Current Reads

Page 39 of 40 Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Current Reads

Post  VodouDoll on Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:19 pm

The goose story made me laugh so hard I cried.

VodouDoll

Back to top Go down

Post  MaddyCat on Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:30 pm

Finished The Language of Flowers which was just so. frickin. good. Seriously. Lovely writing and just a good read though the main character is truly, deeply screwed up.

Now onto Eleanor and Park thanks to all the recs here. So far, so good!

I too loved Wolf Hall and Bring up the Bodies. Completely revised my thoughts on Cromwell (I know it's fiction, but whatevs) and was just so well-written. The pronoun issues can be troublesome, but I was able to get used to them quickly, and then I was just along for the ride. I cannot wait for the third to come out. Despite knowing the ending. Boo.

MaddyCat

Back to top Go down

Post  Raksha on Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:03 am

Today I finished The Girl Who Soared Over Fairyland and Cut the Moon in Two by Catherynne Valente, and it was as lovely and wonderful as the first two Fairyland books.  This one did have a sort of underlying sadness and anxiety around identity that stems from the issue of growing up and September's experience of it.  
Vague ending spoilers:
I don't think it's a coincidence that this book also lacks the reassuring, pat happy ending the other two had.  Instead, it ends on a bit of a cliffhanger and I'm dying for the next book already!

Last edited by Raksha on Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Raksha

Back to top Go down

Post  RubyTuesday on Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:26 am

whatthedeuce, I just finished Visitation Street. While I liked it enough to see it through to the end, overall I did not enjoy it. It started off well but then nothing really happened. It just slowly plodded along until the end. Also all the descriptions I've read online describe this book as a "riveting mystery" but I found there to be no mystery at all and it was anything but riveting. So, you didn't miss out!

RubyTuesday

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:56 am

Thank you, RubyTuesday! I kept reading gushing reviews about it being such an incredible debut, and then I tried it and was all "Am I reading the wrong book?" It was so much blather about the neighborhoods and not much actual plot progression. I was completely set to adore it on the strength of Lehane's backing alone, but it was effing boring, dude! I'm still mildly curious about what happened to the missing girl though. Would you mind telling me how the "mystery" concludes?

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  RubyTuesday on Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:04 pm

I found most of the characters boring and/or unlikeable as well. With the exception of Fadi, the bodega owner, and maybe Cree.

Spoiler:
June drowned. The girls had an argument in the raft, Val pushed her out, tried to then save her but the current was too strong. Her body was found by Ren (did you get as far as his first appearance?), who then hid her body because he was worried the police would arrest Cree (despite it being an accidental drowning). He was trying to make amends to Cree because it turned out he was the one who shot and killed Cree's father.

RubyTuesday

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:41 pm

Ugh, glad I didn't bother reading all the way through. I seriously wanted a book about Fadi, whose observations and insights were the only things that felt authentic to me.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Jude on Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:08 pm

In the past week I finished Hyperbole and a Half, which was every bit as funny as everyone here said it was. I loved the dog stories most of all, along with the Lost in the Woods with Mom story. I also breezed through World After (Penryn & the End of Days, Book 2) by Susan Ee, the follow up novel to Angelfall. I loved the first one (a true surprise at 99 cents on Amazon for my Kindle!), and this one was nearly as good, though it leaned even more toward the horror genre than fantasy.

Finally, I'm in the middle of the Jim Henson biography by Brian Jay Jones. It's both fascinating and heartbreaking in that the man died too young and probably didn't have to. If you ever liked Jim Henson and/or his Muppets, I recommend it highly.

Jude

Back to top Go down

Post  MaddyCat on Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:48 pm

Eleanor and Park was amazing! Loved it. Like, I don't want to pick up another book just yet because I want to stay with those characters a bit longer, amazing. Don't think I would've read it if not for my fellow readers here, so thank you!

MaddyCat

Back to top Go down

Post  bbridges on Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:12 am

I just finished World After and it started slow but I just ripped through the last third or so. (Is it because this is when Raffe shows back up? I'm not going to say.)
bbridges

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:23 am

The Cuckoo's Calling was excellent until the actual reveal, which I actually thought was so outta left field even as Strike was unraveling his evidence. Still I absolutely love Strike and Robin and can't wait for their next adventure!

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  big chicken on Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:00 pm

Open Road Media is selling all their ebooks for 80% off for Cyber Monday. They've added a lot of authors since last year and you can get their ebooks at Amazon, Sony, or Kobo and probably Apple's store.

big chicken

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person on Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:23 pm

I've been making my way through Kim Harrison's Rachel Morgan books, and enjoying them a lot. I'm in the middle of the fourth book, and I'm not enjoying this one quite as much as the first three but it's still pretty good. I haven't liked Nick from his introduction, and I'm glad he seems to be on the way out of the series. I like how everyone is morally compromised in these books. It makes them interesting. The backstory, a world where a GM-tomato destroyed 1/3 of humanity, and everyone has freaked out about biotech to the point where diabetics aren't allowed insulin, seems semi-realistic.

Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  choubetcha on Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:17 pm

Oh, awesome! Kim Harrison is by far my favorite urban fantasy series. I think it gets better as it goes on, unlike a lot of others.

choubetcha

Back to top Go down

Post  puddingcup on Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:24 am

Finally started reading the Hunger Games. Shouldn't have started reading on a Sunday evening, ugh.

puddingcup

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:16 pm

Oh man, big mistake. Those are unputdownable books.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Gilraen on Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:41 pm

I feel like there should be a warning on the cover to only pick them up on Friday night. Or in the subheading of our Hunger Games thread. Or SOMETHING.

Gilraen

Back to top Go down

Post  puddingcup on Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:01 pm

So I finished it at 2 in the morning. It didn't live up to the massive expectations for me, but it was obviously unputdownable. My library copy had a PAGE RIPPED OUT (so that's 2 pages, bc both sides). It was right at the start of the games too. Augh! I won't be reading the others until at least the weekend and maybe later. What's the consensus as to which of the trilogy is the best/worst? I heard that Mockingjay was a disappointment.

puddingcup

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:51 pm

Mockingjay is definitely worst, but I can't remember which of the other two books I thought was best. Both were very strong and tightly written.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:52 pm

I favor Mockingjay to Catching Fire. Neither are quite as good as The Hunger Games, but Catching Fire is largely wheel spinning into a cliffhanger, whereas Mockingjay is wheel spinning with a resolution. And I think all three are quite excellent, even if Mockingjay could have been cut down sixty pages or so.

I have a feeling, though, that Catching Fire is going to end up being my favorite movie because I don't really see the point in two Mockingjay movies.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  punzy on Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:11 pm

I think I preferred Catching Fire, mostly because of how the action is framed.

I just read the 2 books of Velveteen vs. It is a fun series and I hope there are more. The first few stories are available on the author's website for free.

about a strange superhero universe where cosmic powers not only came with great responsibility, they came with great legislation, merchandising, and focus group oversight. Many young heroes were effectively "adopted" by a corporate entity known as The Super Patriots, Inc., which promised to teach them how to best control their amazing gifts. Some of those junior heroes wanted out. Very few of them ever got it. Velma "Velveteen" Martinez was one of the young heroes "adopted" by The Super Patriots, Inc. Sweet, smart, and totally marketable, with a power that lent itself well to the kiddie market, she seemed destined to be one of the company's most enduring properties...right up until the day she walked out on the hero world, choosing to return to a civilian life. The reasons are still coming out. More importantly, the Marketing Department is still trying to get her back. The Velveteen vs. series follows Velma's adventures as she tries to figure out what to do with her life. Most are set in the years following her departure from The Super Patriots, Inc., although a few flashbacks have shown up, giving us a look at what her life was like before she decided to take it back.

punzy

Back to top Go down

Post  MaddyCat on Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:14 pm

Reading Allegiant because I'm a completist and need to know how it all turns out, despite the negative reviews here and basically everywhere.

I'm definitely reading it with wariness but so far (I'm one-third through) it's okay. I don't love the alternating chapter structure though; sometimes I forget who's narrating, then I get confused about something and have to go back to see which one it is.

MaddyCat

Back to top Go down

Post  Raksha on Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:50 pm

Today I finished Gun Machine by Warren Ellis. So good! It begins with the discovery of an apartment full of guns. Guns all over the floors and walls in a strange pattern. Each gun turns out to have been used in an unsolved homicide. Because it's a potential career ender, the case gets handed to John Tallow, the detective who discovered the room in the aftermath of seeing his partner's murder. He wasn't a terribly engaged cop before his partner was killed, so the higher ups figure it will be easier to explain away the inevitable failure of the case and get rid of Tallow as a scape goat. Tallow surprises everyone and actually digs in on the case. Then things get weird!
Raksha

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:36 am

I love nothing more than a sizzling mystery so that is definitely going on my list!

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Raksha on Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:17 am

I should probably clarify it isn't quite a whodunit (although it kind of is?), but rather a what-the-fuck-is-going-on. I'm having a hard time describing it for some reason.
Raksha

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 39 of 40 Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top