Once Upon a Time

Page 4 of 19 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11 ... 19  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Once Upon a Time

Post  Luthien on Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:36 am

From the latest episode, I conclude that it sucks for princes in the Fairy Tale world. Get killed defending your baby daughter, mysteriously vanish while helping your pregnant wife--if they do Rapunzel, will her poor guy get blinded? I'd like to know what Rumplestiltskin/Mr. Gold does with the babies: sells them, eats them? It was never clear in the fairy tale either.

Luthien

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys on Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:19 pm

I thought the sheriff was the mayor's husband in the first episode, so it wasn't much of a stretch for me that he was the secret lover. I'm going with the theory that he's the huntsman.

I liked this episode, and thought it was deft how they neatly paralleled the Cinderella story in the present with the addition of the baby plotline. I also liked that there was a little ambiguity about whether Ashley (PERFECT, I love the way they do names on this show) was really making the right decision to keep the baby (without any of that extending to an approval of Mr. Gold's creepy contract), and her bit of surprise when Emma admitted she had given her child up.

Watching the opening credits, it occurred to me that the first three leads on this show are women. I don't think of it as a "chick show" -- I mean, I know it's about fairy tales, and it's not like, The Shield or anything, but it seems more in the Lost/sci-fi genre. A lot of adventurey stuff is going on. I didn't even notice the headliners were all women. Kinda cool.

Meanwhile, Cinderella's prince is very hot. I thought the dad was Clancy Brown for a second when he showed up.
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  truecrystal on Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:51 pm

Cinderella's prince looked so much like Casper Van Diem it was creeping me out. His acting skills were on par with CVD too.

truecrystal

Back to top Go down

Post  TiffanyNichelle on Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:43 pm

Finally watched this week's episode. I liked that Cinderella and her prince (who was much hotter in the "real" world vs the fairy tale world) got their happy ending. But this deal Emma made is so going to bite her in the ass later. I do love her as the defender of the townspeople now.

I wasn't shocked that the Sheriff was sleeping with the Mayor, I'm just disappointed.

whether Ashley (PERFECT, I love the way they do names on this show)
OMG I just got that! LOL!!
TiffanyNichelle

Back to top Go down

Post  jaraga on Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:05 am

I am convinced one of the extras in the ballroom scene was dressed to look like Jasmine from Aladdin.

jaraga

Back to top Go down

Post  punzy on Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:35 am

jaraga wrote:I am convinced one of the extras in the ballroom scene was dressed to look like Jasmine from Aladdin.

And I just realized that there could actually be a Jasmine and Aladdin in this universe. Which would be fantastic. Also ridiculous, but fantastically so.

punzy

Back to top Go down

Post  Shalamar on Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:00 pm

My God, the ball gowns Snow and Cinderella were wearing were absolutely luscious. I'm drooling over here.

How cute was it that the two of them are friends and started dancing together? I bet that if they have to go use the "necessary" (or whatever they called the ladies' in those days), they'll go together.
Shalamar

Back to top Go down

Post  skittlebox on Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:42 am

jaraga wrote:I am convinced one of the extras in the ballroom scene was dressed to look like Jasmine from Aladdin.
There was also someone dressed in a yellow ballgown which made me think of Belle from Beauty and the Beast.

skittlebox

Back to top Go down

Post  dday515 on Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:22 am

"TiffanyNichelle"

whether Ashley (PERFECT, I love the way they do names on this show)
OMG I just got that! LOL!!

Obviously I'm missing something - and will probably feel like a huge tool once its explained, but anyone care to help a brother out????

dday515

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys on Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:08 pm

"Cinderella" was nicknamed that because she spent her days sweeping cinders. (In the fairy-tale-times parts they were calling her Ella.) Ash = cinders. :)
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:08 pm

Cinderella is "the little ash girl".
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  Poubelle on Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:21 am

punzy wrote:

And I just realized that there could actually be a Jasmine and Aladdin in this universe. Which would be fantastic. Also ridiculous, but fantastically so.
I finally got around to seeing the past episode, and Rumpelstiltskin totally has the genie's lamp in his shop, so this just might be true. (It was right next to the CREEPIEST.DOLLS.EVER. Seriously, if someone turned my parents into that I would not grow up to be a kindly woodcutter. I would probably be rocking back and forth in the fairy-tale land version of a padded cell for the rest of my life).

Also, wtf Pongo is in this, too? I get that 101 Dalmatians was a Disney movie (though wouldn't Dodie Smith's estate also still have a claim on it?), but it's not exactly a fairytale and I can't really see that story fitting in with the medievalish world they've got going (especially not Cruella DeVil, though I'm sure she could make a friend or two). Who else is going to make an appearance, Mulan?

The Blue Fairy's bustier is rather mesmerizing. Quite frankly I would not want to hear what wishes people were thinking if I had that thing on. I'd probably be giving out more curses than wishes.
Poubelle

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:45 am

Continuing the apt naming, I remarked to my wife that the amnesiac Prince is "Noland" in the real world, and then during the previews the implication seems to be that he gets his Princedom via Rumplestiltskin's magic, making him a Prince of No Land.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  Poubelle on Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:22 am

Noland as a prince's name makes me think of Lackland. Maybe some barons will make him sign a charter in an upcoming episode.
Poubelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Eris Rising on Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:49 pm

Poubelle wrote:
punzy wrote:

Also, wtf Pongo is in this, too? I get that 101 Dalmatians was a Disney movie (though wouldn't Dodie Smith's estate also still have a claim on it?), but it's not exactly a fairytale and I can't really see that story fitting in with the medievalish world they've got going (especially not Cruella DeVil, though I'm sure she could make a friend or two). Who else is going to make an appearance, Mulan?

I think that's more of a semi-inside joke for Disney fans. At least I hope so.
Eris Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Unlucky Bear on Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:11 pm

Yeah, I feel like most of the Dalmatians I've known have been named Pongo or Perdita.
Unlucky Bear
Official Succubus

Back to top Go down

Post  punzy on Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:05 pm

So, from io9:

Spoiler:
Hansel and Gretel will be introduced, as will Aladdin.
Which means there is a Jasmine. And possibly a tiger. Please, please let there be a tiger.

punzy

Back to top Go down

Post  MtOlivePickles on Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:23 am

punzy wrote:So, from io9:

Spoiler:
Hansel and Gretel will be introduced, as will Aladdin.
Which means there is a Jasmine. And possibly a tiger. Please, please let there be a tiger.

EEEE. I heard about the first two, but not the third one!

I don't even know how, but this show has wormed its way into my heart. It's one of my favorite new series of the season by far.

MtOlivePickles

Back to top Go down

Post  bbridges on Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:39 am

You can actually
Spoiler:
see a lamp that could belong to a genie in Mr. Gold's shop when they were panning over to the nightmare fuel that was the puppets!
bbridges

Back to top Go down

Post  dreago on Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:43 pm

Probably because I was fighting with my toddler over the remote, but I couldn't make out what the Queen threw down the mine shaft?

dreago

Back to top Go down

Post  Eris Rising on Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:14 pm

dreago wrote:Probably because I was fighting with my toddler over the remote, but I couldn't make out what the Queen threw down the mine shaft?

It was the piece of glass found by her son. When it landed, it looked to me (and to most people, from what I've seen online) like it landed near several other shards that originally made up Snow White's coffin.
Eris Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  punzy on Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:43 am

So Prince Charming's not-Dad is a huge douche. Also not very diplomatic or subtle. Really no one in this world is subtle. Maybe they should get a class together and take lessons.

Last edited by punzy on Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

punzy

Back to top Go down

Post  Snarryfan on Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:46 pm

Does anyone else get the sense that Mr. Gold may know more than he is letting on? Robert Carlyle makes such interesting choices that I love whenever Rumpelstilskin appears because he is so damn intriguing.

Snarryfan

Back to top Go down

Post  mokey75 on Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:47 pm

I thought Cinderella's prince had called Charming's "dad" father at the ball, so I was confused with the whole dead brother/there's no heir thing.
I have to say, of all the ridiculousness this show expects us to swallow, the scene by the bridge where Mary Margaret gets dumped was about the most obnoxious. I know they can't get together already, but sweet baby jeebus was that annoying.
mokey75

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:00 pm

Bill Willingham is totally cool with "Once Upon a Time".

He also confirms that the Sheriff is not the BBW because he specifically asked Horowitz and Kitsis about it.

So... what up with the wolf that caused Emma's crash?
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 19 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11 ... 19  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top