Arrow

Page 8 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Arrow

Post  QueenSix on Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:54 am

I actually agree with you there, Kiran. When I heard she'd been cast as Mina in Dracula, I was very skeptical based on her work in Arrow. I ended up thinking she was good in Dracula but considering the material she had, she wasn't exactly pushed acting wise.

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  truecrystal on Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:35 am

Gah, I thought she was horrible on Dracula and I definitely thought she was the weakest link on Arrow, but I thought she improved in her S2 appearance. I actually liked her chemistry with Ammell/Ollie. And I think I would have bought her more as the do-gooder lawyer with a past than a masked vigilante seeking revenge.

truecrystal

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames on Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:34 am

WHAT?!?!

WHAT?!?!?!?!

WHAT?!!?!?!?!?!?!?
RiverThames

http://www.mrmaresca.com

Back to top Go down

Post  TiffanyNichelle on Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:47 am

Well I'm pissed off. And strangely enough this isn't going to make me like Laurel or root for her journey.
TiffanyNichelle

Back to top Go down

Post  QueenSix on Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:34 am

Arrow hasn't started back here yet (the week after next I think) but I read the spoiler because why not and I'm surprised. It'll have some dramatic fall out all right and I suppose it's one way of getting Laurel on her way.

I don't mine Laurel myself but I see why others don't care for her TV incarnation. But I don't know why they didn't just go that way with her character in the first place instead of having her flail about metaphorically for the first two seasons because that never endears TV characters to viewers. (Case in point: Will Tippin in Alias).

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames on Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:59 am

I'm more shocked than angry. But it definitely got my attention.

Plenty of good stuff, besides that. The brief Barry cameo was a bit odd; it would have worked better had The Flash been scheduled, say, to air directly after Arrow, as opposed to the night before. As it was, it served just to mark the timing of the Barry/Ollie meeting in the Flash pilot, rather than as a hook of any sort.

As far as Laurel stepping up to become The Canary-- and maybe Sara had been training her; That's what the "used all the vacation days" and "why you're really here" might have meant-- I'm open minded. Especially since Katie Cassiday has apparently been buying ALL THE TICKETS TO THE GUN SHOW.
RiverThames

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran on Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:43 pm

I'm shocked in that they did it so soon, but I saw this coming since the minute that they introduced Sara (as much as I like her, I couldn't see how this wasn't their plan from the beginning).

I'm open too. I've discussed it before but I love comics Dinah Laurel Lance so much I want to like her tv iteration too, and Katie Cassidy has never been the problem to me, so much as the writing.

I also think its telling they are introducing Ted Grant, since he was such a big mentor and trainer in comic Black Canary's life.
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:03 pm

I didn't care for it. I might have been more open to it if Sara's return and sudden death had been the only tease of the episode. But teasing Felicity and Ollie again and then Ollie being a dickbag again was too much.

But, Felicity deserves better. So... I'm all on the Ray Train. I really liked Brandon Routh.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie on Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:22 pm

I couldn't see how this wasn't their plan from the beginning

It was their plan to cast a more likable, physically skilled actress in the part of Black Canary than their lead actress? It was their plan to write her INFINITELY better than they ever bother to write Dinah Laurel Lance? I'm not disagreeing it was their plan, but it's the deeply stupid plan of a couple of arrogant SOB's.

But teasing Felicity and Ollie again and then Ollie being a dickbag again was too much.

But, Felicity deserves better. So... I'm all on the Ray Train. I really liked Brandon Routh.

Uh this so much. If I never hear Oliver say that shit about losing focus and risking other people's lives and it's his decision again it will be too soon. I was so glad Felicity was over it to, and I look forward to her hooking up with Ray. Suck it Oliver.

The Sara thing disappointed me, because I simply don't think the writers are capable of doing Laurel any justice, and I thought they'd at least keep Sara around while Laurel got motivated to physically train for you know a year or two, but the Oliver doesn't do relationships stuff for the fifteenth time in two years is so beyond tedious and contrived.

blixie
Mod Squad

http://thesnarkening.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran on Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:27 pm

I'm not saying it was a good plan, and they certainly made her more likable (though I wonder if they did intend to make Laurel as much of a non starter as the did, I think that's just shitty writing tbh), but the minute she came back as Canary, I've assumed Sara was going to die so that Laurel would eventually take on the mantle.

I'm not saying I'm not sad, I am. But I think I have been prepared for it since she showed up.
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie on Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:40 pm

Oh no I've always assumed they'd kill her, I just think the timing and the way they did it was cheap and lazy, and isn't likely to win a single hater of Laurel over.

Plus they have already fridged so many characters both male and female, that to do it to a LBGT character and to have her fall on a garbage bin? Like try to be more offensive and angry making. Try. They seem to think Sara/Caity's fans will stick around to watch all her back story while she's dead and Laurel takes over her "life". Sure guys, that sounds like a slam dunk.

It's too bad, I really enjoyed Laurel last night and I definitely think Katie Cassidy is capable of being a kickass Canary, but it will never be SARA'S kickass Canary and portions of the audience will always resent her for it, if they stick around at all even.

blixie
Mod Squad

Back to top Go down

Post  xyzzy on Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:06 am

So a bunch of redditors used Audacity to reverse engineer the voice disguiser on Sarah's killer. It sounds like it was either
Spoiler:
Sin or Thea. Definitely a female.
xyzzy

Back to top Go down

Post  Raksha on Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:55 pm

My vote is for
Spoiler:
Thea. They're clearly sending her down a dark path this season, making her Malcolm's evil little protege. And I can't imagine why Sin would do that.
Raksha

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames on Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:02 pm

Since it was a Voice Disguiser, from off-screen, there would be no need to have the actual person playing the character do it. For all we know, the voice actor was the sound engineer's cousin, so reverse-engineering it seems kind of pointless.
RiverThames

Back to top Go down

Post  Carrie Ann on Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:41 pm

I agree.
Spoiler:
And I don't want it to be one of the female characters because it's sad enough that one got fridged. I'd hate it if another was evil in that way. I could see it being Talia al Ghul or something like that though.
Carrie Ann

Back to top Go down

Post  xyzzy on Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:35 pm

RiverThames wrote:Since it was a Voice Disguiser, from off-screen, there would be no need to have the actual person playing the character do it. For all we know, the voice actor was the sound engineer's cousin, so reverse-engineering it seems kind of pointless.

True, but
Spoiler:
the voice definitely sounded familiar.

They also reverse engineered everyone else's voice disguisers. Ollie's is the least manipulated--just a pitch change. Others had reverb or other modulation.
xyzzy

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie on Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:30 pm

It is a damn shame when they cast Crocodile Dundee's thug brother as Ra's al Ghul.

I did love the Nyssa/Malcolm/Arrow fight scene even though I can think of any logical, sensical reason Oliver is going to the mattresses for Malcolm. Not killing him, great. Protecting him? For why.

Laurel was very Laurel this episode, I continue to be boggled how badly botched she is in every way.

I'm really stunned that a show that was clicking so well from mid S1-mid S2 now feels like it's lacking urgency and stakes. I don't love anything that is happening, I don't hate it, I mostly am like: eh.

blixie
Mod Squad

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:04 pm

WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT?

DAMN YOU, BERLANTI!
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  xyzzy on Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:45 pm

LOL. I hated everything about this episode, but I think it was doctor/lawyer syndrome--it's just tough for doctors/lawyers to take medical/legal dramas seriously. I, uhm, know a lot about computers and computer security thanks to a misspent youth, so watching "hacker" characters fumble around while spouting literal nonsense just makes me laugh and takes me out of the drama. I also hate it when shows goth people up and they look uncomfortable with it. When Felicity was typing the Zork stuff into her laptop for a Linux port I just felt embarrassed for the writers. When you port text adventure games you don't have to literally re-type everything that appears in the text. Then they just made it worse by continually referencing grues, which just strengthened my vicarious embarrassment. And, narratively, it was way too obvious from almost the beginning that the evil hax0r was her ex-boyfriend. I mean, come on, guys. I'll just pretend that this episode never happened, up to and including the ending, which I have to believe is some kind of insane fake-out.
xyzzy

Back to top Go down

Post  Corvus on Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:53 pm

watching "hacker" characters fumble around while spouting literal nonsense just makes me laugh and takes me out of the drama.
Suggestion: watch one episode of 'Scorpion'. Half of one, even. Arrow will look like The Andromeda Strain.

(First episode for me. Wanted to see what Flash was spun out of. Very nice. Must get over my extreme and unfair seizures at the sight of Katie Cassidy.)
Corvus

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie on Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:21 pm

It was a jaw dropping stinger but it took me 5 seconds to realize it's an obvious red herring. In his dream he killed Sara exactly like he killed the two cops, he's clearly transposing the events onto Sara's murder.

I love Felicity, but I did not love the episode. Like much of this season it just felt disjointed, chaotic, and hackneyed.

I still love Ray even though they are determined to make him as intrusive and overbearing as possible, the is the most charming Routh has ever been, and I like the genuine moments he and Felicity have shared.

The best part of the episode was Mama Smoak, ney Eve Donavan I love you Charlotte Ross! She was exactly what I conjured when Felicity said, "My mother..IS....my mother." The perfect Team Arrow moment when Oliver worried about taking baby Sara down to the lair, and Digg was like, who is she gonna tell?! Hee Oliver never the sharpest knife in the drawer. And of course I loved his line "you know how I feel about *her*." Aww you two stop tripping over imaginary blocks!

Lord I'm just gonna not talk about Laurel.

blixie
Mod Squad

Back to top Go down

Post  Carrie Ann on Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:07 pm

Yeah, I think I loved enough moments and pieces of this episode to come out of it feeling good about it as whole, but MIT flashbacks and the present-day Cooper were not good. I did like the prison scene, but the others just didn't feel real to me. Meh.

On the other hand, Donna exceeded all expectations, and I found that relationship very believable. I too have loved Charlotte Ross since her time on Days of Our Lives and NYPD Blue, but she wasn't what I thought of for Felicity's mom at all. Whatever I would have come up with wouldn't have been a tenth as good as this.
Carrie Ann

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames on Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:45 pm

blixie wrote: it just felt disjointed, chaotic, and hackneyed.

The one bit where it really didn't work was where the boys were standing around in the ArrowCave.

Ollie: Well, we can't do anything until Felicity comes back.
Felicity: All right, I'm back, let's get to work.
Ollie: Hey, look, I just realized the plot needs you and your mom to get kidnapped or something. Why don't you head out again for a bit?
Felicity: Umm... sure.
RiverThames

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames on Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:42 am

Boxing. Glove. Arrow.
RiverThames

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie on Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:13 pm

Eh. And also, meh. That's all I have for last nights episode. Nope wait, also UGH.

Next week looks like fun though with Cupid and a Ray/Felicity date. I've always thought Brandon Routh was attractive but wholly hell is he exponentially hotter as Ray Palmer.

blixie
Mod Squad

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top