Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Boy Meets World

+8
laddical
ulkis
choubetcha
Gilraen
big chicken
biakbiak
Arabella
punzy
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Boy Meets World Empty Boy Meets World

Post  punzy Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:23 pm

Followed by Girl Meets World. I do not know how I feel about this.

punzy

Back to top Go down

Boy Meets World Empty Re: Boy Meets World

Post  Arabella Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:33 pm

I suppose it's possible for Corey and Topanga to have a preteen daughter but it seems a little soon? And with it being a Disney show, the focus would mostly be on the kid because the current Disney demo probably couldn't care less about the parents, while original Boy Meets World fans wouldn't necessarily be interested in watching the adventures of a sixth-grader in 2013. It will be very tricky trying to play to the two audiences. When I was growing up family sitcoms had kids and their parents watching them together but it's like TV sitcom writers have forgotten how to do shows that can appeal to a wide age range.

Arabella

Back to top Go down

Post  biakbiak Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:43 pm

I mean they got married in 1999, so having an 11 or 12 year old in 2013 doesn't seem that soon.
biakbiak
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  big chicken Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:44 pm

Unless this Girl has an awesome, fun Uncle Shawn, I am not interested. CORY/SHAWN BROTP 4EVA!!!! The show can do all the retconning it wants, but for me Cory and Shawn were the true soulmates on the show and I do not use the word soulmates lightly.

I think I'd be a lot more interested in a reunion movie that the adventures of Cory and Topanga's daughter but I'm probably not the intended audience for Girl Meets World.

big chicken

Back to top Go down

Post  Gilraen Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:02 pm

biakbiak wrote:I mean they got married in 1999, so having an 11 or 12 year old in 2013 doesn't seem that soon.
But they would have had to have her right after the series ended when Topanga was heading off to her internship in NYC. (Or the show could just be set a few years in the future, or Disney could rely on its audience not doing math, I suppose. I'm easy.)

Gilraen

Back to top Go down

Post  choubetcha Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:45 am

YES, I would love to see Uncle Shawn!! Everyone else pretty much optional.

I watched the college seasons only sporadically; did they all have plans for careers when they graduated? Not that they couldn't have switched jobs since but what did they head off from college to do?

(I am totally engrossed in the wikipedia article. I had no idea Cory had yet another sibling born in the later seasons! To me, the one necessary plot point if they do a spinoff is what disease Eric was eventually diagnosed with that caused him to get so much stupider over the course of the show. Because, come on.)

choubetcha

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:41 pm

Same one Joey Tribbiani got.

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:46 pm

I believe it's been called Flandersitis.
laddical
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:38 pm

I agree with the Cory/Shawn. Remember the two times they broke up? They totally played them as torn lovers. The first time they met in the library and Shawn bought Cory initialed pastries. The second time they broke up Shawn had a conversation with the new guy Cory was hanging out with about how he couldn't eat cake with Cory at the Paramus Mall because that was their thing and Cory straight up declared he was eating another boy's grapes. but I also demand that Mr Feeny is teaching this preteen daughter and that my beloved Eric is still around. And hopefully has regained some brain cells.

Oh who am I kidding. Even when he was dumb as fuck Eric was my shit. ME MANIFESTO. I want to pretend to be a moose so he will marry me and our marriage will be so successful that WE don't require counseling.

Remember the time Eric went out with the crazy happy girl and then he dumped her and she pulled an Alanis and she wrote a song about him that implied he was gay and a life ruiner? Or the time Eric had the imaginary tv show about being a cool guy? I don't know what that tall red head whose name I forgot was thinking choosing Jack over Eric. Her priorities, man.

My favorite episode remains the one where Cory and Shawn go undercover as women and Shawn gets groped and learns to be a feminist or something.

Well as you can tell I still watch reruns of this show on ABC family. When I love something I love it ALL THE WAY. And that includes the mid to late 90s TGIF line up. Even the one with the Genie that ended up being a nanny for the single mom and then they had genie/single mom sexual tension.
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:45 pm

I heard Eric loves Chad Kroeger and hates Tom Hanks.
laddical
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  big chicken Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:47 pm

Rachel! I did not like her at all. I remember one episode her feelings got all hurt because Cory and Shawn didn't treat her like they'd known her since they were babies. Why would you expect your roommate's younger brother to treat you like a member of his inner circle? I wish she and Jack had been shipped off a few episodes early rather than Angela.

Part of the fun of rewatching the series is seeing all the guest stars who went on to do other things. This show was like the Law and Order for child/teen actors back in the day.

Well as you can tell I still watch reruns of this show on ABC family. When I love something I love it ALL THE WAY. And that includes the mid to late 90s TGIF line up.

I think it was on TWoP someone said she didn't think Mr. Feeney was as iconic as William Daniels other roles character on St. Elsewhere and being the voice of KITT on Knight Rider and I really wanted to say it depended on who you talked to. Because I've never seen an episode of St. Elsewhere in my life (is it even on DVD?) but everyone I know of a certain age recognizes Mr. Feeney.

Or as Eric occasionally called him, Mr. FEEEE-HEEEE-EEEEEE-NEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

Last edited by big chicken on Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

big chicken

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:47 pm

I think you are thinking of one Minkus. And he would. Thats why he has to go to the other side of the school.

This show was also how I fell in love with Adam Scott. Oh Griffin. I wish they'd kept you on more then three episodes.

And yes! Alex Mack was one of Shawn's recurring girlfriends, and the first girl he actually loved, Lex from Jurassic Park was an abused girl that Cory thought Shawn was sexin', Lady Terminator/Bloodrayne tried to break up Shawn and Cory, Marla Sokoloff was TK's sister, Brittany Murphy was recurring for a while, and Linda Cardellini DID break up Cory and Topanga. And then Topanga went out with Lucky Spencer.

Ugh Rachel. The one Rachel episode I liked was the one where Eric Truman Showed her. Also do you remember how Jack started taking roids or something and got manscaped and came back the last season and everyone was like WOOOO but I always thought he was cuter before the makeover.
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  Gillian Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:12 pm

This show was also how I fell in love with Adam Scott. Oh Griffin. I wish they'd kept you on more then three episodes.
When I found out that Griffin was Adam Scott, my head exploded. That was this summer. I don't remember how I stumbled upon this random piece of information, but I do know that I spent some time on YouTube finding as many of his scenes as I possibly could.

Boy Meets World references come up a lot in our family. My brothers and I named a cat Mr. Feeny when we were in college, and that cat is still alive to this day. When I texted my sister earlier today to tell her she had to vote at a different polling place than she originally thought, I added an "Of this I am sure" to the end of it, because for some reason when I am sure of things I think of that episode where Topanga and Angela liked to go out dancing with their Latin restaurant bosses and Cory and Shawn got jealous and hung out with tall Swedish girls at the gym and at the end all the guys did a choreographed dance number to Hot Stuff. There was a chicken running around my apartment complex a few weeks ago (I have no idea why), which prompted an immediate "CHICKENS IN THE HALLWAY!" from my sister. Childhood shows, man. They are a sacred, sacred thing. I'm sort of stressed about a sequel. I would totally watch an episode if I knew an original cast member was going to show up, but I hate the thought of the original cast members being so hard up for cash that they have to show up. It's too sad.

I never much cared for the genie TGIF show, but I did love the show where that kid died from eating a hamburger and started haunting (in angel form) his best friend and that dude from Firefly played God's cousin Rod. Teen Angel? I think it was called Teen Angel.

Gillian

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:17 am

Oh the genie one was so the worst. I was just mentioning it to demonstrate my love. Sabrina was the only real challenger to Boy Meets World. May the late lamented Two of a Kind. Or Family Matters.

I loved Teen Angel. I always remember the ep he caked on make up to woo his old crush and found out she liked him when he was alive.
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:49 pm

Weren't Ten of Us and Perfect Strangers TGIF shows too?

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:50 pm

Yes, as was Full House.
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:57 pm

Yeah, I was gonna say wouldn't they be challengers to Boy Meets World too but I'm guessing you meant shows that were on the same years as Boy Meets World?

Anyway, since I never weighed in on the original topic - I am all for any spin offs if Uncle Shawn makes an appearance.

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:01 pm

Yes, by the end of their runs, but I know Perfect Strangers didn't start out that way (TGIF didn't even exist at that point).
laddical
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:16 pm

I would still say that Boy Meets World wins to me. Now do I love Balki and his dance of joy? Did I love Stefan Urquelle? Yes. Did Full House teach me and my grandma english (dont ask but yes that and Price is Right is the reason I went to Kindergarden with any verbal skills)? YES. BUT. Boy Meets World taught me that if I am ever lured in by a cult all I need is a best friend like Cory and an overinvolved teacher like Mr Feeny and they will lock. that. shit. down.
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  Gillian Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:17 pm

Uuugggghhh never mind. That whole thing I just posted was wrong. Nothing to see here!

Gillian

Back to top Go down

Post  KaveDweller Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:27 am

Regarding the age of their daughter....when the show originally started, Corey and Shawn were in 6th grade, one year younger than me. Yet somehow they graduated high school a year before I did. So, there's a history of playing with time. It wouldn't be the worst offense to age them a bit more. Or have their kid age faster than normal.

I think it was on TWoP someone said she didn't think Mr. Feeney was as iconic as William Daniels other roles character on St. Elsewhere and being the voice of KITT on Knight Rider and I really wanted to say it depended on who you talked to. Because I've never seen an episode of St. Elsewhere in my life (is it even on DVD?) but everyone I know of a certain age recognizes Mr. Feeney.

When I was in college I took this film/tv criticism class and our professor talked about St. Elsewhere all the time. And every time he referred to William Daniel's character, he would say, "who you know as Mr. Feeney" all annoyed. Because he thought the character on St. Elsewhere was so much better and he hated that our generation only knew him from some silly sitcom.

KaveDweller

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:16 pm

Kiran, I completely forgot about Teen Angel! Man, TGIF really was where it was at on Friday nights back when I was a youngster. Boy Meets World was just fuckin' awesome, and I love the ep where Shawn and Cory crossdress. I can't recall the reason why they did it though, but I believe Cora was Cory's name and Shawn's name was Veronica, which was so appropriate for both of them. I started getting annoyed with the show when Cory and Topanga began dating because it felt like the vibe changed a lot after that. It got romantically angsty when I'd have preferred to just see Cory and Shawn keep doing their bromance thing with Topanga being their oddball third wheel every now and then, like in junior high.

Eric was so adorable that it hurt. Will Friedle was fine back in the days! Also, I wanna name my new car Mr. Feeny now. Unfortunatly, I've already christened it Walter Horace Vandergelder after Walter Matthau and his character in Hello, Dolly!

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:19 pm

They were studying Black Like Me in Mr.Turner's class and Cory's hobby of the week was journalism so he wanted to do something called Chick Like Me. Topanga had a friend in the beginning of the episode that went on a date that was all handsy, so both Cory and Shawn did drag but Shawn was a gorgeous woman and Cory was hideous (and his hosiery kept bunching). I believe the guy got handsy with Shawn too but he revealed his real voice and punched him. Then he used his new enlightenment to go on a date with Topanga's friend that got groped.

I have watched this show too much.
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:47 pm

I must say that it's very handy having someone around who recalls BMW way better than I do. It was going to drive me crazy trying to remember why they dressed in drag! Cora was the waitress during Veronica's date, right? I can still hear the little raspy voice he used when he was in character!

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:48 pm

Yes. Yes he was. And Mr. Feeny thought they were having a gender related crisis and said his door was always open.
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum