Fall TV Season

Page 4 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Fall TV Season - Page 4 Empty Re: Fall TV Season

Post  biakbiak on Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:34 am

I was pleasantly surprised by Sleepy Hollow, super crazy but liked it and the leads and their rapport. For some reason
Spoiler:
I thought Cho had been made a regular after Go On was cancelled so that surprised me.
Curious to see if it can sustain itself.

I set up a the TiVo Season Pass for all new shows but already deleted Dads to prevent it from recording.
biakbiak
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  Swarley on Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:36 pm

I've been wondering when this thread was going to get revived.  I've been wondering about the fall TV schedule and I rely on you guys to give it to me.

I'll be watching Dads tonight because... Seth Green?  I mean, I don't really want to but my husband says we should give it a shot so, I'll watch the pilot. I think I'm most excited for the return of New Girl.  

I'm also super excited for Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.  I've heard there have been some issues with writing which makes me nervous. I want this show to be awesome.  Please Joss, don't let me down.

I think I'll give Crazy Ones a try too.  Because SMG.  Plus Robin Williams. I've always enjoyed Williams.  

I didn't watch Sleepy Hollow last night but I did catch the premiere of Dancing With the Stars.  It was fun.  I think Bill Nye will benefit from viewer nostalgia despite not being that great.  I hope Amber Riley continues to rock it.  Of course her being there makes me wonder about Glee this year.  I assume she's still contractually obliged to Glee which would make doing DWtS hard but not impossible, I guess.

Speaking of Glee, I'll watch because I have a morbid curiosity about how they're going to handle Monteith's death.

I think I'm going to have to watch Two and a Half Men for Amber Tamblyn.  I'm not happy about it but I enjoy Tamblyn so much.  I wish she'd do more (and better) things.

Swarley

Back to top Go down

Post  bookworm on Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:39 pm

Sleepy Hollow was insane. It had good atmosphere, and the lead is easy on the eyes, but wow that was a lot to cram in 45 minutes.
bookworm
bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post  biakbiak on Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:44 pm

I assume she's still contractually obliged to Glee which would make doing DWtS hard but not impossible, I guess.
She is no longer a series regular and will only be back for a few episodes, one being the Corey episode.
biakbiak
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames on Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:11 pm

I'll be tuning into S.H.I.E.L.D., but that's the only new thing really on my radar. You guys will let me know if anything else is awesome and worth my time, yes?

I should note, I don't really NEED to add anything to my schedule, you know?
RiverThames
RiverThames

http://www.mrmaresca.com

Back to top Go down

Post  inversed on Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:51 pm

I'm curious about The Crazy Ones mostly because CBS had this spot for it that was so over-the-top cheesy ("Every so often... there comes a show... where everything comes together... and it makes you laugh...and cry... and think.") that I kept expecting it to be a spoof.

inversed

Back to top Go down

Post  biakbiak on Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:09 pm

Yeah it totally reminded me of the scene in the preview of the Michael J Fox show were he is turning down returning to his job at the local NBC affiliate because he knows that they will do a slow motion montage of him walking to sappy music.
biakbiak
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  Nerg on Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:22 pm

Brooklyn Nine-Nine was delightful, as expected. Really excited to see how long it takes Schur and Goor to make it into my favorite show. Actually loved all the characters, but Chelsea Peretti might have been my favorite: "On six conditions..."

Nerg

Back to top Go down

Post  mokey75 on Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:10 am

I'm probably going to watch the Michael J. Fox show, because I still love him. And I think I may try Mom because I like Anna Faris a lot, and I love Alison Janney. I have zero expectations for either, though.
mokey75
mokey75

Back to top Go down

Post  Carrie Ann on Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:17 pm

Nerg wrote:Brooklyn Nine-Nine was delightful, as expected. Really excited to see how long it takes Schur and Goor to make it into my favorite show. Actually loved all the characters, but Chelsea Peretti might have been my favorite: "On six conditions..."
Me too, which was a surprise because I have really hated her when she's been a guest on podcasts I like.
Carrie Ann
Carrie Ann

Back to top Go down

Post  mrinsouciance on Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:35 am

Made the mistake of watching the pilot for The Blacklist. Spader plays a less-likeable version of Alan Shore (which I didn't believe was possible - how wrong I was), and the female lead is a dreadfully bad actress. Boring and cliche'.

Between this and SHIELD, I'm not terribly optimistic about the crop of new shows.

mrinsouciance

Back to top Go down

Post  ActonBell on Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:00 am

I know this is petty, but I will never watch The Blacklist out of sheer spite. There's only room for one Thomas Harris-inspired drama in my heart, and even though I like James Spader I want this show to fail. He's in the next Avengers movie, he'll be fine.
ActonBell
ActonBell

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran on Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:25 am

I watched it and Spader was the only interesting element. But yet, it was still better then hostages. Which I think I might like more though because it has the possibility of becoming so bad its amazing. Whereas Blacklist is more like mediocrity with one interesting element...much like the last season of the Practice.

James Spader just call F/X or HBO, dude.
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie on Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:30 am

Dylan McDermott is the WORST, seriously he has NEVER been a good a actor. EVER. So I knew Hostages would suck w/o having to watch it. Toni Collett should have done Gone Girl with Benny from the Block.

I watched Anna Faris' Mom, because Anna Faris is fucking hilarious, and because Allison Janney is awesome, and that combined with the vestigial tail of Chuck Lorre's former talent, might yield a funny and smart tv show. It was very funny and even slightly poignant in places, but needs to ditch the entire work place aspect of the show, and focus on her AA multi generational extended family, especially her ex stoner baby daddy who had the best chemistry with her. And despite all the uneven brassy mulit camera chaos around her, Anna did indeed manage to be hilarious and hold the center. "It's CHRIST-Y!"

I couldn't make it through the Goldbergs, but I might try a again since a friend said it was really funny and accurately reflected her 80's teen life.

blixie
Mod Squad

http://thesnarkening.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran on Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:28 pm

Who'd she have played in Gone Girl? Lady cop?

I have a weird fondness for Dylan McDermott. You are right he has no range. But what little range he has is smug or duplicitious evil and weirdly EVERY role he has had up until now has been RIGHT in there. Like he knows.

Also he has a nice butt.

But here? Hes duplicitious but he has to be honorable possibly? And its like a combo of the worst of the Practice with that time he cried during masturbation on American Horror Story. So hes NOT GOOD. But I find him entertainingly bad.
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  xyzzy on Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:18 pm

The Blacklist was pretty awful. I'm weary of the criminal mastermind manipulating the authorities trope, especially when it's so ridiculously executed.

Hostage was even worse. In a world where a Seal Team Six sniper can take out a pirate bobbing up and down in a boat in pitch darkness without hitting the hostage standing right next to him, I have difficulty believing that Dylan McDermott couldn't be easily overcome after the doctor has a quick word with a member of the conveniently absent protective detail that normally surrounds the President. And what the hell with the finger cutting?
xyzzy
xyzzy

Back to top Go down

Post  biakbiak on Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:22 pm

I couldn't even make it to the hostage taking and I love Tate Donovan (I watched the entire season of that shitty NBC show he was on last season who's name I can't remember) and Toni Collete, I was so bored bored and I forget that Dylan McDermott is not a very good actor.

At least The Blacklist had James Spader eating the sets, so I was able to make it to the end of the episode.
biakbiak
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  mandalaya on Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:39 pm

I liked Spader in the Blacklist, and at least the protagonist is a woman, if one that is going to be shown to be Spader's daughter or something eventually, not one that he picked because he (alone) can see how brilliant she is. But I immediately thought of Silence of the Lambs when he started making demands of the guvmint in exchange for lifesaving info.

I just saw the pilot for The Michael J. Fox Show - the title of which I just had to look up because it is so forgettable. He still has excellent comic timing, but the desperate aging sister trope?!? Fuck those writers. That shit is misogyny left over from the 1950s and I will give that show a wide berth if they continue in that vein. Leave the curtains open in case a doctor looks in?????????? They are recycling jokes from Doris Day films. That character could be real AND funny, the writers shouldn't be trying (and failing) to make us laugh at her for having the extreme gall to still be single. Forty-four percent of Americans over age 18 are single, per the 2011 Census.
mandalaya
mandalaya

Back to top Go down

Post  dionneshea on Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:11 pm

I forgot about the Michael J. Fox show. I'll need to catch it on Video on Demand.

Did anyone else watch The Crazy Ones? I'm not sure what to think. I didn't dislike it. It was sort of sweet, but nothing really special. The one surprise to me was how fun and funny I found James Wolk. I hate his character on Mad Men, but I found him wonderful here. I enjoyed Hamish Linkletter, though maybe that's also just because of how much I disliked him on The Newsroom. But I've loved him on other things before this, too. I found Amanda Setton's character a bit cliche, but that being said, I laughed aloud at two of her lines which is two more than SMG and Robin Williams. Honestly, they were the two weakest points to me. There was no chemistry between them at all. And the McDonalds mentions seemed over the top to me. I'll watch a couple more, but I'm not sold.
dionneshea
dionneshea

Back to top Go down

Post  Gillian on Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:20 am

dionneshea wrote:The one surprise to me was how fun and funny I found James Wolk. I hate his character on Mad Men, but I found him wonderful here.
I haven't watched it yet, and I make a point of not watching things that involve Robin Williams, but I'll get around to it because of my loyalty to SMG. So, without having seen it, I have to say that I kind of agree with you about James Wolk? My perception of him is younger Kyle Chandler-lite based on the very short-lived Lonestar, but I remember seeing a super extended preview of the show before a movie this summer, and he cracked me up in a scene that involved Kelly Clarkson and a McDonald's pitch. I remember being like, "Who knew that cute Kyle Chandler-ish Lonestar guy could be funny?" I probably have a crush on him, and like I said, Buffy loyalty, so despite my inability to tolerate Robin Williams, I will probably record this show until it gets cancelled and then binge-watch one weekend.

Gillian

Back to top Go down

Post  Eris Rising on Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:37 pm

I also have an inability to tolerate Robin Williams, but this show plays to his strengths, so I was reluctantly impressed by it, though not overwhelmed.
Eris Rising
Eris Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  maxell131313 on Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:43 am

I liked it although I think it would have worked better if SMG had been a protégée of Williams' character rather than his daughter. Other than that I'll give it another try.
maxell131313
maxell131313

Back to top Go down

Post  Binky on Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:37 pm

blixie wrote:

I watched Anna Faris' Mom, because Anna Faris is fucking hilarious, and because Allison Janney is awesome, and that combined with the vestigial tail of Chuck Lorre's former talent, might yield a funny and smart tv show. It was very funny and even slightly poignant in places, but needs to ditch the entire work place aspect of the show, and focus on her AA multi generational extended family, especially her ex stoner baby daddy who had the best chemistry with her. And despite all the uneven brassy mulit camera chaos around her, Anna did indeed manage to be hilarious and hold the center. "It's CHRIST-Y!"
I wanted to like this (largely because of Allison Janney), but most of the pilot was uggggh. The baby daddy (Badger from Breaking Bad!) definitely provided the best moments. I'll try to have some patience. I despised New Girl when it started, and love it now.

I'm more optimistic about liking one of the new comedies, because to be honest I can't remember the last time I had any interest in a network drama (or that was destroyed by watching it). That sounds horribly pretentious, but it's true.
Binky
Binky

Back to top Go down

Post  SNeaker on Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:14 am

Brooklyn Nine Nine, yo. It's always a good sign when I laugh out loud even when I'm watching alone.

SNeaker

Back to top Go down

Post  Nerg on Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:52 pm

Agreed about Brooklyn Nine Nine. Chelsea Peretti dancing might be my new favorite thing. I just hope its terrible ratings are enough for Fox. It's up against The Voice, NCIS, and S.H.I.E.L.D. -- they have to cut it some slack, right? Plus it actually builds on its lead-in from Dads, so that's something I guess. I just don't want to see it be the next Ben and Kate (RIP).

Nerg

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next