This Business of Show

Page 3 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: This Business of Show

Post  Coneycat on Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:49 am

I don't know where else to put this, so here we go: Lenora Crichlow-- Annie from BBC's "Being Human" may have a role in a new US sitcom. Apparently James Caan will star as a Little League coach, which sounds absolutely terrifying, but if Lenora's in it I'm in.

Coneycat

Back to top Go down

Post  Rhilin on Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:35 am

I'm not sure what I think about the premise of that sitcom, but I would definitely tune in for Lenora. (And since Maggie Lawson is apparently a lead, does that mean Psych is wrapping up? It would be weird to have Psych without her).

Rhilin

Back to top Go down

Post  biakbiak on Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:46 am

I don't think it's official but many people speculated that the 8th season will the last. They are currently airing the 7th.
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  Eris Rising on Sun May 12, 2013 6:45 pm

The final, unsurprising piece of the puzzle falls into place:

Seth Meyers to take over Late Night from Jimmy Fallon.

This means that Lorne Michaels now owns all of NBC's late night real estate.
Eris Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  The Dude on Sun May 12, 2013 9:23 pm

Until Jay Leno takes the Tonight Show back.
The Dude

Back to top Go down

Post  Eris Rising on Sun May 12, 2013 9:39 pm

The Dude wrote:Until Jay Leno takes the Tonight Show back.

I think if anything, he'll go after Letterman's slot on CBS this time.

"Bet you didn't see this one coming, Dave!"
Eris Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran on Mon May 13, 2013 5:17 pm

I think this is probably an ideal fit for Seth Meyers.

I also think Letterman is the talk show host most likely to shank Leno if he touches him, so I hope that happens.
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  TiffanyNichelle on Mon May 13, 2013 5:28 pm

I'm going to miss seeing Seth do Weekend Update (I'm one of the few handful that actually liked him at it) but I look at this way, instead of going to bed with Seth one night week, I get to do it five nights a week. Yay!
TiffanyNichelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran on Mon May 13, 2013 5:37 pm

I enjoyed him too. I think hes better with a partner, but hes underrated I think. I mean he was the writer behind Hamm and Buble and all of Tina Fey's Sarah Palin stuff. I think he will do very well in a talk show environment.

I hope they get Bill Hader as Stefon to be his Andy Richter.
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  Eris Rising on Mon May 13, 2013 10:09 pm

I thought that he was a bit at sea during his first Amy-less season, but eventually adapted to the solo role very well.

And considering the success rate of the past five WU anchors, that chair just turned into the Holy Grail for the cast. The lobbying is probably through the roof right now.
Eris Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Binky on Mon May 13, 2013 10:25 pm

Eris Rising wrote:

And considering the success rate of the past five WU anchors, that chair just turned into the Holy Grail for the cast. The lobbying is probably through the roof right now.

Yeah, I think that line of succession is more interesting/potential for breakout than the Late Night Show musical chairs. I am not even sure that in 5-10 years there's still going to be a Tonight Show, Late Show, Late Late show, so it's not like this sets Seth Meyers up to be the Tonight Show host then (Leno will come back and steal it, duh). I like him on WU (though yeah, it did take a while for him to get used to being alone). That said I am too old to watching anything other than Daily Show and then go to bed.
Binky

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Tue May 14, 2013 1:45 am

I feel nervous for him. I get the feeling he'll be rather awkward at interviews for the first few months, but maybe that's just my usual pessimism talking. I've crushed on Seth since he first showed up on SNL so I hope he's a majorly asskicking success in his latest endeavor!

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Eris Rising on Tue May 14, 2013 1:55 am

whatthedeuce wrote:I feel nervous for him. I get the feeling he'll be rather awkward at interviews for the first few months, but maybe that's just my usual pessimism talking. I've crushed on Seth since he first showed up on SNL so I hope he's a majorly asskicking success in his latest endeavor!

Fallon was also awkward to begin with, and Conan was a twitchy embarrassment for almost an entire year.
Eris Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Genevieve on Tue May 14, 2013 6:51 am

It is one of those jobs that is trial by fire. If you are lucky you are given the time to learn how to be a host, find your rhythm and create your own identity.
Genevieve

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Tue May 14, 2013 10:05 am

I feel that Jimmy is a born talker so I figured he'd eventually hit his stride with interviews where as Seth strikes me more as an observer rather than a talker so in my mind, it seems like it'll be more difficult for him to a comfy rhythm and groove. I may be completely wrong though and Seth may very well excel at the chatting aspect without much trouble.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Carrie Ann on Tue May 14, 2013 10:59 am

My concern is that, although I love him and have a little crush on him, Seth can come off as cocky and smug. As we saw with Craig Kilborn, that's not fun to watch for an hour of interacting with people. So I hope he can tone that part down. I think it's going to take some time for him.
Carrie Ann

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran on Tue May 14, 2013 11:19 am

That is a role that I think he actively plays up though for SNL. And I've heard nothing but lovely things about him as a person. Whereas...Craig Kilborn?...I heard his image wasn't much nicer then who he was in real life.
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  Carrie Ann on Tue May 14, 2013 11:37 am

Kiran - that's a relief. I follow him on Twitter and he seems really cool and sweet there, but I've never seen him on anything but SNL so I don't think I've seen the "real" Seth on screen, I guess.
Carrie Ann

Back to top Go down

Post  Eris Rising on Tue May 14, 2013 1:32 pm

Kiran wrote:That is a role that I think he actively plays up though for SNL. And I've heard nothing but lovely things about him as a person. Whereas...Craig Kilborn?...I heard his image wasn't much nicer then who he was in real life.

I always thought that what we saw of Kilborn on screen was just an act. Then I read interviews, and thought "Wow, he's really committed to this douchey character". Then I realized that he's like that all the damned time.
Eris Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  punkysdilemma on Tue May 14, 2013 2:22 pm

Kiran wrote:I hope they get Bill Hader as Stefon to be his Andy Richter.
With today's news of Hader leaving SNL, I wonder if you will get your wish.
punkysdilemma

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Tue May 14, 2013 3:19 pm

Carrie Ann, I haven't seen or heard much of Seth outside SNL, but I definitely have always seen the Weekend Update Seth as a persona. He seems to me like he'd really be a laidback and rather endearingly dorky guy more tha anything else.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Gillian on Tue May 14, 2013 10:22 pm

I have a medium-sized crush on Seth and hope he does well. Anytime people at work are being awful, I imagine he and Amy Poehler following them around going, "Really!?! REALLY!?!" for me.

I never watched Craig Kilborn, but my allergy nurse back when I was in high school was his cousin, and she didn't seem to like him very much.

Gillian

Back to top Go down

Post  Eris Rising on Tue May 14, 2013 11:24 pm

Gillian wrote:I have a medium-sized crush on Seth and hope he does well. Anytime people at work are being awful, I imagine he and Amy Poehler following them around going, "Really!?! REALLY!?!" for me.

I never watched Craig Kilborn, but my allergy nurse back when I was in high school was his cousin, and she didn't seem to like him very much.

Few people do. Of course, there's this charming interview segment in which he was asked about Daily Show producer (at the time) Lizz Winstead.

In January 1998, she walked away from the show after the host Craig Kilborn told Esquire , “To be honest, Lizz does find me very attractive. If I wanted her to blow me, she would.”
Eris Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Wed May 15, 2013 12:32 am

What would possess him to say that out loud? For fuck's sake, I can see him thinking disgusting things like that, but to say it during an interview shows a frightening level of arrogance and utter disregard for the feelings of that producer. I thought that smarminess was mostly a persona. Clearly, I have never been more wrong in my life. What an unbelievable dickhead!

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Skyblade on Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:50 pm

Jim Carrey bows out of promoting Kick-Ass 2. Now, I'm of the stance that once an actor gets a ridiculous amount of money, they're not even getting paid to act anymore, they're basically getting paid to lease out their likeness, fanbase, that sort of thing. So what he's doing is kind of a huge breach of contract. Except, when people are saying "He should give the money back" or whatever, there's talk of "Well, we don't know what's in the contract". Now maybe the studio doesn't want to press the issue as to not look insensitive. But if Carrey's contract was vague on promotional duties, and that kind of oversight was common...I expect that to change.

Skyblade

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top