This Business of Show

Page 9 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: This Business of Show

Post  Corvus on Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:34 pm

To be fair to Sony Studios, they didn't so much 'cancel' as found themselves with few or no venues for distribution (theatrical or digital). "I can't get a date, so I'm boycotting prom." Sony Headquarters is busy being justifiably twitchy about a bellicose neighbor with nuclear weapons and an absence of sanity, based on events both current and historic. Can't blame them. Once the US weighed in to point the finger at a foreign government, it became about force majeure clauses in all the contracts and welcome to insurance payouts, so it makes sense to just declare the whole project totaled, and revisit a release when the bullets have stopped flying. If they time it right, pay-per-viewing the silly thing will be an act of patriotism.

We've been watching to see if the Sony head of IT throws himself on his sword*, because it looks like IT did as much as they could, under the circumstances. My company is certainly freaking out, to which we are saying:
"Did you change your password like we told you?"
"Uh..."
"Is it on a post-it on your monitor?"
"Uh..."
"Can we now implement the cell phone policy you rejected because it was INCONVENIENT?"
"Yes! We're sorry!"
"Are you writing moronic and offensive emails that demonstrate you are all spoilt, privileged ego monsters and an embarrassment to adulthood much less the company?"
"Now see here..."
"Ready to approve the budget for security you cut by two-thirds last year?"
"Let's see how things play out."

It's going to be a long and ugly January here in Hollywood.

*Roman reference, not Japanese, which would be gauche.
Corvus

Back to top Go down

Post  The Dude on Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:13 am

Rumor has it the Playboy Mansion will go up for sale and the magazine has stopped publishing nudity.

My father is rolling over in his grave.
The Dude

Back to top Go down

Post  slmader on Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:13 am

The Playboy Mansion is definitely for sale. I think they want $200 million for it or something, and the rights for Hefner to live there until he dies. They also said that the house is derelict and that the land is worth more without the house on it than with.

slmader

Back to top Go down

Post  dionneshea on Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:05 pm

I just found out about this and it's making me a little stabby: Gillian Anderson was only offered half the salary that David Duchovny was for the reboot. Half. HALF! Like, what the fuck, Hollywood. What kind of sexist bullshit is that? Luckily, she negotiated to equal pay, but good god, that's maddening.
dionneshea

Back to top Go down

Post  Morning Angel on Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:08 pm

dionneshea wrote:I just found out about this and it's making me a little stabby: Gillian Anderson was only offered half the salary that David Duchovny was for the reboot. Half. HALF! Like, what the fuck, Hollywood. What kind of sexist bullshit is that? Luckily, she negotiated to equal pay, but good god, that's maddening.

Ugh. What BS.
Morning Angel

Back to top Go down

Post  QueenSix on Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:02 pm

I've said this elsewhere but she's definitely the more bankable of the two at this point. She's had BBC dramas that were very well received, not to mention she made a huge impact in Hannibal. He hasn't branched out as well as she has since the show ended. So this is complete bullshit that she'd get offered half pay.
Fucking Hollywood.

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  Corvus on Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:24 pm

There is a small bright light in that story: If an agent, a manager's assistant, or anyone involved in his negotiations revealed that information to her (or her staff), they would be at risk of their jobs and serious legal action. And unlikely she would act on second hand gossip that could get someone fired. The one person who can safely have told her was Duchovny himself (the offer, not the final salary as that would be a breach). Even though it will mightily peeve the studios, he's relatively safe. If so, good on him.
Corvus

Back to top Go down

Post  The Dude on Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:28 pm

In fairness he has sex rehab to pay for.

Rationalizing skeevery as an addiction ain't cheap.
The Dude

Back to top Go down

Post  dreago on Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:55 am

You know, the pay thing is HORRIBLE, no doubt, but I'm surprised most people haven't also picked up on the other little detail in her interview...she was made to walk two steps behind Duchovny in the early seasons. TWO STEPS BEHIND. FOR REASONS. I just can't. So she gets less pay AND less dignity as a human being. Awesome. And it kinda makes me mad at Duchovny. Was he ok with this? Could he, did he speak up? That's soo shitty.

dreago

Back to top Go down

Post  Carrie Ann on Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:41 am

Duchovny was seemingly a huge jackass from about S3 on, I think, so I'd be pretty surprised if he spoke up on Gillian's behalf at any point. My husband just finished watching the whole series (and movies!) for the first time, and in rewatching some with him, I noticed that Scully was always straining to catch up to Mulder, at least early on. There are a lot of ways she was made to seem subordinate to him that got slightly better as time went by, but were really frustrating in the early going.

That said, DD seems to have gotten really real with himself and GA about that time and his role in making things awful between them, and it's been so nice seeing them so happy and loving with each other in the couple of years.
Carrie Ann

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie on Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:08 am

There are a lot of ways she was made to seem subordinate to him that got slightly better as time went by

Which is even more odd since she's supposedly there to spy on him and undermine his work. I always interpreted that as the reason Mulder would stride ahead of her, it was a way of portraying how little he could trust her given his generalized paranoia and that the audience knows she's in this powerful position of being his human credential.

I thought Gillian went out of her way to say David didn't really support that blocking, but I also can believe he wasn't overly concerned about anything outside his own bubble, aka what was expected of him, aka The Renner defense. I am sure this is one of many things that fed into their relationship being complicated and awkward back in the day, I can't imagine they didn't collaboratively decided she should be in step with each other, but it wasn't anything he took notice of until she brought it up.

blixie
Mod Squad

http://thesnarkening.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

View previous topic View next topic Back to top