting on the couch when my husband started this episode. Even though I haven't watched since the episode before Sansa's rape - I got spoiled for that and peaced out - I also got emotional at that reunion. "SHE HASN'T SEEN A FRIENDLY FACE IN LIKE FOUR SEASONS" was basically what I hollered.

I've watched it a bajillion times and probably still will a couple of times. I wish their conversation delved a little deeper but oh well, I know they got a ton of crap characters they still gotta show.

This is my biggest argument for why Sansa-Jon pairing is not in the offing, at least not on screen (though for their first scene together they had a lot of non sibling chemistry, and made me consider seriously for the first time ever). I'm like Kit is TINY and so is Emilia, ahem, but Sophie is super tall relatively.

Do I have to choose either? *Jon-like-pout*

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  emrie on Sun May 22, 2016 11:10 pm

Well, shit. That was some Lost-Desmond-Constant-level tearjerking time travel stuff right there. Wow. First time I've felt emotional about this show in awhile. Poor Hodor.

Also, I love badass Sansa.

emrie

Back to top Go down

Post  naughty zoot on Mon May 23, 2016 2:06 pm

Yeah. There have been more horrifying deaths and more unexpected deaths, but never a more heartbreaking death, I think.

On the plus side, more hilarious Tormund/Brienne encounters.
naughty zoot

Back to top Go down

Post  dionneshea on Tue May 24, 2016 2:50 pm

I cried a lot. That was devastating. Poor Hodor.

I'm just going to say it, I don't care about Arya or Bran's stories at all. And so much of that is that they're so far removed from the core of the action. I was enjoying Bran's journeys into the past, but not that he's responsible for poor Hodor being like he was, I'm over it. However, I am THERE for Sansa and Jon taking over the North.

Also, is Gendry still alive? Are we ever going to see him again?
dionneshea

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis on Thu May 26, 2016 12:42 pm

dionneshea wrote:I cried a lot. That was devastating. Poor Hodor.

I'm just going to say it, I don't care about Arya or Bran's stories at all. And so much of that is that they're so far removed from the core of the action. I was enjoying Bran's journeys into the past, but not that he's responsible for poor Hodor being like he was, I'm over it. However, I am THERE for Sansa and Jon taking over the North.

Also, is Gendry still alive? Are we ever going to see him again?

Bran's I kinda care mildly about, but yeah, I don't care about Arya's at all, which is too bad because I like the actress.

Not having read spoilers, I'm going to take a stab and say at least in the tv show, we won't see him again.

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 15 of 17 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16, 17  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top