Post  Case on Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:12 am

big chicken wrote:No, Miss Saigon.

I'd be up for that!
Case

http://www.facebook.com/case.crum

Back to top Go down

Re: Les Miserables

Post  Guest on Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:58 pm

Poster for the Thenardiers. I just figure that's how Helena looks on an ordinary day.

The link also contains a better version of the Cosette/Marius poster.

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis on Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:10 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=PD8OWbrMi1E

new trailer

My only complaint is that I wish they left I Dreamed a Dream out of it, it was jarring with the other music

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis on Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:49 pm

And full trailer. tumblr link, I tried to find it on the movie's official site but I didn't see it. And you finally hear Crowe sing.

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  MLIS on Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:08 pm

Sigh. Crowe is going to ruin Stars, isn't he. My favourite song in the musical theatre canon, and he's going to ruin it.

Other than that, it looks really good and I am really excited about it. I am a little concerned by how much all of them seem to be speak-singing, even in One Day More, but I will reserve judgement for now and remain optimistic. Visually it's stunning.

MLIS

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:22 pm

I think, maybe, he is.

But we could be in for a surprise.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis on Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:47 pm

I don't think I've ever seen a movie trailer where all the major (female) roles get namechecked in the credits except for the biggest role, heh.

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  Grainne Mhaol on Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:08 pm

There are so many things that could go wrong with this that I remain anxiously optimistic. I finally caved and read the screenplay and was pleasantly surprised. There are a lot of elements that come straight from the book that I liked, such as
Spoiler:
Éponine being suddenly Gavroche's sister and Grantaire spending the entire battle in a drunken stupour, only to wake up and be awesome.

Thérnardier is painted as less the govial, comic character from the show and more the evil vulture from the book, which I like, if Sacha Baron-Cohen has the chops to pull it off. Hugh Jackman may surprise me, but I still have some major reservations about his voice. Russell Crowe and Helena Bonham-Carter are kind of wild cards for me. Who knows, they could steal the show.

If it's done right, it'll be amazing. For me, it all hinges on whether Eddie Redmayne manages to bring some likeability to that horrid little beast of a character that it Marius.
Grainne Mhaol

http://foodcultureinireland.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  MLIS on Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:18 pm

I love Hugh Jackman, but I remain unconvinced he has the vocal chops for Jean Valjean. I would have cast him as Javert, and think he would have been brilliant in that role. I am hoping to be pleasantly surprised by his Valjean (I'm sure the acting will be fine), but we'll see, I guess.

MLIS

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis on Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:16 am

I didn't really see the point of
Spoiler:
them bringing up that eponine and Gavroche are siblings
because unlike other stuff they're going back to the book for, there doesn't really seem to be a point since it's just one line, but I don't mind it per se.

if Sacha Baron-Cohen has the chops to pull it off

I think he can. i'll be surprised if he disappoints me.

I think Helena Bonham Carter has an absolutely atrocious voice, like not even "bad for Broadway" but just bad in general, but Mme Thenardier is much less challenging and a much smaller role than Mrs Lovett, so I think she'll be okay here.

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  inversed on Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:13 am

Ohhhh Russell Crowe, ouch. His voice does not sound powerful enough for Javert. But I'm still remaining optimistic. Why hire him if he couldn't cut it? I don't really think he's the box-office draw he used to be.

I cannot wait for this.

inversed

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile on Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:32 am

Sigh. Crowe is going to ruin Stars, isn't he. My favourite song in the musical theatre canon, and he's going to ruin it.

I knooooooww. My favorite song in the show from my favorite character, and it's going to be bad. I think I'm going to bring in my iPod and listen to Philip Quast's rendition when I see the movie.

At least Hathaway's going to be good. I want to give her the Oscar just from what I see in the *trailer.*
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran on Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:01 pm

I think Russell Crowe's voice is rough but I do think he can probably act the shit out of the part and that kinda makes it some what okay for me if that makes any sense? Plus with the cast they assembled I'm going to be hopefully optimistic. I don't think its going to be a Quast or Mann Stars but maybe they did something interesting with it.
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  MLIS on Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:08 pm

I love Quast's voice/performance, have seen other great Javerts on stage over the years, and Terry Mann is in my top five all time favourite actors, so of course I was going to be suspicious of whoever they cast in this role, but I've been *really* suspicious of Crowe all along (full disclosure, I don't like him as an actor or a person). I saw Mann sing the role on Broadway when he came back to close out the B'way production back in 2003 (OMG, has it really been almost ten years?) and just this spring I saw him in a "the music of Boublil and Schonberg" concert where he still brought me to tears with Stars. So, yeah, Crowe's going to have to be the biggest surprise of my life to win me over, but I suppose stranger things have happened. As Rachel Lynde says, you're never safe from surprises until you're dead.

I am really looking forward to the rest of it, though.

MLIS

Back to top Go down

Post  Matinee on Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:31 pm

MLIS wrote:I love Quast's voice/performance, have seen other great Javerts on stage over the years, and Terry Mann is in my top five all time favourite actors, so of course I was going to be suspicious of whoever they cast in this role, but I've been *really* suspicious of Crowe all along (full disclosure, I don't like him as an actor or a person). I saw Mann sing the role on Broadway when he came back to close out the B'way production back in 2003 (OMG, has it really been almost ten years?) and just this spring I saw him in a "the music of Boublil and Schonberg" concert where he still brought me to tears with Stars. So, yeah, Crowe's going to have to be the biggest surprise of my life to win me over, but I suppose stranger things have happened. As Rachel Lynde says, you're never safe from surprises until you're dead.

I am really looking forward to the rest of it, though.

Totally, totally agree. His casting is the only big problem I've really had. There's so much subtlety AND power needed for the role (especially for Stars!) and I'm just not convinced.

Matinee

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis on Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:01 pm

Maybe they'll change it to less bombastic original London recording/version of Stars?

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  MLIS on Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:29 pm

One thing I will say was that there was a phrase in the screenplay that gives me hope. Right before Stars it says something like "Javert has a God, too. This is his prayer." I don't remember the exact wording, but it was something like that. And I thought "ooh, that's perfect." So I have hope. But remain skeptical.

MLIS

Back to top Go down

Post  Case on Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:44 pm

This fourth (?) take of "I Dreamed A Dream" is my favorite.

I've heard angry Fantines, wistful Fantines, belting Fantines, sad Fantines, defiant Fantines, operatic Fantines...yet I don't think I've ever heard a Fantine that was actually filled with such overwhelming despair.
Hathaway is the first ever to remind me of Hugo's Fantine.

Case

http://www.facebook.com/case.crum

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:17 pm

Crowe looks exactly like how I'd imagine Javert, but I'm skeptical about his voice. I hope it can stand up against Hugh Jackman's when they have their standoff. (I sometimes think of NPH and Jason Segal singing that song together dramatically when I hear it, so I may be giggling in the theater a bit.)

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Francie Nolan on Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:42 pm

I keep taking quick peeks at the script but still haven't read the whole thing--I want to be at least a little surprised. For those who have read it, is anything major cut?

So has anyone else been listening to various recordings non-stop? I keep getting odd bits stuck in my head all the time--I've had the whole "It's the same with a tart as it is with a grocer" part in my head for days which is...odd.

Francie Nolan

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:27 pm

I'm gonna download the OLC and listen to it for a few weeks in anticipation of the film. I haven't listened to any recordings of the show in months!

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  inversed on Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:51 pm

I have the original London cast (I think? With Colm Wilkinson) but it gets stuck in my head so much that I actually have to be careful not to listen to it too often. A few weeks ago I couldn't sleep and "the blood of the martyrs will water the meadows of Fraaaaaance" just kept running through my head on repeat and I thought I was going to go mad.

inversed

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:56 pm

That's pretty much the only recording I've heard from start to finish. I've heard bits of foreign language recordings, including French, but the Original London Cast version is where it's really at, IMO!

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile on Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:29 pm

I have the 10th Anniversary concert version stuck in my head almost all of the time lately, and sometimes my mind will jump to "You had your foreman seeeeeeeend me awaaaaaaaaay, yes YOU were theeeeeere, and stood asiiiiiiide."
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  Grainne Mhaol on Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:46 am

I thought I was the only one. I'm obsessed with the 10th anniversary version, and there was a while when all I could think was 'Oh yes the virtuous Fantiiiiiiiiine.' I know I'm supposed to loathe the foreman character, but the singer is so fantastic that I get a swell of affection every time I hear him.
Grainne Mhaol

http://foodcultureinireland.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top