Homosexuality in Hollywood

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Homosexuality in Hollywood

Post  Raksha on Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:55 am

Benji Schwimmer (S3 'So You Think You Can Dance' winner) comes out. He came out during an interview with Mormon Stories. It's a very long interview and I'm not all the way through it, but I'm really impressed with his honesty. He always seemed so cheerful and positive, so it was shocking to hear how awful things had gotten for him. I'm really glad he managed to pull himself together and live his life on his own terms, because he seems like a nice guy.

Here's the part of his interview that deals with his homosexuality and his decision to leave the LDS. (That's actually Part 3 of his interview. Part 1 talks about his early years and Part 2 talks about his 'So You Think You Can Dance' experience)
Raksha

Back to top Go down

Re: Homosexuality in Hollywood

Post  naughty zoot on Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:41 pm

naughty zoot

Back to top Go down

Post  Crowbridge on Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:46 pm

Not shocked about Anderson Cooper. I'm glad he feels comfortable enough to be open about his sexuality.

Crowbridge

Back to top Go down

Post  Decca on Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:58 pm

I think he sort of acknowledges in the letter that everybody already knew.

It’s become clear to me that by remaining silent on certain aspects of my personal life for so long, I have given some the mistaken impression that I am trying to hide something - something that makes me uncomfortable, ashamed or even afraid.

That says to me that he wasn't expecting this to be a revelation to anyone, just that he wants it clear that this isn't something he's ashamed of. That not talking about it never made people think he was straight, it made people think he was gay and closeted. Maybe Rachel Maddow's success made him realize you can be a respected journalist, out, and private all at once.

Decca

Back to top Go down

Post  Binky on Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:06 pm

He alludes to it briefly in his statement, but I suspect his new desk job was a contributing factor. He's been in dangerous places where being openly gay would have made it even more dangerous for him.
Binky

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie on Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:53 pm

Alright, alright, alright! 360 degrees of AC isn't just a number anymore! I quite enjoyed his appearance on Kathy's show last week when he said he grabbed a guy on a plane who was not so clandestinely filming him with an iPhone and said, "Bitch, what the fuck do you think you're doing?!" And then was like, "Oh shit did I really just say that out loud?" Hee. I'm glad he decided to be visible.

blixie
Mod Squad

http://thesnarkening.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  xyzzy on Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:51 pm

I'm glad he came out, too, though I agree with him that sexual orientation shouldn't really be the focus of a news reporter's personality/career. I love Anderson. He's so cute and genuine and I love how much he cares about the news he reports. Saving that boy in Haiti was awesome. And it's never a bad thing for queer kids to have role models, so while it bugs me that heterosexuals don't feel pressure to "come out" about their sex lives at work, I do appreciate celebrities who are willing to do so.
xyzzy

Back to top Go down

Post  Binky on Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:22 am

US Soccer star Megan Rapinoe comes out (most people who follow women's soccer probably guessed/knew).

I heard she used to date her teammate Abby Wambach (who is not openly gay). If there's some kind of correlation between sleeping with your teammates and achieving successful passes, the US men's team needs to have an orgy.
Binky

Back to top Go down

Post  QueenSix on Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:17 am

Binky wrote:I heard she used to date her teammate Abby Wambach (who is not openly gay). If there's some kind of correlation between sleeping with your teammates and achieving successful passes, the US men's team needs to have an orgy.

I don't even want to think about what the Ireland national team need to get up to if they're ever going to be successful again!

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  biakbiak on Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:55 am

Frank Ocean of hip-hop collective Odd Future (who because I am old and white first heard about reading a profile in The New Yorker a year ago) comes out. And because people suck and homophobia is still very real and hateful, promptly gets a shit ton of hate on twitter.
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  sen3 on Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:31 am

I love Frank Ocean's music. He's ridiculously talented. I'm lame because all this only makes me like him more.

sen3

Back to top Go down

Post  Miss Moneypenny on Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:57 am

biakbiak wrote:Frank Ocean of hip-hop collective Odd Future (who because I am old and white first heard about reading a profile in The New Yorker a year ago) comes out. And because people suck and homophobia is still very real and hateful, promptly gets a shit ton of hate on twitter.

I am also old and white and only know him from his guest spots on Watch the Throne, but his story about falling in love with a friend is so lovely and lyrical that it totally makes me want to check out his music.
Miss Moneypenny

http://daisyrazor.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys on Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:57 am

biakbiak wrote:Frank Ocean of hip-hop collective Odd Future (who because I am old and white first heard about reading a profile in The New Yorker a year ago)
Hahaha, yep, that's where I learned about Odd Future too.

comes out. And because people suck and homophobia is still very real and hateful, promptly gets a shit ton of hate on twitter.
Well, that is bullshit. Good for him, and I agree, the post is lovely. It sounds like he feels unburdened and at peace, and I hope that will see him through the crap the haters are putting him through.
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  katesti on Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:39 pm

That was absolutely beautifully written, but I'm having a hard time reconciling it with what I know about Tyler, The Creator and much of Odd Future's music. It sounds like his solo stuff is much different, though, so I'm off to listen to some of his mixtapes.

katesti

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys on Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:05 pm

Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  biakbiak on Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:18 pm

I assumed everyone knew. There were tons of rumors about Victor and Bradley Cooper having an affair during the Alias days and while people debated Bradley being gay, no one debated Victor. He has also been seen out and about with his partner for years.

To me it was similar to Neil Patrick Harris, most people who knew anything about NPH, knew he was gay, he and David went to events together but he wasn't a celebrity that people gossiped about their private life because he was mainly doing theater in NY. It was only when his profile was raised by playing such womanizing characters that people started asking about his love life and then his publicist's assistant denied that he was gay that he felt the need to make a formal statement.

Last edited by biakbiak on Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  Swarley on Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:25 pm

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that was common knowledge like, as biakbiak said NPH or Anderson Cooper.

Swarley

Back to top Go down

Post  punzy on Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:47 pm

Yeah, he and his partner are frequently seen wandering about NYC. Also there was a profile about his partner somewhere. I think GoFugYourself linked to it.

punzy

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:59 pm

I'm shocked, SHOCKED, to find gambling going on in this establishment.

(Sir, here are your winnings)

Oh, thank you.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  salamandersam on Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:39 pm

Instant Monkeys wrote:Did everyone else know this already? Cause I sure didn't.

I remember during Alias it was fairly widely known (in that even I knew) that Garber was gay.

salamandersam

Back to top Go down

Post  Carrie Ann on Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:02 pm

Yeah, I heard this during the early Alias years. I wouldn't even compare it to Anderson Cooper because I don't think Victor ever denied it or even dissembled. I just don't think he's the kind of celeb who gets asked those questions. Even here, it wasn't like, "Are you gay???" He just mentioned his partner when talking about his life.
Carrie Ann

Back to top Go down

Post  Binky on Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:09 pm

I recently saw it on the front page of People.com, which I guess is about as official as it gets.

But I've heard rumors since Alias. Wasn't his partner there when he was the officiant at Ben and Jen's wedding?
Binky

Back to top Go down

Post  Unlucky Bear on Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:09 pm

There was a piece on Gawker (I think) about how impossibly handsome his partner, Ranier Andreesen, is. Dude is seriously fine. It's like he sprung fully formed from the head of an Eddie Bauer catalog.
Unlucky Bear
Official Succubus

Back to top Go down

Post  Lily Rose on Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:18 pm

Unlucky Bear wrote:There was a piece on Gawker (I think) about how impossibly handsome his partner, Ranier Andreesen, is. Dude is seriously fine. It's like he sprung fully formed from the head of an Eddie Bauer catalog.
It was Jezebel and it's true, he is hot.

Lily Rose

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys on Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:49 pm

Soooooooo...yes, then. Hee.

Damn, that boyfriend IS hot.
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down