Arrow

Page 3 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Arrow

Post  RiverThames on Fri May 17, 2013 1:43 pm

Katie Cassidy is definitely a weak link, especially in writing. Possibly part of this is due to the actress being pregnant, but I'm just not seeing "future Black Canary" in her. I know at least part of this is due to using her a bit too much as Rescue Bait instead of stand-up ass-kicker. The episode a few weeks ago where Gunn showed up at her apartment to kill the kid would have been a good one to highlight that a little better. Yeah, she came out with the shotgun (good!) but then jammed it and panicked.
RiverThames

http://www.mrmaresca.com

Back to top Go down

Post  TiffanyNichelle on Fri May 17, 2013 2:17 pm

RiverThames wrote:Katie Cassidy is definitely a weak link, especially in writing. Possibly part of this is due to the actress being pregnant, but I'm just not seeing "future Black Canary" in her. I know at least part of this is due to using her a bit too much as Rescue Bait instead of stand-up ass-kicker. The episode a few weeks ago where Gunn showed up at her apartment to kill the kid would have been a good one to highlight that a little better. Yeah, she came out with the shotgun (good!) but then jammed it and panicked.

She is pregnant? I was working what was happening with her face, it was looking a little fuller lately and I thought she might be pregnant.

I agree. I don't see future Black Canary. It's like on Smallville when they introduced a Lois Lane who had no interest in reporting. They eventually got her there but it was so frustrating that they took the long road to it (and then dropped a barn door at her feet to kickstart it). I think they tried at first to have Laurel be able to do some self-defense moves and then suddenly it was gone. And the thing with the gun was really clever until it jammed and it was felt like a comedy.
TiffanyNichelle

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames on Fri May 17, 2013 2:44 pm

TiffanyNichelle wrote:
RiverThames wrote:Katie Cassidy is definitely a weak link, especially in writing. Possibly part of this is due to the actress being pregnant, but I'm just not seeing "future Black Canary" in her. I know at least part of this is due to using her a bit too much as Rescue Bait instead of stand-up ass-kicker. The episode a few weeks ago where Gunn showed up at her apartment to kill the kid would have been a good one to highlight that a little better. Yeah, she came out with the shotgun (good!) but then jammed it and panicked.

She is pregnant? I was working what was happening with her face, it was looking a little fuller lately and I thought she might be pregnant.

I agree. I don't see future Black Canary. It's like on Smallville when they introduced a Lois Lane who had no interest in reporting. They eventually got her there but it was so frustrating that they took the long road to it (and then dropped a barn door at her feet to kickstart it). I think they tried at first to have Laurel be able to do some self-defense moves and then suddenly it was gone. And the thing with the gun was really clever until it jammed and it was felt like a comedy.

Right, there was that episode early on where she showed some moves and "rescued" Tommy and Ollie from that other club's bouncers. (Rescued in the sense that Ollie was pretending he couldn't just trounce them all.) But then they forgot about that, it seems. Possibly because they have a lot of plot-balls in the air, and Laurel is mostly stuck in "love triangle" and nothing else.
RiverThames

Back to top Go down

Post  Raksha on Fri May 17, 2013 11:18 pm

Yeah, I've been disappointed in Laurel's storyline, especially since I do actually like Katie Cassidy too. Hopefully with Tommy's demise, the love triangle nonsense will be behind them and it'll free up a little screen time for her. Maybe his death (and the revelation that her sister's was actually a murder too) will start her down the path to kicking ass.
Raksha

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran on Fri May 17, 2013 11:49 pm

I too am hoping that season two will be better for Laurel. I think I love Black Canary so much its really hard for me to find her kinda boring until this episode.
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  Raksha on Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:28 pm

Season 2 casting spoiler:

Spoiler:
Summer Glau to play a recurring role as Ollie's adversary.

Eeeeeeeee! Very happy about this turn of events.

I really can't wait for next season. I just marathoned the whole first season recently and it was a lot more fun this time around, for some reason. Good times.
Raksha

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:41 am

I think knowing that the show found its footing in the back half would help with the shaky first eps.

If Summer Glau is in the cast... do we need to start the "Save Arrow" petition now?
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran on Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:19 am

I actually am kinda meh on this news. I realized a while ago I only like her as an actor when shes playing someone crazy or a robot.
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis on Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:51 pm

Yeah, I don't hate her or anything at all but I don't really care either.

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  xyzzy on Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:04 am

I'm pretty sure that Glau's only capable of playing robot crazy, so I'm not too thrilled about this news. (As much as I admire Joss Whedon's skills as a writer, some of his cast members get to stick around far too long in genre tv just because he happened to pick them for the one role they could apparently play.)
xyzzy

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames on Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:00 pm

One of the big complaints about Season 1 was how Oliver as "The Hood" would just straight-up murder people. It's nice to make that an explicit plot point in his transformation to Green Arrow going into Season Two.

Seriously, I've really grown to adore this show, and this clinched why: it's truly become the superhero show that I always wanted to see.
RiverThames

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:54 am

I'm glad he's evolving and adapting, as well.

On the news just prior to their big story on Ollie's return "Central City blah blah STAR Labs blah blah particle accelerator up and running".

Oh, yeeeeeeessssssss.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  xyzzy on Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:10 am

Well, that was enjoyable.
xyzzy

Back to top Go down

Post  biakbiak on Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:12 am

Question we got bored early on in the first season, can you just leap into the second season? Or is watching the back half necessary?
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  xyzzy on Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:24 am

You could, but you'd probably miss out on at least some of what made this such a strong opener. At the very least I'd pick up the last three or four episodes of last season before watching the premiere. Or maybe scan some recaps.
xyzzy

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames on Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:20 pm

Oh, Kevin Alejandro. Why must you be so mean to Oliver?
RiverThames

Back to top Go down

Post  bbridges on Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:59 pm

Also Sebastian Blood is the most supervillian-y name I can think of someone having. He is definitely evil.
bbridges

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames on Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:04 am

Yeah, in the comics Sebastian is the first name of Brother Blood, who's pretty much a full on bad guy.

Which I have full confidence in Kevin Alejandro to eat like a five-course meal. This should be fun.
RiverThames

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:12 am

THANK YOU, RT. I could not figure out why "Blood" should be significant. My brain just would not let go of Jason Blood/The Demon Etrigan, which would be hella awesome, but a little bit out there for this show until they get some more superpowered types under their belt.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames on Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:53 am

Black Canary.  Black Canary with Sonic Scream, in a fashion.  Canary making her headquarters a clock tower.

And... and... Ra's al Ghul! WHAT?!?!?!?!

This show is such crack, but it's high-grade pure-from-source crack.  It's everything that Smallville was too ashamed to be.
RiverThames

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:36 pm

I agree. My boss is still adamantly in the, "I wanted Smallville's Green Arrow to get a spin-off" camp, but I like this so much better.

But... I really wish they'd pronounce Ra's properly. It should sound like "rayshe", not "razz" or even "Roz".

When Canary's friend came out of the shadows I was like, "Merlyn? What the flying fuck, show?" And then he mentioned Ra's and I was all kermit-flailing. Of COURSE the Undertaking was the brainchild of someone trained by the League of Assassins (or, if we must, since this show does recycle so much from Batman Begins, the League of Shadows).
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames on Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:54 pm

laddical wrote:My boss is still adamantly in the, "I wanted Smallville's Green Arrow to get a spin-off" camp, but I like this so much better.
Your boss is quantitatively, empirically wrong. The best stuff on Smallville was the Green-Arrow centered DC-Universe explicit stuff, true... but this his heads and shoulders above what they were doing there. Partly because they're owning it so much more than Smallville ever let itself.
RiverThames

Back to top Go down

Post  xyzzy on Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:01 am

kermit-flailing
This never fails to make me laugh.

I was getting a Batman-vibe through the entire episode--Smoak signals for secret rooftop meetups with beat cops, important characters trapped in unlikely death machines, etc. The Ra's al Ghul mention was just the icing on the cake.

I thought the case of the week was kind of boring. It's tough enough to develop a serial killer case of the week when it's the focus of an entire show--the attempt to shoehorn one into a story that was already full of survivor guilt, mysterious female assassins, the death penalty for Mrs. Queen, and island shenanigans was a bit much.

I LOL'ed when Oliver pointed out that the lawyer had another shoulder. Tee hee.
xyzzy

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames on Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:25 pm

This is quickly becoming my favorite show currently on. I am enjoying it a ridiculous amount.

Canary and Arrow switching weapons!
Brother Blood! I really thought they were going to take a little longer to go there, honestly.
STAR Labs Supercollider in Central City!

My level of geek out is grand.
RiverThames

Back to top Go down

Post  Carrie Ann on Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:41 pm

I don't know anything about any of those things, but I do know that this was one of my favorite episodes ever. I don't really know why, but I have some theories. One is that I think the actors are really settling into their roles, and the writers have started allowing them to have inner lives and to have actions and motivations that aren't black and white. A lot of the developments in this episode were really exciting. Absolutely would not have imagined that Laurel would become an addict, but it's believable and it's making her interesting to me, which she's never been. I liked the younger kids piece for the first time as well, and I think adding a third person to that group is a good idea. Having Sarah back and not sure whether to contact her family is great. The Mayor and Brother Blood stuff, Diggle and Felicity getting fed up with Oliver's lies, Diggle flirting with his hottie friend... The show just seems to be firing on all cylinders right now.
Carrie Ann

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top