Les Miserables

Page 10 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Les Miserables

Post  ulkis on Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:39 pm

Frances Ruffelle (original Eponine) said in an interview she didn't know why and she figured it was just to give her more stagetime.

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  QueenSix on Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:05 pm

Finally got to see this film. I thought the final scenes with Jean Valjean and the revolutionaries was very stirring and affecting and I did tear up. But for the most part, I just got tired of seeing extreme close ups of everyone singing. It made for some very dull watching, except from Hugh Jackman and Anne Hathaway who emoted throughout. But Russell Crowe (whom I didn't mind all that much) just stood there when it was his turn and it made it feel a bit meh. Which I'm sorry about because I do like the musical and had gone in with an open mind.

It was a good film but it could have been better, and unlike other musicals over the past few years, I've seen it and that's it. It's not a must-buy or a film I'd want to see again.

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:35 pm

I got goosebumps as the movie began and was hoping the chills would be sustained throughout the entire film, but alas, that didn't happen. I thought the first hour was well-paced, but it did start to drag for me by the time Marius and the revolutionaries got underway. I wanted to absolutely adore this film, but I just couldn't. Russell Crowe was pretty decent in the talk-singy bits, but "Stars" fell completely flat, and that song is my jam so it was unbelievably disappointing. He just couldn't belt out the notes like he was supposed to. Hugh Jackman hit a few pitch problems as well, but overall, I thought he nailed the role of Valjean!
Spoiler:
Watching the movie really made me appreciate more what Valjean went through his whole life from being a prisoner to a man on the run always paranoid about being caught. It also made me feel for Cosette, who has always irked me. When I saw her as someone very sheltered and lonely because of her dad's past, and then also partly distanced from her own father who didn't want to tell her what he was running from, it definitely made me sympathize more with the character.

Speaking of Cosette, Amanda Seyfried looked gorgeous, but lordy, most of the singing was way above homegirl's register! She sang some of the lower notes beautifully, but all I could hear was her strangled vibrato in most of her parts, which is a shame because it really distracted me from the gorgeous lyrics and music. Eddie Redmayne was far beyond what I expected, but his voice got a tad Kermit-like when he had to go full-blast. It made me laugh inadvertently in most of his songs. "Empty Chairs" was amazing though! He emoted spectacularly, especially when he smiled sadly as he recalled his friends planning the revolution. On a final note, I giggled when I realized that Helena Bonham Carter looked like she did her own make-up and costuming. She was basically dressed as her kooky self the entire time. She and Sacha did make me laugh though, which was very much needed in that endlessly depressing 2.5 hours! And of course, Anne Hathaway killed her 15 minutes onscreen. Even if I anticipated her being that good, I was still blown away her performance. How could anyone watch her and not ache for Fantine and all the pain and humiliation she endured?

Oh, and I almost forgot to mention how I damn near threw up when I heard Colm Wilkinson's voice. It was just perfection to have him as the Bishop.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Tabby on Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:14 am

So, I'm the last person on the planet to see this. I was on the library waitlist for months, and got it this weekend.

Overall, I enjoyed it a lot (I watched it twice in one weekend). I didn't mind Russell Crowe's stoicism in the part, but I thought his voice was too weak for Javert. Hugh Jackman seemed to be pushing his range for some of Valjean's songs (which are pretty damn high); likewise Amanda Seyfried's Cosette. I have to say, though, I cared more about Cosette as Seyfried played her than I ever have before. Likewise Eddie Redmayne's Marius; "Empty Chairs at Empty Tables" put me in tears, which it's never done before. The various vocal weaknesses didn't put me off the movie, though.

The singing I enjoyed the most was from Anne Hathaway and Aaron Tveit. The actors playing Gavroche, Eponine, and young Cosette were all really good, too. I didn't care for Sacha Baron Cohen and Helena Bonham Carter's Thenardiers at all. They were over-the-top and clownish. I know they're the comic relief and all, but they're also evil, and the wacky pick-pocketing and stage business really put me off.

I hated all the extreme close-ups. I think it would have been horrible on the big screen; it was bad enough on my tv.

I loved that they cast Colm Wilkinson as the Bishop, and that he was in Valjean's death scene. I never had a problem with Eponine's being there - Valjean saved Marius's life, so she was there because of him, just as Fantine was there for Cosette. But having the Bishop welcome Valjean to the afterlife was pretty wonderful. Also, Colm Wilkinson! What's not to love?

After all these years, I still love the music and it still makes me cry.
Tabby

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

View previous topic View next topic Back to top