Downton Abbey (US version)

Page 2 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Downton Abbey (US version)

Post  naughty zoot on Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:45 pm

Daisy continues to be the character I most want to smack.
I'm confused about Edith and her beau. I thought I understood from his conversation with Lord Grantham that he wasn't especially interested in Edith but he didn't know how to get rid of her as she was always turning up. Is it just that he's the most reticent suitor ever?
naughty zoot

Back to top Go down

Post  Carrie Ann on Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:04 pm

I think the old dude does really like Edith, but also feels as her father and grandmother do - that he would be a burden to her and that she's too young to tie herself to someone like him who is old and disabled. In his conversation with Lord Grantham, I think he was explaining that he'd tried to make these arguments to her and tell her to stop coming by, but that she'd insisted. But I agree with the rest of you - she is smart enough to make this decision on her own, and if she wants to be with him, it's certainly no worse for her than living with her parents (who are fairly indifferent to her, let's be honest) for the rest of her life.
Carrie Ann

Back to top Go down

Post  Unlucky Bear on Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:14 pm

Seriously. Why do they care so much? It's not like they need Edith to produce an heir or anything. And Sir Old Dude seems perfectly respectable. After Sibyl ran away with the chauffeur, and Mary sexed a Turk to death, you'd think Robert and Cora would be happy to foist Edith off on someone who wouldn't shame the family. I mean, remember when she was trying to seduce one of the local farmers last season? This is a HUGE step up.

And, there's this.
Unlucky Bear
Official Succubus

Back to top Go down

Post  inversed on Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:42 am

My local PBS station had a special preview of the first hour at our local indie movie theater on Saturday morning, and I could barely enjoy the leadup to the wedding because I was SO SURE something was going to destroy it. Lord Grantham was going to have a heart attack, or the IRA was going to bomb Mary's carriage and Branson would have been framed (I didn't say it was logical fear), so when they finally got to the altar I was so relieved. Watching it again on Sunday night was much more enjoyable.

I'm glad Edith is getting some love, FINALLY. Yeah Sir Anthony is old but he's also a pretty cool guy and I think he'll treat Edith well. Plus she won't have to stand around awkwardly when all the other ladies are talking about sex anymore!

I DO NOT CARE about stupid Ethel, and I wish Cousin Isobel had something else to do, like just hang around with the Dowager Countess and be snarky. Isobel has changed so much since she got to Downton - yelling at Matthew to hurry up because the chauffer is waiting is not something Season 1 Isobel would do!

The big discussion in our group is whether or not Bates actually did kill Vera. It's easy to explain his exchange with his cellmate as he was just trying to look tough so he'd get left alone but what a twist it would be if he really did it! Not that I want that, because I want Bates and Anna to live happily ever after and have lots of sex and babies.

Also I predict that Branson is going to be involved in the Easter Uprising and either end up dead or imprisoned.

inversed

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys on Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:42 am

inversed wrote:I could barely enjoy the leadup to the wedding because I was SO SURE something was going to destroy it. Lord Grantham was going to have a heart attack, or the IRA was going to bomb Mary's carriage and Branson would have been framed (I didn't say it was logical fear), so when they finally got to the altar I was so relieved.
ME TOO. When they came back from their honeymoon I was like THANK THE LORD. I also laughed when Branson was like "Pleeeeaaaaaase don't drag this out any longer." Hee!

I'm glad Edith is getting some love, FINALLY. Yeah Sir Anthony is old but he's also a pretty cool guy and I think he'll treat Edith well. Plus she won't have to stand around awkwardly when all the other ladies are talking about sex anymore!
Oh god that was SO funny.

My issue with Sir Anthony remains that he looks exactly like Chris Carter and I find it disturbing. He's totally going to knock Edith up and then be surprised when the baby is actually born and he has to do something with it.

I also don't care about Ethel. And I am getting pretty sick of Bates and I was also wondering if he really killed Vera and then I decided that I kind of don't care. Which makes me sad because I loved Bates and Anna.

I thought Shirley Maclaine was going to feel intrusive, but I take it back, she's a delight.
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  puddingcup on Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:54 am

The big discussion in our group is whether or not Bates actually did kill Vera.

I was thinking this too, and I hope he did and there's an interesting story behind it, because the Bates and Anna storyline has been tedious for ages.

puddingcup

Back to top Go down

Post  maxell131313 on Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:14 pm

Carrie Ann wrote:I think the old dude does really like Edith, but also feels as her father and grandmother do - that he would be a burden to her and that she's too young to tie herself to someone like him who is old and disabled. In his conversation with Lord Grantham, I think he was explaining that he'd tried to make these arguments to her and tell her to stop coming by, but that she'd insisted. But I agree with the rest of you - she is smart enough to make this decision on her own, and if she wants to be with him, it's certainly no worse for her than living with her parents (who are fairly indifferent to her, let's be honest) for the rest of her life.

I like Sir Anthony too and think they could be happy together but this being a fancy soap opera I'm pessimistically guessing something will go awry. Either he drops dead before the wedding or Robert manages to freak him out to such an extent that he breaks off the engagement or doesn't even show up at the church. And then I really would pity Edith because, while I couldn't stand her the first season, I think she's become a very good character and deserves just as much happiness as her sisters. I don't want her name changed to Poor Edith, The Old Maid of Grantham. Maybe they'll run off and elope, too? Worked for Sybill.
maxell131313

Back to top Go down

Post  mo pie on Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:35 pm

I think we're supposed to think Bates might have killed Vera, but he will boringly turn out not to have done it.

I also find Daisy incredibly annoying. Also Mrs. Padmore since she keeps getting up in Mrs. Hughes's business. "But why don't you telll himmmm." IT'S NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS MRS. PADMORE.

mo pie

Back to top Go down

Post  mialoubug on Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:32 pm

Aww, I love Daisy! My husband thinks she looks exactly like a human depiction of the dress mouse in Disney's "Cinderella."

Giant Alfred reminds me of William.
mialoubug

Back to top Go down

Post  mrinsouciance on Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:20 pm

inversed wrote:or the IRA was going to bomb Mary's carriage and Branson would have been framed

That would have been an awesome Revenge of Carlisle twirly moustache plot.

Also, they had better not kill off Mrs. Hughes.

mrinsouciance

Back to top Go down

Post  LadyGayle on Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:48 pm

inversed wrote: Also I predict that Branson is going to be involved in the Easter Uprising and either end up dead or imprisoned.

The Easter Rising is already past, I think. It's already 1920 in Downton Abbey time.

I'm with you in not giving two hoots about Ethel. I groaned when I saw her.

LadyGayle

Back to top Go down

Post  biakbiak on Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:09 pm

Yeah it's definitely passed, Branson mentioned that one of his cousins was shot and killed during it when he gets mad about the army rejecting because of his heart murmur because he planned on being a conscientious objector in season 2.
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  inversed on Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:22 am

I really thought the Uprising was in 1921, I are dumb. According to Wikipedia, there was a lot of violence between 1920-1921 though, so I still stand by my theory.

inversed

Back to top Go down

Post  mrinsouciance on Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:02 am

Wow, I pity Thomas. Going to war with O'Brien? BAD decision.

mrinsouciance

Back to top Go down

Post  maxell131313 on Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:47 am

Poor Edith. The least Anthony could have done is not show up at all rather than do that to a woman on her wedding day. And Edith's dress was better than Mary's!

As I said on TWoP, send Edith to America to stay with Grandma in Newport. Charm American society and have a fling with a cowboy. Give Mary the middle finger from across the Atlantic. Anything but stay with a family that clearly doesn't give a crap about her. A point that was brought home after Robert's flippant "She'll get over it." to Matthew.
maxell131313

Back to top Go down

Post  inversed on Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:50 am

I am firmly on Team Edith now, after all that shit. Yes, she was shitty about the Dead Turkish Gentleman but that was years and a war ago. Girl deserves some happiness!

I did get a huge squee out of Carson's singing when he found out Mrs. Hughes is okay.

And screw the money problems, O'Brian vs. Thomas is what's really going to bring Downton down. Remember when O'Brian was all nice to Moseley? What happened to that, and why does nobody else like him?

inversed

Back to top Go down

Post  Tabby on Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:16 am

And screw the money problems, O'Brian vs. Thomas is what's really going to bring Downton down.
Yeah, my comment after the show was, "Between them, they're going to burn the place down." No good can come of this.

Poor Edith. I sure hope she gets some happiness eventually. Otherwise, she's going to have a pretty grim life, first taking care of her aging parents until they kick off, then living as the dependent of her sister (who dislikes her) and brother-in-law. Unless Granny leaves her enough money to be independent, which God knows I wouldn't count on.

The hookers rolling their eyes at Mrs. Crawley were pretty funny. But, let me check around here...nope, can't find a crap to give about Ethel.
Tabby

Back to top Go down

Post  VodouDoll on Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:58 am

inversed wrote:Remember when O'Brian was all nice to Moseley? What happened to that, and why does nobody else like him?

Is it because he tried to be a draft dodger?

VodouDoll

Back to top Go down

Post  mrinsouciance on Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:33 pm

I want the more confident Edith from the Downton-as-hospital episodes back. Hopefully the "times they are a changin'" theme will help her find something more to do than be a bitter upper class spinster. Desperate wallowing Edith irritates more after she seemed to find herself for awhile.

Carson hovering and tutting about Hughes was wonderful.

I'm not sure what the Moseley hate is all about, either, unless it's just that he's sort of a clueless rube thus they don't have much respect for him.

The Bates thing needs to end, because every time they cut away to the prison I tune out mentally, just like with Ethel.

Not sure what to make of the Sibyl/Branson previews for next week. He still seems more suited to sitting around with the guys smoking than hanging around with his wife. I was waiting for him to provide speculation to the upstairs folks about the O'Brian/Thomas conflict, but nope.

mrinsouciance

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:08 pm

I'm mostly neutral about the show in general - it doesn't really scratch any of my itches. But my wife is all over it - so much so that we've rewatched the entire series in the last week. And at the edges of my neutrality are two definite opinions:

I hate Mary. Haaaaaaaaaaaate.

If Edith doesn't get some *real happiness* *real soon*, I'm out.

I can give or take Thomas v O'Brien and the Never-Ending Misery of John Bates. But when Sir Anthony ditched Edith at the altar I nearly went ballistic. Over a show that I mostly don't care about. That's how much I hate how Edith has been treated by Fellowes. While Lady Mary Sunshine walks around with her head up her ass and gets everything - even, in the end, the inheritance that would legally have passed her by (not that I agree with the law - it's just one more example of everything being handed to Mary).

Gah.

Yes, she was shitty about the Dead Turkish Gentleman but that was years and a war ago.

I can't even give Edith any grief about that because Mary was such a spiteful... (insert vulgarity of choice)... to her with all of her snide comments about Edith's looks, dress, and prospects.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  naughty zoot on Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:49 pm

I KNEW Sir Anthony just wasn't into Edith, but what an absolute ass to do that.
I'm trying to figure out what possible circumstances would lead Branson to abandon Sybil in a foreign country or wherever it is he left he.
naughty zoot

Back to top Go down

Post  Shadowlass on Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:17 pm

naughty zoot wrote:I KNEW Sir Anthony just wasn't into Edith, but what an absolute ass to do that.

I got the impression that he was into Edith, but that Robert's words were really weighing on him. I was horrified by Sir Anthony's leaving Edith at the altar, but I was angriest at Robert--he just had to make sure he kept his disapproval plain. And Sir Anthony is squishy enough that he's internalize that.

And Robert keeps making unpleasant remarks about Branson, when the horse is out of the corral on that one. Just shut up, Robert. And keep your hands off the maids.

Shadowlass

Back to top Go down

Post  mrinsouciance on Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:41 pm

He originally married Cora for her money, after all. Self-awareness is not one of his stronger traits.

mrinsouciance

Back to top Go down

Post  Tabby on Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:28 pm

I got the impression that he was into Edith, but that Robert's words were really weighing on him.
He was going to propose just before the war started, at the garden party. The only reason he didn't was because Mary lied to him to get revenge on Edith.

I think he loved Edith, but felt guilty about marrying her because he's wounded now, and he's probably feeling his age more after going through the war. Robert's words just pushed him over the edge. Bad form to do it at the altar, though.
Tabby

Back to top Go down

Post  biakbiak on Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:01 pm

I get that disabilities were treated different back in the day but I just wish they had conveyed in some way other than people constantly telling us that Edith was going to have to nurse Sir Anthony and it would be such a hardship because he seemed more than capable of looking after himself without aide from others. And even the age thing seemed a stupid given the number of men in a more "appropriate" age bracket for Edith died during the war.

biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top