Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tom Hanks

+16
QueenSix
mokey75
Gillian
dinahmoe
Kiran
mayram
Cynara
Cutebutpsycho
TiffanyNichelle
laddical
maxell131313
eventide82
Rhilin
Red Wolf
vwlphb
blixie
20 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Tom Hanks Empty Tom Hanks

Post  blixie Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:38 pm

I haven't seen Cloud Atlas yet, but I'm starting this topic because his exchange with Jeremy Renner re: Kubrick movies in the WSJ illustrates why he is a national treasure who needs to host the Oscars/GG yesterday. I feel like he is just the most naturally witty and on his toes celebrity out there, and loves to take the piss out of celebrity even while he's one of the biggest ones in Hollywood.

Also I hate myself for loving Volunteers, with it's very 80's approach to offensive cultural humor, but that movie makes me laugh like a loon. "Move this log and I'll sleep with each one of you." I also think Nothing in Common is one of the best performances of his career.

blixie
Mod Squad

https://thesnarkening.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Tom Hanks Empty Re: Tom Hanks

Post  vwlphb Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:58 pm

He was hilarious on The Colbert Report last week.

And he's going to play Walt Disney, the first time Walt has been portrayed by an actor in film.

vwlphb

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Wolf Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:23 pm

And he was very good on the Nerdist. He's just... a likeable sort of person.

Red Wolf

Back to top Go down

Post  Rhilin Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:38 pm

Tom Hanks tends to play the exact same role in every film he's in (though to be fair, he's branched out a bit in the last few years), but as a person he's so likable I just can't resent him for it. Any other actor I'd write off as one-note, but he just seems to be in on the joke. I don't know, Tom Hanks is my blind spot.

Rhilin

Back to top Go down

Post  eventide82 Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:45 pm

I love him. I don't even care if he plays the same characters, I would watch him read the phone book. He just seems like an awesome dude.
eventide82
eventide82

http://boredomaboundsbyjulia.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  maxell131313 Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:01 pm

I adore Tom Hanks and will hear no ill-word said against him. I don't get too attached to Hollywood people but if anything ever happened to him, I would be genuinely distraught.

Favorite Hanx (as he refers to himself on Twitter) movies: The Money Pit, Dragnet, Big, Turner and Hooch, Joe Versus The Volcano, A League of Their Own, Sleepless In Seattle, Forrest Gump, Saving Private Ryan, Apollo 13, Toy Story 1, 2, and 3, That Thing You Do!, Catch Me If You Can, Cast Away, The Terminal, and The Polar Express. There have been the rare movies that he's been in that I have disliked but I attributed that to poor script or the other actors not holding their own. I have no explanation for Larry Crowne other than my extreme dislike of Julia Roberts.
maxell131313
maxell131313

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:29 pm

I miss him hosting SNL too he started the five timers club I think, but Alec/Steve/John have lapped him, in Alec's case twice! I need a new Mr Short Term Memory Sketch.

My favorite Hanx besides Volunteers: Splash, Big, The Money Pit, Punchline, Joe v. The Volcano, A League of Their Own, Apollo 13, and of course Toy Story franchise. I even liked Larry Crowne but I'm a huge Julia fan too so, yeah.

Lord I will never get over him mocking GOOP's obviously overplayed histrionics when she won her Oscar, even more so since I'm sure he's one of her many "uncles".

blixie
Mod Squad

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:44 pm

I don't know about him always playing the same character. Sometimes, but not always, and not just in the last few years. I think most of his risk-taking came in the '90s, though even things like Big pushed him beyond the affable everyman he'd played in most of his comedies. He's just not one of those actors that buries himself in his roles - more of a "let's pretend" sort of actor than a method one. I mean, one of the first roles I really remember him in outside of Splash was his guest appearance on Family Ties playing Elyse's brother, an alcoholic so desperate he tried drinking vanilla extract. He was funny there, too, but it wasn't anything like the movie roles he was playing.

I adore That Thing You Do! in ways that probably aren't healthy. Love everything about it. My answer anytime someone asks me what something is, even if it's not money, is, "Presidential flashcards?"

And Joe vs. the Volcano is like my personal guide to life. It annoys me to no end that it's always out of print on DVD and hasn't gotten any kind of Blu-Ray release.
laddical
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  TiffanyNichelle Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:41 pm

If the 'Burbs is on tv I have to stop and watch it. I don't know what it is about that silly movie.
TiffanyNichelle
TiffanyNichelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Cutebutpsycho Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:07 am

I've seen on Tumblr people doing hyperbolic things like "SOMEDAY. WHEN WE'RE OLD, WE'RE GOING TO HEAR ON THE RADIO THAT OUR FAVORITE STAR DIED!" and then there's a million billion comments like "WHY WOULD YOU SAY THAT?"

I don't feel that way about most of the people listed. I feel that way about Tom Hanks.

And we always end up dropping the line "Don't forget your goatskin leggings!" around our house.
Cutebutpsycho
Cutebutpsycho

Back to top Go down

Post  Cynara Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:29 am

We're partial to "Use your head, [name]! Your head! IT'S THAT LUMP THREE FEET ABOVE YOUR ASS."

Cynara

Back to top Go down

Post  mayram Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:23 am

TiffanyNichelle wrote:If the 'Burbs is on tv I have to stop and watch it. I don't know what it is about that silly movie.

Oh man, the Burbs. The scene of him snorting a combination of pretzel/sardine through his nose will never stop being funny.

I don't know about him always playing the same character. Sometimes, but not always, and not just in the last few years. I think most of his risk-taking came in the '90s, though even things like Big pushed him beyond the affable everyman he'd played in most of his comedies. He's just not one of those actors that buries himself in his roles - more of a "let's pretend" sort of actor than a method one. I mean, one of the first roles I really remember him in outside of Splash was his guest appearance on Family Ties playing Elyse's brother, an alcoholic so desperate he tried drinking vanilla extract. He was funny there, too, but it wasn't anything like the movie roles he was playing.

I don't think he plays the same characters all the time either. He's been in A LOT of movies and there are definitely some repeated themes, but his overall repertoire has a fair bit of variety, particularly in the 90's.

We're partial to "Use your head, [name]! Your head! IT'S THAT LUMP THREE FEET ABOVE YOUR ASS."

I'd have a hard time choosing my number one favorite Tom Hanks character, but Jimmy Dugan might be it. So many great lines and such a great performance. I loved the relationship between him and Geena Davis in that movie. That's one I can't pass by on TV.

Last edited by mayram on Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

mayram

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:22 pm

I once had a coworker say that my fixation on Tom Hanks was weird and not normal. In her defense I had just informed her of my very in depth plan to woo Tom Hanks.

I am weird, I don't really have any celebrities I super fangirl. I mean theres a lot that I like, but I generally am weirdly neutral? Like I hate very few people I don't actually know and when I do love a celeb and someone hates them I just go eh cause whatever. But. I love Tom Hanks in such a scary creepy way that I will hear nothing ill about him.

I don't even know why. I have a problem. I'm going to leave now.
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:44 pm

My only complaint about Hanks right now is that he hasn't allowed himself to be really truly loosey goosey funny on screen for a long time. I liked Larry Crowne, but it still felt very elder statesman Tom, rather than that early Wild n Crazy Steve Martin-esque funny man he was in his youth. Part of me would love it he did something Bachelor Party/Volunteers/Splash/Money Pit/'Burbs like today.

blixie
Mod Squad

Back to top Go down

Post  mayram Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:48 pm

blixie wrote:My only complaint about Hanks right now is that he hasn't allowed himself to be really truly loosey goosey funny on screen for a long time. I liked Larry Crowne, but it still felt very elder statesman Tom, rather than that early Wild n Crazy Steve Martin-esque funny man he was in his youth. Part of me would love it he did something Bachelor Party/Volunteers/Splash/Money Pit/'Burbs like today.

This is true. It seems like his personality only comes through these days in silly interview clips, like the Single ladies one or that time he did the weather for the spanish channel.

mayram

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:49 pm

And I get that he probably considers much of those titles save Splash, low brow and forgettable (well except Volunteers, guessing he's probably still fond of that one!), but dude SO FUNNY, so so funny.

blixie
Mod Squad

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:09 pm

There is a bit in Cloud Atlas where he gets to play a very un Tom Hanks like thuggish writer and he is actually very fun in the role.

The Ladykillers isn't a great movie but you can tell hes having a great time with it. Its funny to see him be totally ridiculous.

I am very excited to see his Somalian Pirate Movie though.
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:02 pm

All the characters he has in Cloud Atlas - with the possible exception of Isaac Sachs and "Actor in TV Movie" - are pretty much Anti-Tom Hanks. I kinda wish we'd gotten a bit more time with Dermot Hoggins, the cockney thug, but man... Zachry. Watching him as Zachry was *amazing*.
laddical
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  Cynara Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:39 pm

I may have leaned over to my sister and wailed "Willllsoooonnnn" very quietly at one point when Zachry is contemplating the sea. May have. Who talks in the theater? God.

Cynara

Back to top Go down

Post  eventide82 Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:42 pm

I'd have a hard time choosing my number one favorite Tom Hanks character, but Jimmy Dugan might be it. So many great lines and such a great performance. I loved the relationship between him and Geena Davis in that movie. That's one I can't pass by on TV.

Yeah, that's my favourite character as well. The part where he hustles all the ladies out of the church saying "Come on, God knows we have a baseball game" or whatever, and then does the sign of the cross and points vaguely threateningly at Jesus on the altar cracks me up.

Also, I loved him in Catch Me If You Can.

"Knock knock"
"Who's there?"
"Go fuck yourself!"
eventide82
eventide82

http://boredomaboundsbyjulia.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  dinahmoe Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:34 pm

Jimmy Dugan is the best. I credit him with the fact that I have indeed, avoided the clap all of these years.
dinahmoe
dinahmoe

Back to top Go down

Post  maxell131313 Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:09 pm

That's good advice!
maxell131313
maxell131313

Back to top Go down

Post  Cutebutpsycho Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:12 pm

I loved him in Catch Me If You Can. That's also just one of those movies that causes me to stop and watch.
Cutebutpsycho
Cutebutpsycho

Back to top Go down

Post  dinahmoe Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:35 pm

maxell131313 wrote:That's good advice!
I KNEW someone would get my back on this one. Nice!
dinahmoe
dinahmoe

Back to top Go down

Post  Gillian Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:00 am

I have a friend who is only my friend because we used to work together, and one day I heard her mention how much she loved Lost. We started talking about it, discovered we have the same taste in almost everything, and basically became instant BFFs. One day I asked her if she had seen That Thing You Do! (favorite Hanx movie of all time right here), she didn't know what it was, and when I started to explain it she was like, "Ugh, I hate Tom Hanks." I literally didn't know how to respond. I think I actually gaped at her. I just could not comprehend how she could hate the most likeable guy we've never met. Be ambivalent towards? Fine. Not care for? Maaaaybe. But hate? I questioned the strength of our friendship after that one.

Gillian

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum