Oscars 2013

Page 6 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Oscars 2013

Post  Paris, Texas on Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:32 pm

Yeah, it's kind of insane that Argo won the cast award. I mean, I'm all for more Clea Duvall on the big screen and am watching the rise of Scoot McNairy as much as the next person, but the acting award against that level of competition from Lincoln, SLP and arguably Les Mis? Maybe Harvey was unwise to limit the SLP cast submission - Jon Ortiz, certainly, Dash Mihok and Julia Stiles deserved to be nominated in the group.

I do hate him a bit for the whitewashing, but Ben is truly a genius at glad handing. He acts self-deprecating without overdoing the smarm, and regales us with tales his sorry past and even present (dissing the Terrence Malick film was very disrespectful, unreleasable or not) without irritating the public. Mind you, Clooney brings smarm on in bucketloads and Anne Hathaway won't shut up about the trials of being a Disney Princess and the Academy loves them.

He's so blessed.

Jennifer Lawrence should get her ass into an easy chair, stat. She looked uneasily dewy, and award campaigning is not worth diminished lung capacity. Pneumonia is not to be messed with.

Paris, Texas

Back to top Go down

Post  ActonBell on Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:33 pm

I wonder if Affleck is getting all of the standing ovations not for Argo, but for being able to come back from Gigli and the Jenny From the Block video. It seemed like his Bennifer phase was going to be a career killer.
ActonBell

Back to top Go down

Post  Binky on Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:58 pm

I think Ben is very savvy, but I also think he's very grateful and genuinely thrilled by his success. There was a recent interview/quote in the (I think) dumb quotes thread that made it clear he is still hurt/pissed/petty about that time period where he was a joke. I also think Argo is deserving and that he's a better director than he is an actor. Gone Baby Gone deserved more recognition, but he's getting it now because Argo also kissed hollywood ass .But Actonbell probably isn't wrong that some of the acclaim is for him getting his act together after Gigli and really doing well, instead of, you know, molesting reporters, and kissing his girlfriend's ass in music videos.
Binky

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile on Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:01 pm

But the standing ovations are getting insufferable. It's ARGO. Ben Affleck being feted as if he's as overdue as Scorcese was during The Departed's run is kind of insane.

Seriously. Ben is 40 and this is only his third-ever directorial effort. He's going to be fine, and the five people who WERE nominated in the Director category ain't no slouches. Had Argo come out last year, and Ben was overlooked with a lot of boring movies nominated instead of him, I'd say there was something rotten in the state of California, but this year has a lot of really good movies. And unlike the other widely-regarded director who wasn't nominated, he's not being compared to a Nazi propagandist, so I don't get the outrage.

Mind you, Clooney brings smarm on in bucketloads and Anne Hathaway won't shut up about the trials of being a Disney Princess and the Academy loves them.

I have to say, I don't know why Anne gets knocked for her press and speeches when no one said boo about Jessica Chastain spending half of her Golden Globes speech whining about how hard she's worked and how she's FINALLY getting recognized for all the HARD WORK she's done. I like her, but this is only her second-ever nomination and she had seven films come out in one year. Girlfriend has no cause for complaints.
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  Agent Sculder on Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:10 pm

[quote="queenofdenile"]
I have to say, I don't know why Anne gets knocked for her press and speeches when no one said boo about Jessica Chastain spending half of her Golden Globes speech whining about how hard she's worked and how she's FINALLY getting recognized for all the HARD WORK she's done. I like her, but this is only her second-ever nomination and she had seven films come out in one year. Girlfriend has no cause for complaints.

I think with Chastian she's referring to the fact it's taken a very long time to become an "overnight" success. One of the reasons why she had so many films come out in one year was that some of the were shelved for a while. She's pretty famously coy about her age (I think she says she's 35), but I have heard speculation she's actually nearly 40. I hate to psychoanalyze, but I would guess she may think this may be her only shot to win since Hollywood isn't kind to many actresses in their late 30s/early 40s.

Agent Sculder

Back to top Go down

Post  Unlucky Bear on Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:31 am

(I also think, that judging by modern day Tony Mendez at the Golden Globes, he actually looks a great deal like Affleck.

I read an interview with Tony Mendez. Someone asked him how he felt about Affleck's portrayal, and he replied that Affleck wasn't good-looking enough to play him. He sounds like a hoot.
Unlucky Bear
Official Succubus

Back to top Go down

Post  Arabella on Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:46 am

Jessica Chastain is 35. Her year of birth was being reported as 1981 for a while, but when The Help came out, Mandisa from American Idol was like, "OMG, I went to high school with Celia!" on Twitter and posted a yearbook scan of her, and it was worked out that she was in the class of 1995. I think she's sincere in talking about how long she's had to work before becoming an "overnight sensation", but I do feel an undercurrent that she's trying to persuade voters into rewarding her instead of her much more youthful competition, Jennifer or Quvenzhane, though maybe I'm reading too much into it and that's the last thing on her mind.

Arabella

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile on Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:53 am

I have a hard time thinking that she, or anyone, considers Quvenzhane a threat. Hers was my favorite performance of the three, but her nomination was her win. Lawrence, I can definitely understand her feeling threatened by, as she now seems to be the frontrunner. I didn't get a sense of passive-aggressiveness towards her competition in her speech, though, just more of a general complaining about how hard she's struggled. And I'm sure she has! But what, like every other actress in Hollywood has had it easy? Come on. I'd be interested in hearing her speak about the challenges in her career in a print or television interview, but not in an acceptance speech. Time and place.
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  Poubelle on Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:38 am

Enh, I don't mind Chastain talking about how she's worked so hard and for so long, because, hey, it's true, and she seems to sincerely mean it, unlike, say, Reese Witherspoon and her "just trying to matter!" speech back in the day. I think too many other actors recognize what it means to finally get your big break at her age for there to be much actual backlash.
Poubelle

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames on Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:24 pm

I totally thought Chastain was 27. But, yeah, I thought she came out of nowhere, and then looking at her IMDB she's been at it for a while. Though, I know she has a bunch of TV stuff that I know I saw but I don't specifically recall her standing out. But she's smart, doing as much work as she can possibly do while it's being given to her (aka The Alba Technique).
RiverThames

http://www.mrmaresca.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran on Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:39 pm

I actually thought Ben Affleck was very good in Argo. I was more impressed with his performance in the Town but thats because I thought that was a flashy performance. I don't know, I found him fairly compelling. Particularly in the scenes where hes interacting with the hostages. I mean he wasn't in my oscar best actor list, but I thought he was quite good.

His most impressive performance for me continues to be Hollywoodland but I think hes actually quite underrated as an actor.
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  punkysdilemma on Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:03 pm

Arabella wrote:Jessica Chastain is 35. Her year of birth was being reported as 1981 for a while, but when The Help came out, Mandisa from American Idol was like, "OMG, I went to high school with Celia!" on Twitter and posted a yearbook scan of her, and it was worked out that she was in the class of 1995.

TIL I went to high school with someone from Idol. I can confirm Jessica was in my high school class, we're class of 1995.
punkysdilemma

Back to top Go down

Post  biakbiak on Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:23 pm

But what, like every other actress in Hollywood has had it easy? Come on. I'd be interested in hearing her speak about the challenges in her career in a print or television interview, but not in an acceptance speech. Time and place.

To me acknowledging your own challenges/time it took to get a break diminishes others struggles, in fact it can inspire others who might still be waiting.
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile on Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:31 pm

Honest Descriptions of Oscar-Nominated Movies. My favorite is the one for Beasts. I also enjoy the Amour one even though it's partially inaccurate (the director is Austrian, not French).
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  big chicken on Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:50 pm

It's easy to confuse France and Austria because both were ruled by Emperors in the past and now have Oscar nominated musicals where everyone speaks with either a British or American accent.

big chicken

Back to top Go down

Post  Poubelle on Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:45 pm

Also, this isn't Haneke's first movie in French, either. (Though he mixed it up with his last film by going German.)
Poubelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Binky on Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:32 pm

Heh, Not Hurt Locker is my favorite. I actually wish that Kathryn Bigelow would direct something lighter and less politically contemporary. Her latest films have a lot of baggage that's not related to her direction but to current events/politics.

I managed to see Zero Dark Thirty and Silver Linings Playbook. I don't think either is going to steal BP. My guess is it will be Lincoln vs Argo.

I don't think ZDT promoted torture; depiction is not endorsement. If someone watched it and went "yeah, do that more!" instead of reacting with horror and disgust, that's on them not the movie.

I think Lawrence will beat out Chastain, though my biggest surprise was how good Bradley Cooper was. I had dismissed him as being from the Psychopathic School of Acting (other graduates include Elizabeth Banks), where acting means being as aggressively unnatural as possible. But he actually ramped down and was excellent. I think he'd have had an excellent chance of winning if not for DDL. I am pretty sure he knows it, too, and wouldn't blame him for sulking his ass off in his seat.
Binky

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames on Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:07 pm

"An excellent chance of winning if not for Daniel Day-Lewis" is the male equivalent of "an excellent chance of winning if not for Meryl Streep". Getting the silver is a pretty damn good achievement there.
RiverThames

http://www.mrmaresca.com

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile on Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:49 pm

He's bronze in my book. I thought he was excellent but I was even more impressed with Denzel, even though his movie itself wasn't as good at SLP. I'm pretty happy with the Best Actor lineup, though I would've had John Hawkes in place instead of Joaquin Phoenix. Phoenix was probably the best thing in a movie that I thought was an utter mess but Hawkes was sooo good.
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  choubetcha on Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:13 pm

If anyone is interested, it looks like four of the five animated short nominees are online now. Adam and Dog, Fresh Guacamole, Head Over Heels, and Paperman are all on youtube. The only one that doesn't seem to be online is the Simpsons short, but honestly, seeing four out of five nominees is better than I usually do in any category.

choubetcha

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile on Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:25 pm

Hilarious Oscar polls at Grantland, doing a March Madness-esque bracketology about the biggest travesties in Oscar history. Explanation here. Facebook page here.

I already don't agree with some of the "winners." Shakespeare in Love winning over Saving Private Ryan is not as big of a deal, IMO, as The Dark Knight not getting nominated (not that I even liked TDK that much, but it was certainly better than the fucking Reader.) But I love that "The entire Best Song category" was an option.
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  Skyblade on Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:33 pm

Maybe backlash due to Rises? Also, Crash winning is technically beating Martin Landeau, but not by as much as it should have. I guess the Heath Ledger contingent isn't that strong on facebook.

It's also funny to see people say like Shawshank Redemption clearly should have won over Forrest Gump, and while I'm not the biggest Forrest Gump myself, how many people were fans of Shawshank before TNT showed it a thousand times a day? Same with a lot of Coen brothers movies. Granted, it's, in theory, the Academy's job to be more on the ball and not get caught up in the zeitgeist, but people take the hindsight aspect for granted.

It's a very interesting bracket, and actually the average for eloquence in the comments is much higher than you see on the internet, Facebook in particular. I mean "Crime movies should never be nominated for best picture as they don't have that required gravitas" is an egregiously wrongheaded sentiment to have, but what a literate way to put it!

Skyblade

Back to top Go down

Post  swsa on Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:37 pm

I do remember feeling, even at the time, that Fargo got massively screwed. But then I absolutely hated The English Patient, so...
swsa

Back to top Go down

Post  Matinee on Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:02 pm

Ooh, fun pages!

My controversial opinion is that The Departed winning is a far bigger travesty than Scorsese not winning until it. I wanted to smash that movie, it's dumb not-surprising tropes, and the stupid stupid rat at the end.

Also, Rocky winning is not a travesty - it's as good or better than other best films. I feel like people judge it by the sequels. At least Rocky isn't The Departed! (ETA: reading more, I see it beat Taxi Driver... ok, I can better understand the outrage now).

Matinee

Back to top Go down

Post  swsa on Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:14 pm

I can understand some of the years when people are annoyed that THIS won over THAT, but some of these years, I kind of wonder what people would've wanted to win instead.

I mean, the year Driving Miss Daisy won, it was up against Born on the Fourth of July, Dead Poets Society, Field of Dreams, and My Left Foot. I can't say I think any of those were more worthy. Although, I think that was also the year of the Do the Right Thing controversy.

The Departed is one of my favorite wins. That and No Country for Old Men winning in 2007/2008 was my fave awards run. And again, were Babel, Letters from Iwo Jima, Little Miss Sunshine, and The Queen more worthy?

swsa

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top