This Business of Show

Page 4 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: This Business of Show

Post  Snarryfan on Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:13 pm

Also, you are doing Kick Ass 2--a movie that you knew was going to be incredibly violent when a) you saw the first one; b) read the script; and c) filmed it. I understand having a response if after doing the movie an event happened in the world that suddenly made an aspect of it super uncomfortable (I am thinking of the opening scene of Jack Reacher or the theatre scene in Gangster Squad). To suddenly go "oh, in this new climate of violence I feel uncomfortable promoting my violent film" reeks of ignorance and self-servingness. The violent climate existed while you were shooting the movie and it comes across as you not wanting to promote a film you don't think will get good reviews (or which you will get pans) and avoiding the press under the guise of "sensitivity."

Plus he's an anti-vaccine person so Boo all around to Jim Carrey.

Snarryfan

Back to top Go down

Post  Heather on Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:57 pm

I can understand how Newtown would have reminded him that a culture of violence against/among kids exists that many (for sanity's sake) like to assume does not, until we're confronted with it. But I do think he should, say, donate his salary from the film to an appropriate charity.

However, I'd also like to note that I had no idea they made a Kick Ass 2 until I read the story about him refusing to promote it, so in the end he's giving it maybe more press than simply showing up on Letterman and some premieres would have.

Heather

Back to top Go down

Post  Skyblade on Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:48 am

Vulture List of Top 100 Stars

It's a "very scientific" combination of things like box-office, prestige, tabloid and social media mentions, industry regard and just plain fame. I'm surprised so many people don't know Amy Adams by name, and I think Cumberpatch was really lucky it wasn't a month later, otherwise Tom Hiddleson or somebody might have taken his spot.

Skyblade

Back to top Go down

Post  Binky on Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:56 am

Skyblade wrote:Vulture List of Top 100 Stars

It's a "very scientific" combination of things like box-office, prestige, tabloid and social media mentions, industry regard and just plain fame. I'm surprised so many people don't know Amy Adams by name, and I think Cumberpatch was really lucky it wasn't a month later, otherwise Tom Hiddleson or somebody might have taken his spot.
I know Amy Adams by name, but I couldn't pick her out of a red-haired line up. I'm more baffled by Emma Stone being #32 - I wouldn't know her name or her face without prompting.
Binky

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran on Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:41 pm

She has a lot of visibility though, Revlon ads, relationship with Andrew Garfield, etc. And aside from Jennifer Lawrence shes probably the most well liked of the young actresses (I'd argue that Kristen Stewart is probably more famous but I've always heard that Emma Stone is pretty universally beloved by the industry). And I read in the hollywood reporter recently that while, out of all the actresses in her age range Jennifer Lawrence in gets offered dramas first, and Emma Stone is her equivelent for comedies. Add in that she has a pretty hot streak with said comedies, and was one of the leads in the Help and got good reviews for the Amazing Spiderman, it seems about right. Especially since she looks to have a busy 2014.

I'm a bit suprised people don't know Amy Adams by name, but I wonder if her surprising versatility is helping with that? Like, maybe if your not a huge fan you wouldn't necessarily put together that the nun in Doubt is Lois Lain who is also Giselle who is the tough girlfriend in the Fighter, etc. Like shes been so successful I think because she is both likable and very adaptable but because of it she doesn't have the same that is Amy Adams and that is an Amy Adams film thing she might have had, had she followed the track she seemed to be on post Enchanted and gone the Reese Witherspoon rom com route (which Reese herself appears to actively be trying to break out of.)
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  Poubelle on Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:21 am

Skyblade wrote:I think Cumberpatch was really lucky it wasn't a month later, otherwise Tom Hiddleson or somebody might have taken his spot.
He is lucky that NY Mag went to press with the list before Fifth Estate flopped. But unlike Hiddleston, he's in TWO big Oscarbait movies this year, plus the Hobbit. What's Hiddleston got coming out besides the next Thor? I mean, I pay more attention to movies than average, and after thinking about it really hard, the only non-Loki film role of his I could come up with was "wait, was he in War Horse? Am I mixing him up with Cumberbatch?" (I needed IMDB's help to remember he was pretty good in Midnight in Paris.)

KStew is ridiculously high. Yeah, she had a successful non-Twilight film, but Hemsworth and Theron were in that, too.

I'm also confused with Christoph Waltz--he's great, he's got an Oscar, but is anyone seriously casting him as a lead, let alone treating him as a bankable star? (Is he even going for leading man roles himself?)

(I have no idea if Louis CK knew his ad was going to be on the list, but what a great place for it. I didn't realize it was an ad, tried to find him on the list, and wound up clicking the ad. I didn't buy his jokes$$, but apparently I can believe that he might be one of the 100 Most Valuable Stars. I suspect what he lacks in box office, he probably makes up for in likability and Twitter mentions.)
Poubelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Skyblade on Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:53 am

"wait, was he in War Horse? Am I mixing him up with Cumberbatch?"
They were both in it! At the same time!

Louis CK is king of stand-up comedy, and I'm unsure of how Louie is perceived in the non-standup world, just that everyone in my circle watches it religiously. I don't know how a TV Star list for this work, it'd probably be a little more boring for the same reason the Emmy race is more boring than the Oscar race--more static career trajectories, a larger pool of talent to the point of white noise, and "successful" and "hot" in television can be mutually exclusive more often than not.

Skyblade

Back to top Go down

Post  Agent Sculder on Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:55 am

Hiddleston, Cumberbatch, and to some extent Fassbender are basically three go-to Britishy actors of the moment, although I think each guy is very different.  Fassbender is a movie star in a way that Cumberbatch and Hiddleston aren't yet (and may never be) because he's so conventionally handsome.  He's also a great actor who picks interesting projects, but like the other two isn't averse to the occasional high profile blockbuster role (Magento).  Hiddleston is sort of the guy in the middle who has great in person chemistry and connects well with the public, but they pretty much only know him as Loki because his other non-Loki roles haven't been as widely seen (he's really good in Deep Blue Sea with Rachel Weiscz).  He's also Hollywood handsome, but he's not averse to doing television, something I can't see Fassbender doing at this point in his career.

Then there's Cumberbatch whose been working pretty much non-stop the past couple of years bouncing between theater, TV, and movies.  He's done blockbuster films, but also seems to be happy taking supporting roles in big Oscar bait-y movies.  He's probably the biggest chameleon of the three, but that's probably partially due to the fact he's not as conventionally handsome as the other two.  If he decides to stick with films, I see him being cast as a LOT of villains, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.  He's sort of a younger Alan Rickman in that respect.  TV is probably the one place I can see him being considered a leading man, but he seems to want to keep his career diverse so I don't think he's going to stop doing movies any time soon, even if that means playing a lot of bad guys.

Agent Sculder

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran on Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:57 am

Louis is fairly critically beloved, and I think Louis CK is adored by non stand ups to in the same way someone like Chris Rock is.

I agree pretty thoroughly with your assessment. I think Fassbinder is going to do the best out of all of them, mainly because I think he has genuine movie star charisma, and he appears to be the frontrunner for the supporting oscar right now, and I think Cumberbatch is going to end up possibly doing a bit better than Hiddleston, just because flop of Fifth Estate aside, he seems far better at picking roles aside from the genre one that made him famous. Hiddleston WAS very good in Deep Blue Sea but if anyone saw that movie, it was Weisz who got the attention. Hes very good in the Hollow Crown, but again its not film work. What I've seen of him aside from Thor I really like, but Cumberbatch has two showy parts two probable oscar contenders still coming, and is potentially going to replace Tom Hardy in that Everest movie, now that Hardy is doing the Elton John biopic (theres someone I still think has the potential to be huger then both Hiddleston and Cumberbatch). I don't have any idea what Hiddleston is doing beside the Jim Jarmusch vampire movie. That might be by choice, or just his agent not working hard enough, I don't know.

I continue to be impressed by Chris Hemsworth, who is also on that list though. I think hes also very good in Thor and the Avengers, and he was great in Rush, and he seems to have formed a really good rep in Hollywood that will help him, since his next movie is with Michael Mann and he seems to be developing an ongoing Tom Hanks like relationship with Ron Howard.
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  punkysdilemma on Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:57 pm

Today's "older" stars vs. older stars

One thing I take away from this is "Holy shit, Denzel is almost 60?"
punkysdilemma

Back to top Go down

Post  naughty zoot on Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:22 pm

I would love to see Daniel Day Lewis's version of Bad News Bears.
naughty zoot

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran on Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:52 pm

I keep imagining Demi Moore as Blanche. Its weirdly natural.
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  naughty zoot on Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:37 pm

If you've taken comfort from the American Humane Association's end credit disclaimer that "No Animals Were Harmed" during production...well, not so much with the truth there.
naughty zoot

Back to top Go down

Post  GoodbyeWithWords on Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:37 pm

Are surprise albums going to become a thing in the music industry now, thanks to Beyonce? I wouldn't mind surprise movies or TV shows, either, though logistically, I doubt that's feasible. Now, though, I'll have it in my head that Rowling really could just drop an eighth Harry Potter book on the world out of the blue one day, if she wanted to...

GoodbyeWithWords

Back to top Go down

Post  ActonBell on Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:08 pm

I love the lack of promotion. I think projects now get hyped up so much for long ahead of release that it's a real treat when there is a surprise like this.
ActonBell

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:01 pm

I was squeeing when I saw Beyonce's album announcement on Instagram. Between that and the recent Gaga and 1D releases, Christmas has come early. And in pop form, too!

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Wildog27 on Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:22 am

Yes, Jay Leno. Sometimes you get screwed; sometimes you have a highly rated show that you don't really want to leave and then you do and screw over your replacement. Link

Wildog27

Back to top Go down

Post  Eris Rising on Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:01 pm

Wildog27 wrote:Yes, Jay Leno. Sometimes you get screwed; sometimes you have a highly rated show that you don't really want to leave and then you do and screw over your replacement. Link

Interesting that he mentioned Bieber, since he seems to have only a touch more self-awareness than the Biebs.
Eris Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Binky on Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:42 pm

I bet Leno was totally pitching another "Jay Leno Show" at 10:00pm, and the only reason NBC didn't take him up on it was Fallon learned from Conan and put a "NO JAY LENO ANYWHERE EVER" clause in the contract.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised to see Leno start a similar show on, like, CW.
Binky

Back to top Go down

Post  Eris Rising on Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:52 am

Binky wrote:I bet Leno was totally pitching another "Jay Leno Show" at 10:00pm, and the only reason NBC didn't take him up on it was Fallon learned from Conan and put a "NO JAY LENO ANYWHERE EVER" clause in the contract.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised to see Leno start a similar show on, like, CW.

With the tween crowd there? The best that he could hope for would be a syndication deal.
Eris Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  The Dude on Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:23 am

I guess Carson should have been thankful Jay never pushed him down a flight of stairs.
The Dude

Back to top Go down

Post  Eris Rising on Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:20 am

The Dude wrote:I guess Carson should have been thankful Jay never pushed him down a flight of stairs.

I'm now getting ideas for Whatever Happened To Baby Jay?
Eris Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Raised by wolves on Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:27 am

Well I'm sure that's the brain's way of not imagining Leno headlining a topless Vegas show.

Raised by wolves

Back to top Go down

Post  The Dude on Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:04 pm

Raised by wolves wrote:
Well I'm sure that's the brain's way of not imagining Leno headlining a topless Vegas show.
Probably Jay 's next job.
The Dude

Back to top Go down

Post  Eris Rising on Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:35 am

Raised by wolves wrote:

No, why whore yourself to Kyle MacLachlan when it's so much more lucrative to do it to NBC as a whole, at least until they cast you aside in favor of a younger, prettier model?
Eris Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top