My favorite part:

Prince: You're a girl!
Snow: A woman. *headbash*

The Sheriff has got to be the huntsman.

punzy

Back to top Go down

Re: Once Upon a Time

Post  laddical on Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:46 am

I keep getting all kinds of outlandish theories popping into my head as I watch. Alas, the only one I remember at this point centers on the ring being enchanted - either Snow intercepted some true love charm by putting it on before the fiancee could or it was enchanted to only fit the finger of the Prince's true love.

I agree, it's likely the Sheriff is the huntsman, but that just leaves the big old question mark of, "Why was there a wolf in the road?" Of course, since this show is steeped in its Lost pedigree, I'm completely resigned to the possibility that "Why was there a wolf in the road?" is as unimportant in the scheme of things as "Why did the bird say Hurley's name?"
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  dreago on Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:52 am

But didn't the sheriff say something about how is job is all about pounding down doors? Isn't that what the Big Bad Wolf does in the Three Little Pigs (ok, blow down doors, you get the picture)? And wasn't there some kind of significant look between Red and the Sheriff? I am still learning towards wolf not huntsman. Emma is the one who hunts for people. And saves them by restoring them to their true selves ("Swan" refers to the tale of the 7 swans). In the promo, it appears that the show will combine Cinderella and Rumpelstiltzkin. So why not have the wolf play several roles in different stories?

dreago

Back to top Go down

Post  Luthien on Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:00 pm

I kept making outlandish theories as I watched, too. My pet one (which I still think wasn't half-bad) was that Snow White was still living at the castle and not getting along with her stepmother, so she was out robbing the rich and giving to the poor to get back at the Queen and do good at the same time. I have to say, I wish the show had more humour and satisfying episodes. Everything is getting tangled up Lost-style (only to be expected, of course) but I was very disappointed at "John Doe" suddenly having a wife. No no, bad show! Prince Charming and Snow White 4ever! The two characters I consistently like are Charming (who was completely awesome in the latest episode) and Henry. Poor kid, it's about time somebody starts believing him. I'm a little weary of Emma not accepting what's going on. If it keeps on, I may switch over to Grimm, which I am finding more entertaining at the moment.

Luthien

Back to top Go down

Post  caltrask55 on Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:37 pm

I don't believe for one minute that he has a wife. She is in on it or the Regina did a spell to make her think it's her husband...or something. But I just can't believe he is actually married to this woman.

caltrask55

Back to top Go down

Post  Poubelle on Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:45 pm

His fake wife was the snotty princess in the carriage, wasn't she? So I'd love to know what's going on with them being married, since obviously that didn't happen in fairy-tale land. (Sidenote: snotty princess really looked far more like a flapper than a princess. Maybe her kingdom already made it to the '20s and he's marrying her because then he can import horseless carriages and moving pictures and jazz and indoor plumbing and electricity.)

I really love the theory that there's some connection between the last name Swan and the Seven Swans fairytale. And yeah, I think the sheriff is the Big Bad Wolf--I mean, Jiminy Cricket already turned into a human, why not the wolf as well? I definitely wouldn't mind his character stretching across multiple stories. I mean, ever since I was a kid, I've thought the Big Bad Wolf who ate the pigs was the same one who stalked Red Riding Hood.

Speaking of hoods, I like the idea of Snow White being some kind of Robin Hood out in the woods before she hooked up with the dwarfs (or while she lived with the dwarfs, I wasn't clear at what point in her story we were at). Though she seems a little too clever to fall for the "apple from a harmless old granny" trick, so I'd like to see how that works out. And see the actress playing the evil queen disguise herself as an old crone. I think she'd do a fun job with it.

(Also, I've been wondering how they were getting away with using the dwarfs' names and Maleficent's name because I was pretty sure those were Disney inventions and Disney's always been ridiculous protective of their intellectual property--then I remembered ABC is owned by Disney. DUH.)
Poubelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran on Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:21 am

I actually got huntsman vibes from the Sheriff tonight. I think it was the mention of the Huntsman and how he took pity on Snow White, and the contrast with how mentally conflicted the Sheriff looked in his scene with Regina. I got a parallel vibe thing.
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys on Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:15 am

Poubelle wrote:(Also, I've been wondering how they were getting away with using the dwarfs' names and Maleficent's name because I was pretty sure those were Disney inventions and Disney's always been ridiculous protective of their intellectual property--then I remembered ABC is owned by Disney. DUH.)
Heh, I had the same exact realization tonight (when I watched the episode). It said "An ABC Studios Production" or something like that at the beginning, and I was like "DOY, Disney."

I'm not gonna lie, when I first heard of this show I assumed it was going to be a gimmicky pile of stupid. I think if you'd said I could watch one show and you offered me this or The Playboy Club I'd have picked The Playboy Club. But I am REALLY enjoying it. I think it's just well done. They're managing to walk a line between frilly-fantasy-silliness and realistic emotional stuff. Part of it is I love Ginnifer Goodwin (and have since Big Love). Also, I'm charmed by Charming, and it doesn't hurt that I love the name James. NOR does it hurt that I've been playing a lot of Sims Medieval lately.

Misgivings: Part of me feels a little frustrated that whatever happens, the Queen/Mayor seems to know about it already and be one step ahead of everyone. (The doctor is in on it, etc.) That kind of thing wears me out. But enough victories seem to be happening that I'm all right so far.

Snow/Mary Margaret and Emma being roommates is going to be awesome. I really like both of them and they are different enough personalities that I think that will be fun. (Plus of course the fact that we know their real relationship.)
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  Shalamar on Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:38 am

A kick-ass Snow White! Hallelujah!

I loved this exchange:

Troll: Who's this guy?
Snow: It's okay; he's with me.
Troll: So? We don't know YOU, either.
Shalamar

Back to top Go down

Post  TiffanyNichelle on Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:55 pm

I finally caught this week's episode. I much prefer Snow White to Mary Margaret, who is just so bland. Kudos to Ginnifer for being able to sell two different characters in one show. There was a moment when Snow was stuck in that trap that Charming laid, where you couldn't see her hair at all and I thought wow, that could have been Emma up there.

The ending was so not cool! He's awake. But married! I so don't trust the "wife". I don't think they are even married.

Misgivings: Part of me feels a little frustrated that whatever happens, the Queen/Mayor seems to know about it already and be one step ahead of everyone. (The doctor is in on it, etc.) That kind of thing wears me out. But enough victories seem to be happening that I'm all right so far.

I have to agree, I'm a little annoyed by the Queen always being right there ready to screw them all over. I need for them to be ahead of her once in a while.
TiffanyNichelle

Back to top Go down

Post  choubetcha on Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:27 pm

Yeah, I don’t see how they could be married since the Prince was married to Snow in fairy tale time and it seems like he’s been in a coma since time froze.

I am glad you all had guesses for the sheriff because every time I tried to ponder who he was, I literally could not get past his being a sheriff. My brain just kept saying Robin Hood! Robin Hood! even though that’s clearly wrong.

I'm leaning slightly toward him being the huntsman. It seems to fit with how he carries out the queen’s bidding but only to an extent, like when he confronted her after Jiminy gave the false report. I do like the idea of him being the wolf though, especially since he seems like he’s one of the good guys and I like the idea that, given a blank slate, some fairy tale characters could switch sides.

choubetcha

Back to top Go down

Post  TiffanyNichelle on Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:29 pm

If the Sheriff is the Big Bad Wolf, Bill Willingham is going to raise holy hell, so I think he's the Huntsman. He says he's a good hunter and he seems to have a soft spot for Mary and Emma which would work with him letting Snow go.
TiffanyNichelle

Back to top Go down

Post  choubetcha on Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:37 pm

TiffanyNichelle wrote:If the Sheriff is the Big Bad Wolf, Bill Willingham is going to raise holy hell, so I think he's the Huntsman. He says he's a good hunter and he seems to have a soft spot for Mary and Emma which would work with him letting Snow go.

Ha. Good point. Also, I just remembered the look the doctor gave Red on his date with Snow last night, so...doctor is wolf, sheriff is huntsman?

choubetcha

Back to top Go down

Post  TiffanyNichelle on Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:42 pm

I'd love it if the doctor was the Wolf. He is so shady and it's Mr. Stark after all. What was his last name again?
TiffanyNichelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Luciano on Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:34 pm

TiffanyNichelle wrote:I'd love it if the doctor was the Wolf. He is so shady and it's Mr. Stark after all. What was his last name again?

Dr. Whale.

Luciano

Back to top Go down

Post  TiffanyNichelle on Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:39 pm

Luciano wrote:
TiffanyNichelle wrote:I'd love it if the doctor was the Wolf. He is so shady and it's Mr. Stark after all. What was his last name again?

Dr. Whale.

Hmm, maybe he's the whale that swallowed Pinocchio whole?
TiffanyNichelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Raised by wolves on Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:09 pm

Dr. Whale.
Or Dr. Wail, like a wolf howl? Obviously Ruby the waitress is Little Red Riding Hood and he couldn't take her eyes off her so he has to be the wolf. I'm on board with the sheriff is the huntsman. Even though he works for the queen he doesn't follow her blindly like the Dr. and plus when they were looking for Charming he mentioned he knew the woods well.

It took me three tries to get through the second episode so I was iffy about this but then I ate the third one up so I'm in.

Raised by wolves

Back to top Go down

Post  punzy on Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:27 pm

Welcome to the club!

I really like the idea of the Dr being the wolf. You guys are so smart and awesome.

I think the queen/mayor needs to be ahead of everyone right now, they are still at the very beginning of the journey. And she isn't getting all the sucesses, she seems to be barely keeping her lead.

punzy

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran on Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:22 pm

I love that idea too because it means that they have a reason to get Anders to stay. Adore him, and I'd like to see him interact with Ruby more.
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  vwlphb on Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:26 pm

This is definitely my favorite new show of the fall. It's so pretty, and feels like Fables without the cynical edge. I find the lack of memory plotline interesting, and I'm looking forward to seeing how it plays out.

vwlphb

Back to top Go down

Post  Me Talk Pretty on Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:23 pm

TiffanyNichelle wrote:There was a moment when Snow was stuck in that trap that Charming laid, where you couldn't see her hair at all and I thought wow, that could have been Emma up there.

Yes, I noticed this too! It was weird because this is the fist time that I noticed a resemblance between Ginnifer and Jennifer, and I only saw it when Ginnifer was Snow White and not when she was Mary Margaret. I really like how their relationship is developing, and I am curious to see if Emma starts to see MM as her mother.

Me Talk Pretty

http://metalkpretty.livejournal.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  punzy on Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:40 am

Alright, so theories as to why Rumpelstiltskin/Gold wants babies so badly? Is he lonely? Has a hankering for baby (tastes of chicken!)? Needs a virgin sacrifice?

punzy

Back to top Go down

Post  caltrask55 on Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:50 am

The casting of this show has been amazing but I was disappointed with Cinderella and her Prince. I felt they were horrible actors and really took me out of the story. But Rumple/Gold continues to be fantastic!

caltrask55

Back to top Go down

Post  Gillian on Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:10 am

caltrask55 wrote:The casting of this show has been amazing but I was disappointed with Cinderella and her Prince. I felt they were horrible actors and really took me out of the story.
Yeah, me too. Well, more so the prince than Cinderella. I thought she was fine, and I liked that they bothered to make her and the Red Riding Hood girl friends. But I thought her prince was super lame. They could have done better there.

If the mayor is hooking up with the sheriff, does that point more to him being the huntsman? I'm pretty convinced that's who he is. I thought it was pretty obvious he was who the mystery hook-up was, but I do wonder what the deal is there. He doesn't seem to like her very much.

Gillian

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran on Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:13 am

I thought he was the huntsman and that she has control of him in that area too. Like they have a Johnny Castle pre Baby type situation going on.

It would also explain the way he said "This is MY department".
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 19 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11 ... 19  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top