The Marvel Cinematic Universe

Page 22 of 24 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23, 24  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: The Marvel Cinematic Universe

Post  laddical on Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:34 pm

Have they ever explicitly used the word Soviet where she's concerned in the MCU?

And if she was younger than the little Indian girl in Avengers, she would have just made it in before the fall of the Berlin Wall, which gives her a year or so with the KGB, which remained the KGB in culture if not in name even after the Union fell apart.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  Miss Moneypenny on Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:42 pm

I think the most specific they've gotten is the "I'm Russian, or at least I used to be" line in Avengers. They've promised more of her backstory in AoU, which would be nice.
Miss Moneypenny

http://daisyrazor.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Raksha on Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:58 pm

laddical wrote:Nat's hair is like my big sticking point, but not the same way. When they hide out at Sam's, she's gingerly towelling it dry and you can see it starting to kink and wave a little. Then we cut to the dining room and it's dry and perfectly straight.

WHERE DID SHE FIND A FLATIRON IN THE APARTMENT OF A MAN WHO KEEPS HIS HEAD SHAVED?

Maybe he had a girlfriend who left one at his place?
Raksha

Back to top Go down

Post  QueenSix on Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:07 pm

If watching Alias has taught me anything, it's that spies have access to all sorts of hairdressing tricks for when they're out in the field. It's only civilians like us who need the constant back up of hair straighteners.

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames on Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:14 pm

laddical wrote:Have they ever explicitly used the word Soviet where she's concerned in the MCU?

And if she was younger than the little Indian girl in Avengers, she would have just made it in before the fall of the Berlin Wall, which gives her a year or so with the KGB, which remained the KGB in culture if not in name even after the Union fell apart.

Maybe, given her flawless American accent, she's a second-generation sleeper or something. She could totally be Phillip and Elizabeth's third child or something....
RiverThames

http://www.mrmaresca.com

Back to top Go down

Post  BrightEyes on Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:08 pm

Miss Moneypenny wrote:
Red Wolf wrote:So I was just watching Cap 2. This is really shallow, but it's bothering me. Scarlett's MCU hair. Wig or dye? I suspect wig, but I'm not sure. Related, when Steve takes his helmet off, he's got hat hair. It's a nice little realistic touch. And colour aside, Peggy has the most lustrous old-person hair ever. Yeah, I seem to be all about the hair tonight.

Definitely a wig (a really, really bad wig). She was blonde in appearances during filming. Pretty sure it was a wig for IM2, then dyed for Avengers, and a wig again for AoU.

According to the hair scientists at ONTD, her Natalie Rushman hair was ScarJo's own hair dyed, and her Natasha fight-scene hair is a wig.

Natasha's hair is one of my minor sticking points in the MCU. It can be so cute and awesome! And it can be bad. Really bad.

BrightEyes

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Wolf on Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:08 am

Tim Burton doesn't understand superhero movies. It seems he hasn't even seen the Marvel ones. Yes, there is a good chance there will be a bad one. Or perhaps genre fatigue will indeed set in. But the Marvel movies at least, are somewhat more upbeat and have their own tones. He was never even close to an original thought anywhere in this article. Of course, I've seen his Batman. It wasn't pretty and it was barely Batman.

Red Wolf

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames on Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:14 am

Ant-Man Trailer!

I like what I see. I'm not crazy about the lampshading "Ant-Man is a dumb name". Own it, Paul Rudd. OWN IT.
RiverThames

http://www.mrmaresca.com

Back to top Go down

Post  naughty zoot on Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:13 am

I liked "is it too late to change the name?" because, honestly, I thought a movie about a superhero named Ant-Man, played by Paul Rudd, was a parody. I am clearly not up on my comic book heroes.
naughty zoot

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:14 pm

It's that ".... Huh." that sells the whole thing for me, even the lampshading. I'm sure Paul Rudd will own it by the end, but it's so obviously a name from the '60s that I kind of like that they're implying here that it *actually comes from the '60s*.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  rivki8699 on Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:02 pm

I saw the Ant Man trailer and it felt...meh. It looks like such a standard hero movie - here's a mysterious, deep voiced mentor figure telling the hero go prove yourself a hero to your daughter! Apart from the "can we change the name" beat, it just felt like it was taking itself way too seriously.
rivki8699

Back to top Go down

Post  TiffanyNichelle on Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:45 am

TiffanyNichelle

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:01 am

I've been praying for this for a while now, but I have to admit, the idea that Sony will still be the "final say" on creative matters is very worrisome. Since they've had the "final say" on creative matters since the first Sam Raimi movie, and so far that hasn't really done us fans any good.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  Eris Rising on Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:43 am

I doubt that they'll be in any condition to exercise "Final Say" in any serious manner. This is the closest that Sony can get to a sale of the rights without admitting just how badly they've been gutted.
Eris Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Wolf on Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:07 am

Just back from Avengers. It would be better if it were a bit shorter. There was a midcredits scene but not a postcredits scene.

Red Wolf

Back to top Go down

Post  QueenSix on Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:38 am

We went to the midnight screening last night and it was packed. There was a great buzz actually. (My mother did her usual 'oh I have no time for this kind of thing and am a busy woman and don't know who any of these characters are' bit when we walked into the foyer and she said quietly to me 'nerds' when we saw all the people. This is funny because (a) she spent weeks after Captain America 2 demanding I find out the fate of 'Poor Bucky-wucky' as she termed him, (b) she came out of this film saying "it's okay, Thor is going to fix everything, he said so(?), and (c) I distinctly heard her say to Jack this morning, "Let's go into the garden and see if there's a hammer. I bet you could lift it because you're a good boy!" So basically she's full of shit because she nearly lost her life when Oliver Queen fell off that cliff as Arrow went into the winter hiatus last year and I had to listen to her mad theories about how he was coming back. Pray for Mojo, etc).

Anyway, I didn't find it that long and it was very enjoyable. I think I may need to see it again. I know it's not perfect and that people will have things they don't like about it but I thought it was a lot of fun as well as setting things up for the next batch of flicks so I was very happy with it.

I don't want to put any spoilers in here because I don't want to tempt anyone to click them before they see it so we can wait until more people see it.

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  Carrie Ann on Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:23 pm

Oh my God, QueenSix, that made me LOL. The movie is bound to be a disappointment now because it could never live up to my idea of what seeing it with your mother would be like.
Carrie Ann

Back to top Go down

Post  QueenSix on Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:16 pm

Oh, I didn't tell you the best bit: she made us wait through the entire end credits 'just in case' there was an end credit scene. Despite me telling her before we went to it and as soon as the credits began in earnest, that there was nothing. She wanted to know how I knew. I said, the director and producer said so. Liars, she scoffed and she sat back in her seat. In fairness, nobody else left the screen either despite it being almost 2.30am. Then when nothing came up, she said to me "So how long do I have to wait for Thor to fix things?"

The problem with being an only child is I have to handle all this crazy on my own.

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  Grainne Mhaol on Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:47 am

I saw Avengers at the weekend and really, really did not care for it. I'm no more than a casual Marvel viewer but the first one was such a breath of fresh air amongst the dark and depressing world that comic book movies had become. This one was a grim, humourless experience more reminiscent of Man of Steel than Avengers.

To get it out of the way, I liked Ultron. I wanted more Ultron - and Andy Serkis. Other than that, it was hard to find elements of the film that I enjoyed.

The plot was such a direct repetition of the first movie that it screamed sequel pandering. The bad guy, once again, needs to divide the Avengers, forcing them to band together in order to win. I was amazed to discover at the end that Joss Whedon had again written and directed it as it seemed so rote.

The addition of so many new characters made it impossible for the characters we know and love to get any kind of satisfying emotional arc. Tony Stark went on a deeply troublesome path and I was sure he'd get his comeuppance, but in the end his monomaniacal actions are depicted as being right and necessary. Captain America's big revelation was so bland that they could (and probably should) have left it out. Hawkeye's story only seemed to be there to set up a red-herring that admittedly provided one of the films only truly touching moments.

The seizure-inducing, computer game action scenes were interspersed with endless scenes of people standing around talking about their feelings. There also seemed to be a disturbingly unironic Team America World Police vibe and a surprisingly pro-militaristic slant that I was not expecting from Whedon. The visuals and special affects were flawless, but it was such a drag to watch that it's hard to recommend it.
Grainne Mhaol

http://foodcultureinireland.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Wolf on Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:14 am

I honestly can't remember any revelation about Cap, but I agree about Tony.

Red Wolf

Back to top Go down

Post  MichiSichi on Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:58 pm

I loved the script actually made me laugh and felt it was joss whedon there - banksy references, fury etc made me forget that the plot was a bit thin. And although their is a mid credit  scene Joss was right no end credit ...and the mid one I guessed due to the nature of the film - I wish I cam here first and not listen to friends who don't understand the dif between mid and end.

Also is the Vision from the comics?
MichiSichi

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:55 am

Yes, he starts out as an Ultron plot to kill his creator Hank Pym. Turns good, marries Scarlet Witcb, messy end to that, dies, gets rebuilt but it's not the original program so the Vision in the books now is not the one that married Wanda and... COMICS!!!!!
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  MichiSichi on Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:49 am

Yeah I remember him and the scarlet witch but I guess I was confused by the Jarvis thing.
Watching the original avengers I love how they took the whole SNL joke of Hawkeye basically being useless and ran with it
MichiSichi

Back to top Go down

Post  BrightEyes on Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:43 pm

I just got back and I liked it a lot!

It was too Whedon-y and quippy (all the characters shouldn't talk like Tony Stark) and I thought Black Widow was SO OOC it was ridiculous. I know they had to do re-writes because of Scarlett's pregnancy, but making her all but bat her eyelashes? Ugh.

But I loved the team dynamics and the integration of these characters into the larger MCU (Falcon and War Machine, Thanos, mention of the four Infinity Stones that have "recently" been found).

And
Spoiler:
Clint's super secret hidey hole where he stashed his wife and kids? Okaaaaaay. It would be nice if there had been setup (any setup at all) to support that in the previous movies.

Apparently I was the only English major in the crowd because I was the only one who laughed at the Eugene O'Neill joke.

BrightEyes

Back to top Go down

Post  MichiSichi on Fri May 01, 2015 12:15 am

Ha! Me too, but then again I was watching in Israel so it makes sense
MichiSichi

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 22 of 24 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23, 24  Next