Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Oscars 2013

+50
MtOlivePickles
Miss Moneypenny
Crowbridge
killershrew
Escape
Cynara
inversed
Instant Monkeys
Fraoch
Matinee
choubetcha
punkysdilemma
Unlucky Bear
Paris, Texas
vwlphb
mayram
particle_person
ulkis
Jordan Baker
bbridges
mandalaya
Kookla
mokey75
katha
bookworm
puddingcup
Eris Rising
Cutebutpsycho
Binky
TiffanyNichelle
slmader
biakbiak
mrinsouciance
MLIS
RiverThames
ActonBell
big chicken
BreezyK
Poubelle
blixie
swsa
laddical
Kiran
The Dude
katesti
queenofdenile
Arabella
Agent Sculder
Morning Angel
Skyblade
54 posters

Page 10 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Go down

Oscars 2013 - Page 10 Empty Re: Oscars 2013

Post  biakbiak Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:25 am

The camera work was AWFUL last night in general. No real crowd reactions

I know, I literally didn't think Denzel was there until they got to his category because they didn't cut to him even when they talked about him.
biakbiak
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  TiffanyNichelle Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:30 am

Kiran wrote:The camera work was AWFUL last night in general. No real crowd reactions, and showing Riva when they were supposed to show O'Russell.

They also showed the cast of Silver Linings Playbook when they were supposed to be showing the cast of Beasts of the Southern Wild or at least just Quvenzhané.
TiffanyNichelle
TiffanyNichelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Binky Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:34 am

Kiran wrote:The camera work was AWFUL last night in general. No real crowd reactions, and showing Riva when they were supposed to show O'Russell.

I didn't think of it at the time, but we didn't get many of the awards show type - 'there's A-lister so and so who was in a movie with presenter A in a movie 9 years ago'. Plus the terrible sound. And the banter was nonsensical. I mean, usually banter is pointless, but I think in most cases the presenters saying "peas and carrots" to each other like extras would have been about as informative.
Binky
Binky

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:44 am

Crowbridge wrote:
TiffanyNichelle wrote:A lot of the presenting banter was weird like the thing with Paul Rudd and Melissa McCarthy.
Yeah, WTF was that?

There's always one bit of Intentional Awkwardness for some reason. I guess Stiller said no this year.
RiverThames
RiverThames

http://www.mrmaresca.com

Back to top Go down

Post  woolhat Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:33 am

biakbiak wrote:Apparently they put up a slideshow of more people in the In Memorium on line on their website but I don't get why they couldn't have shown more people when Barbra was singing.

Agreed. I get that a lot of people die in the year and there'll be some exclusions from the death montage. But to just give away half of that time to yet another song and pretend Andy Griffith didn't happen? Bastards.

To put it mildly, I am not a fan of Broadway musicals or Seth MacFarlane. These Oscars just made me increasingly grumpy throughout the night.
woolhat
woolhat

Back to top Go down

Post  terriem Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:57 am

Arabella wrote:The Jaws music to get people off the stage--I really want to know how that came up in the production meeting. So tacky but it also made me laugh in an evil way.

Did they change it throughout the night? I'm sure Quentin Tarantino got played off by the Gone With the Wind theme, which seemed a bit...pointed.

terriem

Back to top Go down

Post  Jude Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:51 am

I just read yesterday that apparently it can be difficult to get a person mentioned on the In Memoriam segment. The family and friends have to actually campaign for it, which I find ridiculous. Letting Andy Griffith off there was inexcusable.

I noticed the sound problem when Adele was singing. The band was overwhelming her, which is also inexcusable. It's Adele!

Jude

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:58 am

I noticed a sound mix problem during the Les Mis bit. Russell Crowe's mike was MUCH higher than everyone else's, so his bits were blowing everyone else away.
RiverThames
RiverThames

Back to top Go down

Post  Cutebutpsycho Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:24 pm

I wonder if they avoided crowd reactions because McFarlane was flopping so damn hard.
Cutebutpsycho
Cutebutpsycho

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:31 pm

Cutebutpsycho wrote:

I wonder if they avoided crowd reactions because McFarlane was flopping so damn hard.

I will say this in McFarlane's defense: it seemed quite clear he knew the ship had hit the iceberg, but he didn't have any choice but to stay on the deck and keep playing.
RiverThames
RiverThames

Back to top Go down

Post  mokey75 Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:42 pm

At one point, (I think it was during the insufferable Ted segment), it really sounded like they had a laugh track going.
mokey75
mokey75

Back to top Go down

Post  killershrew Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:45 pm

Well, that's true. I didn't think he was terribly funny (though I laughed at the boobs song), but I do respect that the man had a job to do and stuck with it. Kind of like Anne Hathaway when she got stuck with James Franco that one year (was it last year? I can't remember). She bugs me, but I respect for her for hanging in there and at least trying to make that whole fiasco work.
killershrew
killershrew

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:00 pm

I still think his monologue was on the whole very funny and just needed to be about five minutes shorter with less of Shatner, and maybe 3 dance numbers instead of what 5, I actually did think the boob joke was satirical pointed and he should know since his girlfriend is on Game of Boobs. His Tommy Lee Jones opening joke was PERFECT and classy and funny, the Flight sketch was the right amount of "edgy", but despite his crude/offensive stuff not making anyone laugh he just kept going back to the well, and I think that goes back to making it about him over the show/Oscars, which is why I don't think comics per se are great hosts. Their comedy is always about THEM, even Crystal's humor came to eclipse the show I think.

blixie
Mod Squad

https://thesnarkening.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:06 pm

blixie wrote: Their comedy is always about THEM, even Crystal's humor came to eclipse the show I think.

Truth. I remember the year that "Mr. Saturday Night" was eligible (and only got a Best Supporting for David Paymer), Crystal's hosting was All. About. Him.
RiverThames
RiverThames

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:16 pm

If the boobs song was meant to be satirical and pointed, I don't think it worked, and that's mostly because not all of those actresses were in gratuitous nude scenes. Hilary Swank's nudity was actually important to the plot/character she was playing, and so were some of the other nude scenes. So if his point was to make fun of how Hollywood insists on gratuitous nudity from its actresses - and I do think that was likely his point - he negated his own satirical message by pretending ALL those nude scenes could be lumped into the "gratuitous show us your boobs" shot. And also further negated that point with sexualized jokes about Jennifer Aniston and Salma Hayek and QUVENZHANE WALLIS later on. (Even though Quvenzhane wasn't the target - Clooney was - he was still basically saying, "Guess what, 16 years from now he won't want to screw you," and why on earth would someone say that to a nine-year-old?)

But then he also does things like the Tommy Lee Jones joke (which was very cute and funny), Flight sockpuppets, the Sound of Music joke, and then I remember that (as my friend put it), Seth MacFarlane is a big band music fan/musical theater dork/delightful silly person underneath layers and layers of fratboy douchebag. I also enjoyed Meryl's introduction: "This next presenter needs no introduction..." *walks offstage*

I agree that comics shouldn't be hosts, unless they're Tina and Amy, because I do think they were very funny without making the whole ceremony all about them. And absolutely, Tom Hanks needs to host, yesterday. I wonder if they've asked him before and he turned them down? He's so beloved (and rightfully so) that I can't imagine that he hasn't been asked.

The ratings were up this year - do we chalk that up to a host that appeals to that young male demographic, the fact that several of the Best Picture nominees were box-office hits, or both?
queenofdenile
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  Binky Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:01 pm

queenofdenile wrote:
The ratings were up this year - do we chalk that up to a host that appeals to that young male demographic, the fact that several of the Best Picture nominees were box-office hits, or both?

I would say both, but I do think nominating movies people have actually seen is probably a slightly bigger edge. Aside from Amour and Beasts of the Southern Wild, I actually had the opportunity to (legally) see all of the BP nominees and most of the acting nominees. I live in a place where the independent movies rarely come, though they do sometimes (which means I can imagine all the people they DON'T ever go to in smaller towns).

I typically watch the Oscars, but I've usually only seen like one movie. And, often, don't really want to see the other ones. Like: The Reader, for example. I do think the collection of nominees this year was more appealing to people because they'd seen/actually wanted to see them.

But young hosting known to be 'edgy' probably helped, too.
Binky
Binky

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:03 am

because not all of those actresses were in gratuitous nude scenes

No I thought the point was that women are pressured to get naked at some point in their career to really get anywhere, like say the Oscars, whether it be gratuitous or "for the art" and if you flipped the song to I saw your dick, there'd be maybe five guys on it, and three of them would be Ewan MacGregor. If anything I thought it was the tone of the bit that makes me doubt he had any point at all, but JLaw being singled out as having NOT done any nudity, and then winning, put an ironic exclamation mark on that, for me. But again he should have cut at least two of the songs, and the boobs one wasn't really funny enough, or sharp enough to warrant being the centerpiece of the monologue.

blixie
Mod Squad

https://thesnarkening.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Skyblade Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:21 am

Didn't the ratings just jump by a million from last year? That's not even a lot, comparing a crop of legitimate hits and stars this year, to 2012's anemic roster.

Skyblade

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:30 am

blixie wrote:
because not all of those actresses were in gratuitous nude scenes

No I thought the point was that women are pressured to get naked at some point in their career to really get anywhere, like say the Oscars, whether it be gratuitous or "for the art" and if you flipped the song to I saw your dick, there'd be maybe five guys on it, and three of them would be Ewan MacGregor. If anything I thought it was the tone of the bit that makes me doubt he had any point at all, but JLaw being singled out as having NOT done any nudity, and then winning, put an ironic exclamation mark on that, for me. But again he should have cut at least two of the songs, and the boobs one wasn't really funny enough, or sharp enough to warrant being the centerpiece of the monologue.

Strange but true: Jennifer Lawrence is the first Best Actress winner not to have a nude scene on her resume since at least 1989. I say at least because I'm not 100% certain Jessica Tandy doesn't either.
RiverThames
RiverThames

Back to top Go down

Post  The Dude Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:34 am

Does her sex tape with Hume Cronin count?
The Dude
The Dude

Back to top Go down

Post  Skyblade Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:22 am

Julia Roberts has never really done nudity, and I think Sandra Bullock has only done "nudity". At least, it counts as much as Jennifer Lawrence as Mystique. Also, I think Cathy Bates's came much later.

Skyblade

Back to top Go down

Post  blooey Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:48 pm

blixie wrote:I still think his monologue was on the whole very funny and just needed to be about five minutes shorter with less of Shatner, and maybe 3 dance numbers instead of what 5, I actually did think the boob joke was satirical pointed and he should know since his girlfriend is on Game of Boobs. His Tommy Lee Jones opening joke was PERFECT and classy and funny, the Flight sketch was the right amount of "edgy", but despite his crude/offensive stuff not making anyone laugh he just kept going back to the well, and I think that goes back to making it about him over the show/Oscars, which is why I don't think comics per se are great hosts. Their comedy is always about THEM, even Crystal's humor came to eclipse the show I think.

Way late to the party, but this is exactly how I felt about it, too.

I like Seth MacFarlane and his humor, but I thought it was very out-of-place here. That's not why I watch the Oscars, and that crowd isn't one that would enjoy his humor. He did try, though, and I appreciate that.

My biggest problems of the night didn't really have to do with him, though. I love musical numbers as much as the next person, but so many? It's like the producers thought they'd been hired to do the Tonys or something.

Mostly I couldn't believe how much time news outlets spent talking about his hosting (and why everyone hates Anne Hathaway, wtf?) than about, you know, actual news.

blooey

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10