Tom Cruise

Go down

Tom Cruise Empty Tom Cruise

Post  Crowbridge on Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:39 pm

We have a thread about the ex-Mrs. Tom Cruise, so why not one about the man himself?

My general opinion of the guy: I think he means well, and I think he truly believes he is doing good in the world, but let's face it, he has some deep insecurities, AND he is catastrophically clueless. I just read the People article about TomKat's breakup, and an old friend of theirs said he would buy Katie a present every day- like roses, or a handbag- and present it to her with the words, "I love you, my loving wife." I don't know if that's true, but it sounds like something he would do. I think Tom's fear of dying alone inspired his grand romantic gestures more than Katie herself. I think he did love her and care about her in his own way, but that she could have been anyone.

Aside from that, I think he is a good entertainer who is lots of fun to watch. He's just, you know, crazy in real life. VERY crazy.

Crowbridge

Back to top Go down

Tom Cruise Empty Re: Tom Cruise

Post  ActonBell on Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:09 pm

To me there's this almost sinister undercurrent of violence/hostility in everything he does. You can see it especially in the Matt Lauer interview, but really it pops up in almost every interview. The "intensity" he projects seems like it comes from a deep-seated anger.
ActonBell
ActonBell

Back to top Go down

Post  sagitare on Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:17 pm

Crowbridge wrote:I just read the People article about TomKat's breakup, and an old friend of theirs said he would buy Katie a present every day- like roses, or a handbag- and present it to her with the words, "I love you, my loving wife." I don't know if that's true, but it sounds like something he would do.
Doesn't this go along with some Scieno technique that has the person touching something and repeating it's name over and over? I can't remember the specifics but I know it's along those lines.

That quote actually highlights my belief that Cruise is basically acting 24/7 now because he is so lost in himself that he can't experience actual genuine emotion or feelings, nor can he connect with another human being. This repetitive practice is like some horrible surrogate for being loving towards the person you married. It's as close as he can get to it.

I also agree with ActonBell on his anger issues. I think his self-loathing runs very, very deep.

Last edited by sagitare on Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
sagitare
sagitare

Back to top Go down

Post  Crowbridge on Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:18 pm

ActonBell wrote:To me there's this almost sinister undercurrent of violence/hostility in everything he does. You can see it especially in the Matt Lauer interview, but really it pops up in almost every interview. The "intensity" he projects seems like it comes from a deep-seated anger.
True. If those insecurities are deep, they're also raging.

Crowbridge

Back to top Go down

Post  Cynara on Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:47 pm

Definitely. Like, remember when Magnolia came out, and everyone said "Wow, he was AMAZING!" (which, at the time, I agreed with) and then the chinks in the armor started to appear around the Nicole divorce and it was all downhill from there and everyone realized he maybe wasn't acting, in the strictest sense of the word? Yeah.

Annoyingly, I still enjoy him on screen. I just watched MI: Ghost Protocol and thought he was awesome. He climbed the Burj Khalifa. Goddamn, son.

Cynara

Back to top Go down

Post  Esseilte on Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:10 pm

I'm sort of torn on him. I love to watch him onscreen. I'd like to meet him. But I wouldn't want to be his friend, or be in any kind of relationship with him, because I think he has issues that he'll probably never fully resolve.

Katie Holmes, on the other hand, is probably a much nicer person, but while I wish her well in her personal life I hope to never have to see her onscreen again because she's just terrible. Still haven't forgiven her for Batman Begins.
Esseilte
Esseilte

Back to top Go down

Post  bookworm on Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:11 am

For those of you who picked Day 20 for the first Tom Cruise's Private Pain headline, please collect your interwebs as you leave the show.
bookworm
bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post  TiffanyNichelle on Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:18 am

Heh, I was just telling a co-worker the way this all went down so quickly was going to work out better for them instead of dragging it out or both TomKat announcing "meh, we're divorcing." This way Katie gets the "yay, she's free of the crazy cult" edit, Tom also gets some sympathy because he was "blindsided."
TiffanyNichelle
TiffanyNichelle

Back to top Go down

Post  mandalaya on Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:49 pm

For those of you who picked Day 20 for the first Tom Cruise's Private Pain headline, please collect your interwebs as you leave the show.

Yeah, that was clearly going to be the spin his team took. I keep meaning to mention: Us Weekly had a two-page feature just a month or less before Katie's escape that was titled "Everyone Loves Tom!" and gave stories about why various celebs think he's awesomesauce. For example: apparently Cruise still gives bday gifts to Cuba Gooding Jr's kids every year, which does seem exceptionally thoughtful although also almost creepy, and really it's his assistant who is keeping track of that...but he does pay for it. Anyway, it smelled so damage-control-y that I went and poked around a little online to see if there was a nascent scandal, but there was nothing. Once Katie filed, I had to wonder whether they (and I say "they" because Cruise is obviously a full team effort) had more advance notice than they're playing it, and were trying to pump up his image a bit before the fall. But it was probably just (weird IMO) publicity for Rock Star.
mandalaya
mandalaya

Back to top Go down

Post  Crowbridge on Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:54 pm

Every time I feel sympathy for his being "blindsided", I remind myself that he did that same thing to Nicole Kidman...while she was pregnant, no less. I guess he thought it would never happen to him.

Crowbridge

Back to top Go down

Post  LadyGayle on Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:59 pm

I do the same, Crowbridge. And someone correct me if I'm misremembering, but wasn't it Tom and his team who circulated those rumors that the child Nicole miscarried wasn't his?

LadyGayle

Back to top Go down

Post  Matinee on Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:00 pm

Esseilte wrote:I'm sort of torn on him. I love to watch him onscreen. I'd like to meet him. But I wouldn't want to be his friend, or be in any kind of relationship with him, because I think he has issues that he'll probably never fully resolve.

Katie Holmes, on the other hand, is probably a much nicer person, but while I wish her well in her personal life I hope to never have to see her onscreen again because she's just terrible. Still haven't forgiven her for Batman Begins.

I completely agree with this statement. Except that I don't know if I'd like to meet him, but he does a damn good job in an action movie. Katie just bores/irritates me when she acts.

Last edited by Matinee on Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

Matinee

Back to top Go down

Post  themis on Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:32 pm

Cynara wrote:I just watched MI: Ghost Protocol and thought he was awesome. He climbed the Burj Khalifa. Goddamn, son.
As much as I have hated him for decades, I give him mad credit for working hard. He worked so hard that whole movie. So much running. I kept thinking, 'damn, he's FIFTY,' and 'I would rather the whole world blow up than have to sprint that much/drive off that overpass!'

I have never been able to stand his persona or, really, him onscreen, since the days of The Tooth. Also after his claiming that since he is soooo awesome at general aviation and test piloting that NASA calls him for advice. Ugh- no, they don't! And the whole thing about trying to save Stephen Spielberg from his own wife. How far up your own butt can you really get? Only Tom Cruise knows.

themis

Back to top Go down

Post  bookworm on Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:51 pm

LadyGayle wrote:I do the same, Crowbridge. And someone correct me if I'm misremembering, but wasn't it Tom and his team who circulated those rumors that the child Nicole miscarried wasn't his?

I think is was more that he claimed they separated before their 10 year anniversary, and she announced she had miscarried. proving they had sex after their 10th anniversary.
bookworm
bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post  Jude on Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:09 pm

Didn't he perform several miraculous rescues around that time as well? After Nicole, I mean? I kind of remember a period when it seemed as though every other day he just happened to conveniently be there when someone's life needed saving.

Jude

Back to top Go down

Post  Francie Nolan on Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:41 pm

[quote="mandalaya"]
I keep meaning to mention: Us Weekly had a two-page feature just a month or less before Katie's escape that was titled "Everyone Loves Tom!" and gave stories about why various celebs think he's awesomesauce. For example: apparently Cruise still gives bday gifts to Cuba Gooding Jr's kids every year, which does seem exceptionally thoughtful although also almost creepy, and really it's his assistant who is keeping track of that...but he does pay for it.

I feel like that is so quintessentially Tom Cruise. When I watch him give an interview, especially at the time of the couch-jumping era, he reminds me of an alien who is trying so hard to do things as humans would. He really just wants to fit in, and if he does everything with 110% effort, then maybe we'll be convinced that he's a real boy. So Tom Cruise is not going to just remember the birthday of his co-star from 15 years ago. Oh no. He's going to remember his co-star's kids' birthdays, too, and he's going to send them gifts every year. Just like the story of him giving Katie expensive gifts every single damn day. Husbands give wives gifts, therefore giving wives gifts every day must be even better!

Francie Nolan

Back to top Go down

Post  biakbiak on Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:43 pm

Tiny doesn't just litigate when he is called gay, he also sues when people say he has abandoned his daughter.
biakbiak
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie on Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:56 pm

Ah there is nothing to affirm ones Scientology beliefs like a good lawsuit.

blixie
Mod Squad

http://thesnarkening.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person on Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:14 am

Tom Cruise, Nicole Kidman, Eyes Wide Shut

It's a great analysis of Cruise and the movie (and maybe of the Cruise/Kidman relationship, but who knows?).
For it turns out that Eyes Wide Shut has almost nothing to say about its ostensible topic—marital fidelity—but it has a great deal to say about Tom Cruise. It might even be that the key to Eyes Wide Shut is not lurking in a coded image appearing only for a split second, but rather in the entire world-famous corpus of Tom Cruise’s acting work. But this would ruin our idea of Eyes Wide Shut as a claustrophobic world unto itself.
Over the past decade, Cruise has subsequently lost all control of his persona, owing to a certain incident on Oprah Winfrey’s couch, an ugly spat with Brooke Shields, and the bizarre and unsavory involvement of the Church of Scientology in his marriage to Katie Holmes and in their child. I am personally disappointed with myself that I can name that child.

Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  Coneycat on Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:26 pm

biakbiak wrote:Tiny doesn't just litigate when he is called gay, he also sues when people say he has abandoned his daughter.

Honestly, speaking as a person who could not care less whether someone thinks I'm gay-- I would sue the ever-loving fuck out of a publication that ran stories about me abandoning my child. (Note: I do not have a child. Only cats.) (And don't run stories about me abandoning them, either!)

I mean, from a crappy self-interested protecting-my-image point of view, I'd sue. And if I actually loved my kid and had not abandoned her, I would sue TWICE, if only to get across the message that this is the line and you have crossed it.

[Edited to add: I haven't cared about Tom Cruise for about twenty years and find him deeply creepy, but I can sympathize with him on this one. Or maybe I also find him a little pathetic and don't want this to be true.]

Coneycat

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran on Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:25 pm

I would too. Especially since the child is six and could very well see her and her father on a magazine that states he has abandoned her. That is fucked up.

My feeling aside from this on Tom Cruise is I think hes batshit in real life, but still very compelling on screen. More then anything else he makes me sad though. All these scientology books just make him seem like just as much of a victim as everyone involved in that cult.
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  Binky on Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:09 am

I think TC is batshit insane to an extent that I find him completely unwatchable (exception being Tropic Thunder because I think he is basically that character underneath), but I do think he loves his kids. And I think that Suri NOT being a $cientologist is the best chance he has of getting out, because as I understand she's a suppressive now. And I think the challenges of having a relationship with her AND being $cientology's posterchild are only going to worsen as she ages, and I hope it gets him out.
Binky
Binky

Back to top Go down

Post  The Glen on Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:11 pm

I wonder if it was a condition of the divorce that Suri not be used as a publicity tool anymore. I know she's been seen out and about with Katie Holmes being Normal, but it seems to me that it's been done in a controlled way and that appearances are tapering off somewhat. I'd say Tom Cruise is having visitation with Suri, just privately.

The Glen
Mod Squad

Back to top Go down

Post  QueenSix on Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:32 pm

For a kid who was kept under wraps for so long when she was a baby (not that there's anything wrong with that of course), Suri was paraded out and about like no-one's business as she got older. I know that a lot of that has to do with the fact that TC gets followed around a lot and naturally he'd be out places with her, but it did seem a lot of the time as though it were less about them being a family going about their business and her out there more as an accessory when he was having all that bad press or was promoting a flick.

I was going through my box of DVD's the other night looking for something to watch and came across Minority Report, which I hadn't seen in years. So I watched it and it is still good and when Tom Cruise is at his most leading man charismatic, he really brings it. Also, it brought back memories of when Colin Farrell was just that Irish guy who got cast in a Spielberg film and had scenes with Tom Cruise.

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  ActonBell on Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:39 pm

I love that movie. As off-putting as Tom Cruise is in his personal life, I still end up enjoying a lot of his films.
ActonBell
ActonBell

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down