Fall TV Season

Page 2 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Fall TV Season - Page 2 Empty Re: Fall TV Season

Post  Binky on Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:07 am

I watched The Mindy Project pilot, which I thought was okay for a pilot. I like Kaling best in supporting roles (she's a little too stand-up comic narrator-y in her acting), but FOX already owns me with Raising Hope and New Girl, so her show should fit right in.

I would watch The New Normal, if I didn't know it was by Ryan Murphy. Uh-huh. Not even gonna try it.
Binky
Binky

Back to top Go down

Post  Raksha on Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:08 am

You can watch the pilot of Revolution free on Hulu.

Yeah, this was a bit slow, but I'm in because I love Elizabeth Mitchell and Tim Guinee and I'm obsessed S.M. Stirling's Emberverse series, which has a similar premise. Plus, the British lady is a stealth badass.
Raksha
Raksha

Back to top Go down

Post  Shadowlass on Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:48 pm

I liked Ben and Kate, especially the lead actor, who has a pleasantly erratic quality. The supporting actors are also good, including the little girl, but I'm not loving the female lead--she's like knockoff Zooey Deschanel, and I sometimes can't even handle original recipe Zooey.

Shadowlass

Back to top Go down

Post  choubetcha on Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:19 pm

I actually really liked Go On! I went into it with deadly low expectations but I laughed a few times AND found it pretty affecting. I have the same timeslot jam mentioned upthread for it, but it looks like it's a full seven weeks before Happy Endings comes back so I'll definitely watch it until then and then maybe switch to catching up on Hulu.

choubetcha

Back to top Go down

Post  biakbiak on Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:47 pm

Animal Practice second show to get the boot, after Made in New Jersey. Still no love for Community as it will be replaced by Whitney in November.
biakbiak
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  Eris Rising on Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:56 am

biakbiak wrote:Animal Practice second show to get the boot, after Made in New Jersey. Still no love for Community as it will be replaced by Whitney in November.

Whitney? It's like they're not satisfied with being cruel to Community fans, and have decided to take it out on the NBC audience as a whole.
Eris Rising
Eris Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  mokey75 on Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:46 am

I bet they're waiting for Up All Night to finally tank, and then they'll slot it right back into the Thursday line-up.
mokey75
mokey75

Back to top Go down

Post  Case on Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:30 pm

Community not returning tonight, Whitney returning, and the future of Bryan Fuller's Mockingbird Lane uncertain.
NBC is definitely now the Britta of network television.
Case
Case

https://www.facebook.com/case.crum

Back to top Go down

Post  truecrystal on Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:28 am

I'm not even gonna lie -- I am enjoying the hell outta Beauty and the Beast. It's cheesy and silly at times, okay, most of the time. But I've always liked Kristen Kreuk and even though her gun is bigger than she is, she's not distracting me playing a bad ass cop. She's even good in the action scenes! And dude who plays Vincent is Generic Hottie #476 but he is hot and he and KK have good chemistry. It's entertaining! I swear!

I've already abandoned the following from my pre-season watch list:

Last Resort - I tried 3 eps, but I was bored out of my mind and I did not care about any of the characters AT ALL. They talk so so much and all of the conversations sound like table readings. It should be way more exciting and tension-filled than it is.

Emily Owens, M.D. - Deleted the season pass after the first episode. That was cringeworthy. Sorry, Justin Hartley.

Vegas - It wasn't bad, but Dennis Quaid is in full-on perma scowl mode and it's tiresome. And he's redundant when Jason O'Mara is there as essentially the same character except not "tortured". And JOM is better. Also, can someone please tell me how Carrie-Anne Moss is still acting?

truecrystal

Back to top Go down

Post  biakbiak on Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:21 pm

I bet they're waiting for Up All Night to finally tank,

Well they giving it every opportunity, retooled version number 2, as a multi-camera sitcom, will debut in the spring.
biakbiak
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  katesti on Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:58 pm

Well, that's weird. I feel like I'm the only one in the world that likes that show - both versions of it. It is creepily true to my life, to the point where I strongly suspect they follow me around.

katesti

Back to top Go down

Post  Matinee on Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:07 pm

katesti wrote:Well, that's weird. I feel like I'm the only one in the world that likes that show - both versions of it. It is creepily true to my life, to the point where I strongly suspect they follow me around.

I actually really like it too, though I'm behind this season. I didn't realize it was in so much trouble.

Matinee

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys on Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:20 pm

As I said to laddical on Facebook, although I don't actually watch it (because I have too many shows already and the DVR will explode if I add more), I catch a couple of minutes of it at the end of whatever show it is that precedes it (30 Rock?), and I find it amusing. I kind of look forward to those two minutes actually. Converting it to a laugh-track kind of show is going to dampen my enthusiasm for it. But then, I'm sure they do not get excited about "it was on the tail end of my other recording so I watched the first two minutes" kind of ratings. Still, I'm also surprised to hear it's in trouble; I had no idea. I thought it was doing well.
Instant Monkeys
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  Binky on Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:33 pm

I like Up All Night, too (although I don't like the sudden plot change reversing the dynamics of the first season). I don't care for the brother character they added, who I can't figure out if they're trying to get more male viewers with or not. I'm not thinking multi-camera and laughtrack are going to make it better or improve its ratings.
Binky
Binky

Back to top Go down

Post  Morning Angel on Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:09 am

Binky wrote:I like Up All Night, too (although I don't like the sudden plot change reversing the dynamics of the first season). I don't care for the brother character they added, who I can't figure out if they're trying to get more male viewers with or not. I'm not thinking multi-camera and laughtrack are going to make it better or improve its ratings.

I liked the first season quite a bit, but they've been losing me this season. I don't understand the need for the brother character either, and the plots have not been that interesting or funny to me.
Morning Angel
Morning Angel

Back to top Go down

Post  BreezyK on Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:11 am

Yeah, I watched the first episode of this season and they lost me. I loved the dynamic of the 1st season with Reagan working and Chris being at home and both of them being FINE with that. I liked crazy Ava and her diva demands and I don't understand why they had to completely retool. I doubt that this new change will bring me back as a viewer.

BreezyK

Back to top Go down

Post  biakbiak on Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:56 pm

I actually don't mind the brother, I mean I don't love him but I don't find him annoying. However, starting last season with Reagan and continuing this season with both her and Chris I feel like they have become increasingly self-centered, unlikeable and annoying.

Last edited by biakbiak on Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
biakbiak
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  nikita on Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:56 pm

I loved the first season, but I've been pretty 'meh' with this season so far. This new format they're going to try doesn't appeal to me. I don't have a problem with the multi-cam, live audience sitcoms, I just don't see it working for this particular show.

nikita

Back to top Go down

Post  Heather on Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:18 pm

I think it has a shot -- I liked it better last season, too, and I don't think the brother character works. But I think getting rid of Ava's show set was a cost-cutting measure, and now that the show is smaller in scope, they probably realized it'd transfer well to multi-cam. NBC has been wanting to do more cheaper multi-cams, and rather than cancel this show and debut a new one, they probably figured, okay, they have three lead actors who would all get great audience response and are good in front of a live crowd -- might as well see what this can do for half a season before deciding. Plus, cheaper.

Heather

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie on Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:45 pm

Yeah I feel like multi-cam gets such a bad wrap nowadays. Dude Newsradio, Wings, Coach, Murphy Brown all smart, funny and multi-camera.

blixie
Mod Squad

http://thesnarkening.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  biakbiak on Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:14 pm

I don't think it's going to work, not because I think that there is anything wrong with multi-camera sitcoms, I just don't think people are going to get any new viewers.
biakbiak
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys on Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:17 pm

I don't think it's an inferior format or anything, it's just a preference thing I guess. I have loved many a laugh-track-laden sitcom in my day. But now that I have glimpsed a world without them, I have a hard time going back. Plus I just find the sound of bursts of loud laughter grating, probably because I'm a Vulcan or something. To me there are few things more annoying on this earth than being in the other room while someone is watching a sitcom and you keep hearing regularly paced bursts of laughter. My old roommate was a GIANT devotee of The Golden Girls. (A show I have a lot of affection for, but also have a tolerance limit for.) So I had that experience a lot (she was a "leave the TV on every moment you are awake" person), and it colors my feelings probably.

But, I think the different formats work for different shows. Golden Girls really WAS like a stage show and that was how it worked best with that (amazing) cast. It's hard for me to say since I haven't really watched this one, but if say, Parks and Rec suddenly became a multi-camera sitcom, irrespective of my preferences for one over the other, it would be extremely weird for me. Ditto if say The Cosby Show became a single-camera one. It would be surreal. In fact, someone should do a Funny or Die video of that. On the other hand, who knows, maybe it will work after people get used to it.
Instant Monkeys
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  Case on Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:16 am

"Up All Night" has had so many changes that I've lost count.

1. The pilot is filmed as "Alpha Mom", with Ava as a recurring character. Bridesmaids is released and is a hit. Pilot retooled and renamed, making Ava a lead character. Reagan and Ava go from PR executives to talk show producer and daytime host. Here we go...

2. Nick Cannon appears as Ava's bandleader. He's gone as quickly as he came. Did he ever show up after the aired pilot?

3. Without any story buildup, The Ava Show is bought by a vaguely defined female British media mogul. Said mogul promotes her right hand man, Luke (Steven Pasquale), as a producer on the talk show. Initially a protagonist for Reagan, he becomes a barely recurring character. The most random and inconsequential of changes.

3. The Ava Show is canceled, getting rid of the amazing Missy! Reagan suddenly has a brother, Scott (Luka Jones). Chris and Reagan's roles as parents are reversed.

4. "Up All Night is recorded in front of a live studio audience!" The hit sitcom of 1993.

Anything that I missed or got wrong?
ETA: I watch entirely too much television.
Case
Case

https://www.facebook.com/case.crum

Back to top Go down

Post  katesti on Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:31 pm

Nothing you missed, but man, I'd forgotten about most of that.

katesti

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames on Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:22 pm

Instant Monkeys wrote:But, I think the different formats work for different shows. Golden Girls really WAS like a stage show and that was how it worked best with that (amazing) cast.

That's just it: if done well, multi-camera can capture the energy and vibrancy of live theatre. But most shows don't successfully do that.
RiverThames
RiverThames

http://www.mrmaresca.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next