Fall TV Season

Page 5 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Fall TV Season - Page 5 Empty Re: Fall TV Season

Post  Carrie Ann on Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:32 pm

Yeah, I'm really into this show. And I love that the cast is over half POC. I'm already attached to them.

On a shallow note, Terry Crews's arms?!?!
Carrie Ann
Carrie Ann

Back to top Go down

Post  TiffanyNichelle on Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:39 pm

I record the show while watching SHIELD and then I watch it before The Mindy Project comes on so it fits perfectly into my schedule right now. It's a cute show.
TiffanyNichelle
TiffanyNichelle

Back to top Go down

Post  truecrystal on Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:34 pm

Yeah, Brooklyn Nine Nine was a pleasant surprise. I wouldn't have thought the very things that make Andy Samberg so annoying to me would work so well in this role.

I'm bummed that 2 shows that I was most looking forward to are so very very terrible: The Blacklist and Hostages. Dylan McDermott's one trick acting pony is tired and Toni Collette isn't even bothering to try. But worst of all, how could a plot about blackmailing a surgeon to kill the president be so damn BORING?

The Blacklist is just ridiculous in the same was as The Following--James Spader isn't really a brilliant criminal mastermind but he's up against the stupidest FBI agents known to man except those on The Following.

Thanks god for Sleepy Hollow which is simply delightful.

truecrystal

Back to top Go down

Post  Heather on Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:30 pm

My unpopular opinion is that I HATE Brooklyn Nine Nine and every character on it, except for Braugher and Terry Crews. Because Mike Schur helped The Office and Parks and Rec find their own heartbeats, I'm not totally done with it yet, but boy. All I can root for is for Braugher to fire everyone and start over with people who aren't inexplicable a-holes and man-children.

Heather

Back to top Go down

Post  biakbiak on Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:52 pm

I wonder how bad the pilot of Super Fun Nigh was that they pulled it in favor of the second episode which also sucked.
biakbiak
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  truecrystal on Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:09 pm

I...didn't...totally...hate Ironside.

truecrystal

Back to top Go down

Post  Binky on Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:36 pm

truecrystal wrote:I...didn't...totally...hate Ironside.
I didn't, either (especially compared to the only other new drama I've seen, the abysmal Hostages.), but it bombed in the ratings.

I think Brooklyn Nine-Nine has potential and it's nice to see Andre Braugher back on TV in a show I don't totally hate (aka everything he's done on TV since Homicide). But it feels really sketchy, which I guess makes sense given Samberg's SNL background. I hope it develops more of a narrative/show characterization. That said, since Dads is definitely getting chopped, maybe it'll have a little more time to hang on.
Binky
Binky

Back to top Go down

Post  biakbiak on Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:55 pm

First cancellation of the season is unsurprisingly ABC's Lucky 7, they are going to show Scandal reruns instead.
biakbiak
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  mortalmax on Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:27 pm

biakbiak wrote:First cancellation of the season is unsurprisingly ABC's Lucky 7, they are going to show Scandal reruns instead.
Aww, I liked that show, and it was getting interesting with the young mother's backstory.

And according to that article, Betrayal is also on the chopping block. And I liked that show too! Now I remembered why I don't watch new series until after they get renewed....

mortalmax

Back to top Go down

Post  Putli Bai on Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:37 pm

biakbiak wrote:First cancellation of the season is unsurprisingly ABC's Lucky 7, they are going to show Scandal reruns instead.
Wow. Although it doesn't surprise me. I can't put my finger on why, but even the commercials for Lucky 7 made me hate it.
Putli Bai
Putli Bai

Back to top Go down

Post  Raised by wolves on Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:13 am

I can't put my finger on why, but even the commercials for Lucky 7 made me hate it.
I hated the premise. IRL people dream of winning the lottery. Who has a fantasy in which winning the lottery DOESN'T solve all of their problems? And who has sympathy for someone who wins the lottery and still isn't happy?

Raised by wolves

Back to top Go down

Post  Eris Rising on Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:33 pm

Raised by wolves wrote:
I can't put my finger on why, but even the commercials for Lucky 7 made me hate it.
I hated the premise.  IRL people dream of winning the lottery.  Who has a fantasy in which winning the lottery DOESN'T solve all of their problems?  And who has sympathy for someone who wins the lottery and still isn't happy?
Bingo. It's a misreading of the national mood. "Wow, you're wealthy and suddenly it comes with all of these problems? Let me watch you cry about them as a way of escaping from my underemployment, my crushing student loan debt, my medical bills, and my general lack of better job prospects."
Eris Rising
Eris Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  biakbiak on Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:16 pm

I only watched the first episode and didn't like it but the problems didn't have anything to do with their new found money. It was the issues like on the run after kidnapping a foster kid, criminals and cops after you, loveless marriage, etc. that couldn't be solved by the money. I mean it wasn't good but it definitely didn't seem to be going for a whiny "money causes so many problems."
biakbiak
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  Eris Rising on Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:30 pm

biakbiak wrote:I only watched the first episode and didn't like it but the problems didn't have anything to do with their new found money. It was the issues like on the run after kidnapping a foster kid, criminals and cops after you, loveless marriage, etc. that couldn't be solved by the money. I mean it wasn't good but it definitely didn't seem to be going for a whiny "money causes so many problems."
Then, boy, did they advertise it wrong.
Eris Rising
Eris Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Raised by wolves on Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:14 am

I mean it wasn't good but it definitely didn't seem to be going for a whiny "money causes so many problems."
I'm sure the premise was that money doesn't fix what's wrong and they weren't going for the "rich people have it so bad" angle but it does make a bad idea worse.  That means the story is that miserable poor people become miserable rich people, LOL.  It's the bursting of the fantasy I hated.  People don't dream of winning the lottery and being unhappy, that's why it's a fantasy -- all your problems go away if only you had zillions of dollars, of course!

Raised by wolves

Back to top Go down

Post  biakbiak on Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:38 am

If you look into lottery winners though it's accurate that most of their problems aren't magically solved and a ton of them end up with financial problems or other issues. I mean I literally never saw any ads for it, the only reason I even watched it is because I signed up for the TiVo "season pass" that records all new shows but it's based on a British show, The Syndicate, and neither seem to be going for the fantasy element. I mean I didn't tune in for the second episode because I didn't like it but the one thing that was clear was that it was about busting the fantasy. The episode started with a scene from several months down the line and the person who is shown as happy is the one person who worked with them but hadn't contributed to the lottery pool.
biakbiak
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  Raised by wolves on Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:04 am

I feel like we're agreeing in counterpoints, if that's actually a thing.  Yes, in reality lottery winners aren't automatically happy and some lose it all.  And yes, maybe the show wanted to kill that fantasy, but that's most likely why it got cancelled in two episodes.  No one wants to see that particular bubble burst.

ETA: And IMO fantasies aren't compartmentalized. Fantasies are perfect lives where it's not just that you've won a shit ton of money, but you also are a size 2 for life, never look a day over 24 without plastic surgery, and are married to the hottest sex-machine of your choice. All of that goes away, if that makes any sense.

Raised by wolves

Back to top Go down

Post  Morning Angel on Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:17 am

I'm really enjoying Trophy Wife.  Sadly, it suffers from the Cougar Town syndrome of having a terrible title that feels disconnected from the show.  It's funny without being totally wacky, and the whole cast, including the kids, is good.  Very enjoyable.

The other new show I'll definitely stick with is Masters of Sex.  It's not perfect, but the characters are really engaging & it's a fascinating story.  Plus, I know my share of hyperfocused researchers in real life, and it is not something you often see on TV.  Bonus, having Michael Sheen on my TV every week.

I'm not too sure how I feel about The Crazy Ones as a whole, but I think I'll stick with it just because James Wolk and Robin Williams make a good comedy team, which is unexpected.
Morning Angel
Morning Angel

Back to top Go down

Post  bookworm on Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:42 am

TV Guide had a poll about which of the new series people like the most. Sleepy Hollow had 80% good and S.H.I.E.LD only had 60% good.
bookworm
bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post  ActonBell on Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:20 pm

I definitely enjoy Sleepy Hollow more than Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D, which I was not at all expecting -- I think Robert Orci is a terrible person (he's a 9/11 truther and his treatment of Star Trek fans has been pretty contemptuous), so I never expected a show he created to be so fun and good. And I had really high hopes for S.H.I.E.L.D, but I've been disappointed so far. I mostly keep watching with the hope that it improves.
ActonBell
ActonBell

Back to top Go down

Post  punkysdilemma on Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:24 pm

Apparently We Are Men is second to go. We watched the first episode despite all the appalling reviews and it was pretty bad, but it wasn't as bad as, like, that William Shatner show a few years back. Not that we mind. Too much is on.

Haven't really gotten into Agents of Shield. I don't know if it's ABC or the producers who've decided that all "I am a Serious Professional Science Person" characters must be played by people who appear to be 24 years old, but I hate when shows do that.

We are enjoying Brooklyn Nine-Nine and Andre Braugher, who you'd almost think is playing Pembleton again if taken out of context.
punkysdilemma
punkysdilemma

Back to top Go down

Post  Shalamar on Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:37 pm

How much do I like Brooklyn 99? When my PVR decided to not record it on Tuesday, I was PISSED.

I've enjoyed Agents of Shield and Sleepy Hollow, too. Haven't caught Blacklist or Hostages or Mom yet, and I'm starting to wonder if I should bother.

The Michael J. Fox Show is not good, and I'm so disappointed. He's as charming and talented as ever, and Wendell Pierce and Betsy Brandt are fun, but the rest is just meh. I agree that the character of the sister is horribly written.
Shalamar
Shalamar

Back to top Go down

Post  maxell131313 on Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:11 pm

I'm watching The Blacklist, mostly due to my love for James Spader, and if he weren't on the show I'd have dropped it already. So far it's turning out to be one of those shows I'll DVR, but I'll watch pretty much everything else I've recorded first.

I tried The Michael J. Fox Show and I tried to like it, really I did, but it just wasn't clicking for me. Goodbye Alex P. Keaton.

Here's hoping tonight's Once Upon A Time In Wonderland is good. I've already read one scathing review, but the writer admitted these types of shows weren't his thing, so I'm hoping it's just his bias.
maxell131313
maxell131313

Back to top Go down

Post  choubetcha on Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:24 pm

The other sitcom I like this season besides the ones mentioned is Back in the Game. Anyone watching it? It's not appointment TV but it's got potential and I really like James Caan on it.

choubetcha

Back to top Go down

Post  inversed on Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:35 pm

We Are Men was painful, I'm not surprised it got cancelled at all. And as I said in a different thread, I will watch just about anything now that I'm a sleep-deprived, constantly-nursing new mother so for it to be too bad for me to watch, that's saying something.

I want to like Mom because I love Alison Janney but it hasn't gelled for me yet.

inversed

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next