Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Shakespeare on Screen

+23
Agent Sculder
Pop'n'Fresh
Grainne Mhaol
Poubelle
elleth
Cynara
Paris, Texas
Coneycat
RiverThames
blixie
ActonBell
Red Wolf
epudom
PrincessCleo
Esseilte
Lurker
Fiammetta
Menshevixen
queenofdenile
Gallifrey Girl
Putli Bai
Luthien
allochthonous
27 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Shakespeare on Screen - Page 2 Empty Re: Shakespeare on Screen

Post  Coneycat Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:52 am

My main problem, in theory, with Anonymous (which I haven't seen and probably won't) was the way the trailers tried to convince me to be more interested in the identity of the writer than in the plays themselves. And I've got to tell you-- even if the theory was true, unless I was a much more serious student of history and literature than I am, I would still be unable to care. Because my first thought on seeing the first trailer was, "Whoever wrote this stuff has been dead for four hundred years. And yet the plays live. So... not interested."

This thread reminds me, though-- it's a TV show so it doesn't fit here, but I need to get my DVDs of Slings and Arrows out and watch that again.

Coneycat

Back to top Go down

Post  Paris, Texas Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:30 am

Mark Rylance?! Oh man. Jeremy Irons lives in a pink castle and is a genuine eccentric, and Derek Jacobi is elderly and accomplished enough to think whatever the fuck he pleases, but Mark Rylance? That the Greatest Actor Of His Generation is one of Them is a MASSIVE blow.

Paris, Texas

Back to top Go down

Post  Cynara Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:31 pm

Well, she's not famous, but my college Shakespeare professor was a rabid Oxfordian. She's also a whack job who made us perform Henry VI, Part I. Which one is that, you ask?* Exactly. When we got to the dress/run-through three days before opening, I sat and watched rehearsal and realized we had a few kinks to work out, like fact that 1) we were putting on the most painfully amateur production of 2) the longest, most boring play ever written and 3) charging people to see it.

*It's the one where they burn Joan of Arc at the stake at the end, for the record. Shakespeare didn't actually show it, but Crazy Prof obviously knew better than him, so we put in a little after-credits scene, complete with original dialogue. It went about as well as you'd think.

HEY TOPIC: I totally enjoyed Sir Ken's 19th-century Japan remix of As You Like It. Everyone and their brother is in it, as usual.

Cynara

Back to top Go down

Post  elleth Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:45 am

Coneycat wrote:This thread reminds me, though-- it's a TV show so it doesn't fit here, but I need to get my DVDs of Slings and Arrows out and watch that again.

I am so deeply in love with this show right now. Going to have to buy it this year. So excited there's talk about a s.4.

Is there a good film version of Lear? I've seen a BBC(?) version that had Ian Holm.

elleth

Back to top Go down

Post  Poubelle Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:26 am

The best film version of Lear is in Japanese and called Ran.* (I'm not kidding. It's a brilliant adaptation, both in making the story work on screen and moving it to feudal Japan. And just an excellent movie all around.)

Speaking of unconventional Shakespeare adaptations, I've always had huge soft spot for 10 Things I Hate About You.

*which translates to chaos, appropriately enough
Poubelle
Poubelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Luthien Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:45 pm

Has anyone seen the Kenneth Branagh version of Love's Labour's Lost? I've heard the least about this one of all his Shakespeare adaptations, and after seeing a very good live theatre production of the play, I'd like to check it out. I heard something about it being a musical?

Luthien

Back to top Go down

Post  Grainne Mhaol Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:49 pm

Not to pimp, but this is a really good overview of Kenneth Brannagh's Shakespearian films.

by Luthien on Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:45 pm
Has anyone seen the Kenneth Branagh version of Love's Labour's Lost? I've heard the least about this one of all his Shakespeare adaptations, and after seeing a very good live theatre production of the play, I'd like to check it out. I heard something about it being a musical?

He talks about Love's Labour's Lost a bit. I haven't seen it, but apparently it's not good.
Grainne Mhaol
Grainne Mhaol

http://foodcultureinireland.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Lurker Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:25 pm

It's not, but I've never cared for that play anyway. There is a masked dance sequence which makes me think Branagh has a thing about that. There is also one in Dead Again and Much Ado About Nothing.

Wasn't there a version of The Tempest directed by Julie Taymor? Was that any good? I didn't care for Titus, again not my kind of play, but I'd be interested in seeing The Tempest if it is worth it.

Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post  Pop'n'Fresh Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:09 pm

The recent David Tennant/Catherine Tate Much Ado "film" was very good, I've shown it to a bunch of people and they all love it. Though it is a filmed stage play rather than a proper film. My favourite filmed Shakespeare is the Laurence Olivier King Lear, though the video quality isn't the best.

Pop'n'Fresh

Back to top Go down

Post  Agent Sculder Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:17 pm

Lurker wrote:Wasn't there a version of The Tempest directed by Julie Taymor? Was that any good? I didn't care for Titus, again not my kind of play, but I'd be interested in seeing The Tempest if it is worth it.

Julie Taymor's version of The Tempest is quite interesting. She reverses the gender of a couple of the roles in the play, but I'm certainly not going to complain because Helen Mirren is awesome. Russell Brand is also good in the small role he has, and I was mostly worried he'd be a distraction. And of course, because it's Julie Taymor, the movie is visually stunning.

I happened to like Titus, even though I'm not really a fan of the play. But I admit, I'm a sucker for gorgeous visuals. Oh, and Alan Cumming and Jessica Lange are in it chewing scenery like mad, which for me a reason to like it.

Agent Sculder

Back to top Go down

Post  harvey the penguin Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:19 pm

I haaaaaated Julie Taymor's Tempest, although I would agree that Russell Brand was very good. The whole cast was great, in fact, but the direction was a shambles.

This is TV, but has anyone else been watching The Hollow Crown Henryiad series on the BBC? I thought Richard II was superb, and I quite enjoyed Henry IV Part 1 too. Can't wait for the next two.
harvey the penguin
harvey the penguin

Back to top Go down

Post  Luthien Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:56 am

The recent David Tennant/Catherine Tate Much Ado "film" was very good

Is this something that's available to buy, or watch on YouTube, or found anywhere online? Because I'd love to watch it.

Luthien

Back to top Go down

Post  Gallifrey Girl Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:15 pm

Luthien wrote:
The recent David Tennant/Catherine Tate Much Ado "film" was very good

Is this something that's available to buy, or watch on YouTube, or found anywhere online? Because I'd love to watch it.

You can get it here. I actually bought it when it was released, but decided I wanted to watch it on my TV rather than computer monitor. As that meant digging out a cable of some sort and actually figuring out how to achieve it, it remains unwatched, alas!

Gallifrey Girl

Back to top Go down

Post  rivki8699 Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:34 pm

harvey the penguin wrote:This is TV, but has anyone else been watching The Hollow Crown Henryiad series on the BBC? I thought Richard II was superb, and I quite enjoyed Henry IV Part 1 too. Can't wait for the next two.

Is that showing in the US (or will it be)? Cause my Tumblr has been absolutely taken over by gif walls of Loki as Prince Hal, and some of the commentary makes it sound quite interesting.
rivki8699
rivki8699

Back to top Go down

Post  allochthonous Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:59 pm

rivki8699 wrote:
harvey the penguin wrote:This is TV, but has anyone else been watching The Hollow Crown Henryiad series on the BBC? I thought Richard II was superb, and I quite enjoyed Henry IV Part 1 too. Can't wait for the next two.

Is that showing in the US (or will it be)? Cause my Tumblr has been absolutely taken over by gif walls of Loki as Prince Hal, and some of the commentary makes it sound quite interesting.
Apparently it will be on PBS in early 2013. In the meantime, I think quite a lot of it has ended up on Youtube (if the BBC haven't got to it already).

I really enjoyed both of them, although I thought the religious imagery in Richard II was a little heavy-handed (Jesus OR St Sebastian, Rupert Goold, pick one and one only). Ben Whishaw was tremendous though as Richard, as was Patrick Stewart as John of Gaunt. Henry IV part 1 suffered a bit from the cutting, which made Falstaff more incidental (I love Simon Russell Beale and thought he did a great job, but I would love to see his stage version), but Hiddleston and Jeremy Irons were fantastic, and the final battle was suitably bloody, if a little poorly-attended (but then it wouldn't be a BBC film without a chronic lack of extras). Looking forward to seeing what they do with the next two.
allochthonous
allochthonous

Back to top Go down

Post  Snarryfan Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:56 pm

The entirety of Part One is on Youtube in 9 parts. It has some fantastic performances and has made me want to rewatch My Own Private Idaho in the worst way. Plus Tom Hiddleston does a spot on Jeremy Irons impression.

Snarryfan

Back to top Go down

Post  Dachelle Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:38 pm

I watched the first two parts of The Hollow Crown via the magical fairies that flew it over from the U.K. and somehow put it on my screen, and I thought the BBC did a spectacular job with both of them. The casts were amazing. Obviously Tom Hiddleston was my particular favorite because Hiddles, but I don't think there were any weak links.

Dachelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum