Once Upon a Time

Page 2 of 19 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 19  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Once Upon a Time

Post  laddical on Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:36 am

Well, I'm sold for the duration, or at least until someone on the show turns into whatever the fairy tale equivalent of Smallville's Lana Lang would be.

Robert Carlyle is just stealing this show with all of two scenes an episode.

Agree, the Queen's story in fairytale land was the stronger story this week, but I liked Emma vs. the Mayor, too. I like the notion that they've introduced a potential for both sides to go to a scorched earth scenario - the Mayor likely to do so deliberately, Emma likely to do so with "best intentions".

I suspect we're either going to see those last pages of the book restored whole at the absolute wrong moment OR it's going to turn out that Emma threw a major monkey wrench into Rumpelstiltskin's prophecy by destroying the written record of it and she's now made things that much harder for her in the long run. Either way, those pages are going to bite her in the ass hard.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  Eris Rising on Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:00 pm

In it for the duration. I'm enjoying the various levels of subtlety and obviousness with which the actors are portraying their characters in the modern world. There's a bit of a WB Buffy/Supernatural production vibe crossed with a touch of Desperate Housewives, but it works in the context of the show itself. I also appreciate how they're indulging themselves in the campy soapiness of the story without being totally over-the-top ridiculous with it, not allowing the silliness to get in the way of the emotional realism of the characters.

And of course, Rumplestiltskin is my new favorite character of the season. What a role, and what an acting job.
Eris Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  maxell131313 on Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:13 pm

As soon as this show gets slated for DVD release I'll be waiting in line to buy it. I'm in love with this show and we're only two episodes in. I agree, the actor playing Rumplstiltskin/Mr. Gold is running away with it.
maxell131313

Back to top Go down

Post  punzy on Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:31 pm

I want to know what Mr Gold's deal is.

Also, Pam! I hope she shows up in the modern world.

punzy

Back to top Go down

Post  Escape on Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:32 pm

And of course, Rumplestiltskin is my new favorite character of the season. What a role, and what an acting job.

I'm loving that Robert Carlyle is getting props for his acting. He's really the only thing I continued to watch Stargate Universe for, even after they announced the cancellation.

I'm personally loving this show. I'm a huge fan of most of the people on it, and I'm loving the storyline so far. I nearly cheered when Emma cut off part of the apple tree, and when Henry took the apple from her and tossed it over his shoulder. I cannot wait to see what Rumplestiltskin has planned. That man remembers every bit of that deal and is going to relish in watching the queen squirm!
Escape

Back to top Go down

Post  sagitare on Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:45 am

More Robert Carlyle love here! His scenes with the Queen/Mayor were awesome. Speaking of the Evil Queen: when Maleficent is warning you to rethink your idea of using a particular curse because it's really, really, bad, then maybe - just maybe - you ought to be looking for another solution to your problem.

I really liked what was revealed about her past, and that somewhere inside of her is a tiny glimmer of...well, I'd hesitate to call it 'goodness' but definitely 'not-evil', let's put it that way. I didn't see the reveal of the servant as her father coming at all, and she truly did love him. It made me think about the reason behind the curse and what she wanted to get out of it: take away everyone else's happily ever after but at the same time getting a happily ever after for herself. I think initially her happy ending was just knowing what she did to everyone else, but with Henry I think there's that part of her that does want to be happy and be loved by someone else. There was that scene when she said to Henry that she was sorry, and he shot back, "No you're not", it seemed to really hurt her. I think she does want to be a mother to Henry, and have a loving relationship with him.

What's the deal with her hatred of Snow White? Is this something from the actual fairy tale that's being referenced, or are they setting up some other type of conflict between them? It sounds like she blames Snow White for the loss of someone she loved.
sagitare

Back to top Go down

Post  Poubelle on Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:03 am

I'm guessing it has something to do with Snow White's dad? (Since they are married in the fairytale, after all, at least most versions.) Or maybe the huntsman who was supposed to kill Snow White and let her go?

I liked the brief bit of (blonde! My mental image of her is totally dominated by the Disney version) Maleficent. I hope she has a modern-world counterpart, too.
Poubelle

Back to top Go down

Post  choubetcha on Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:15 pm

sagitare wrote: I think she does want to be a mother to Henry, and have a loving relationship with him.

The relationship with the Queen and Henry is so confusing to me. In the first episode, we were told Emma can tell when someone is lying so when she asked the Queen if she loved Henry, and then decided to stay even though the Queen said she did, I took it to mean the Queen was lying about loving Henry. But then last episode indicated that the Queen adopted Henry not even knowing he was Emma's child, so she maybe just wanted a kid? Whom she is now failing to love?

choubetcha

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran on Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:56 pm

I think she wants to love him, but can't. But at the same time has some affection for him and feels territorial over him.

I also think that Rumpelstiltskin procured her that child for a reason.
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  Eris Rising on Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:08 pm

Yeah, considering where the curse came from (and the anvil hints dropped), it's obvious that "Mr. Gold" had a backdoor in the curse that allowed him to remember what's really going on.
Eris Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Luthien on Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:34 pm

My guess about the Mayor/Queen and Henry is that she's trying to fill the "void" Maleficent referred to. I recall her warning the Queen that if she used the curse, the price she paid would leave a void that couldn't be filled, which I would guess means she can no longer love anyone even if she wanted to. Maybe in the real world, she knows something's wrong with her but doesn't understand what and tried to get a child to see if she could love him.

Is Maleficent strictly a Disney name? I checked my copy of Grimm's fairy tales and only see her referred to as the thirteenth fairy who didn't get an invitation to the princess's christening.

Luthien

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:53 pm

Maleficent's name is definitely a Disney creation - as are the names of the Seven Dwarves, which we've seen have been carried over. I'm not sure if they're trying to tie things to the Disney version because they're simply using those versions as the templates or because they simply don't want to have to come up with "better"/different names for all of these characters who the Grimms/Perault/Collodi/Whomever never bothered to name in the first place. Or maybe they want to show that all the variations of the stories throughout history have some unique element that differentiates them from each other and yet are all "the truth" - that would be an interesting spin.

Besides her name, Maleficent also had a hairpiece reminiscent of the film's horned hood, but in coloring, attitude, and accoutrements (purple clothing and a unicorn instead of a raven) is so radically different from Marc Davis' design.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  truecrystal on Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:32 pm

I'm a bit surprised by how much I'm enjoying this show. It's a bit darker than I thought it would be, but it's still got a strong sense of fairy tale-like wonderment that makes it light instead of bleak. I do have a bit of a hard time with Jennifer Morrison playing a tough broad type character, but that may be leftover House issues since I never bought it when Cameron stood up to House.

Even if I didn't like it, I'd be in anyway because
Spoiler:
David Anders was in the previews and where he goes, I must follow.

truecrystal

Back to top Go down

Post  Bad Username on Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:52 am

I've only just seen the pilot, and I really enjoyed it, more than Grimm, I think. Robert Carlyle is awesome, obviously Mr Gold remembers everything. He owns the town, so I wonder if he manipulated the curse in some way or if he was just immune, and took the advantage when he saw it.

This is a minor quibble, but having an English actor play the Sheriff seems off to me; if this is set in the US, aren't there citizenship laws for law enforcement positions? I know someone could have an English accent and be a US citizen, it's just something that stood out. Then again, this is a town completely out of time, so it's not really an issue.

I like Ginnifer Goodwin anyway, I think she looks great here, but Jennifer Morrison looks a bit rough. I was surprised to learn she's a year younger than me, maybe she's a smoker? I've never seen Lana Parilla in anything before this, I think she's great so far.

Bad Username

Back to top Go down

Post  sagitare on Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:40 pm

Bad Username wrote:I like Ginnifer Goodwin anyway, I think she looks great here, but Jennifer Morrison looks a bit rough.
I think her character is supposed to be in her late 20s? Which made me laugh when they alluded to that on the show because...no. I don't think she's haggard looking or anything, but she definitely looks older than that.
sagitare

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran on Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:48 pm

Shes supposed to be 28. But I think Jennifer Morrison is only 31. She doesn't look older then 28 to me but I do think her natural blonde hair ages her a bit.
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  Gillian on Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:54 pm

If I wasn't sold after the second episode (I was), I would have been once I saw David Anders in the preview. Whee! Uncle Daddy Sark! I hope he's in more than one episode.

Like y'all, I'm really liking this so far. I was afraid it might be dumb and/or boring, but so far I really like it. Although, I do agree with the person who said that something about Prince Charming's hair takes them out of the moment. He seems a bit too modern to me. Which will be fine when he comes out of his coma in Storybrooke, but it strikes me as a little odd in the fairytale flashbacks. I still like him, though, and I'm totally rooting for him and Snow White.

Gillian

Back to top Go down

Post  Unlucky Bear on Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:15 pm

His hair didn't bother me as much because DAMN he is fine. In the pilot, when he's carrying the baby and sword-fighting? I may have swooned a little.
Unlucky Bear
Official Succubus

Back to top Go down

Post  Eris Rising on Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:59 pm

ABC orders full-season pickup. Expected, but still: yay!
Eris Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  caltrask55 on Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:02 pm

I am so happy! I almost didn't even watch but at the last minute decided to give it a shot and it has become the one show this season that has me looking forward to new episodes. Awesome news!

caltrask55

Back to top Go down

Post  maxell131313 on Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:36 am

Eris Rising wrote:ABC orders full-season pickup. Expected, but still: yay!

This news makes me Disney princess-like happy. I expect woodland creatures to appear when I spontaneously burst into song.
maxell131313

Back to top Go down

Post  sagitare on Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:47 am

Yessss! *pumps fist* I was so sure this was going to get cancelled, but I'm very glad to be wrong on that!
sagitare

Back to top Go down

Post  Bad Username on Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:20 am

Bad Username wrote:This is a minor quibble, but having an English actor play the Sheriff seems off to me; if this is set in the US, aren't there citizenship laws for law enforcement positions? I know someone could have an English accent and be a US citizen, it's just something that stood out. Then again, this is a town completely out of time, so it's not really an issue.

He's Irish! I'm sorry to get that mixed up, I didn't pick up on it from the few lines he had in the pilot.

At the end of the second episode, with the Mayor / Mr Gold scene, are we supposed to think that the Mayor remembers the curse? My interpretation is that she remembers something, as evidenced by her reference to 'another' deal with Mr Gold. When he asks about the other deal she's referring to, I can't figure out if the look on her face is puzzlement at her slip, or if she's angry at him for bringing it up.

Bad Username

Back to top Go down

Post  Eris Rising on Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:42 pm

Bad Username wrote:
Bad Username wrote:This is a minor quibble, but having an English actor play the Sheriff seems off to me; if this is set in the US, aren't there citizenship laws for law enforcement positions? I know someone could have an English accent and be a US citizen, it's just something that stood out. Then again, this is a town completely out of time, so it's not really an issue.

He's Irish! I'm sorry to get that mixed up, I didn't pick up on it from the few lines he had in the pilot.

At the end of the second episode, with the Mayor / Mr Gold scene, are we supposed to think that the Mayor remembers the curse? My interpretation is that she remembers something, as evidenced by her reference to 'another' deal with Mr Gold. When he asks about the other deal she's referring to, I can't figure out if the look on her face is puzzlement at her slip, or if she's angry at him for bringing it up.

I think that it's meant to be a mystery exactly what everybody remembers, and to what detail. While Snow White and Jiminy Cricket remember nothing, it's likely that at least a few people escaped the amnesia part of the curse.
Eris Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  dreago on Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:43 am

Although some parts seem unbearably cheesy (the bonfire stuff, for example), I am so surprised by how much I am enjoying this show and how it is striking an emotional core with me. Snow is not my fave character and yet I totally believed their love and cared about their relationship. It is deeper than I thought it would be. I was all set to like Grimm more and yet so far, I feel like Grimm is flat in comparison.

dreago

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 19 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 19  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top