Kpop

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Kpop

Post  Fiammetta on Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:14 pm

So if you haven't seen or heard Gangnam Style, you've been missing out. And it appears Psy has signed with Scooter Braun (the man who made the Bieb). I don't know whether to be happy for him, or worried. But I think Psy's big enough worldwide to be just fine, whatever happens over here. Oh, and if people could stop being so surprised that he speaks English? That would be good, thanks.

I haven't listened to Kpop for over a decade-- so I'm clearly out of the loop. Anyone here into it? Is there anything really good that I've been missing out on?

Fiammetta

Back to top Go down

Re: Kpop

Post  vwlphb on Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:54 pm

That song is constantly stuck in my head. (But that doesn't make me like it less.)

vwlphb

Back to top Go down

Post  puddingcup on Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:32 pm

I am enjoying all of the parody and spin off videos, like the metal version, and the gangnam mom videos (all on youtube). Also, the articles analyzing the song (in the Atlantic!) are entertaining, they are sometimes so dead serious about such a silly song. Don't really follow k-pop otherwise, but yeah, it's hard to avoid this song.

puddingcup

Back to top Go down

Post  Raksha on Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:05 am

The first time I heard Psy's song was on my Kingdom of Loathing clan radio and we all misheard the lyrics as "open condom store" and the DJs on that radio show made up this whole hilarious storyline for the music video about this guy's epic search for an open condom store so he could have sex with his boyfriend. Now I can't unsee that story every time I hear that song!

I loves me some Kpop, Fiammetta, so I can give you a brief crash course in what's going on now. Well, for the girl groups, anyway. I don't really care for the boys that much.

Girl's Generation (SNSD) are basically the queens of the scene right now. They're not actually one of my favorites, but they've got a few songs I like. "Run Devil Run" is good. The video for "Gee" is really cute. They're also doing really well in Japan right now, so they've re-recorded some of their songs in Japanese.

2NE1 is my absolute favorite group right now. They're awesome. I listen to "I Am the Best" and "Go Away" on an almost daily basis. I'm kind of obsessed with their new single "I Love You" at the moment too. They've also been active in Japan recently and have re-recorded some of their songs in Japanese. The youngest member of that group, Minzy (the one with the short black hair), gives me a lot of feelings. Everyone knows she's one of the best dancers in Kpop, but I think she's totally underrated as a vocalist.

f(x) are my other favorites. One of their members, Amber, is American and such a tomboy they just straight up dress her like a boy sometimes. She gives me a lot of feelings too. Anyway, I listen to "Nu ABO" and "LA chA TA" constantly. Their newer singles "Pinocchio (Danger)" and "Electric Shock" are fun too.

Wonder Girls are delightful. While these other groups have more of a sexy and/or cool image, Wonder Girls are more of a fun, cute group. Their videos often have some humor, like "So Hot". If I could dance even a little bit, I would totally learn the choreography to "Like This". They've been trying to break into the US lately, so some of their songs are entirely in English, like "Nobody". Also, they recently had a TV movie on on TeenNick. It was cheesy and predictable, but charming and I'm only a little embarrassed to admit I DVR'd that sucker. You can watch the whole thing at the TeenNick website here.

Miss A got a lot of attention for the choreography in some of their videos. The dance version for "Breathe" is hypnotic. I also like "Bad Girl, Good Girl" a lot. They've also got some songs entirely in English, like "Love Alone".

Rania is kind of trashy, but I kind of love them for it. I loves me some "Dr. Feel Good".

T-ara is in the middle of a scandal at the moment. Apparently, one of the members was ostracized and bullied really severely by the others and they eventually got her fired. They do some epic music videos that are really long and have involved storylines, like "Roly Poly" and "Day By Day".

After School did a cover of Morning Musume's "Love Machine" which they renamed "Dream Girl" (and took out the part about Japan's future being so bright it'll be the envy of the world XD). I quite like "Shampoo". I'm kind of bummed that Kahi left the group, because she was one of the better rappers of the Kpop girl groups (like in "Because of You"). They have a sub-unit comprised of 3 of their members called Orange Caramel that is doing really well right now, even though they're so agressively cutesy they might as well be a Jpop group. Luckily, I like Jpop too! I like their song "Magic Girl".

Oh, and speaking of rappers, E.via is one of the fastest rappers I've ever heard. Her first single was "Hey", which was fun. I really like "When You Have To" and "Oppa! Can I Do It?" (which is pure filth). Also, she collaborated with Sori and made a really pretty song called "Diary".

Well, that's about all the groups I really make a point to follow. Hope you like some of it!
Raksha

Back to top Go down

Post  Fiammetta on Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:26 am

Thanks, Raksha. That's a fantastic start, I'll be Youtubing for hours.

Fiammetta

Back to top Go down

Post  Arabella on Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:02 pm

I really like "I Love You".

PSY teaches Ellen and Britney the Gangnam Style dance

Arabella

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down