Current Reads

Page 5 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 22 ... 40  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Current Reads

Post  mokey75 on Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:39 am

I just finished Gillian Flynn's Dark Places, which I liked slightly more than Gone Girl, but I think that may be due to the fact that the ending didn't completely infuriate me. But man. I hope that Gillian Flynn just has a really, really vivid imagination, because if any of these characters are based on people she knows, she hangs out with some seriously effed up people, heh.
mokey75

Back to top Go down

Post  mialoubug on Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:53 pm

That's good to hear, mokey. That's next on my list. I love her writing.
mialoubug

Back to top Go down

Post  katesti on Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:08 pm

It's next on my list too. First, I started the Savages prequel, Kings of Cool, despite the fact that I mostly hated Savages. We'll see how long I last.

katesti

Back to top Go down

Post  eventide82 on Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:54 am

I just finished the new Marian Keyes book, The Mystery of Mercy Close, which was about Helen Walsh. It was good, though not as hilarious as her previous Walsh family books mostly because
Spoiler:
Helen if suffering from severe depression
, but it was still an enjoyable read. Mammy Walsh needs her own book - I can't get enough of her.
eventide82

http://boredomaboundsbyjulia.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys on Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:26 pm

Uh, I just finished In the Woods. Spoiling for my reaction, not for specific plot details.

Spoiler:
AAAAAAAAAUUUUGGGHHHHHHHHHH, THAT HURT. I thought it was really good from a mystery standpoint but the end, AAAAUUUUUGGHHHHHHH THE PAAAAAIIIN.

I don't know if I can read any more of hers. I don't mind downer endings, but man. I was up til almost 5 am reading it (goddamn thunderstorms), and I purposely stopped about 50 pages from the end, when the mystery part was mostly solved, because I wasn't sure how the other stuff was going to resolve and I was afraid it was going to work me up. Which it did. What a mean lady. The author, I mean.
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  mixtape on Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:12 pm

I need to skim (re-) read Girlfriend in a Coma tomorrow for uni, but I don't like it very much so I'm dreading it a bit.

At the moment I'm reading Leaving the Atocha Station, which I like and hate (although I hate it because of the main character, who I think you're meant to dislike, so it's not like it's bad). It's very funny.

mixtape

Back to top Go down

Post  dinahmoe on Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:35 pm

Instant Monkeys wrote:Uh, I just finished In the Woods. Spoiling for my reaction, not for specific plot details.
Yeah, it doesn't get better in the next one. But it's fascinating how she progresses the characters.
dinahmoe

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:57 pm

Wow. Code Name Verity threw me for a couple of loops. I honestly got bored by lots of the pilot training stories, but man, Verity had such distinctive mannerisms and speech. She felt fully realized, and her fierce love and admiration for Maddie were astounding.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  big chicken on Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:05 pm

After a few false starts, I started Tasha Alexander's And Only to Deceive this morning and it's zipping along quite nicely.

big chicken

Back to top Go down

Post  inversed on Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:22 pm

Stranger Things Happen is deliciously creepy and unsettling. Perfect for Halloween!

inversed

Back to top Go down

Post  katesti on Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:25 pm

katesti wrote:It's next on my list too. First, I started the Savages prequel, Kings of Cool, despite the fact that I mostly hated Savages. We'll see how long I last.

Yeah, I got about a hundred pages in and realized that I just absolutely did not care. On to Dark Places!

katesti

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:33 pm

I don't know why I can't make myself hunker down and just read Broken Harbor. It's really good, and yet I keep allowing myself to get distracted by TV and Photoshop.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  gannetguts on Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:00 am

The only way I really got through it was because I was stuck on a twelve hour flight with no tv. I HAD to (didn't particularly like it as much as her others).

I have been completely sucked into A Song of Ice and Fire. I'm up to the third book now and have been just devouring them, despite my many MANY issues with it. Stupid crack-like fantasy novels.

gannetguts

Back to top Go down

Post  dinahmoe on Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:16 am

I finished Live By Night this morning, and am currently scrawling "Mrs. Dennis Lehane" all over the cover of my Lady Storage Binder. I love that man. Seriously, this book is phenomenal.
dinahmoe

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:22 am

Dude, I have that waiting for me at the library, and I can't tell how you psyched I am to be reading it after I get done with Broken Harbor. I live for mothereffin' Dennis Lehane's books!

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  mokey75 on Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:21 am

It's awesome. Hope you enjoy it, wtd!

I tried to read The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao, but I got through like 30 pages (or whatever 10% on the Kindle would be) and gave up. I just couldn't get into it. So now I'm reading Libba Bray's newest, The Diviners.
mokey75

Back to top Go down

Post  katesti on Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:33 pm

Just finished Gillian Flynn's Dark Places, which was great, but suuuuuuuuper dark. I'm not sure why I'm surprised - I read Gone Girl, and also it is IN THE TITLE. But dude. Gillian Flynn's mind is a deeply creepy place.

katesti

Back to top Go down

Post  Menshevixen on Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:48 am

Every year between fall and winter I reread The Once and Future King, so that's what I'm reading currently. I just got to "The Ill-Made Knight" yesterday, so I should be crying during my commute anytime now!
Menshevixen

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile on Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:28 pm

I'm finally reading The Marriage Plot. The writing is so good that I don't care that I don't particularly like any of the characters. I kind of hate Mitchell so far, actually - talk about your textbook Nice Guy - though Leonard is no picnic either, and while I sympathize with Madeleine to a point, I still don't care too much for her. But they're very well-drawn. I never thought NOT liking the characters would be a selling point for a book, but stranger things have happened.
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  bbridges on Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:26 pm

I felt the same way about The Marriage Plot. They were all terrible in different ways but I loved the book. The ways in which they were terrible complemented each other.
bbridges

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:07 pm

I was surprisingly satisfied with the conclusion of Broken Harbor. The streak has ended, Miss French! I found it a bit outlandish, honestly, but it didn't leave me disappointed like all her previous conclusions have. That said, I mentioned here before that I rather liked Scorcher Kennedy, but halfway through the book, he just began pissing me off. I found the character's personality and thought process comprehensible, logical, and well-written, but he just began to seem like an overbearing prick to me after awhile. I could understand why he behaved as he did and the instincts he was running on, but the more wrapped up in the case he got, the less I liked him.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Genevieve on Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:46 am

I read The 100 Year old Man who climbed out of the window and disappeared recently and it was pretty entertaining. It was a ridiculousl story (with kind of a Forest Gump edge to it) mixed with a Scandinavian zen meditation on life. Even the most outlandish stuff in the book the author kind of indicates, "yeah this is insane but go with it" and you do because that is sort of the whole theme of the book, just going with it in the moment. It has that classic Scandinavian black humor and sometimes it made me think of my family. I come from a family with a history of adult runaways (on both sides) and really the attitude with my family has often been, "as long as you have some booze or a cup of coffee, things are all right." (which seems to be the main character's mantra about things.)
Genevieve

Back to top Go down

Post  QueenSix on Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:21 pm

I read The Twelve by Justin Cronin. Now perhaps I should have refreshed my memory by reading the first book The Passage again but it's quite a dense read and I was so eager to read the new one that to have to go through the old one again wouldn't have gone well. So there were a few details from the first book that I'd forgotten, especially one that had me scratching my head when a character turned up and I thought this person was dead.

Anyway, it was a good read. I found it very engaging and I did get a bit cranky this past week when I'd have to go attend to life stuff when all I wanted to do was read the damn book. I also teared up in places but I do that when fathers and their daughters have touching moments - not a spoiler.

I like the apocalyptic virals everywhere world in the book and I think it's created very well and the characters are pretty interesting. I've read one or two reviews (in the past hour since I finished the book) about how the story falls into clich├ęs in places, and maybe so. That didn't take from my enjoyment of what I was reading though.

I should add though that there are some points in the book that are left 'vague'. Like a character will say something a bit mysterious to another and that always bugs me because when it makes me feel stupid when I don't know what they're talking about; I get afraid I didn't pay attention to something and that I've missed the point, and then I start imagining what they might be talking about and I'm usually way off.

Did I mention I got a free mug when I bought the book from my local bookshop? Because I did and I was very thrilled. I do love freebies. Also, it's fun to threaten to make my all things spooky hating mother fret when she thinks I'm about to serve her tea in the 'vampire mug', as she calls it. Hey, it's winter. We make our own fun.

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  VodouDoll on Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:30 pm

I finished War and Peace today. The war parts were sometimes a little draggy, I'm not going to lie, but the Battle of Borodino was really exciting, the characters and story were great, and I'm glad I read it. Now on to Anna Karenina.

VodouDoll

Back to top Go down

Post  naughty zoot on Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:17 pm

I just finished The Twelve, as well. I loved it. It and The Passage are like very literary Stephen King - great storytelling and great writing, which King doesn't always pull off. I found the first chapter with its biblically inspired recap to be quite helpful in remembering who everyone was. I was also confused when that character who I thought was dead showed up. Perhaps book #3 will explain everything more clearly.

I read somewhere that Ridley Scott has optioned this. I hope he decided to make it a series a la Game of Thrones rather than a feature film. I can't see how a 2 or even 3 hour movie would work.
naughty zoot

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 22 ... 40  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top