Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Snow White and the Huntsman

+27
laurelin_kit
vwlphb
curryalley
Menshevixen
Binky
GoodbyeWithWords
lisalars
punzy
Count_Bloodcount
RiverThames
dreago
Coneycat
jensa
Kiran
bbridges
inversed
Grainne Mhaol
bookworm
whatthedeuce
Skyblade
ActonBell
swsa
Jude
laddical
Cynara
blixie
Luthien
31 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Snow White and the Huntsman - Page 2 Empty Re: Snow White and the Huntsman

Post  dreago Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:44 pm

I saw it opening night with a bunch of other fairy tale fanatics. It was not a good movie. I could tell there were multiple screen writers. Chris H. was acting as if he were in a romantic comedy while the others were busy acting in an epic type movie. Kristen Stewart was very miscast. Sure, she looked the part, but her body language was all wrong, wrong, wrong. When she was supposed to be all inspirational, all strong and empowered and back from the dead and such, she still moved awkwardly, her gait uneven, her shoulders sloped in such a way as to hide herself. It was puzzling. She made a good victim though. I believed her fear and youth.

I liked the idea of Snow White being connected to nature. The maiden goddess and her stag consort is a staple in many pre-Christian myths. Too bad they didn't really continue to develop this concept until the very end when her sceptre was a tree branch. The evil queen being connected to cronehood archetype through the death of the land was a nice touch too. Snow being an archetype made me ok with the character being written 1/2 the time as if she were one dimensional. However, the other times when they tried to humanize and add "depth" to her character with touches of sassiness here and there were just confusing. And what was with the Lord's Prayer? And why only a part of it? And at the end when she says, "You can't have my heart-" and then just stops speaking? And what happened to her to go from hate for the Queen to sorrow for her?

You know there is a problem with your lead when the last shot of the movie has the central figure all blurred out and the surrounding worshippers or whatever, in sharp relief. Oy. When the movie ended my friend and I turned to each other at the same time and said, "well, the movie was very pretty."

I don't know what there could possibly be a sequel about.

dreago

Back to top Go down

Post  Coneycat Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:12 pm

And what was with the Lord's Prayer? And why only a part of it?

Apparently, Snow White is Catholic: we stop at "deliver us from evil"-- in church, the priest has a bit and the congregation has a bit, but when we say our prayers at home, we stop where Snow did.

With that said, I dunno why the prayer was specifically included. There were a bunch of things that seemed raised and then left unresolved-- including almost everything to do with her nature powers, and also the magpies and where did the horse come from (or GO TO), like she'd get random magic help in some moments and not others. Looking back, it felt like it was meant to be a much longer movie.

And I like Stewart, honestly, but she felt wrong in this specific part. I think I was expecting much more of an ass-kicking princess based on the trailer and her general demeanour, and I never got over the disconnect.

Last edited by Coneycat on Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:51 am; edited 1 time in total

Coneycat

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:51 pm

Luthien wrote:
I suspect there's a lot of this movie on the cutting room floor. I hope there's an extended cut when the DVD comes out.

Heh. I know during Snow's Big Inspriational Speech there was all this stuff about iron I thought, "This speech feels like it makes reference to things that did not make it into the final cut of the film."

It was a mess. Visually gorgeous, but a mess. That said, I do have to applaud a mainstream movie that ends
Spoiler:
RiverThames
RiverThames

http://www.mrmaresca.com

Back to top Go down

Post  dreago Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:07 pm

Oh yeah, "Iron will melt but it will writhe inside itself.". I was like, "what the hell does that mean?" I thought maybe I had heard wrong and she was saying something about herself as in "I will melt" but I'm glad to know my hearing isn't gone. Just my comprehension.

dreago

Back to top Go down

Post  Count_Bloodcount Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:56 pm

I found it quite disappointing. As is often the case, the best stuff was in the trailer. And Charlize Theron was good but there wasn't enough of her.

How are they going to make a trilogy out of this?

Count_Bloodcount

Back to top Go down

Post  punzy Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:31 pm

Just got back from this, paid $5 which seems about right. That was a terrible inspirational speech.

As a sequel I would like to see "The Huntsman and the Seven Dwarfs", maybe with some William thrown in for fun.

Spoiler:

punzy

Back to top Go down

Post  lisalars Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:57 am

I saw it last night and I too thought it was a bit of a mess.

Visually it was beautiful, but I couldn't quite figure out what message they were trying to get across.

It definitely wasn't a romantic tale - though she was wakened by "true love's kiss" still, right? It wasn't quite a war/battle movie cause it was softened enough to avoid that. It wasn't quite comedic - though some things came off "spoof-ier" to me then I think was intended. I just didn't quite know what I was watching.

There were moments I liked a lot, and I thought Charlize and Chris were great. Kristen was fine, not great, but not terrible.

The funniest thing one of my friends said when we walked out was "they did a good job with her teeth" (Kristen's). I'm like, what?!? I'm pretty sure that's just what she looks like - you've probably just never seen her smile before.

lisalars

Back to top Go down

Post  GoodbyeWithWords Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:08 pm

I feel like this movie should have been made a few years from now when Charlize was older and someone like Elle Fanning or Hailee Steinfeld would've been old enough to play Snow White.

GoodbyeWithWords

Back to top Go down

Post  Binky Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:59 pm

Visually, that was beautiful. But the plot was, uh, not so much there. And it certainly wasn't helped by Kristen Stewart's grand total of 2 facial expressions.

More Chris Hemsworth. I like him better with brown hair.
Binky
Binky

Back to top Go down

Post  Menshevixen Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:23 am

I saw it last night. General reaction: overlong, pacing issues, good acting, great effects. I really enjoyed Theron's queen and I like Stewart a lot, but the trailers
Spoiler:

I did like that
Spoiler:

I guess I have more thoughts about this movie than I realized. :B
Menshevixen
Menshevixen

Back to top Go down

Post  Coneycat Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:38 am

Personally, I wanted
Spoiler:

In my head, that's what happened after the coronation.

Coneycat

Back to top Go down

Post  Jude Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:59 pm

I saw it yesterday, and I liked it. It was a bit long, it's true, but I thought Kristen was fine in it. I did notice the open-mouth thing, but I don't think it's necessarily something she can help if she doesn't make a conscious effort to shut it. When one has bunny teeth, one's mouth just naturally falls open more. Or so I've decided. On the other hand, Charlize Theron has the perfect mouth; it's ridiculous how beautiful she is.

Other than that, Menshevixen pretty much said everything I'd want to say about this film, so read that review, and that's basically mine.

Jude

Back to top Go down

Post  curryalley Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:17 pm

So my feelings re a bit different in that I completely loved it. Perfect? No, but I adored it, I walked out with a smile on my face, my friend and I both gushed about how much we loved it, and it's my second favorite of the summer so far after Avengers.

Here are my thinky thoughts:

Spoiler:

So yeah. I really really liked it, flaws and all. As I said on twitter, Disney Pixar is doing their best to pretend Brave isn't actually about a girl in their advertising so having movies like this is really important.

curryalley

Back to top Go down

Post  vwlphb Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:41 pm

Luthien wrote:I thought the dirt was quite realistic: when Snow White reached out to touch the white hart, her fingernails were dirty.

I did notice that and like it, but I rather thought it lost its effect when her eyebrows were tweezed within an inch of her life. My first thought when she appeared on screen was "She's trapped in a tower and doesn't even have proper wood for a fire, yet somehow has tools to seriously shape her eyebrows?"

Other than that I mostly liked it. I was kind of hoping she'd end up with William, just because having her end up with the Huntsman seemed very cliche.

vwlphb

Back to top Go down

Post  laurelin_kit Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:40 pm

curryalley wrote:As I said on twitter, Disney Pixar is doing their best to pretend Brave isn't actually about a girl in their advertising so having movies like this is really important.

Really? I haven't noticed. How?
laurelin_kit
laurelin_kit

Back to top Go down

Post  curryalley Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:44 pm

laurelin_kit wrote:
curryalley wrote:As I said on twitter, Disney Pixar is doing their best to pretend Brave isn't actually about a girl in their advertising so having movies like this is really important.

The two TV ads I see most often, one shows Meridah only for about three seconds at the end. We get one glimpse of the main character in the entire spot. In the second, Meridah narrates but is not seen. At all. In both, the footage focuses on the father, the brothers, the Scots showing up declaring 'this means war,' and the roaring bear. First Pixar movie about a girl and the advertising focuses on anything but.

curryalley

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:47 pm

Huh. All the ads I've seen have been her tearing off her scarf to take the shot herself when those guys are shooting arrows for her hand in marriage.
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  laurelin_kit Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:49 pm

curryalley wrote:
laurelin_kit wrote:

The two TV ads I see most often, one shows Meridah only for about three seconds at the end. We get one glimpse of the main character in the entire spot. In the second, Meridah narrates but is not seen. At all. In both, the footage focuses on the father, the brothers, the Scots showing up declaring 'this means war,' and the roaring bear. First Pixar movie about a girl and the advertising focuses on anything but.

Guess those haven't made it over to the southeast US. Not sure how they could really hope to hide the fact that Merida is both a girl and the main character, but hey, anything's possible.

Last edited by laurelin_kit on Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
laurelin_kit
laurelin_kit

Back to top Go down

Post  curryalley Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:50 pm

Could be a fluke of the advertising in my market. In any case, movies like Snow White and the Huntsman are vital when it takes Pixar more than ten years to get around to making a movie about a girl.

curryalley

Back to top Go down

Post  Jamie Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:24 am

I saw it and completely loved it. I thought Kristen Stewart was great.
Spoiler:

I really liked
Spoiler:

I was a bit confused by some of the magical elements. I like it when fantasy fiction clearly explains it's system of magic.
Spoiler:
But that's just a minor criticism compared to how much I loved the movie.
Jamie
Jamie

Back to top Go down

Post  Binky Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:01 pm

curryalley wrote:Could be a fluke of the advertising in my market. In any case, movies like Snow White and the Huntsman are vital when it takes Pixar more than ten years to get around to making a movie about a girl.

I have a big problem viewing this movie as 'vital' to the cause of movies with prominent female roles, given that it heartily embraced 'fair' as being the only characteristic of value in the main female character and largely used Charlize Theron's character as a tableau for special effects. I know at the end Snow White led an army into battle, but the visuals don't cut it for me, since she spent most of the rest of the movie following a dude around and functioning as little more than the pretty princess. The plot wasn't there. I know they didn't go for the cliche coupling at the end, but they did every other not particularly about female-empowerment trope in the book.

I realize I also think the role of Snow White could have been played just as if not more effectively by a mannequin, so Stewart's performance might be coloring my opinion.

(I'm not defending Pixar, given that their most compelling female character ever to me was the mute robot EVA in WALL-E, I'm just saying I don't see any dramatic difference between their movies and this one, in terms of "not shitty about women". Just because it had two women as the main characters doesn't win it points when those women characters are used the way they were, to me.)

I am baffled there's going to be a sequel. And I hope they recast Snow White.
Binky
Binky

Back to top Go down

Post  curryalley Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:18 pm

I just feel differently about the movie and responded positively to an epic about a woman who saved the day in the end, got to lead an army, and gave the big inspiring speech, all without ending with a kiss as if none of those things matter if she can't also get a man. I'm trying to avoid what Sarah Rees Brennan (who blogs a lot of things I agree with about female characters and representations of women in media) as Lady Hating. The script of this movie is nowhere near perfect and especially light on dialogue - it's a flaw - but I like that Snow White
Spoiler:

These are just my opinions and I've said I really liked the film. I am also really in favor of seeing more movies about more different types of ladies and Snow White does this.

curryalley

Back to top Go down

Post  Binky Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:43 pm

The stuff you spoilered are valid points. I think a lot of my feelings are how poorly I reacted to Kristen Stewart's portrayal of the character.

And I would like to see more movies about women, so we agree on that!
Binky
Binky

Back to top Go down

Post  bbridges Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:22 pm

Someone already posted this in the Robert Pattinson thread but this seems like a better place to talk about it. Complete retooling of the sequel to dump KStew? If they dump her and keep Rupert Sanders I will be so angry. I didn't have much of a desire to see a sequel to this movie at all but if you were going to spin off one character the only one I'd have been interested in was Charlize.

Last edited by bbridges on Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:41 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Wrong link! Sorry!)
bbridges
bbridges

Back to top Go down

Post  curryalley Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:11 am

I think your link is broken.

curryalley

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down