This Business of Show

Page 6 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: This Business of Show

Post  Jordan Baker on Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:08 pm

swsa wrote:
punkysdilemma wrote:I want to see Louis C.K. get an audition for it, to piss off Jerry Seinfeld.  

Aren't they friends? I'm just going by their episode of Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee, which was one of the best ones.

There's a trilogy of episodes of Louie where he and Seinfeld compete to takeover for Letterman.

Jordan Baker

Back to top Go down

Post  vwlphb on Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:18 pm

I think the Colbert Report is perfect, so I'd hate to see him leave it. Plus, I think he wouldn't get the same opportunities (Bridges, space modules, etc named after him) and he couldn't be as snarky or extreme as he is.

vwlphb

Back to top Go down

Post  swsa on Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:46 pm

More rumors. CBS allegedly approached Handler to take over Ferguson's time slot, but she's gunning for Letterman's. Frankly, since this says straight-out that the source is "an individual close to the producer and E! talk show host", I'm calling bullshit on all of it, except possibly them feeling her out for a syndicated show.

Hiring her for a prominent late night slot would be just about the worst way to decide to go with a more diverse choice, imo.
swsa

Back to top Go down

Post  Carrie Ann on Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:50 pm

I fully agree. I find Chelsea Handler plain unlikable, and she has said a number of ignorant and offensive things that would guarantee I would never watch her show. Of course, I sort of feel the same way about Jimmy Kimmel. But at least he's better able to keep his stuff down when necessary.
Carrie Ann

Back to top Go down

Post  Binky on Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:36 am

Ugh, the Chelsea Handler rumor sounds like something she started.

I saw an article suggesting Ellen Degeneres, and that sounds more in line for CBS. Colbert absolutely couldn't do his persona on CBS (though he might also be looking to retire that, who knows?). I think CBS would want to neuter Colbert even out of character.

Depending on their contracts, I would expect Degeneres or Kimmell.

Last edited by Binky on Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Binky

Back to top Go down

Post  Eris Rising on Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:21 am

Binky wrote:Ugh, the Chelsea Handler rumor sounds like something she started.

I saw an article suggesting Ellen Degeneres, and that sounds more in line for CBS. Colbert absolutely couldn't do his persona on CBS (though he might also be looking to retire that, who knows?). I think CBS would want to neuter Colbert even out of character.

Depending on their contracts, I would expect Degeneres or Kimmell,

Kimmel has a great gig over at ABC. There's no reason for a lateral move for him unless they pay him significantly more, and I don't see that happening.

Degeneres arguably has a better gig where she is, as well, though her format could translate to late night without a hitch.
Eris Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Heather on Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:24 pm

I will be super grossed out if they go with Chelsea Handler. I would love for a woman to have a late-night show, but I would hate to think she is the best our species has to offer. I TOTALLY agree that the rumors sound like things she is planting.

Heather

Back to top Go down

Post  Carrie Ann on Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:31 pm

I love Ellen, but her show seems better suited to daytime, and I'm not sure she would care enough about the late night cache (or paycheck) to make that change. Like, she does so much human-interest, feel-good stuff, I don't know that she'd want to give that up, and I just can't picture it at 11:30 pm.

I wonder if someone like Tina Fey or Amy Poehler would want this kind of gig? I don't really watch late-night shows anymore (and neither do a lot of Americans, apparently), so I don't know that I'd wish this on any of my favorite people anyway.
Carrie Ann

Back to top Go down

Post  Eris Rising on Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:04 pm

Carrie Ann wrote:I love Ellen, but her show seems better suited to daytime, and I'm not sure she would care enough about the late night cache (or paycheck) to make that change. Like, she does so much human-interest, feel-good stuff, I don't know that she'd want to give that up, and I just can't picture it at 11:30 pm.

I wonder if someone like Tina Fey or Amy Poehler would want this kind of gig? I don't really watch late-night shows anymore (and neither do a lot of Americans, apparently), so I don't know that I'd wish this on any of my favorite people anyway.

They supposedly ran the idea of replacing Fallon on his show past Fey, and she laughed in their faces, saying that if anything, he was the person to replace her in something, not the other way around. She might be good, but she has huge projects in the works. I don't see Poehler in the role, but Fallon surprised me, so it's possible. I just don't see her walking away from a good thing with Parks And Rec to take the risk.
Eris Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Gillian on Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:13 pm

The notion that anyone might be considering Chelsea Handler for this in even the tiniest way appalls me. I cannot deal with her. At all. I hope those are just vicious, vicious lies.

I have no idea if they'll go with Stephen Colbert, but it would break my heart to lose The Colbert Report. I love him, though, so I want whatever he wants. If he wants to retire the character and take Letterman's chair, then I grudgingly want that for him.

Gillian

Back to top Go down

Post  Carrie Ann on Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:29 pm

I was thinking more about Colbert--he's on an explicitly left-wing show, and I'd be kind of surprised if CBS would be comfortable with putting this show in his hands.
Carrie Ann

Back to top Go down

Post  Binky on Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:29 pm

Carrie Ann wrote:I don't really watch late-night shows anymore (and neither do a lot of Americans, apparently), so I don't know that I'd wish this on any of my favorite people anyway.

Yeah, honestly, the only person I would remember to watch is Jon Stewart. And maybe Conan. But I would probably forget about Conan after like one day.
Binky

Back to top Go down

Post  swsa on Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:04 pm

It's official!

Colbert got the gig.

I'm actually really interested to see how he'll do when he drops the persona.
swsa

Back to top Go down

Post  Tabby on Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:24 pm

I have to admit, that surprises me a lot.
Tabby

Back to top Go down

Post  jensa on Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:34 pm

I was kind of hoping they would go completely out of the box and hire Aisha Tyler, but then I remembered this was CBS. But I do love Colbert so its not a bad thing.
jensa

Back to top Go down

Post  swsa on Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:38 pm

This seemed to happen quickly and drama-free, so that makes me hope that Ferguson is taken care of too and just exercised his first pass option and will stay where he is.
swsa

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie on Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:26 pm

I was kind of hoping they would go completely out of the box and hire Aisha Tyler

Me too I think she'd make a GREAT late night host. I think the weird part is CBS committing to a Stephen Colbert not a lot of people can say they've ever seen. Like, yes obvs he's great on TCS, but if he is going to drop the character, IDK it seems like a big investment in an essentially unknown quantity especially by a company as otherwise conservative as CBS.

blixie
Mod Squad

http://thesnarkening.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Binky on Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:47 pm

I am surprised as well. I kind of think CBS might be counting on more conservative people hatewatching him, since even out of character he is obviously liberal.

Probably still won't watch it, personally. I am wondering what move Comedy Central will make with the 11:30pm slot. I wouldn't mind an hour long Daily Show.
Binky

Back to top Go down

Post  swsa on Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:10 pm

Binky wrote:I am surprised as well. I kind of think CBS might be counting on more conservative people hatewatching him, since even out of character he is obviously liberal.

I think the opposite, actually. His college age audience is HUGE. I think that's exactly why they wanted him. He basically has the audience Dave had in the 80's and Conan had in the 90's. With late show audiences skewing older as time goes on, that's a huge advantage to come in with.
swsa

Back to top Go down

Post  Eris Rising on Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:37 pm

swsa wrote:
Binky wrote:I am surprised as well. I kind of think CBS might be counting on more conservative people hatewatching him, since even out of character he is obviously liberal.

I think the opposite, actually. His college age audience is HUGE. I think that's exactly why they wanted him. He basically has the audience Dave had in the 80's and Conan had in the 90's. With late show audiences skewing older as time goes on, that's a huge advantage to come in with.
True, but they're watching "Stephen Colbert", not Stephen Colbert. I'm warming to the idea, since I'm realizing that his faux-right wing character over on The Colbert Report (and the entire schtick) has a limited shelf life, so it's best for him to retire the gimmick while it's still fresh, and move on to this new opportunity. I just hope that the real Stephen Colbert is the right man for the job, since I'm a fan of him as a person.

Eris Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Cutebutpsycho on Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:58 pm

jensa wrote:I was kind of hoping they would go completely out of the box and hire Aisha Tyler, but then I remembered this was CBS.  But I do love Colbert so its not a bad thing.  

Me too. But I love her Girl on Guy podcast because it's just so smart and funny and a good conversation.

I hope that it works for Colbert -- and really, I look forward to weird crossovers with Fallon and Stewart.
Cutebutpsycho

Back to top Go down

Post  Binky on Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:21 am

Eris Rising wrote:
swsa wrote:

True, but they're watching "Stephen Colbert", not Stephen Colbert.  I'm warming to the idea, since I'm realizing that his faux-right wing character over on The Colbert Report (and the entire schtick) has a limited shelf life, so it's best for him to retire the gimmick while it's still fresh, and move on to this new opportunity.  

That's more what I was thinking. Obviously they want the youth audience (though, who knows if that will follow the real Stephen Colbert), and they have to know they are certainly going to piss off a piece of the older/conservative pie, who might watch so they can complain. I do wish him the best and I hope he does get hatewached by that group of people.
Binky

Back to top Go down

Post  Agent Sculder on Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:25 am

As much as I will miss The Colbert Report, this does seem like a good move for him and CBS. Stephen doesn't break character often, but when he has, he comes across as a very nice, pretty regular guy. The last time I can think that he did that was when his mom passed away and he gave her a very heartfelt tribute when he returned.

I've never been a late night talk show watcher, but I will probably tune in to watch him. I'm actually looking forward to seeing him do skits like he used to do on The Daily Show. He's also not a bad singer either. Hopefully he will take some of his writers with him to his new gig, which should help with the transition.

I gotta say, I'm impressed that CBS handled this in such a drama-free way.

Agent Sculder

Back to top Go down

Post  big chicken on Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:44 am

It helps that Letterman himself seems averse to drama. I remember back when Ted Koppel was still doing Nightline there were rumors that ABC had offered Letterman that time slot. I can't remember everything Letterman said when addressing the rumors but the gist was that he had tremendous respect for Ted Koppel and his work and that when Ted decided to leave it would be because Ted had made that decision. Letterman was not going to do anything which would force him out.

big chicken

Back to top Go down

Post  Eris Rising on Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:25 pm

Having two people who seem to honestly like and respect each other (and who regularly guested on each others' shows, often with legendary results) is going to dramatically change the late night landscape.
Eris Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top