The Mindy Project

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: The Mindy Project

Post  mokey75 on Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:23 pm

Oh good lord.
I thought maybe the break would give them a chance to find their way, but this first episode was a bit disappointing. Possibly because I haaaaaaaaaaate Casey. So much. He's such a jackass. I mean, he was even a jackass when he proposed to her, with that comment about her body type making him think she'd be a one-night stand. Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaate him.
mokey75

Back to top Go down

Post  puddingcup on Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:57 pm

Oh no, really? I really like this show, though I don't like Casey (I miss ***hole boyfriend Josh). Don't like Mark Duplass or his character either, but love the rivalry with the midwives. Ed Weeks is so funny, but underused, and Danny is ok, but I love Chris Messina. Who is Adam Pally? Who is his character? Didn't recognize him on imdb. I like how they address serious issues (race, religion, health care) through an air headed filter. Love Mindy's little brother.

puddingcup

Back to top Go down

Post  jstilwe on Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:05 pm

I still love the show. Yes, Casey is kind of a jerk, but Mindy's not exactly a saint, either. I don't really take the show too seriously in terms of character development, because I don't think the show's particularly interested in that. It hits the mark for me more often than not, and I appreciate its female-centric perspective. As for the body/weight jokes, they don't bother me simply because Kaling is writing/running the show, so I don't find it exploitative. It's so nice to see a larger woman on tv AND having an active sex life that I don't mind the occasional joke.

That said, I did have a moment of cognitive dissonance when all the women on the show reacted squinty James Franco as a super hot guy. Him? I did think he was funny, though.

ETA: Adam Pally was Max on the sadly departed Happy Endings.

jstilwe

Back to top Go down

Post  Binky on Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:23 pm

I like Adam Pally (though he does seem to play the same gay character a lot). I don't think the show needs a larger cast, though.

I thought the premiere was okay. But, I kind of think the show is okay. Not bad or good.

Chris Messina is freaking hot.
Binky

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie on Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:27 pm

Don't like Mark Duplass or his character either, but love the rivalry with the midwives.
Really? Mark Duplass is the only other character I find consistently funny, and I think he has great comedy chem with Mindy.

blixie
Mod Squad

http://thesnarkening.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  puddingcup on Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:37 am

Yes, really, and I didn't like him in Safety Not Guaranteed, and I like the League in spite of him. May be an unpopular opinion, but I can't stand his smugness.

puddingcup

Back to top Go down

Post  mokey75 on Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:23 am

jstilwe wrote:I still love the show. Yes, Casey is kind of a jerk, but Mindy's not exactly a saint, either. I don't really take the show too seriously in terms of character development, because I don't think the show's particularly interested in that. It hits the mark for me more often than not, and I appreciate its female-centric perspective. As for the body/weight jokes, they don't bother me simply because Kaling is writing/running the show, so I don't find it exploitative. It's so nice to see a larger woman on tv AND having an active sex life that I don't mind the occasional joke.
I didn't find it exploitative, per se, I just thought it was dickish thing to say in the middle of proposing to the woman you (allegedly) love. It just proved to me that he's a GIANT jackass at every moment, and she's so desperate to find someone (anyone, apparently), she doesn't even care. Or something. I dunno. I just think he's a holier-than-though chucklefuck in general, and he's given her very little reason to like him, so I don't get it.

We definitely need more Rishi, though. He's probably my favorite character on this show.
mokey75

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys on Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:30 am

I love Casey. I don't know why! I just do. I assume, though, that the show has an eventual endgame plan with Mindy and Danny, so every time he's on I'm just waiting for the shenanigans that will break them up to start. (I suppose it will have to do with her not going back to Haiti and maybe with the, as everyone has noted, strangely off-target plot thread of "let's pretend that James Franco is super hot.") (I have to say though that I appreciate that she ACTUALLY cut her hair and spent months in Haiti instead of that all getting reset at the end.)

I want to love this show, so badly, and I don't love it. I like it, but I don't love it. I sort of don't really like any of the characters/actors. It all feels like it's trying too hard for me. I have no idea why I think that. It's just never quite on for me. I feel like I can see the sausage being made and that magical cloud of the whole being greater than the sum of its parts just never really swirls up and covers the gears the way it's supposed to. And Mindy (WHOM I LOVE) says her lines too fast and it bugs me.

I'll keep watching it, probably forever, but it's one of those shows that I don't really get excited about. Even though she often has lines/bits that I am like "RIGHT ON, I love you Mindy Kaling" about. But it's an intellectual appreciation, when that happens. My heart hasn't gotten there. Keep going, guys. You're doing fine. It's not you, it's me.
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran on Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:18 pm

I actually love James Franco and think hes really good looking (even though I also think hes a pretentious ass who could do with more sleep and some under eye cream) and I actualyl thought he was really funny. I have a sad sad pathetic weakness for that douche though.

I think this show is the definition of 50% funny, 50% where are you going with this. The problem is with the exception Danny, the ensemble is underused and not given good enough material. I'm stunned that they don't push Betsy and Jeremy together more because they have a nice vibe. I like the new nurse but I'm not sure how she'll develop, etc.

I think part of the problem is that Mindy Kaling is so excited to have her own show and bring on her friends that...its hard for me to get invested? Like, I'm pretty sure Seth Rogen is not going to pause his really good film career to star on a low rated fox sitcom so....and that'd be fine, if it was one episode, but during the first season that seemed to be a huge pattern. Mindy gets love interests played by cool comedy guy, then he goes away. The only one that clicked for me was Josh and I think they wrote him off way to soon. I love her chemistry with Danny and I know thats endgame, but its hard for me to get invested in anything until then, because they don't develop it. And in the meantime they spend a lot of time developing that character for one episode but not really focusing on the ensemble. This show is missing that ability that a lot of shows have/had where they are able to balance that (Friends springs to mind, also 30 Rock, and Will and Grace). I think partially because they had defined and secured the ensemble before they were bringing in special guest stars each episode.

I don't hate Casey though. I think Anders Holm is really funny. I just like its been said and am like "oh...your not breaking up this episode? Weird."

Like...I think this show could be good? I want it to be good? I like Kaling, and I am a bitchy, frothy Indian girl. Its nice to see someone like me on tv. But....its just not connecting.

Also not to put this all on her, but...I find it kind of disappointing none of her countless love interests are ever anything but white.
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys on Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:26 pm

Kiran wrote:I actually love James Franco and think hes really good looking (even though I also think hes a pretentious ass who could do with more sleep and some under eye cream) and I actualyl thought he was really funny. I have a sad sad pathetic weakness for that douche though.
I still think he's good-looking, but I don't think he fits the need for someone that immediately registers as Universally Undeniably Super Hot that the gag, if you will, needed to work. I mean, obviously it's TV and if I ran into someone who looked like James Franco at my office or whatever I'd think he was insanely hot. But I don't think he's hot enough to register the way they seem to intend him to without some "this is the guy that we all think is super hot because you see in real life he's James Franco and James Franco is a known hot person so this guy is hot" explaining/indulging. Again, because it's TV. I did think he was funny, and if he was here just to be a kind of douchey, incidentally-actually-pretty-hot sex therapist I'd be on board with no reservations. I'm also one of the few who still pretty much like James Franco. But he walked in and I was like "Oy, he is not looking so good. ...Wait, he's the super hot guy that's going to make Mindy and Casey break up?" (I'm speculating)

The problem is with the exception Danny, the ensemble is underused and not given good enough material.
I never really noticed this before but you're totally right. On The Office, they had Michael and Jim and Pam who were sort of the main people, and then almost-main people like Dwight and Angela and Jan and maybe Ryan, and then another tier down were people like Kevin and Toby and Kelly and Meredith and Stanley and Creed. This show seems a bit to be about Mindy and maybe Danny and whatever guest star (I feel the same way about guest-star love interests: you know they're not going to stick around so it feels a little pointless story-wise even if it's fun to watch Seth Rogen or BJ Novak), and everyone else is sort of at Meredith level still. We need some Dwights. Morgan is sort of at that level but I still haven't warmed up to his character so maybe I'm dismissing him too much, I don't know.

This is all perception, so I don't know, maybe I'm way off/I'll change my mind next episode. I think the show still feels a bit not-fleshed-out to me, like a pilot, but it's the second season now. And I think the kind of deliver-one-line-and-then-leave feeling of the ensemble is part of that.

I really like the new nurse. Of course she's nothing but a one-liner factory at the moment, but I find her schtick funnier than most of the other cast so I hope she sticks around and gets developed a bit more.
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  Binky on Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:54 pm

That's a good point about it being such a large (and growing) cast, but not being ensemble. It's mostly Mindy/Guest star, and often Danny/Mindy at the opening and close.

That said, Mindy is getting some pretty awesome guest stars (Tim Olyphant!) who clearly aren't going to be regulars ever. But the rest of the cast is more set pieces than ensemble. It would be a much stronger show if they beefed up the rest of them, more Office-like.
Binky

Back to top Go down

Post  dionneshea on Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:14 pm

They really don't know how to use their cast, Danny and Morgan aside, so that should be the first thing they address. The only character they know what they want to do with is Danny, and Morgan gets a lot of airtime because Ike Barinholtz is a writer on the show. Jeremy and Betsy are both such fun characters when they do have something to do, they really need to get them front and center more often. I could stand with far less Morgan. If we never saw the midwives again it would still be too soon for me. I'm okay with Casey 'cause you can tell he's not endgame but in terms of ranking him amongst Mindy's paramours thus far, he's below Josh, Ed Helms, BJ Novak, Seth Rogen, both of the Meyers boys, and Jeremy for me. He's really only above the midwives. I think Josh was my favourite.

I think if they were going to add someone to the cast, they should've gone with Ellie Kemper. Her character made a good frenemy for Mindy. Or Rishi, 'cause Rishi is always good for a laugh. But before they go adding new people they have got to figure out what they're doing with the ones they already have.

That being said, aside from Parks and Rec, Mindy is the show that makes me laugh the most these days, so I really want it to get itself straightened out so it sticks around a few more years.
dionneshea

Back to top Go down

Post  ActonBell on Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:39 pm

It's just never quite on for me. I feel like I can see the sausage being made and that magical cloud of the whole being greater than the sum of its parts just never really swirls up and covers the gears the way it's supposed to. And Mindy (WHOM I LOVE) says her lines too fast and it bugs me.
ITA with all of this. I'm continuing to watch a little while longer because a lot of sitcoms take some time to come together -- Parks and Rec didn't start getting good until the second season. I didn't love the first episode of this season, but I'm holding out hope that it could still end up improving?
ActonBell

Back to top Go down

Post  mokey75 on Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:12 am

Sooo, we finally get rid of StupidCasey, and now we have a new guy who thinks she's shallow and who she's going to fall in love with? Awesome. Sorry, Mindy. Ginsberg* is no StupidCasey, and I will never choose you over him.

*I can't be bothered to learn his character's name, because he's not going to be around long enough for me to care.
mokey75

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran on Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:33 am

I get the feeling hes only going to be around a couple episodes because they seem to be setting up Glen Howerton as her major love interest this season.
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  Shalamar on Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:53 am

Those photos of Danny were ... rather nice.
Shalamar

Back to top Go down

Post  nikita on Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:15 pm

Yes. Yes, they were.

nikita

Back to top Go down

Post  Binky on Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:14 am

While I applaud Mindy Kaling's choice to provide shirtless Timothy Olyphant last week, this week's episode was by far the strongest show in a while. No one-off guest stars. I laughed quite a bit.
Binky

Back to top Go down

Post  puddingcup on Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:22 am

I'm rewatching it now! I loved it. Chris Messina was so good. The texting plot was pretty funny. My only complaint was no Jeremy Reed. I'm afraid the new doctor is taking over his screen time.

Oh, and that was such a weird throwaway line in Heather's voicemail to Mindy, that she wished that they had talked more and that Mindy had looked really pretty. ?!?

puddingcup

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys on Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:31 am

I think it was just showing that she was faking like she remembered talking to Mindy even thought she didn't (obviously, since Mindy wasn't there) and she tried to give herself a little insurance by saying she looked pretty, which was a comically transparent lie since she couldn't have seen her since she wasn't there.

I liked it too! Actually I've liked the last few weeks. I loved the skateboarding guy one.
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran on Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:16 pm

I have too. I think Adam Pally has added a lot to the ensemble too. And I'm not even a huge fan of his (when it came to Happy Endings male cast members I was team Damon Wayans Jr.)
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  Binky on Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:32 pm

Kiran wrote:I have too. I think Adam Pally has added a lot to the ensemble too. And I'm not even a huge fan of his (when it came to Happy Endings male cast members I was team Damon Wayans Jr.)
I didn't like him initially (adored him on Happy Endings), but he grew on me a lot this episode. They do seem at a loss as to what to do with handsome British doctor, though. He was funnier when he was a douchier.
Binky

Back to top Go down

Post  puddingcup on Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:08 pm

I don't know Adam Pally from anything else, but I don't like his addition. I did like him in this episode, but I think anyone could have taken over his part in the plot line - Jeremy, Tamra, or even Betsy. I think they were going in an interesting way with Jeremy last season - womanizer on top, daddy/brother issues underneath, but this season the weight gain story seems so random and the character has become much more tedious, with less to do. I loved that episode last season when he was giving Morgan woman pick up tips. Plus his Britishisms are funny in how they reinforce and subvert stereotypes at the same time. Adam Pally just feels like they are adding way more testosterone to an already male-heavy OBGYN workplace.

Winkyface!

puddingcup

Back to top Go down

Post  dionneshea on Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:28 pm

I agree with puddingcup. I also don't know Adam Pally from anything and I've found him annoying and unnecessary. I didn't want to actually see his character killed off in a bloody, horrific, permanent way last night as I have every other episode he's been on, but I would still like him to take a long walk off a short pier.

The Mindy stories have been pretty good this year, as have the Danny ones. I think Betsy's had maybe one line so far. Jeremy hasn't had a story that hasn't been with Adam Pally (I don't know his character's name and can't be bothered to look), so I really can't judge because of the wanting him to die constantly whenever he's onscreen. Tamra's gotten a little more time and she's kind of amusing. Morgan also needs to step back. I think that's another problem I have with the Adam Pally character: He's very similar to Morgan whom I already thought was getting twice the amount of screen time than he should and now there's two of them taking up all the screen time.

They really aren't great at writing for the female characters, Mindy aside, or writing for an ensemble. You'd think with all her years on The Office, at least the latter would be something that Mindy Kaling would have picked up.
dionneshea

Back to top Go down

Post  choubetcha on Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:54 am

Nooooo, Mindy's getting bumped in February for Glee.

Supposedly coming back after Brooklyn Nine Nine finishes its run, but Fox switches their schedule around so much that who knows? I know Mindy can be REALLY uneven, but it's one of my favorite shows.

choubetcha

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top