Downton Abbey (US version)

Page 7 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Downton Abbey (US version)

Post  mialoubug on Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:32 pm

I really don't like Bates. I think his character is skin-crawlingly creepy. I honestly think that he did kill his wife and got away with her murder. I just really don't like or trust him and find him more than a bit disturbing.
mialoubug

Back to top Go down

Post  MLIS on Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:44 pm

I really think the loss of Matthew has left such a big hole I'm not sure the show can recover. I mean, once Dan Stevens decided to leave the show they had to kill him off -- recasting or writing him out wouldn't have worked -- but it makes such a difference. I've been rewatching the third season and even with the endless prison storyline and the agony of Sybil's death, there is still a warmth and a sense of hope and progress, and a lot of that is in Matthew's interactions with everyone. Not just Mary, but his support of and friendship with Edith and Branson, his affectionate relationship with his own mother, the respect and mutual admiration with Cora and Robert, and his fond bemusement with the Dowager. This season, without that warmth and affection at the heart of many scenes, along with EVERYONE being in mourning all season, the unpleasantness of Anna and Bates' storyline, the awkwardness of Mosely getting dumped on time and again (is it supposed to be funny? Because it's just sad), and Edith's affair going nowhere good that I can see (I'm not spoiled, so maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised?), is just unhappy and dark. No one is happy, and there is no light or joy.  I really haven't liked this season at all.

MLIS

Back to top Go down

Post  mrinsouciance on Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:54 pm

I'm wondering if the card huckster Gregson exposed enacted some sort of revenge on him. Or maybe he's off getting German citizenship?

I hadn't thought of the writing being lazy, but now that you mention it I might have to agree with you. While I'm glad at least part of the Anna/Bates situation is resolved, it did get handled somewhat abruptly. Honestly, I've thought Bates was sort of creepy for quite awhile, myself.

For all his mustache twirling, Thomas is a pretty lame villain and I wouldn't be surprised if Baxter ends up playing him by the time it's all said and done.

I got a kick out of Carson's huffy incredulity over Moseley, and another epic eyeroll from the doctor courtesy of Isobel.

mrinsouciance

Back to top Go down

Post  Carrie Ann on Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:30 pm

This episode really was the last straw for me with Bates/Anna. I've been sick of their story since end of Season 1, but now we're into truly awful territory. Oh, you love your wife MORE now that she's been raped? Oh really? Because now she's "holier" and more beautiful to you? Vomit everywhere.

I feel like Thomas isn't really a villain anymore, but maybe I'm wrong. Yeah, he stirred the pot a little with Edna/Anna, but otherwise, it sort of seems like he's gotten a nice woman a job and fed her a few lines to make her ingratiated with the family and other servants. Not too devious. He got that awful nanny fired, and ended up disliking Edna anyway, which all right-thinking people do. So he's cool in my book these days.

Speaking of Thomases, Branson is sort of the only bright spot on the show for me right now. As I think I said here last season, I really couldn't stand Branson until Sybil died. I hated their dynamic and since all of his interactions were with her or about her, he felt very one-note and that note was obnoxious. But now I really like him and his friendship with Mary. I just hope they can pull more actual drama out of his man-without-a-country status, instead of just having him mope about it.
Carrie Ann

Back to top Go down

Post  puddingcup on Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:22 am

Carrie Ann wrote:I really couldn't stand Branson until Sybil died. I hated their dynamic and since all of his interactions were with her or about her, he felt very one-note and that note was obnoxious.
Yup, me too. I thought it was a pretty unpopular opinion, since I read so many comments about how great Sybil and Branson were. Sybil was a very nice lady, but could also be pretty irritating. Branson was unbearable with her. I've really liked him without her, and there are a lot of interesting story lines they could have for him. I'm hoping for better than just Moody Branson. Can't they home grow him into being a really great estate manager (in spite of the fact that he has no experience in the area)? In addition to his relationship with Mary, I liked the way he was with Mrs Hughes.

I was surprised at how happy Mary was to see Evelyn Napier, after what happened last time he stayed at Downton. But I guess Gillingham getting engaged really got her down.

Can't Edith catch a break? Though I suppose out of the 3 possible pregnancies that could have resulted from the last episode, Edith's is the easiest to take? (I haven't been spoiled, I'm not saying that Edith is pregnant, just that they have hinted it is possible.)

If Alfred and Daisy were to ever be a couple, would they have the greatest height difference of any potential couple on the show? The actor who plays Alfred is so huge, and Daisy is so wee.

puddingcup

Back to top Go down

Post  Heather on Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:07 pm

I feel like every bland dude they bring on for Mary will be filler until she and Branson realize they're in love. Right? PLEASE.

I do have one question, though. Mary asked Tom if he thinks Sybbie is having a nice childhood, and his answer was to say that MARY is doing the best she can? Did I hear that right? Am I misremembering the line, or the use of a pronoun? Because I wouldn't think it would be Mary's responsibility to give Sybil a good childhood, as much as, to be a nice auntie while also taking care of her own son. The line struck me weird at the time and I can't entirely remember it now.

Heather

Back to top Go down

Post  themis on Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:27 pm

mialoubug wrote:I really don't like Bates.  I think his character is skin-crawlingly creepy.  I honestly think that he did kill his wife and got away with her murder.  I just really don't like or trust him and find him more than a bit disturbing.
I read your post and then I looked for the "like" button. I felt for him back in season one, when he was limpy and being picked on, but since then he has slowly, very slowly, become more and more unsettling and off-putting to me. Maybe he didn't kill his wife, whatever, but I wish they'd just write him into the wallpaper. Send him off to manage a farm, or something.

themis

Back to top Go down

Post  mrinsouciance on Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:36 pm

Heather wrote:I feel like every bland dude they bring on for Mary will be filler until she and Branson realize they're in love. Right? PLEASE.

Oh, I am so there with you. Downton power couple of the future! Of course they'd have to fit Robert with a straitjacket, which would be all sorts of fun, what with the estate going to a HALF CATHOLIC couple.

mrinsouciance

Back to top Go down

Post  dionneshea on Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:59 pm

mrinsouciance wrote:
Heather wrote:I feel like every bland dude they bring on for Mary will be filler until she and Branson realize they're in love. Right? PLEASE.

Oh, I am so there with you.  Downton power couple of the future!  Of course they'd have to fit Robert with a straitjacket, which would be all sorts of fun, what with the estate going to a HALF CATHOLIC couple.
It NEEDS to happen!
dionneshea

Back to top Go down

Post  maxell131313 on Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:22 pm

I want an entire episode from the POV of Violet. A solid hour of the Dowager Countess and whatever snappy zingers she can fire off at whoever happens to be in her line of vision. I know it'll never happen but if someone could lock Julian Fellowes in a room until he can get a script written I'd be much appreciative, KTHNX.

Little Sybbie saying "Uh oh!" when her blocks fell down was the cutest thing ever on this show.

Mary needs to start giving Robert an allowance and see how long it takes him to hang on to the money. My guess is that it would be gone before she left the room.
maxell131313

Back to top Go down

Post  snorf on Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:45 pm

I really think the loss of Matthew has left such a big hole I'm not sure the show can recover. I mean, once Dan Stevens decided to leave the show they had to kill him off -- recasting or writing him out wouldn't have worked

See I think I'm in the minority but I would have been fine with a recasting, precisely for all the reasons you then listed. It's like when the character left, the glue that held it all together dissolved and we were left with characters randomly smushing into each other trying to work.

snorf

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys on Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:01 pm

maxell131313 wrote:Mary needs to start giving Robert an allowance and see how long it takes him to hang on to the money.  My guess is that it would be gone before she left the room.
Oooh, I REALLY want that to happen. It so would. Stupid Robert.
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  Shadowlass on Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:06 pm

snorf wrote:
I really think the loss of Matthew has left such a big hole I'm not sure the show can recover. I mean, once Dan Stevens decided to leave the show they had to kill him off -- recasting or writing him out wouldn't have worked

See I think I'm in the minority but I would have been fine with a recasting, precisely for all the reasons you then listed. It's like when the character left, the glue that held it all together dissolved and we were left with characters randomly smushing into each other trying to work.

Yeah, I would have been fine with recasting as well. Personally, I privilege story above actors; I'd rather see the original storyline play out with a different actor than have plotlines rejiggered for years.

I do think some actors are irreplaceable in some roles, but I don't think Dan Stevens was.

Shadowlass

Back to top Go down

Post  mrinsouciance on Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:17 pm

In many ways, Matthew was the character that got along with everyone, and vice-versa. He tended to mediate and smooth over all the differences. With him suddenly missing, there's nobody there to keep them all from turning on one another, in matters both large and small.

mrinsouciance

Back to top Go down

Post  maxell131313 on Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:26 pm

mrinsouciance wrote:In many ways, Matthew was the character that got along with everyone, and vice-versa.  He tended to mediate and smooth over all the differences.  With him suddenly missing, there's nobody there to keep them all from turning on one another, in matters both large and small.

Isn't that kind of Tom's role now? I mean, it seems to have fallen to him, anyway. Now that the Crawleys have seemingly accepted Tom as a member of the family I've noticed how he has de facto become the peacemaker/mediator/hostage negotiator. I don't think he wants the title what with his talk about moving to America but, just as Matthew was, he's the outsider that's become indispensable to them all. And while Robert would rather cut out his own tongue with a rusty butter knife than admit it, he needs Tom at Downton, too.
maxell131313

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:27 pm

Also a vote for recasting. I think the idea that a role is somehow sacrosanct for any role or any actor is silly.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  Carrie Ann on Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:30 pm

I do have one question, though. Mary asked Tom if he thinks Sybbie is having a nice childhood, and his answer was to say that MARY is doing the best she can? Did I hear that right? Am I misremembering the line, or the use of a pronoun? Because I wouldn't think it would be Mary's responsibility to give Sybil a good childhood, as much as, to be a nice auntie while also taking care of her own son. The line struck me weird at the time and I can't entirely remember it now.
YES to Mary and Tom. I kinda felt silly shipping it, but no more!

And you didn't mishear that Sybbie line--Tom did say that Mary was doing the best she can. It seems like maybe they're already sort of co-parenting the babies, so I mean...why not just make it official?
Carrie Ann

Back to top Go down

Post  puddingcup on Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:17 pm

Interesting! I never even thought about recasting for Matthew. I would have put a vote in for JJ Feild, because he should be in more things.

puddingcup

Back to top Go down

Post  naughty zoot on Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:02 pm

I thought Tom meant "you" more as the family you, not Mary. As the family has given Sibbie the best childhood she can have under the circumstances.
naughty zoot

Back to top Go down

Post  Heather on Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:06 pm

Also a vote for recasting. I think the idea that a role is somehow sacrosanct for any role or any actor is silly.

I agree to a point, but I think if they HAD recast Matthew, people might have been surprised to find how much they linked Dan Stevens to it. Recasting Sybil would've worked for me, but I think Matthew and Mary are too important to recast. i think there would be a REVOLT if Michelle Dockery left and they recast Mary; ditto even some of the others, like Cora. Basically, I think whatever the show did with Matthew, everyone would've yearned for the opposite -- which is a good thing for the show because it means people are invested.

Heather

Back to top Go down

Post  snorf on Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:26 pm

I think season 4 was so depressing that if Fellows turned around and did a "LOL just kidding it was all a dream!" reset, with a new Mathew I would be...not OK with it, but definietly more forgiving than normal.

I think I read too much fanfic.

snorf

Back to top Go down

Post  mrinsouciance on Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:31 pm

Based on the hints dropped in the last episode, I'm thinking the problems with the American side of the family are related to the Teapot Dome scandal.

mrinsouciance

Back to top Go down

Post  inversed on Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:17 am

Holy crap, Mrs. Hughes has the most stone-cold death glare I have ever seen. I was half-expecting her to take one of those poles and beat the scumbag to death.

And Rose, seriously, the man you're asking to kiss you? He could be murdered for that where he comes from. So cut him some slack! (That said, I think they are super cute together and I want them to have a scandalous romp around London together.)

I'm 100% pro-choice but I'm really glad Edith didn't have the abortion. She said herself it's a "wanted child" so I would hate for her to have gone through with it just for fear of scandal. I mean, it's not like Downton hasn't dealt with scandal before. MARY SEXED A DIPLOMAT TO DEATH, EDITH.

inversed

Back to top Go down

Post  philophobe on Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:29 am

inversed wrote:Holy crap, Mrs. Hughes has the most stone-cold death glare I have ever seen. I was half-expecting her to take one of those poles and beat the scumbag to death.  

She is so awesome.  I was cheering and totally wanted her to beat him to death.  I also loved the Dowager's "goody!" so much that I giggled aloud.

philophobe

Back to top Go down

Post  mrinsouciance on Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:15 pm

I think Mr. Green is not long for this world, and sooner rather than later.

Poor Edith. As others here have observed, she has fallen victim to the "having sex = disaster" rule at Downton Abbey.

mrinsouciance

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top