Magic Mike

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Magic Mike

Post  whatthedeuce on Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:25 am

It's really odd that I've always thought Matt Bomer was handsome, but he never really did anything for me. And then the movie started and my first thought was "Where's Bomer? Can he please show up already?" I got all maniacal like some raving drug addict who needed a hit of a drug she didn't know she was addicted to.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  naughty zoot on Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:14 am

From the Boston Globe review:
the shock, as always, is that such a big lummox can move so fast and so well.
Exactly. I guess I need to rent Step Up now.
More Alcide would have been nice. Actually I'm surprised how little of the other guys we really got. Seems like kind of a waste. But McConaughey was perfect.
naughty zoot

Back to top Go down

Post  blooey on Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:29 am

Lily Rose wrote:
PrincessCleo wrote:See, I was going to give him the benefit of the doubt, like maybe he just TOLD the reporter that and it wasn't necessarily a real thing. Like it was Schrodinger's Douchey Tattoo or something. I should have known better.
Like there was any way it wasn't real, and any way he wasn't posing topless hoping someone would see it and ask about it.

A couple posters on ONTD said at the time that the actual tattoo was just his name. They thought he was just trolling the reporter. But that makes him appear even more stupid because... you need to tattoo your name above your crotch? Really? And he should also have know that, since the tattoo isn't in English and everyone already thinks he's a douche anyway, that quote was going to follow him around for a while.

My brother is staying with me this weekend so I haven't had a chance to go see this yet, and it is killing me. I'm sad to hear that there's not as much stripping as was advertised, but hopefully it'll all show up on the DVD.

blooey

Back to top Go down

Post  blooey on Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:30 am

Lily Rose wrote:
PrincessCleo wrote:See, I was going to give him the benefit of the doubt, like maybe he just TOLD the reporter that and it wasn't necessarily a real thing. Like it was Schrodinger's Douchey Tattoo or something. I should have known better.
Like there was any way it wasn't real, and any way he wasn't posing topless hoping someone would see it and ask about it.

A couple posters on ONTD said at the time that the actual tattoo was just his name. They thought he was just trolling the reporter. But that makes him appear even more stupid because... you need to tattoo your name above your crotch? Really? And he should also have know that, since the tattoo isn't in English and everyone already thinks he's a douche anyway, that quote was going to follow him around for a while.

My brother is staying with me this weekend so I haven't had a chance to go see this yet, and it is killing me. I don't normally go for pretty-boy types, but I have a burning need to see Matt Bomer wiggle his hips on stage. I'm sad to hear that there's not as much stripping as was advertised, but hopefully it'll all show up on the DVD.

blooey

Back to top Go down

Post  MtOlivePickles on Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:51 pm

whatthedeuce wrote:It's really odd that I've always thought Matt Bomer was handsome, but he never really did anything for me. And then the movie started and my first thought was "Where's Bomer? Can he please show up already?" I got all maniacal like some raving drug addict who needed a hit of a drug she didn't know she was addicted to.

My biggest complaint coming out of it was that there was not nearly enough of his ass in that movie.

MtOlivePickles

Back to top Go down

Post  Putli Bai on Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:57 pm

Guys. Guys... I saw Magic Mike this afternoon, and then wrote the sequel in the car on the way home.

Ok so, Mike decides his REAL dream is to dance on Broadway, you know, so he moves to The Big Apple during a plucky montage, dragging sourface Brooke along with him. Yeah, he's a little old than the other wannabes, but he's a little wiser too, and he has that special something, you know? So this almost washed up director is casting for the play that's either gonna ruin him or be his big comeback, and he sees that something special in ol'Magic Mike. Well, the diva dancer chick who has the lead role isn't down with appearing with an OMG MALE STRIPPER and throws a temper tantrum and possibly a ballet shoe.

Until they dance the special, sexy, show-stopping sexy dance of love together, and have mad chemistry and everyone is all "OOoooo, Magic Mike, you're the man!" And he says, "I don't go by that name anymore. My name is Michael." And everyone is all happy except sourface Brooke, who is harping on him because he hasn't become an accountant yet.

So, rehearsals are going good, early reviews are glowing, but oh no, what's this? Mike is walking home from the theater one night when he passes this horrible little dive of a male strip club. He looks at the posters, shakes his head, and starts to walk away. But wait, one of those guys looks familiar. Could it be...?

Mike goes into the club, and sure enough, there's his little friend Adam, wearing nothing but a bow tie and a thousand yard stare, shaking it for a few sad lost grannies who aren't even paying attention. Adam is even crying a little, but do the grannies care? They do not. Mike waits for him outside the strip club and asks "what happened, man?"

Things didn't go as planned. The club wasn't the big success Dallas though it would be, and now he's in danger of losing it to scary men with guns. And Adam, he came looking for Mike, and when he couldn't find him, he had to take this job and is sleeping in his shiny new truck that he totally could have sold during the first movie when he needed money.

Magic Mike has to choose. Does he stay and become a huge star on Broadway, or jet down to Miami and save the club? It's barely a question. He ditches sourface Brooke and the Dancing Diva, and he and Adam jump in the shiny new truck and head for Miami like the bros they are. They find Dallas sitting in the empty club, staring at his mortgage and drinking generic vodka. He looks up and sees Mike in the doorway. Tears of gratitude well up in his eyes. By God, they're gonna get the band back together and they're gonna put on a show the likes of which Miami has never seen. Magic Mike is the star of the show, and the money stuffed into his jock strap over the course of just one song is enough to get the club back in the blank. Even the scary men with guns think Mike is a God among men.

There's a lot of male-hugging, backslapping, and "love ya, bro-ing" going on, and then Mike calls sourface Brooke in New York and tells her to stuff it.

The End.
Putli Bai

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person on Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:50 am

I AM DYING HEEE. (I feel privileged to share a board with such funny people. Also, I am drinking, so everything is TWICE as funny.)

Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  Cutebutpsycho on Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:09 am

I would see that. No lie.
Cutebutpsycho

Back to top Go down

Post  ActonBell on Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:07 am

Putli Bai, that is amazing! Would definitely watch.
ActonBell

Back to top Go down

Post  naughty zoot on Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:55 am

naughty zoot

Back to top Go down

Post  TiffanyNichelle on Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:38 pm

I saw this last night. It could have used a lot more stripping and a lot less of Cody Horn's sourpuss. I understood that she had the crappy position of being the straight man here, the one looking in and going "this lifestyle sucks" but damn she was always giving bitchface in every scene. I hated the ending. Mike may not have had the best plan but at least he had one, now he's out a bunch of money, his house is jacked up, and he doesn't have a job. Let's get breakfast, whoo!

Matthew being so slimy and weird was the best part of the movie,
TiffanyNichelle

Back to top Go down

Post  truecrystal on Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:33 pm

a lot less of Cody Horn's sourpuss

I have not been so turned off by an actress in a long time. She was HORRIBLE--bitchface, bad acting and a general joylessness that was pervasive in every single one of her scenes, including the ones where she was supposed to be happy and flirty. Ugh.

Otherwise, I thoroughly enjoyed this. Channing Tatum Channing was amazing and so charismatic I could not take my eyes off him. I feel justification for owning all of the Step Up movies now (even though he wasn't even in the last one but I am a completist). He was so obviously the only dancer/stripper of the group because while they were all pretty, Bomer, Mangiello and the Rodriguez really should have just stood there, oiled up and muscly. They? Could. Not. Dance. Also, I may be in the minority but I find Alex Pettyfer so generic as to be completely forgettable and I spent half the movie wanting to smack him which may have been the point of the character but still. McConawhoey was born to play Dallas and managed to make me laugh and roll my eyes, sometimes at the same time.

It wasn't groundbreaking filmmaking or screenwriting by any stretch of the imagination, but I do think it did a good job of capturing how easy breezy fun that life would be until it isn't. I also liked the titillation of the editing. Every time you thought you'd get to see the goods, there was a cut to another scene which left a lot of ladies in my theater hilariously frustrated.

truecrystal

Back to top Go down

Post  ActonBell on Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:07 pm

I have not been so turned off by an actress in a long time. She was HORRIBLE--bitchface, bad acting and a general joylessness that was pervasive in every single one of her scenes, including the ones where she was supposed to be happy and flirty. Ugh.

Exactly. In some scenes her scowling and hostility made sense, but even in the lighter moments she was so humorless and dour. This is one of those instances where casting has a big effect on the movie, because it was so difficult to understand exactly what Mike sees in her or why he'd be willing to give up his savings or career for her benefit.

Last edited by ActonBell on Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
ActonBell

Back to top Go down

Post  Arabella on Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:15 pm

Cody Horn is the daughter of Alan Horn, the former president of Warner Bros and Magic Mike was distributed by...guess who.

Arabella

Back to top Go down

Post  punzy on Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:29 pm

Just saw this with a friend and we pretty much agree with everyone else. The stripping bits were fun and the love interest lady had no reactions. Even when they were doing reaction shots! My friend thought she made Kristen Stewart look animated.

punzy

Back to top Go down

Post  Menshevixen on Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:39 am

I liked Cody Horn's character. I suspect this is because I'm kind of a buzzkill myself, but I like seeing characters like that, who have to do everything themselves and worry about money and are responsible to a fault and refuse to take people's BS. Although the relationship between Brooke and Mike was kind of thin, and goddammit there's no way he's getting that money back. That made me really sad, actually.

But what I really liked was seeing Channing Tatum hanging out in clubs I frequented during college. I have my theories about what breakfast place they were going to at the end. TAMPA I MISS YOU.

Pettyfer strikes me as being exceedingly douchey in real life, so he was kind of perfectly cast. I was sort of hoping that
Spoiler:
Adam would die of that drug overdose, but alas.
Menshevixen

Back to top Go down

Post  ActonBell on Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:08 am

I agree, Pettyfer's douchey-ness works perfectly for this role.
ActonBell

Back to top Go down

Post  puddingcup on Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:01 am

IMDB says Cody Horn was in 3 episodes of the Office as Jordan Garfield. Even though I've seen the three episodes, I can't remember the character at all. Was she just a random receptionist or something? This role is a big step up from that.

puddingcup

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:51 am

I think Cody Horn was actually pretty good in playing the buzzkill character, but her face scared me cuz it was Just. So. Sour. I thought Mike might not make it out of the movie alive cuz if looks could kill, he'd have been a goner!

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Snarryfan on Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:50 pm

I saw this last night. It is the first film in a long time where I felt there was too much plot and character development. I kept thinking of the line from Angel: "You is talky meat!" I just felt that it was trying too hard during the scenes not at the club and I just couldn't care about The Kid or his one note sister.

Snarryfan

Back to top Go down

Post  Skyblade on Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:36 pm

Cody Horn was Will Ferrell's assistant who was there to show that he wasn't sexist or something even though she had a guy's name and was rather hot. I think there were threads to give her a crush on Jim (Which I guess transferred to a new character who was dropped with similar unceromoniousness), but someone said she was going to be a love interest for Creed? Anyways I never too her to have bitchface so much as "People talked me into acting and I even I don't think I'm very good at it"face.

Anyways. The movie's apparently getting a bit of a Drive-like backlash from audiences who were expecting a different movie. Which, come on, has that ever been a movie about stripping that was just about stripping? That was released in theaters, anyways.

Skyblade

Back to top Go down

Post  Shalamar on Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:27 am

Not enough Alcide. My eyes were glued to him whenever he was onscreen, even though -sob - he had to wax his chest for the role. And I continue to think that Matt Bomer is an alien, because no human should be that gorgeous.

I went in feeling kinda "meh" about Channing, although I enjoyed him a lot in "21 Jump Street". I came out going "Ohhhh, I get his appeal now.". He's charming, funny, charismatic, and holy SHIT can he move.
Shalamar

Back to top Go down

Post  oxymoron on Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:45 am

Anyways. The movie's apparently getting a bit of a Drive-like backlash from audiences who were expecting a different movie. Which, come on, has that ever been a movie about stripping that was just about stripping? That was released in theaters, anyways.

Actually my issues with the movie:

1) The movie didn't know what movie it wanted to be. Did it want to be a rom com? (Not bloody likely with those charisma free leads) Did it want to be a look into the world of stripping? Did it want to be about a guy and his dreams? So, for me, it didn't actually succeed at any of them.

2) Could the female lead have been more unpleasant? IT was like she was allergic to smiling.

3) I just don't think that Channing Tatum is a good actor. Dancer? Sure. Actor? No.

4) Other than for the extra hot manflesh (not that this is a bad thing), what was the point of having the other male strippers there? From a storytelling standpoint, they served no purpose.

IT was a fun movie to look at (well, during the stripping scenes), but it was not a good movie.

oxymoron

Back to top Go down

Post  Shalamar on Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:33 am

Could the female lead have been more unpleasant? IT was like she was allergic to smiling.

Ugh, I know. There was a scene in which Mike was stripping, and they kept cutting from him looking like he was having a great time to whatserface scowling stoney-faced at the stage as if she was watching an execution.
Shalamar

Back to top Go down

Post  mayram on Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:51 pm

Saw this yesterday and liked it. Cody Horn actually didn't bother me that much, probably because I went into it expecting worse.

This is the first movie I've seen Channing Tatum in since discovering that hilarious Esquire profile of him so I was predisposed to like him this time around. Also, he clearly didn't have to do a ton of actual acting since most of the stuff in the movie is either stuff he actually did or probably WOULD do so his character was believable and funny.

Pettyfer strikes me as being exceedingly douchey in real life, so he was kind of perfectly cast.

I'd never heard of this guy before this movie and he creeped me out big time. He has such dead eyes and seems so removed from any kind of actual emotion, I just felt uncomfortable watching him. It worked perfectly for the role, but it was creepy nonetheless.

Matthew McConaughey was excellent and looked like he was having the time of his life, so that was fun to watch.

mayram

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top