Current Reads

Page 2 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21 ... 40  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Current Reads

Post  mixtape on Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:53 pm

I'm reading This Is How You Lose Her by Junot Diaz at the moment - am really enjoying it, and I really hate books about cheating etc. generally so I'm surprised.

But really I want something a bit fluffier, I don't know. I'm quite tired and feeling drained by my work at the moment and I want to read something along the lines of the Meg Cabot Boy books (Girl Meets Boy, etc.) but I don't have any friends who enjoy that kind of stuff so nobody to recommend anything to me. I'm going to paw back through this thread and see if anything you've all been reading catches my eye...

mixtape

Back to top Go down

Post  inversed on Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:13 pm

I just finished A Train in Winter, about French women in the Resistance during WW2. There were too many women to follow to feel really connected to any of them, but that's probably for the best because it was harrowing enough as it was. And now I need to read a book about collaborators and war criminals being given their just comeuppance because in that regard, the book was unsatisfying.

inversed

Back to top Go down

Post  Menshevixen on Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:19 pm

Finished Code Name Verity, which was just as amazing as everyone said. Now reading Ursula K. Le Guin's Lavinia, which is about the character from The Aeneid and fleshes out her story. Very beautiful and sad.
Menshevixen

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran on Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:46 pm

I read Lavinia and quite enjoyed him.
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys on Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:48 pm

Finished State of Wonder this weekend. Overall I liked it a lot. I felt the ending was a bit rushed though. A couple of things that I expected to be tied up weren't. But getting there was very enjoyable.

I wondered if she had read The Lost City of Z, because a lot of stuff in the book reminded me of things I read about in that book. I mean, that's not a criticism, obviously. That was a cool-ass book. And this one was as well.

Now back to War and Peace.
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile on Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:27 pm

I read two utterly ridiculous, over-the-top, hilarious books by Marc Acito called How I Paid for College and Attack of the Theatre People. Basically, a theater kid in the 1980s needs to get money for college because his father refuses to pay for Julliard, so he and his friends engage in some money laundering, thievery, and fraud to get the job done. For a light, funny read, I highly recommend it.
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:29 pm

Now that I watch White Collar, I'm all about money laundering, thievery, and fraud so that book sounds perfect!

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  katesti on Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:46 pm

I started Gone Girl this morning and am on page 180. I think it's safe to say I'm into it.

katesti

Back to top Go down

Post  Jasmine on Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:00 am

mixtape wrote:I'm reading This Is How You Lose Her by Junot Diaz at the moment - am really enjoying it, and I really hate books about cheating etc. generally so I'm surprised.

But really I want something a bit fluffier, I don't know. I'm quite tired and feeling drained by my work at the moment and I want to read something along the lines of the Meg Cabot Boy books (Girl Meets Boy, etc.) but I don't have any friends who enjoy that kind of stuff so nobody to recommend anything to me. I'm going to paw back through this thread and see if anything you've all been reading catches my eye...

Meg Cabot has a new book out in the Size 12 is Not Fat/Heather Wells series, which I'm enjoying. Also, if you haven't read the Boyfriend List series by E. Lockhart, you totally should -- there are four books, and they're all great. I just reread the last one this weekend.

Jasmine

Back to top Go down

Post  puddingcup on Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:35 am

Sorry this is OT, but does anyone know if there's a site that has summaries of popular books (including plot spoilers), like The Movie Spoiler does for films? I ask because sometimes I see recs for books in this thread that I'm curious about, but know that I'll never get around to reading, sometimes because I don't want to read it enough to put on high priority on my to read list, sometimes because it sounds too dark for me to read and get immersed in at this point in my life (like all the Tana French, Gillian Flynn talk there's been recently, though I get the impression Gone Girl is good enough so I that should eventually read it, and so should remain unspoiled). I've done random google searches, and sometimes wikipedia has something, but mostly nothing.

puddingcup

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran on Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:41 am

GoodReads reviews sometimes will.
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  mokey75 on Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:54 am

I'm about a third of the way through Moloka`i, about a young Hawaiian girl who develops leprosy and is sent to the settlement. It's amazing. I can't stop thinking about it, and I'm so glad I'm reading it on my Kindle so I can sneakily read it at work.
mokey75

Back to top Go down

Post  big chicken on Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:14 pm

Started A Dance with Dragons. THE END IS IN SIGHT!!! I hope I finish in time to read JKR's The Casual Vacancy when it comes out next week.

big chicken

Back to top Go down

Post  BreezyK on Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:39 pm

big chicken wrote: I hope I finish in time to read JKR's The Casual Vacancy when it comes out next week.
Whoa, I didn't realize that would be coming out so soon! How did I miss this? I just read the description and I'm really curious to see how this book turns out. Right now, the description reads to me like a Maeve Binchy book (not a criticism, as Circle of Friends is one of my all time favorites, but not exactly what I would've expected...)

BreezyK

Back to top Go down

Post  big chicken on Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:20 pm

JKR made the publisher be low key in terms of advertising because she wants to downplay the Harry Potter angle. I think they may have been too low key--surely some advertising is necessary but maybe they think word of mouth will be good enough to keep sales up. The book has a two million print run which is nothing close to Potter but that's big for a book about the politics of a small village in the UK.

big chicken

Back to top Go down

Post  epudom on Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:07 pm

Thanks for the reminder that JKR's book is out next week. The other day on the way to work I was idly wondering when exactly it was coming out as I need to finish my next book group selection beforehand - Periodic Tales - The Curious Lives of the Elements.

I had some time to kill yesterday, so made the mistake of loitering in the bookshop. I managed not to buy anything, but there are at least 10 new books I want to read. Why can't I win the lottery so I can stay home on a comfortable sofa and read all day?
epudom

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis on Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:00 pm

I read Anya Seton's Katherine for the first time. Are the rest of her books just as good?

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  SelfAmused on Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:23 pm

mokey75 wrote:I'm about a third of the way through Moloka`i, about a young Hawaiian girl who develops leprosy and is sent to the settlement. It's amazing. I can't stop thinking about it, and I'm so glad I'm reading it on my Kindle so I can sneakily read it at work.

Oh, I LOVED that book! We started a book club (now-defunct) at work some time ago, and that was one of the last books we read. I remember being really reluctant to read it, but ending up loving it.

SelfAmused

Back to top Go down

Post  MaddyCat on Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:34 pm

Just finished Replay by Ken Grimwood and man was it good. It's about a man who dies at a specific day/time/age and then is forced to "replay" his life from age 18 until he dies again, and then replays again. And again.

It covers a lot of ground and raises some great questions. Plus it's just great to imagine what you would do in similar circumstances. Highly recommend.

Now onto Embassytown by China Mieville which is just a head trip. I have no clue really what the heck is going on, but I don't want to stop reading, either. I would definitely love to have Mieville over for dinner sometime. He must be fascinating.

MaddyCat

Back to top Go down

Post  Dachelle on Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:44 pm

Recently finished The Scorpio Races and The Brides of Rollrock Island, both of which I highly recommend, especially if you like books based on folklore but want something a little different. Now I'm reading Tender Morsels by the author of The Brides of Rollrock Island, which is turning out to be good but a much more disturbing read.

Dachelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Wolf on Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:00 pm

MaddyCat I read that years ago, and reread it... last year, I think. Yeah, it's an interesting book. Raises a lot of questions. Doesn't answer them, though.

Red Wolf

Back to top Go down

Post  inversed on Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:34 pm

I'm really enjoying Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children.

inversed

Back to top Go down

Post  stargirl on Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:59 pm

I'm reading The Flight of Gemma Harding by Margot Livesay, which is a sort of modern retell of Jane Eyre. So far, pretty good (Gemma's just been locked in the sewing room by her aunt and cousin). Curious to see how the Mr. Rochester plot will play out.

stargirl

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys on Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:26 am

inversed wrote:I'm really enjoying Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children.
Loved that book!
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  Algae on Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:55 am

I finally read Redshirts and that was a fun read! I actually really liked the codas, but the actual story itself got a bit meta at the end.
Algae

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21 ... 40  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top