Magic Mike

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Magic Mike

Post  Kiran on Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:01 pm

I agree that Pettyfer was pretty good, probably because hes the character in real life. I really liked the scenes with all the guys, they had an interesting interplay and I actually liked the movie. Which I was surprised by. It was also funnier then I thought it would be. I just wish they had a different female lead because a surprising amount hinged on her peformance I thought and she was so bad. Like I got the feeling when she was watching Mike's performance she was supposed to be turned on despite herself, hence the long cuts back to her but...she looked just as deadfaced as she did when she was supposed to be staring in judgement.

I think Matthew McConaughey was the best thing and I could actually, with the year hes having, see him get an oscar nom for this, since they love showy supporting parts and he kinda killed it.

I think my audience also made the experience for me. I was with 5 girls and the theatre was packed and interactive. ALTHOUGH. Some lady brought her baby. I was like oh honey. Are you that hard up that even the lack of babysitter won't stop you? Also its not REAL ASS. Alcide from True Blood is not going to come at you Captain EO style.

I was also ecstatic they used Ginuwine's seminal hit Pony (Ride it). A male stripper movie wouldn't be complete without it.
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  Snarryfan on Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:13 pm

Also its not REAL ASS. Alcide from True Blood is not going to come at you Captain EO style.

Why was this movie not in 3D? Because I would have paid the upgrade.

Also, Kiran, points for the Captain EO reference. I almost spit coffee here at work.

Snarryfan

Back to top Go down

Post  Shalamar on Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:04 pm

I think Matthew McConaughey was the best thing and I could actually, with the year hes having, see him get an oscar nom for this, since they love showy supporting parts and he kinda killed it.

I was thinking the same thing! If Burt Reynolds could be nominated for Boogie Nights, Matthew stands an excellent chance.
Shalamar

Back to top Go down

Post  Miss Moneypenny on Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:06 pm

Snarryfan wrote:
Also its not REAL ASS. Alcide from True Blood is not going to come at you Captain EO style.

Why was this movie not in 3D? Because I would have paid the upgrade.

Also, Kiran, points for the Captain EO reference. I almost spit coffee here at work.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: If Chris Evans' ass could be in 3D for The Avengers, there is no reason we couldn't have gotten 3D asses here as well. (Seeing this tomorrow, finally, YAY.)
Miss Moneypenny

http://daisyrazor.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Raksha on Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:37 pm

Channing Tatum confirms sequel. They need to hire Putli Bai to write it immediately! Because I would see that in the theater, then buy it on DVD the day it came out.
Raksha

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:43 pm

Whoa, there's one movie I never could've imagined would get a sequel!

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Shalamar on Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:26 am

Hooray for sequel! I just hope it's better than Staying Alive.
Shalamar

Back to top Go down

Post  punzy on Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:41 pm

Hmmm, movie about the making of a musical based on the movie about Magic Mike's life? It could be super meta!

punzy

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:55 pm

The way you wrote that, it sounds kinda like Inception with male strippers. So many levels of meta!

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Poubelle on Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:43 am

I saw the words "Inception with male strippers" and suddenly had this vision of Joseph Gordon-Levitt stripping. Thank you!
Poubelle

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:21 am

I love JGL but am cringing just thinking oh him trying to strip. He would be so godawful at it!

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis on Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:36 am

I thought this would be a lot raunchier than it was. Boo. Matthew McC was good. The scene where Adam and Mike got effed up on drugs and had a lot of sex went on way too long, it's like, I get. Overall, I liked it though, even though it was pretty weird.

Last edited by ulkis on Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:40 am; edited 1 time in total

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis on Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:38 am

Skyblade wrote:Cody Horn was Will Ferrell's assistant who was there to show that he wasn't sexist or something even though she had a guy's name and was rather hot. I think there were threads to give her a crush on Jim (Which I guess transferred to a new character who was dropped with similar unceromoniousness), but someone said she was going to be a love interest for Creed? Anyways I never too her to have bitchface so much as "People talked me into acting and I even I don't think I'm very good at it"face.

Anyways. The movie's apparently getting a bit of a Drive-like backlash from audiences who were expecting a different movie. Which, come on, has that ever been a movie about stripping that was just about stripping? That was released in theaters, anyways.

I dunno . . . the people I was with gave me the impression it was a comedy about stripping, not the movie itself (I don't think I saw one commercial for it, actually). But like I said, I still liked it.

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  epudom on Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:53 am

Saw this yesterday, and Channing Tatum really needs to dance topless in more, if not all, of his films. Like everyone else, I agree that Cody Horn was awful; she was so bad she made Andie MacDowall in Four Weddings and a Funeral look like Streep. Ugh.

From a plot perspective (aside from wanting more stripping!), Mike's motivations didn't make much sense to me. He kept on talking about how much he wanted to be a furniture maker or whatever, and how he was only stripping because of that, but then when he was talking about how much he had saved and said it was $17k, I thought, "really? You've been doing this for 6 years and that is all you've managed to put away - less than $3k a year from this part time gig? Are all your other business ventures that bad? No wonder the bank don't want to give you a loan"

Maybe if he didn't insist on living in a huge ass house on the beach, he might've saved more and be closer to his alleged dream.
epudom

Back to top Go down

Post  naughty zoot on Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:20 am

But wasn't that the point? He's working all these jobs, but he's also partying it up and not really dealing with life as a responsible adult.
naughty zoot

Back to top Go down

Post  vwlphb on Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:19 pm

Shalamar wrote:
Could the female lead have been more unpleasant? IT was like she was allergic to smiling.

Ugh, I know. There was a scene in which Mike was stripping, and they kept cutting from him looking like he was having a great time to whatserface scowling stoney-faced at the stage as if she was watching an execution.

I definitely don't think she was well served by the direction/editing. They would have really long reaction shots of her where her face didn't move at all. I was like, okay, so she's staring and...becoming more annoyed? becoming reluctantly amused? having any emotion at all? But no, her face didn't change from neutral with a hint of bitchface.

vwlphb

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:31 pm

I was so confused by that scene! I couldn't tell if she was somewhat awed by him or not.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis on Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:07 pm

but then when he was talking about how much he had saved and said it was $17k, I thought, "really? You've been doing this for 6 years and that is all you've managed to put away - less than $3k a year from this part time gig? Are all your other business ventures that bad? No wonder the bank don't want to give you a loan"

I foudn that scene where he was berating the lady at the bank awkward and weird. Like, sheesh dude, lay off her.

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  Matinee on Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:17 pm

Was I supposed to be happy with the ending where Magic Mike lost $10,000 to save his punk friend and then quite his apparently only high-paying job while his punk friend had no repercussions (well, except the overdose he quickly recovered from) AND became the new star? Because that ending was unsatisfying. I know his winning of Sour-face McGee was supposed to be the happy ending but I didn't even care about that. I wanted him to get his dream furniture making company, dammit!! Poor Magic Mike. Ah well, there's always the sequel.

He definitely should have saved more but that house WAS really sweet...

Did not care one way or another about Tatum before the movie, but he was quite charming in it!

Matinee

Back to top Go down

Post  epudom on Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:22 pm

The only pleasure I took from the ending was that his friend was so dumb and irresponsible that he'd probably be dead (from drug overdose/criminal activities/pissed off husband) within 6 months. And then Mike could sell the car and get some money back. And then break up with Sour Face.
epudom

Back to top Go down

Post  Binky on Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:57 am

I saw this tonight and thought it was more silly than remotely hot.

There should have been more Joe Manganiello.

Also, Cody Horn is a terrible, terrible actress. The movie screeched to a halt every time she was on screen and I have NO idea what emotion she was supposed to be conveying. I haven't seen very much of Channing Tatum's work, so I don't know if he's terrible too, and they were just giving him a level playing field. But she was awful.
Binky

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis on Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:49 pm

The only pleasure I took from the ending was that his friend was so dumb and irresponsible that he'd probably be dead (from drug overdose/criminal activities/pissed off husband) within 6 months.

Yeah, that's what I took from it too. There's no way that dude is gonna do anything but mess it up.

I think the writing was decent enough to overcome the fact that Cody Horn was mediocre. I don't even know if she sucks that much, I just think that's the way her mouth is. If I had to choose though I woulda gone with another actress though.

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  Shalamar on Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:51 pm

Uh ... I may have just pre-ordered this on blu-ray. Don't judge me!
Shalamar

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:53 pm

Three months after seeing the movie, I'm still feeling despondent over the utter lack of Bomer in that movie.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran on Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:55 pm

Utter lack? I mean I will never not ask for more Bomer but he was present throughout I thought.
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top