Downton Abbey (US version)

Page 8 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Downton Abbey (US version)

Post  LadyGayle on Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:18 pm

YOU GUYS. How come no one told me the Fug Girls are recapping Downton? This delights me. Allow me to quote the ever-hilarious Jessica:

And then Evelyn will be in love with Mary but married to Edith and Edith will be married to Evelyn but in love with Gregson, and Gregson will still be a Nazi OR a British spy, but either way, he'll still be married to Mrs Rochester up in the attic.

LadyGayle

Back to top Go down

Post  inversed on Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:57 am

Okay, that last scene made me forget all the things I did not like about this season.

inversed

Back to top Go down

Post  mrinsouciance on Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:03 pm

That was the best season ending scene they've done. It's ironic that Julian decided to have a feel good happy-happy season finale this time.

mrinsouciance

Back to top Go down

Post  Shadowlass on Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:08 pm

I like the character of Cora's mother, but Shirley MacLaine is strangely awful in the role.

Shadowlass

Back to top Go down

Post  Tabby on Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:19 pm

I like the character of Cora's mother, but Shirley MacLaine is strangely awful in the role.
On the other hand, I loved Paul Giamatti as Harold.

What a delightful episode. And I don't think I've ever seen so many tiaras all at once. Sparkly!
Tabby

Back to top Go down

Post  inversed on Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:18 pm

On a scale from one to Dumbleron, how crazy is my theory that Rosamund is actually Edith's mother?

inversed

Back to top Go down

Post  mrinsouciance on Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:25 pm

That certainly never occurred to me.

mrinsouciance

Back to top Go down

Post  jstilwe on Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:47 pm

I rate that 0.7 Dumbleron. It's a fun idea, but I lean towards no, simply because I think there would've been more of a hint during the Edith pregnancy drama. Fellowes is not exactly subtle.

jstilwe

Back to top Go down

Post  Shadowlass on Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:12 pm

jstilwe wrote:I rate that 0.7 Dumbleron. It's a fun idea, but I lean towards no, simply because I think there would've been more of a hint during the Edith pregnancy drama. Fellowes is not exactly subtle.

I don't know, there were some very weighty pauses in the Edith/Rosamund scenes. Especially when Edith said something like, "You don't know, you've never had a child!" or something like that.

I'm also enjoying Paul Giamatti. Next season I'd like 85 percent less of Lady's Mary's many suitors and more Giametti, please.

Shadowlass

Back to top Go down

Post  inversed on Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:18 am

That's what I thought, Shadowlass. Rosamund also made some comment alluding to difficulties she'd had in her past. I thought, "Why doesn't she just tell Edith if she's been through this before?" and then my brilliant theory came to me. It might also explain why Cora and Robert have always treated Edith like an afterthought.

Either way, regardless of the wisdom of Rosamund's suggestions, I'm glad Edith has her to confide in.

inversed

Back to top Go down

Post  Heather on Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:52 pm

On a scale from one to Dumbleron, how crazy is my theory that Rosamund is actually Edith's mother?

Here is why I don't think that's the case: Because it's BRILLIANT and would be FABULOUS. For as soapy as we all WANT Downton to be, the show does not seem to have all-the-way instincts when it comes to that.

Heather

Back to top Go down

Post  Poubelle on Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:25 am

Bumping up this thread to say: LEAVE ISIS ALONE!!!!!!

There's enough going on this season we don't need something happening to the dog, too. And it's not like they haven't already successfully replaced the canine actors.

(Out of context, that opening line probably sounds very wrong. I mean the loyal lab presumably named for the Egyptian goddess, NSA.)
Poubelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Tabby on Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:52 am

Agreed, Poubelle!
Tabby

Back to top Go down

Post  dionneshea on Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:34 am

Christmas Special! I usually live-stream Downton when it airs in Britain, but my mom doesn't own a computer, much less have the internet, so I wasn't able to do so for the Christmas special. And I loved it so much! There were so many great bits. Mary defending Tom's honor and using Thomas to do the dirty work. Robert telling Edith that he knows everything, and having no problem with any of it. Isobel and Violet sharing confidences and proving that they are each other's soul mates, whether they know it or not. Rose being a much better daughter-in-law than Lord Sinderby deserves. The three kids paying tribute to Sybil. Tom saving the party from drunk Robert and a slightly less drunk Robert paying tribute to his beloved son-in-law.

And then, AND THEN... PERFECTION. Carson asking Mrs. Hughes to marry him. So wonderful. I started crying because I was so happy.

I am very sorry that next season won't have Tom or Rose (and lovely Atticus), and that the Bates murder woes are STILL NOT OVER. My God, it is unending and so very dismal and boring. And I'm actually really hopeful that next season is the last. And if they can get Rose and Tom to come back for the last episode - all the better.
dionneshea

Back to top Go down

Post  puddingcup on Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:55 am

I am more shallow, because the emotional story lines don't affect me anymore (though I'm ready for Moseley and Baxter to finally get together), and I am mostly watching for the clothes and setting (Mary and Rose always have the best clothes, though, Cora had a beautiful cream one - I think it was at the Sinderby's?). My thoughts on the Christmas Special:

• The dining room at the Sinderby's rented estate - so gorgeous! Too bad a few minutes later it was eclipsed by Sinderby yelling at his butler and Barrow.
  • The small dinner at Downton with the senior servants (and Daisy) was so sweet.
  • Mary + Matthew Goode = I approve.
  • Edith's hunting friend looked promising, too.
  • The hunting set up was so ridiculous. Did they really do it like that then, with a lady just watching by each of the shooters?
  • Isobel: Please don't turn down Lord Merton! I would love to see her as Lady Merton, and Dickie Merton is adorable.
  • Wouldn't Stowell have traced the appearance of Sinderby's baby mama immediately to Barrow?

puddingcup

Back to top Go down

Post  mrinsouciance on Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:18 pm

I knew it! Finally had a chance to look up Lord Sinderby on imdb and yes, indeed, it's the same actor that played Herod Agrippa as a far younger man in I, Claudius.

This was one of my favorite seasons ever, though I couldn't agree more about the whole Bates/Anna murder thing. Time for that storyline to die.

Julian did have to kill someone off, of course, so he opted for poor Isis.

mrinsouciance

Back to top Go down

Post  puddingcup on Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:43 am

I knew it! Finally had a chance to look up Lord Sinderby on imdb and yes, indeed, it's the same actor that played Herod Agrippa as a far younger man in I, Claudius.

Also he was inappropriate Uncle Geoffrey from Bridget Jones' Diary!

puddingcup

Back to top Go down

Post  Tabby on Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:03 am

The hunting set up was so ridiculous. Did they really do it like that then, with a lady just watching by each of the shooters?
I think so, yes. They did a similar thing in an early season, where the shooters weren't at stands, just in different places in the park, and a lady accompanied each of the gentleman shooters then, too. (Mary was walking around with Matthew.)

I'm very sorry Isobel and Lord Merton appear to be done, but things could change next season. Please? They're such a cute couple, and deserve some happiness.

Mr. Carson and Mrs. Hughes being "stuck with" each other makes me very happy indeed.

The only thing missing from the Christmas ep was a basket of puppies. Isis is gone (*sob*), we should have gotten puppies!
Tabby

Back to top Go down

Post  Shalamar on Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:38 am

Finally had a chance to look up Lord Sinderby on imdb and yes, indeed, it's the same actor that played Herod Agrippa as a far younger man in I, Claudius.

THAT'S where I knew him from! And I never realized he was also Creepy Uncle Jeffrey. Thanks, that was driving me nuts.

I may have squeed a bit when Carson said quietly "But I DO want to be stuck with you." That big booby. :)
Shalamar

Back to top Go down

Post  mokey75 on Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:19 am

If this show doesn't end with Mrs. Hughes-Carson poisoning Carson (and thereby allowing Thomas to keep his job,) I am going to be VERY disappointed.
mokey75

Back to top Go down

Post  Unlucky Bear on Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:34 pm

Ha! I wouldn't blame her one bit.
Unlucky Bear
Official Succubus

Back to top Go down

Post  maxell131313 on Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:58 pm

I know, right?!  Mrs. Hughes should tell him if he wants Mrs. Patmore's food he should ask Mrs. Patmore for cooking lessons.

While I'm sure Julian Fellowes wants us to feel sorry for Thomas I'm afraid his efforts are falling flat. After years of scheming and lying and back-stabbing my sympathy meter is broken. Thomas dug this hole and you'll forgive me if I don't blame anyone for not helping him out.

The Red Dinner a few weeks ago was an eye opener. Yikes!
maxell131313

Back to top Go down

Post  Tabby on Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:57 am

Puppy! Finally!
Tabby

Back to top Go down

Post  sagitare on Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:28 pm

The look on Hugh Bonneville's face when he saw the puppy was a hoot.

A question: why wouldn't Cruikshank simply hire nursing staff to care for Merton? I get that she didn't want to do it but her cunning plan seemed overly convoluted for a seeming simple solution.
sagitare

Back to top Go down

Post  Tabby on Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:55 am

A question: why wouldn't Cruikshank simply hire nursing staff to care for Merton?
Maybe she's afraid that foisting off the care of her titled father-in-law to hired help would be side-eyed by the rest of their aristocratic acquaintances. (I don't really know, but maybe that kind of thing is Not Done.) I bet Miss Cruikshank wants to look like a loving and caring daughter-in-law to the rest of their circle, without actually having to be one.
Tabby

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top