Center Stage

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Center Stage

Post  punzy on Tue May 29, 2012 12:42 pm

Does a one-night stand and later cookie delivery make someone your boyfriend? Discuss.

I love this stupid movie so much. The sequel was sadly disappointing.

punzy

Back to top Go down

Re: Center Stage

Post  Menshevixen on Tue May 29, 2012 12:50 pm

I didn't even know there was a sequel! I gotta get on that.

Zoe Saldana is so choice in this.
Menshevixen

Back to top Go down

Post  bookworm on Tue May 29, 2012 1:09 pm

This past Christmas I texted Kiran excitedly when I realized that the blonde male dancer was the choreographer of the NC School of the Arts' performance of Nutcracker.
bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post  Snarryfan on Tue May 29, 2012 1:14 pm

This movie is brilliant because it asks us to believe that Peter Gallagher and his eyebrows were once a ballet dancer.

Plus: "I am the best goddamn dancer in the American ballet company, who the hell are you!" And she says it to OUAT's Pinocchio.

Snarryfan

Back to top Go down

Post  punzy on Tue May 29, 2012 1:25 pm

Snarryfan wrote:This movie is brilliant because it asks us to believe that Peter Gallagher and his eyebrows were once a ballet dancer.

Plus: "I am the best goddamn dancer in the American ballet company, who the hell are you!" And she says it to OUAT's Pinocchio.

Holy crap, time has been kind to him.

punzy

Back to top Go down

Post  BreezyK on Tue May 29, 2012 1:55 pm

There's a show on the YES network (the Yankees channel) called Center Stage and every. single. time. I saw it on the listings I would stop and say "Ooooh yay" before I recalled that it was just a stupid interview show. So yes, I'm so glad for this thread!

BreezyK

Back to top Go down

Post  Luthien on Tue May 29, 2012 4:45 pm

And she says it to OUAT's Pinocchio.

WHAT? No way! I never noticed at all. It's been ages since I've seen Center Stage, yet I can still quote reams of dialogue from it. Zoe Saldana is always That Girl from Center Stage to me, no matter how many Lt. Uhuras or Na'vi princesses she plays. She stubs out a cigarette with her pointe shoe! She won't follow the dress code! She's troubled but talented and Mrs. Doctor Octopus has to get through to her!

The "I am the best goddamn dancer" line is possibly one of my favourite movie quotes ever.

Luthien

Back to top Go down

Post  Genevieve on Tue May 29, 2012 5:43 pm

BEST MOVIE TO EVER HAVE A MOTORCYCLE BALLET.
So in other words, it is one of the finest things ever given to us by cinema.

And to answer the original question: NO. I have to leave the room when that cookie business goes down. My tv makes me feel embarrassed for it.
Genevieve

Back to top Go down

Post  Snarryfan on Tue May 29, 2012 6:00 pm

Someone should do a Black Swan/Center Stage mash-up video.

Also, how long is Cooper's ballet? It's supposed to be showcase, right? So 30 minutes tops but they have time for ballet sexing and 3 complete set/costume changes, not to mention doing the ribbon weave in Jodi's hair for Canned Heat.

Snarryfan

Back to top Go down

Post  big chicken on Tue May 29, 2012 6:20 pm

One of my life wishes is for a pairs figure skating team to recreate Cooper's showcase complete with costume change during a spin.

big chicken

Back to top Go down

Post  Gilraen on Tue May 29, 2012 6:25 pm

big chicken wrote:One of my life wishes is for a pairs figure skating team to recreate Cooper's showcase complete with costume change during a spin.
I didn't know I wanted that too until I read it, but I definitely did, deep down.

Gilraen

Back to top Go down

Post  BrightEyes on Tue May 29, 2012 6:34 pm

"Cooper, you're an amazing dancer, and you're a great choreographer, but as a boyfriend... you kinda suck."

No honey. No. He wasn't your boyfriend.

Also, did you go to a special bitch academy or something?

BrightEyes

Back to top Go down

Post  Morning Angel on Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:51 am

I love that movie. The dialogue is super cheesy, but I can't help but enjoy dance movies. Yes, Zoe Saldana will always be the rebel but super talented ballerina from Center Stage to me. Susan May Pratt, who played Maureen, was on Mad Men last season, and it took me forever to place her as she looked so much older.
Morning Angel

Back to top Go down

Post  BreezyK on Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:16 am

My faaaaavorite thing about Susan May Pratt is that she's married to the guy who played Coxy in Miracle. In fact, Miracle and Center Stage would be a GREAT Sunday afternoon movie pairing.

BreezyK

Back to top Go down

Post  big chicken on Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:30 am

Throw in The Cutting Edge to cap it all off.

"Toe pick!"

big chicken

Back to top Go down

Post  BrightEyes on Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:36 pm

Morning Angel wrote:I love that movie. The dialogue is super cheesy, but I can't help but enjoy dance movies. Yes, Zoe Saldana will always be the rebel but super talented ballerina from Center Stage to me. Susan May Pratt, who played Maureen, was on Mad Men last season, and it took me forever to place her as she looked so much older.

She's also Julia Stiles' best friend in 10 Things I Hate About You.

BrightEyes

Back to top Go down

Post  Menshevixen on Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:11 pm

She was in Drive Me Crazy too! (which, speaking of Sunday afternoon double-features, should always be watched with She's All That)
Menshevixen

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran on Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:12 pm

I was a hardcore ballerina when this came out and you best believe I asked if we could do a dance to K-ci and JoJo and I was scorned for even mentioning it.

Also when I studied at the RWB, Ethan Stiefel aka Cooper came on a tour and we all got to meet him, because we were in the pre professional program, and he was incredibly nice and is a beautiful dance, but is pretty much the exact opposite of a devil may care bad boy.

She was the BAD GIRL in Drive me Crazy too. I remember she spoke in tabloid headlines and offered Vinnie Chase a body tequila shot.
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  Morning Angel on Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:30 pm

BrightEyes wrote:
Morning Angel wrote:I love that movie. The dialogue is super cheesy, but I can't help but enjoy dance movies. Yes, Zoe Saldana will always be the rebel but super talented ballerina from Center Stage to me. Susan May Pratt, who played Maureen, was on Mad Men last season, and it took me forever to place her as she looked so much older.

She's also Julia Stiles' best friend in 10 Things I Hate About You.

Yes, I do remember that. She was the theatre geek. My brother worked in a video store in the late 90s/early 2000s so he used to bring home a few movies that were left over when he closed. I saw an incredible amount of movies in those years. I have a real fondness for teen movies of that era.
Morning Angel

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top