Elementary

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Elementary

Post  Lily Rose on Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:50 pm

Sherlock Holmes is in New York, has tattoos and Watson is a GIRL OMG. Starring Johnny Lee Miller and Lucy Liu.

I really liked the premiere and have high hopes that it will continue to be pretty and entertaining. Apparently got good ratings too.

Lily Rose

Back to top Go down

Re: Elementary

Post  Unlucky Bear on Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:16 pm

I thought the murder plotline in the pilot was waaaaaaay too far-fetched, but I liked it well enough. Scruffy, tattooed Jonny Lee Miller pleases me. I'll keep watching, because I can't conceive not watching Sherlock Holmes on my TV.
Unlucky Bear
Official Succubus

Back to top Go down

Post  Raksha on Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:26 pm

I thought it was delightful. I really love Johnny and Lucy in these roles and I'm really looking forward to seeing more of them. I love mysteries (far fetched or not), but most of what passes for mysteries on TV these days are procedurals, which I generally find really boring. So I'm excited about this show!

Also, who wants to make a bet that the woman in London who was involved in Sherlock hitting rock bottom is Irene Adler?
Raksha

Back to top Go down

Post  Lily Rose on Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:35 pm

She was totally Irene Adler. No way it wasn't.

Lily Rose

Back to top Go down

Post  Fiammetta on Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:59 pm

I have trouble separating this from BBC's Sherlock, which is just so clever and sharp (and yeah I know, 3 movie-length eps versus however many eps per season, etc.). As someone who imprinted heavily on the books at a young age, Jonny Lee Miller doesn't strike me as really being a Sherlock Holmes, no more than RDJ's movie version does. But he's definitely interesting to watch.

I'll watch a couple more episodes, to give it a chance.

Fiammetta

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran on Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:10 pm

I totally called her as Irene Adler too but I think it would be fun if she turned out to be a female Moriarity.
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  Unlucky Bear on Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:52 pm

YES. I so love that.
Unlucky Bear
Official Succubus

Back to top Go down

Post  Lily Rose on Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:16 am

Ooh, I like that idea even more.

Lily Rose

Back to top Go down

Post  QueenSix on Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:54 am

It's starting here next month but I, um, acquired the pilot episode and watched it yesterday because I couldn't wait and was a bit peeved that everybody would be talking about something relevant to my interests weeks before me. I liked it too. It was interesting to see a different take on the character. Cutebutpsycho made the point to me that JLM's Holmes seemed to be a bit warmer and I thought that too. I like the energy between Sherlock and Lucy Liu's Watson. I don't mean that in a shipping way or OMG She totally lurves him! type, but the relationship there is different from the outset to when it's a male/male pairing and so is the energy.

Oh and yay for Aidan Quinn. He's kind of a local boy, having Irish heritage and making a film here some years ago, so nice to see him on screen again.

I'll definitely be watching this.

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:51 pm

I thought it was terrible. There was no wit, and the pacing was just awful. I kept thinking it was about to be over, and it just kept going. I almost didn't make it to the end. The production seemed amatuerish to me.

Also, Jonny Lee Miller doesn't strike me as cerebral. I have trouble believing that *this* is not only the smartest guy in the room, but one of the smartest guys, anywhere. He didn't seem like his mind is turned up to eleven all the time, which is something that Brett did and Cumberbatch and Downey do. Actually, I kept wondering if Lucy Liu should have been cast as Holmes.

All of that is on top of the problems I knew about going into it, like removing Watson's veteran background or making it yet another show about a competent woman babysitting a manchild.

All that being said, if Kiran turns out to be right and the woman was a female Moriarty and not The Woman, I'd be willing to give it another chance.

Back to top Go down

Post  Lily Rose on Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:20 pm

Amazon Instant Video has the pilot available for free download now.

Lily Rose

Back to top Go down

Post  Cutebutpsycho on Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:32 pm

I enjoyed it. It's not going to be Sherlock, it's a completely different animal and I'm fine with that. Sherlock is basically 90 minute movies that they can do, which affects things.

But I like that JLM's Holmes is warmer with his emotions. On the scale of things, I always see Cumberbatch's Sherlock as younger and brattier and JLM's just seems like the older, wiser one (perhaps because he got burned by a woman or The Woman or even Moriarty?). RDJ's Holmes to me is the cracked-out coke fiend that I also picture too. But keep in mind, I consider the Great Mouse Detective, Sherlock Hound, Sherlock Hemlock and now Sherlock Gnome as legit parts of the universe too.

I like that they did the noticing differently than with Sherlock -- it's just quick camera cuts to the things and that works just as well as the text on screen for me.

Lucy Liu as Watson makes sense to me (but I could also see her as Holmes too) and there's just something about the way she acts -- a small subtle smile, a vocal inflection, that I really do enjoy. And the whole exasperated expression during the ending scene made me grin.

But my big worry is that it's just going to get lost among the crime procedurals that CBS is chock full of. Right now I'm thinking it's kind of like a modern version of Granada, where the mysteries and everything are just in these delightful little bite sized chunks that you can snuggle up with.
Cutebutpsycho

Back to top Go down

Post  puddingcup on Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:36 pm

I thought it was just ok, but it's just the pilot, so...hopeful? I love the points about JLM not seeming smart enough, LL as a better Holmes, and especially, Moriarty as the woman who messed Holmes up!

puddingcup

Back to top Go down

Post  xyzzy on Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:44 am

I liked it. I've enjoyed so many Sherlock adaptations that I recently tried to re-read some of the stories--holy hell, Holmes is a total asshole, and I'd completely forgotten. There's always *something* redeemable in the filmed Sherlocks, but I've decided that the written Sherlock shall waste no more of my time.

I like JLM a lot more than I thought I would, but I'm not completely sold on Ms. Liu. This is definitely getting at least 6 episodes from me, though.
xyzzy

Back to top Go down

Post  bookworm on Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:02 am

I think tonight's episode was better than the last two. I liked the interaction between Holmes and Watson, it felt more organic, and I especially liked wee Moriarty. I'm growing on the whole sobriety thing bringing them together.
bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post  Lily Rose on Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:18 am

I WANT to keep liking it, but it's feeling very "CBS Procedural Show #3632, This Time With Sherlock Holmes" right now. I figured out that the kid was the killer like two minutes after he appeared, and I should not be smarter than Sherlock.

I still enjoy the scenes of Holmes and Watson hanging out and needling each other into solving crimes (and also shirtless JLM, oh yes), but the show needs to step it up.

Lily Rose

Back to top Go down

Post  Cutebutpsycho on Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:00 pm

I'm perfectly happy with this, but I don't watch that many procedural shows, so this is all new and fun for me still. And well, if they keep it up with shirtless JLM, I will be happy. Hell, we could have an hour of shirtless Holmes snarking with Watson and I will be pleased. For lo, I am shallow like a kiddie pool.
Cutebutpsycho

Back to top Go down

Post  bookworm on Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:46 pm

I agree that it isn't as much of a mental workout as the bbc show, but it is different from CSI and Hawaii 50 in that the actors are actually good. I think the relationship between Watson and Holmes is the center of any Sherlock adaptation of any period, and I like how they've done it here. I enjoy that Watson holds her own with the snarkiness, and you can see that she actually has a place in his life other than chief woobie.
bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post  Cutebutpsycho on Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:54 pm

But you know what? I like that it's not trying to be as clever as the BBC show. It's a lot like Murder She Wrote or even the Granada series (yes, I went there) in how cozy it is for an hour show. It's something that you can watch while doing your knitting, laugh and just enjoy. And there's nothing wrong with that at all, which is what I love about it already.
Cutebutpsycho

Back to top Go down

Post  truecrystal on Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:34 am

I agree. I've never seen the BBC show and I absolutely HATED the RDJ movies, but I like this. I think JLM is doing a great job (and lord knows he's elevating the material), and I really like the vibe between him and Watson. It's their connection that holds my interest which I think is the measure of a good procedural since every murder plot has been done to death.

truecrystal

Back to top Go down

Post  Lily Rose on Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:06 am

I think my issue is that I want to skip ahead to about 6-8 episodes in, where Holmes and Watson have more of an established relationship. I want to see more of the two of them interacting and less of bland mysteries. But they are detectives, so I might be screwed there.

Lily Rose

Back to top Go down

Post  rivki8699 on Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:13 pm

Last night's episode was amazing.
rivki8699

Back to top Go down

Post  Lily Rose on Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:57 pm

I really enjoyed it, also. JLM almost crying did me in. Can't take it!

Lily Rose

Back to top Go down

Post  Charishawk on Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:11 am

And lo, I do return to the ranks of active snarkers to say: I continue to enjoy this show. I like the little subplot about where Watson's going in this last ep.

Also, I've watched Sherlock, too, and while I appreciate some things about it, I can't really get into it because a) Sherlock is so very emotionless (even Holmes in the stories cared about some people and stuff) and b) he's SUCH. A. DICK. Like, if I could pause every few minutes and punch him in the face, it would be a much more enjoyable viewing experience. Heh.

I think the Sherlock mysteries are possibly slightly more engaging - but Elementary more than makes up for that in the fact that I actually like watching the characters and care what happens to them.

Anyway. Woo, Elementary!

Charishawk

Back to top Go down

Post  bookworm on Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:19 am

Oh I agree. The mysteries aren't on the same level, but I actually care more about these characters. I think I like that Sherlock and Jane have this evolving relationship. They're not best buds yet, and I like how the relationship is developing. With the Sherlock series, the first episode was the development of the relationship, but the others really weren't as much.
bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top