CIVIL WAR TRAILER.

Team Cap, obviously.

BrightEyes

Back to top Go down

Re: The Marvel Cinematic Universe

Post  Putli Bai on Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:51 am

BrightEyes wrote:CIVIL WAR TRAILER.

Team Cap, obviously.

I do not like to see my imaginary superhero Avenger friends fighting with each other.
Putli Bai

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:30 pm

As long as Tony doesn't go full-fascist, I'm hoping that the movie gives him a stronger argument than the comics did. And it looks like they do, what with him bearing the guilt for Sokovia. It gives him a personal stake in maintaining the Accords that he didn't have in the comics. And there's a world of difference between "the Avengers need to be accountable to someone" and "we need to register everyone who's 'different' and know where they are and what they're doing at all times." So, yeah... Team Cap if the Accords lean really heavily into the latter (and with General Ross as the US SecState, I'm sure they do). But if it's just a difference of opinion about degrees of oversight of Cap's team, that's something different and I'd probably go Team Tony. Cap may have gotten burned when SHIELD fell, but he still has to know that one man with great power unilaterally without checks and balances is not the American Ideal he's supposed to represent.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  The Dude on Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:38 pm

Deadpool anyone?

I loved it. Nice bit of a genre twist for an origin story.

However,I wish marketing had more faith in the audience and not shown so much of the movie in the previews.
The Dude

Back to top Go down

Post  bookworm on Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:41 pm

It was amusing with all the pop culture jokes, but the humor was really immature. I guess that immaturity is a part of the character, but after a while I felt like everything was geared towards frat bros. Will totally watch a sequel is Cable is in it.
bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Sat Mar 05, 2016 5:09 am

(Not a mod, but...) It belongs in the X-Men movies thread, it's not MCU.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  The Dude on Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:08 pm

Someone has mixed an Amazing Spider-Man in with the Peter Parker: The Spectacular Spider-Man series. This will not stand.
The Dude

Back to top Go down

Post  QueenSix on Mon May 02, 2016 3:29 pm

I would have posted before this but I was in a wi-fi and limited 4G coverage area for the weekend (oh the humanity!) but I went to see Captain America: Civil War at a midnight screening on Thursday night/Friday night and it was SO GOOD!

I read the graphic novel and I know that there are people out there who know more about the comic book universe than I do and may have issues with it, but I think they worked out the changes from the comic very well so that you get a good sense of what they'd be at each others throats. There's some great humour in there as well as some Uh-Oh moments.

And while I was one who side eyed the announcement of a new Peter Parker and that he was going to be shoehorned into this for some reason, but they make it work. He makes an interesting addition and they handle the character very well. Certainly Tom Holland was excellent and if they keep that kind of a tone for the character and the Spiderman movie, it should work very well.

Bucky Barnes was giving me some Eliot from Leverage vibes with the hair and the "oh I'm great at kicking ass but I have things in my past that keep me awake at night, also I'm quite humorous in my own way", which is not a bad thing at all because I loved Eliot in Leverage.

...I think I may need to see this again actually.

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  Bad Username on Tue May 03, 2016 2:12 am

I also just watched Civil War and really enjoyed it. It is long though, so don't go in well hydrated! There's also a mid-credits and a post-credits scene. It occurred to me while I was watching it that the three Captain America movies have basically been love stories, about the love between Steve and Bucky, and the factors that keep them apart. With a few tweaks they'd be great rom-coms.

The fight scenes were good, but still a bit shaky for my liking - as in, filmed in shaky cam. It wasn't as bad as, say, Cloverfield, but enough that I got a bit of a headache. Black Panther was amazing (sidenote: Ta-Nehisi Coates is writing the new Black Panther comics. I haven't read any of them yet, but he's a great writer, so I plan on getting on that soon).

Spoiler:
I feel like the whole 'third party bad guy engineered this fight between us', here and in Batman vs Superman, could have been avoided with better communication

Bad Username

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Fri May 06, 2016 2:39 pm

Aunt May *is* hot.

I kinda loved how many jabs they were able to get in at the "She's too pretty and young to be Aunt May" assholes in such a short span of time.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  dreago on Sat May 07, 2016 7:40 pm

I swear it's not the shipper in me but the only part of this awesome movie that didn't work was
spoiler:
the shoehorned Cap/13 love story.  When they kissed and they said, "that was ..." I honestly thought it was going to be comedic and then they were gonna say "awkward!" Because they have no chemistry, like three scenes together in the last movie, and she is Peggy Muthafuckin' Carter's niece. It's creepy and oogie, for the pete's sake! It pulled me out of the scene and I wished they hadn't added it. Paranoid part of the fandom said it was a last minute addition by the studio to avoid insinuations about Cap,
but I haven't been in that part of the shipping fandom long enough to verify if that is accurate or Supernatural-levels of head canon and paranoia.

dreago

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Sat May 07, 2016 8:41 pm

Sharon and Steve date in the comics. So fandom is just being paranoid.

I don't get the oogie-ness. It's a very unique situation that Steve finds himself in, and it's her niece, not her daughter/granddaughter. If Steve were actually 95 years old, yeah, ick. But jokes with Bucky and Nat aside, he's just about 33 (28 when he went into the ice, five years or so since he defrosted), he and Peggy never actually got together, and he deserves some happiness. And, in the MCU at least, he had no idea who she was when he first started flirting with her. So I'm fine letting him have it, but yeah, it needs to be better written if they intend to follow it up.

Now, the one thing that didn't work for me was Zemo. There is no way he could have actually *planned* for any of this to happen. *Maybe* if he'd been shown to be an architect of the Accords or something, but as a nobody - even a talented former spy/soldier nobody - every key moment in his plan hinged on things that he had absolutely no control over. I mean

Spoiler:
if the task force hadn't put out "shoot on sight" orders, or if one of the JSOC guys had gotten a good shot in or if T'Challa had caught up with Bucky a few seconds faster and not been interrupted by Steve or if Tony had straight up "won" the airport battle or if anyone at the prison had done *any* kind of decent security check on "Dr. Broussard", or if Bucky had been stopped or killed during his escape, or if Secretary Ross had done *his* job and promised Tony that he would follow up on Dr. Broussard's murder, or if or if or if or if. Any one of those things goes any way other than it did and Zemo has no Big Reveal moment with Tony and Steve in that place at that time, and Zemo as presented here is most definitely *not* the Joker and able to make things up as he goes along *that* well.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  dionneshea on Sun May 08, 2016 12:56 am

dreago wrote:I swear it's not the shipper in me but the only part of this awesome movie that didn't work was
spoiler:
the shoehorned Cap/13 love story.  When they kissed and they said, "that was ..." I honestly thought it was going to be comedic and then they were gonna say "awkward!" Because they have no chemistry, like three scenes together in the last movie, and she is Peggy Muthafuckin' Carter's niece. It's creepy and oogie, for the pete's sake! It pulled me out of the scene and I wished they hadn't added it. Paranoid part of the fandom said it was a last minute addition by the studio to avoid insinuations about Cap,
but I haven't been in that part of the shipping fandom long enough to verify if that is accurate or Supernatural-levels of head canon and paranoia.
I'm assuming you ship Cap and Bucky? I don't. I like their friendship, but I've never been as in to the character of Bucky Barnes as large sections of the fandom have. I don't hate him or anything, I don't even dislike him, I just don't think he's all that. With that qualifier, I completely agree with you. It was so awkward. And I know it's canon in the comics, but they have so little chemistry, it's painful. Especially as Cap has chemistry with almost all the other characters. Honestly, if they were going to have him hook up with a former SHIELD agent, I'd have preferred it was Maria Hill. I missed her in this movie and I like their chemistry.

And laddical, I completely agree with you on Zemo. It was all so convoluted. I've never read the comics so I'm not sure if that's how it played out there, but it feels like there should have been a better way.

All that said, I really enjoyed the movie. It was fun, there are so many pretty people to look at, and they are characters that I've come to really love. Was it as good as Winter Soldier? No, not even close. But I still think it was a good addition to the franchise. And I now cannot wait for the Black Panther movie. Chadwick Boseman is just... yowzers. I'd also be up for Anthony Mackie to just be in all movies ever.
dionneshea

Back to top Go down

Post  bookworm on Sun May 08, 2016 11:35 am

OK, how did Cap
Spoiler:
know about Bucky killing Tony's parents? They never explained it?
bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Sun May 08, 2016 12:06 pm

All Cap knew for sure was that
Spoiler:
Hydra killed the Starks, which he learned from Zola when he and Widow traced his program in the last movie. The safest assumption from there was that it was the Winter Soldier but I believe he was telling the truth when he told Tony he "didn't know it was him" - or at least, he was trying really hard to believe it.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  Unlucky Bear on Mon May 09, 2016 9:44 pm

Sam had all the best line. "'Bird costume'? Really??" had me ugly-laughing in the theater.
Unlucky Bear
Official Succubus

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Mon May 09, 2016 9:51 pm

"Would you move your seat up?"

"No."

"You couldn't have done that a few minutes ago?"

"I hate you."

The look he and Bucky gave Steve after smooching Sharon.

Yup. Anthony Mackie steals all the scenes.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 24 of 24 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 22, 23, 24

View previous topic View next topic Back to top