Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Emmys 2012

+19
maxell131313
Paris, Texas
biakbiak
killershrew
punkysdilemma
nikita
Never Enough
mokey75
Fraoch
Gillian
The Dude
Instant Monkeys
Binky
big chicken
TiffanyNichelle
Shadowlass
queenofdenile
ActonBell
Poubelle
23 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Emmys 2012 Empty Emmys 2012

Post  Poubelle Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:47 pm

Nomintions are out

On what planet is Girls a better comedy than Parks & Rec? Why is Lena Dunham nominated in everything? She's not even the best actress on her show.

Looks like Downton got moved to drama, since I guess you can't be a miniseries with more than one season.

Pleasant surprise: Jared Harris nominated for Mad Men. I wasn't expecting that, but I'm glad to see it.

Last edited by Poubelle on Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Poubelle
Poubelle

Back to top Go down

Emmys 2012 Empty Re: Emmys 2012

Post  ActonBell Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:51 pm

On what planet is Girls a better comedy than Parks & Rec? Why is Lena Dunham nominated in everything? She's not even the best actress on her show

The Emmys automatically treat any show aired on HBO as prestigious and worthier of awards than anything on the networks. I can't take the Emmys seriously.

ActonBell
ActonBell

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:56 pm

I prefer to see it as Girls kicking out Glee, and Veep kicking out Parks and Rec. Girls is meh for me but at least it's better than Glee, and I like Veep more than P&R.

I am very shocked that the Emmy voters didn't manage to have the ENTIRE supporting acting in a comedy nom slots go to everyone on Modern Family. Because there are no other actors on any other show that have done award-worthy work this year. Or the past three.

And Community finally gets a nomination for writing for "Remedial Chaos Theory." Fewer nominations than the show deserves, but one more than I expected it to get, so yay for that.

The Emmys automatically treat any show aired on HBO as prestigious and worthier of awards than anything on the networks.

Unless you're The Wire. Or sometimes Deadwood. I think the "HBO is automatically better" mindset only applies consistently to the comedies, not the dramas.
queenofdenile
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  Shadowlass Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:04 pm

One nomination for P&R? What the fuck?

Shadowlass

Back to top Go down

Post  TiffanyNichelle Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:08 pm

Maisie Williams was robbed! She should have gotten a nom and so should have Happy Endings. Best Comedy, definitely over Girls. They couldn't kick out one of those damn Modern Family guys to give Damon Wayans Jr. his due? I can't wait for that show to be done.
TiffanyNichelle
TiffanyNichelle

Back to top Go down

Post  big chicken Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:11 pm

I don't understand how Will Arnett gets two nominations in the same category for the same role. Is it a typo? Did he do two appearances and got nominated for each time?

big chicken

Back to top Go down

Post  Binky Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:21 pm

The Emmys are always so bizarre. It's like they strike out randomly, catching HBO shows, big celeb names, and really terrible shows on CBS, while also getting stubbornly attached to particular shows/actors for YEARS.

I'm glad for the two New Girl nominations and for Jeremy Davies from Justified.

And also Glee's exclusion.
Binky
Binky

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:34 pm

You can nominate SNL people for supporting actor/actress in a comedy? Has that always been true?
Instant Monkeys
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  The Dude Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:10 pm

TiffanyNichelle wrote:Maisie Williams was robbed!
Totally, hopefully this doesn't turn into another Wire situation because she's got some great stuff coming up next year.
The Dude
The Dude

Back to top Go down

Post  Gillian Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:16 pm

Dang, there are a lot of Downton Abbey actors in there. That is totally fine with me.

How does American Horror Story count as a miniseries?

Gillian

Back to top Go down

Post  Fraoch Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:20 pm

"American Horror Story" allegedly can call itself a miniseries because each season is its own story with different characters, etc., than any other season.

I am in love with the fact that Mark Margolis got a Guest Actor nomination for "Breaking Bad" based on the power of his face and his ability to ding a bell.

Fraoch

Back to top Go down

Post  mokey75 Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:02 pm

Instant Monkeys, it's happened before with SNL. I'm delighted for Hader. I am, however, starting to wonder if Nick Offerman was a doggy serial killer at some point in his life, because how the hell did he get passed over again?

The Lead Actor in a Drama category is crazy - Lewis, Cranston, Hamm, Buscemi, Hall and Bonneville. How the hell do you choose? I don't get the Girls love at all. And I've never liked Modern Family, so I'm extra annoyed about all their nominations. I am pleased about Veep, though; I think it was finding its way by the end of the season.
mokey75
mokey75

Back to top Go down

Post  Never Enough Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:11 pm

big chicken wrote:I don't understand how Will Arnett gets two nominations in the same category for the same role. Is it a typo? Did he do two appearances and got nominated for each time?

Yes, the latter. I think when it's a guest spot nomination you submit the individual episode. So he probably submitted all his episodes and 2 got picked.

Instant Monkeys
You can nominate SNL people for supporting actor/actress in a comedy? Has that always been true?

Yes. I think Molly Shannon was the first one to get nominated from SNL. At least I remember it happening. Kristin Wiig has been nominated a couple times already.

Never Enough

Back to top Go down

Post  nikita Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:15 pm

I am very happy about the nominations for Bill Hader and Max Greenfield. They are both awesome and consistently the best thing about their respective shows, IMO.

I'm also glad that Anna Gunn from Breaking Bad was nominated. Not sure if she's been nominated before but I think she definitely deserves it. Same goes for all the other BB noms too, obviously.

Parks and Rec was robbed again. Glad to see Poehler nominated but she won't win.

nikita

Back to top Go down

Post  punkysdilemma Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:27 pm

The double-Arnett actually *is* a typo -- the real sixth nomination is Jon Hamm for the five minutes he did on the live 30 Rock episode (which were hilarious).

Fraoch wrote:I am in love with the fact that Mark Margolis got a Guest Actor nomination for "Breaking Bad" based on the power of his face and his ability to ding a bell.
Yes! That is awesome.

A bit sad about Hugh Laurie never getting an Emmy, but I wouldn't have given it to him this year either. As it is I would have a hard time deciding between Bryan Cranston (who I imagine would submit his insane performance in "Crawl Space") and Damian Lewis (who *has* to be submitting the Homeland season finale).

I really like Modern Family, but wouldn't have given every single person on it a nomination.

It will be interesting to see if the voters reflexively award Julia Louis-Dreyfus the Emmy.

That supporting actor field is brutal. I don't even know if I have a favorite (I haven't seen Downton Abbey so that leaves out two of 'em anyway).

Also this:
Margaret Cho as Kim Jong-il in "30 Rock"
is hilarious.

punkysdilemma
punkysdilemma

Back to top Go down

Post  killershrew Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:45 pm

Here are the nominations that make me happy:

Mayim Bialik as Amy Farrah Fowler in "The Big Bang Theory"
Jessica Lange as Constance Langdon in "American Horror Story"
Loretta Devine as Adele Webber in "Grey's Anatomy"
The fact that there's a "Best Voice-Over Performance" category at all
The writing nomination for the "Remedial Chaos Theory" episode of "Community"

Here's what makes me grumpy:

Eva Longoria got nothing for "Desperate Housewives" -- I thought she was just great on that show, and very underrated
No nominations for "RuPaul's Drag Race"
Betty White was nominated for "Betty White's Off Their Rockers" -- I love me some Betty, but it all just feels perfunctory at this point
killershrew
killershrew

Back to top Go down

Post  biakbiak Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:02 pm

I don't understand how Will Arnett gets two nominations in the same category for the same role. Is it a typo? Did he do two appearances and got nominated for each time?

It's a typo. Every other list has him down once and Jon Hamm for 30 Rock as the 5th nominee.

I can't understand how Nick Fucking Offerman doesn't get nominated for all the things.
biakbiak
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  nikita Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:10 pm

punkysdilemma wrote:

Also this:
Margaret Cho as Kim Jong-il in "30 Rock"
is hilarious.

That's fantastic. I overlooked that when I read the nominations. That was truly inspired casting.

nikita

Back to top Go down

Post  Paris, Texas Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:17 pm

That sucks about Hugh Laurie. His best chance outside of the first two seasons was that season which started with the Franka Potente episodes.

I hope Claire Danes takes it for Homeland. Though I would have liked to see Mandy Patinkin there; he was possibly superior even to her, and I found him to be the bedrock of the show. So glad for Michelle Dockery and Joanne Frogatt for Downton. But Hugh Bonneville and Jim Carter? Really? Carter is a great actor but come on, Emmys. Plus Brendan Coyle's interesting stuff was in the first season.

Boo to the lack of Timothy Olyphant and Walton Goggins for Justified, but yay for Jeremy Davis. Lena Dunham is an oaf. And to be honest, I actually prefer the vaguely racist and retrograde 2 Broke Girls to Girls in every way. And even to The New Girl, though Max Greenfield is really deserving.

Very pleased for Kevin Costner, Benedict Cumberbatch and Idris Elba, but as for the female category - Ashley Judd? As someone who actually likes Ashley Judd, her nomination is nonetheless bizarre.

Paris, Texas

Back to top Go down

Post  maxell131313 Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:19 pm

Yay for all the Downton Abbey nominations!! In a perfect world, Maggie Smith would have a unanimous vote for that Emmy. Just sayin'.
maxell131313
maxell131313

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:33 pm

It will be interesting to see if the voters reflexively award Julia Louis-Dreyfus the Emmy.

As much as I get tired of the same people getting nominated/winning all the time, I would not be at all opposed to that happening in this case.
queenofdenile
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  biakbiak Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:21 am

Julia has actually only won twice, once for Seinfeld and once for The New Adventures of Old Christine.

Last edited by biakbiak on Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:58 am; edited 1 time in total
biakbiak
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  bbridges Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:37 am

A lot of the seemingly unstoppable Emmy juggernauts have actually only won a few times (or in some cases not at all.) I am honestly shocked that Julia Louis Dreyfuss has only won twice since she was nominated so much. I think she even managed to get a nomination for that "real time" sitcom she did.

Ashley Judd? As someone who actually likes Ashley Judd, her nomination is nonetheless bizarre.
The Emmys have always had a fetish for anyone perceived as a movie star who does television. They always dominate the Miniseries and Movies acting categories. It's also not a very crowded field this year.

The nomination I'm must happy about is Community for writing. "Remedial Chaos Theory" is awesome and deserves the recognition. (And everyone knows that the coolest shows get Writing noms and not series noms.)
bbridges
bbridges

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:44 pm

Bumping this to remind y'all it exists.

Emmy chat here
particle_person
particle_person
Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  sagitare Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:22 pm

Most of you may know already but our own Fug Girls are tweeting from the red carpet and about an hour ago Heather got to 'chat up' both Ben and Martin! Lucky girl! Jessica also reported that Ben is 'much dreamier' in person to her.

They both survived the heat (Jessica, you definitely earned that Diet Coke!), and it sounded like a blast to do - thanks for all the fun tweets, H&J!
sagitare
sagitare

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum