Les Miserables

Page 4 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Les Miserables

Post  punzy on Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:54 pm

queenofdenile wrote:I have the 10th Anniversary concert version stuck in my head almost all of the time lately, and sometimes my mind will jump to "You had your foreman seeeeeeeend me awaaaaaaaaay, yes YOU were theeeeeere, and stood asiiiiiiide."

I read this before going to bed last night. FYI, that was a mistake as I kept hearing it randomly as I was trying to fall asleep. And then it came back this morning. I may need to watch all of the concerts now.

punzy

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis on Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:14 pm

I keep taking quick peeks at the script but still haven't read the whole thing--I want to be at least a little surprised. For those who have read it, is anything major cut?

Don't think so, actually, but who knows if they've taken our anything since then. And they've changed the order of a couple of the songs.

I've been listening to the OLC a lot actually too. Still my probably my favorite recording.

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:27 pm

ulkis, doesn't one of Marius's friends sound like Ewan MacGregor in the OLC recording? I think it's "Drink With Me" or "Red and Black" where I noticed one of the guys sounds a lot like Ewan.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Francie Nolan on Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:37 pm

punzy wrote:
queenofdenile wrote:I have the 10th Anniversary concert version stuck in my head almost all of the time lately, and sometimes my mind will jump to "You had your foreman seeeeeeeend me awaaaaaaaaay, yes YOU were theeeeeere, and stood asiiiiiiide."

I read this before going to bed last night. FYI, that was a mistake as I kept hearing it randomly as I was trying to fall asleep. And then it came back this morning. I may need to watch all of the concerts now.

Oh God, now it's in mine too. "Is it true what I have done?"

The OLC is my favorite, because it's the first one I had, back in cassette days. The CD is in my car at all times and I've played it so many times that it skips at the "My dear we all must stay aliiiiive" part. The OLC "Confrontation" is my favorite, but I prefer Philip Quast's "Stars." I just wish it had more of the complete recording--The 10th Anniversary leaves much more in.

ulkis, doesn't one of Marius's friends sound like Ewan MacGregor in the OLC recording? I think it's "Drink With Me" or "Red and Black" where I noticed one of the guys sounds a lot like Ewan.

Is it the "It's better than an ope-e-rrrrra" guy? Love him!

Francie Nolan

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:27 pm

I heard the 10th Anniversary recording first, so that's always my go to version. I've only ever heard clips from the OLC via Pandora and I found the versions of "On My Own" and "I Dreamed a Dream" so annoying.

Maybe it's the fact that I heard it close on the heals of the 1998 film version, but I always think that Valjean actually does sound like Liam Neeson on the 10th Anniversary.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:32 pm

Francie Nolan wrote:

Is it the "It's better than an ope-e-rrrrra" guy? Love him!
YES, it's that guy! Glad someone knows who I mean so I don't seem completely crazy. I love him, too! His face always stands out to me in "Red and Black."

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Sheli on Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:41 pm

I was so glad when I married my husband and began celebrating Christmas with his family, and I never really missed my family's yearly tradition of going to the movies on Christmas Day - until now. My dad and I both love the OBC of this show and have seen it twice together when it came to Boston. I know he wants to see it opening day but he agreed to wait, so he could go see it with me. But I want to go that day too! Only I can't skip Christmas.

Does anyone know if there will be a midnight opening?

Sheli

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:42 pm

My family and I went to see the actual musical on Christmas a few years ago, and I look forward to now seeing the film in the theater on that same day this year!

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis on Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:56 pm

YES, it's that guy! Glad someone knows who I mean so I don't seem completely crazy. I love him, too! His face always stands out to me in "Red and Black."

That's Grantaire. :) He's the drunk.

One of my favorite concerts/groups is actually a concert from 1997, it has Ruthie Henshall AND Francis Ruffelle, so it is automatically my favorite, and I really like everyone else too. I love Colm Wilkinson, but imo he's not a great actor, and I like Michael Ball too but sometimes his voice is a little too sweet for me.

The One Day More from the concert

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:36 pm

Sheli wrote:Does anyone know if there will be a midnight opening?
You may have to check your local theater. Advance tickets are already available, but, at my three closest theaters, the earliest screentime is 11:40 AM on Christmas, according to Fandango.

Amazon is only showing a one CD highlights version of the soundtrack. Has anyone seen a complete soundtrack listing? Talkin' Broadway also only has the one CD listed.

In other news:
Second International Trailer, which contains some different footage.
Gold Derby, chatting Oscar Predictions, including Les Miserables's chances.
Beautiful photoshoot of the cast, in costume in Vogue. It's like Hugh Jackman is saying, "You know how handsome I am? I can wear *these* sideburns and still be handsome."

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:54 pm

ulkis wrote:

That's Grantaire. :) He's the drunk.
Ahhh, Grantaire, the world's loveliest drunk! And ummm, I meant his voice stands out to me, not his face. I clearly need to re-read before posting.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  big chicken on Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:32 am

The Hollywood Reporter's first impression of the film. Overall, things are looking good for the movie.

big chicken

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:45 am

I don't care if it even gets the worst reviews on the planet. I'm parking my ass in the theater on opening day to see this movie, no matter what!

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile on Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:56 pm

I'm sorry/not sorry at all I got the 10th anniversary songs stuck in your head last week (you're welcome).

One of my best friends saw a screening of the movie last night. She is a HUGE fan of the show and reports that the film is fantastic, with standout performances from Hathaway and Jackman (no surprises there) and Eddie Redmayne (perhaps more of a surprise), and that Russell Crowe and Stars were "okay" (sigh). She gave the movie as a whole an A+.
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  swsa on Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:33 pm

Eddie Redmayne is getting REALLY good notices so far. I'm honestly wondering if he might steal a Best Supporting Actor nomination away from Crowe. At the least, this is making me really excited for "Empty Chairs at Empty Tables."
swsa

Back to top Go down

Post  swsa on Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:59 pm

Double posting because CLIPS!

A Heart Full of Love!

Still not sold on Samantha Barks though.
swsa

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran on Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:01 pm

I love Eddie Redmayne and have for years and am so excited for the good reviews hes getting.
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys on Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:33 pm

OK. Amanda Seyfried's voice: Weird. Russell Crowe's voice: Not good and also why is he dressed like a turquoise elf? Everything else: AWESOME I CAN'T WAIT OMG I LOVE THIS SHOW SOOOOOOOO MUUUUUUUUUUUCH.
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  MLIS on Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:38 pm

Those clips are making me so excited. Amanda Seyfried has too much vibrato, but I can live with that. I remain unconvinced by Russell Crowe. Other than that? SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

MLIS

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis on Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:48 pm

Kinda weird how everyone is almost staring straight into the camera

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  punzy on Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:52 pm

I WANT TO SEE IT RIGHT NOW! Argh!

punzy

Back to top Go down

Post  katesti on Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:21 am

Holy crap, Hugh.

I AM SO EXCITED.

ALSO, hilariously, my toddler has randomly gotten obsessed with a DVD of a HS performance of Les Mis that my husband's coworker's daughter was in (follow that?), and likes to run around going "Les Mis! Les Mis! Les Mis!" I got out my CDs last night and it kind of blew her mind. However - NOT kid-friendly lyrics, turns out. Surprise!

katesti

Back to top Go down

Post  big chicken on Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:47 am

Samantha Barks has a lot of forehead acting going on there. It probaby works on stage but it's distracting here. I wish she'd had the time to do what Anne did and learn how to sing with a relaxed face.

Russell sounds like he's singing with a head cold. I don't like it at all.

big chicken

Back to top Go down

Post  Case on Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:17 am

I can't seem to find any information about the film's release date. All I keep seeing is the 25th of December, which is when the movie opens in what seems to be a very limited number of locations.
How do they expect the film to do well with a strategy like that?

When does it open nationwide in the U.S. anyway?

ETA: A poster on IMDb says the 25th is the wide release. Which is odd. I only see one theater listing in Alabama.
Case

http://www.facebook.com/case.crum

Back to top Go down

Post  Grainne Mhaol on Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:01 am

Samantha Barks: fantastic. Eddie Redmayne: wow, you might actually sell this character. He brings a lot of sweetness to the performance which might mitigate the essential awfulness of Marius. Amanda Seyfried: hmm, high pitched and weird. Russell Crowe: most surprisingly, he actually sounds really good. He has the intensity of Javert and sounds like he has been working hard on his voice. Anne Hathaway: could not be more excited. Hugh Jackman: I'm still not buying it. He sounds good in 'Look down' but there's a lot of breathiness and vibrato in 'Who am I?' Please don't ruin my favourite song.

All in all: squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.
Grainne Mhaol

http://foodcultureinireland.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top