Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Oscars 2013

+50
MtOlivePickles
Miss Moneypenny
Crowbridge
killershrew
Escape
Cynara
inversed
Instant Monkeys
Fraoch
Matinee
choubetcha
punkysdilemma
Unlucky Bear
Paris, Texas
vwlphb
mayram
particle_person
ulkis
Jordan Baker
bbridges
mandalaya
Kookla
mokey75
katha
bookworm
puddingcup
Eris Rising
Cutebutpsycho
Binky
TiffanyNichelle
slmader
biakbiak
mrinsouciance
MLIS
RiverThames
ActonBell
big chicken
BreezyK
Poubelle
blixie
swsa
laddical
Kiran
The Dude
katesti
queenofdenile
Arabella
Agent Sculder
Morning Angel
Skyblade
54 posters

Page 2 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Oscars 2013 - Page 2 Empty Re: Oscars 2013

Post  queenofdenile Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:30 pm

Critic's Choice Award nominees. Django Unchained included in the Best Picture nominations, but McCongauhey (and Bardem for Skyfall, wtf?) get in over DiCaprio. Ann Dowd from Compliance (and Judi Dench for Skyfall, wtf?) is in over Samantha Barks.

I'm trying to figure out how Best Actress is going to go this year. Riva and Cotillard are both getting great press and neither are losing steam so far, but would the Academy really nominate two French-speaking performances in the same category in the same year? Will Quvenzahne Wallis's ineligibility for the SAGs hurt her chances for an Oscar nod? Will the Academy find the premise of The Impossible as offensive as I do (first movie about the tsunami and it's all about white tourists, really?) and not include Watts? (Doubtful, they nominated The Reader for Best Picture, after all.)
queenofdenile
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:25 pm

While I understand completely why a lot of people find the Impossible distasteful, I saw it and was quite moved by it. Its also based on a real family, so I find it some what more palatable? I don't know if that makes me a hypocrite, because were it not, I'd probably have a lot of problems with it for similar reasons.
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  Skyblade Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:01 pm

Yeah, the Skyfall props are surprising, especially since they didn't give it one of the ten spots (like I believe they did for Iron Man?) And they tried to keep The Master in the race, but I think they kind of mitigated that momentum by snubbing Anderson for director.

DiCaprio might be a victim of his own success. He has a pretty amazing career of pulling off being both a movie star and prestigious actor, and not even with the "one for me, one for them" cynicism. (He doesn't even have a go-to franchise) But this means he doesn't have to raise his profile or remind people he can act--which is kind of what you get from being in a Tarentino movie. It's not a bad career movie, but it's almost sideways? And the film is probably too outside the Academy's sensibilities to be obligatory. But the movie is getting love and he hasn't been nominated in a while.

Wallis is getting that whole "Put her in supporting because the category loves children" thing, but then again, Hughes managed to get lead for Whale Rider.

Skyblade

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:18 pm

To be fair, I haven't seen Skyfall yet but I do remember that Judi Dench and Javier Bardem got a lot of critical acclaim when it came out.
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  swsa Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:38 pm

I have no problem with Judi Dench being recognized, basically...ever. But I'm sooooo over Bardem. He already has 3 Oscar nominations. I just don't see him as an actor who needs to add a fourth already. Especially for doing a less impressive version of what he did in No Country for Old Men. I hope his momentum stops here.
swsa
swsa

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:44 pm

If Wallis does get in, I think she'll get in Lead. There's seriously no way to justify putting her into Supporting, where True Grit a few years ago at least had the excuse of being a remake with an iconic character and an extremely well-known and respected actor as the "co-lead." I'm mostly concerned that she's ineligible for the SAGs, that the Globes won't nominate her because they just like to nominate as many big stars as possible, and that she'll lose momentum because of it. She's more likely to get in than not, I think, but I have some doubts.

Mostly I think she was just amazing and I want her to get nominated all over the place, and then not win because I don't wish child stardom on anybody.

The Impossible looks like a well-made movie, and it has actors I like. My objections are more about larger cultural issues that I admit are not the sole fault of the movie itself. I'll see it if Watts is nominated (because this is finally going to be The Year where I see every nominee in the Picture/Director/Acting/Screenplay categories, people, I CAN FEEL IT.)

But I'm sooooo over Bardem. He already has 3 Oscar nominations. I just don't see him as an actor who needs to add a fourth already.

It just occurred to me that Amy Adams is almost definitely going to get her fourth Oscar nomination in seven years, and damn, I like her fine, but that seems excessive (especially since I thought she sucked in Doubt).
queenofdenile
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  BreezyK Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:22 pm

Globe noms are out ... and I guess that's the end of Quvenzhane Wallis's consideration - if she can't get in there with 10 spots, I don't think she'll be considered for the Oscars.

BreezyK

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:28 pm

I'm not counting her out just yet, because these are the Globes we're talking about. They're all about star-fucking and inviting as many famous people to the ceremony as possible, and who wants a nine-year-old there? I believe the voting process is different for the Oscars than for the Globes as well - the actors are picked by the number of #1 votes they receive, and I think Wallis could easily receive more #1 votes than some of the others in those categories.

Still, I'm not as hopeful as I once was.

Also, I guess Cotillard is going to beat Riva as the Oscars' Frenchie of choice.
queenofdenile
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  big chicken Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:50 pm

The Globes are also chosen by like 100 journalists not people in the industry itself like SAG or any of the other guilds. I think SAG is probably the best indication of whether or not someone is likely to receive an Oscar nomination.

big chicken

Back to top Go down

Post  Poubelle Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:02 pm

SAG nominations are out, too. Not seeing any real surprises, except they remembered The Paperboy existed. I'm assuming if Best Exotic Marigold Hotel actually makes it to any Oscar noms it's due to the prestige of the actors involved.

(don't worry about the lack of Wallis--she's not eligible)
Poubelle
Poubelle

Back to top Go down

Post  ActonBell Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:11 pm

I'm assuming if Best Exotic Marigold Hotel actually makes it to any Oscar noms it's due to the prestige of the actors involved.

Also, it made money. The Academy seems much more willing to give awards to smaller movies that actually turn a profit than those that no one ends up seeing. I've heard a lot of talk about the lack of box office hurting both The Master and Silver Linings Playbook.
ActonBell
ActonBell

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:04 pm

Salmon Fishing In The Yemen?

Did anyone actually see that?
RiverThames
RiverThames

http://www.mrmaresca.com

Back to top Go down

Post  MLIS Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:10 pm

I don't have much to say about the nominees, but they couldn't proofread that list before they published it? The random capitalization and lack thereof is causing me physical pain.

MLIS

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:17 pm

Maggie Smith's Exotic Marigold nomination for the SAGs is really a nomination for Maggie Smith in Downton Abbey. Judi's Globe nomination for that same film is because the comedy category almost always sucks, and Bridesmaids was last year. Also, see: starfucking.

DeNiro's Globe snub for Silver Linings Playbook is the biggest surprise in my opinion, or maybe Nicole Kidman coming out of nowhere for The Paperboy.
queenofdenile
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  mrinsouciance Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:36 pm

RiverThames wrote:Salmon Fishing In The Yemen?

Did anyone actually see that?

We did, and we liked it. Award-winning? Eh, probably not.

mrinsouciance

Back to top Go down

Post  biakbiak Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:15 pm

Maggie Smith's Exotic Marigold nomination for the SAGs is really a nomination for Maggie Smith in Downton Abbey.

But Maggie did get a SAG Nomination for Downton Abbey as well.
biakbiak
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  swsa Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:22 pm

I'm most shocked the Globes didn't give Streisand a nomination for The Guilt Trip. Primo red carpet opportunity missed there.

And yeah, the DeNiro snub annoys me mostly because I think Arkin's performance was so shallow and insignificant that I honestly don't get how he keeps getting nominated when there are much better and more interesting contenders out there.
swsa
swsa

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:35 pm

I liked him in it at a lot but I think hes getting it because they want to nominate someone from the movie and every other category is crowded and he gets the fun, charming, beloved former winner having fun slot.
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  slmader Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:57 am

Noms are up. So what does everyone thinK?

slmader

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:06 am

I am weirdly pleased with much of that list. Love that Quvenzhané Wallis got in for Actress, love the entire cast of SLP got recognized along with the movie. I think my only real complaint is so much stuff for The Master, but that's because I hate PTA on principle, and that Leo got shut out for PSH. Oh and it looks like no Bigelow for Director so whoever said they'd not want to reward her again so soon was right.

blixie
Mod Squad

https://thesnarkening.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:10 am

I'm obviously beyond thrilled that Quvenzhane Wallis made it in and I'm glad I kept predicting her until the end. I had a feeling that she would benefit from the Oscar voting system - that was a performance that was going to get a lot of #1 votes. I'm also happy that Emmanuelle Riva made it in even though I haven't seen Amour yet, because I love all of that record-breaking shit - oldest and youngest in the same category!

My biggest disappointment is no Kathryn Bigelow or Ben Affleck in directing, though I'm more upset about Bigelow, because I strongly believe that she was snubbed because of all of the pro-torture controversy/backlash (which, having seen the movie, I think is bullshit). She was completely railroaded and it really upsets me. Affleck, I imagined lost out simply because there are a lot of really, really good movies this year and Oscar voters liked Beasts of the Southern Wild and Amour more than they liked Argo.

Also, poor Leo. And John Hawkes's snub is surprising in Actor. I thought DDL was the crown prince and Hawkes/Washington were guaranteed while Cooper/Jackman/Phoenix would duke it out for the last two slots. I guess Hawkes peaked too early.
queenofdenile
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  TiffanyNichelle Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:42 am

The only one I've seen is Silver Linings Playbook so yay for its nominations!
TiffanyNichelle
TiffanyNichelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:54 am

Yeah I was only really upset about the Affleck/Hawkes/Bigelow snubs. I think with Affleck they have become warier of rewarding actors turned directors to soon also, but really I'd have nominated him. And I thought Hawkes was magnificent.

I loved PSH in the Master, myself, but I was hoping Eddie Redmayne would get in instead of Arkin, whom I love but I think is only getting in because they want to reward someone from that movie in acting, but I am mostly really happy for all the noms. Christoph Waltz was not my favorite performance in that film but he was great (Sam Jackson was) and I'm really happy for Weaver and Wallis.
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:04 pm

I definitely would have put in Bigelow or Affleck - or Hooper or Tarantino, for that matter - over David O. Russell. I loved Silver Linings Playbook, but it's not a film that struck me as a major achievement in directing, and Picture/Screenplay/ALL the acting categories seemed sufficient to me.

Agreed on Redmayne/Arkin. Arkin's a great actor but anyone could have played that part. I am very much over Philip Seymour Hoffman, but I have not yet seen The Master so I will try to put my annoyance with him out of my mind when I see the movie.

Also? Maggie Simpson in The Longest Daycare was nominated for Best Animated Short. Anything related to The Simpsons getting an Oscar nomination makes me unreasonably happy. Though I still have not forgiven them for neglecting to nominate the movie in the Best Animated Feature category of that year.
queenofdenile
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  Poubelle Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:21 pm

So how many years are we going to have to wait before the even nominate a woman in the directing category again?

(Cool that Haneke got in, though.)
Poubelle
Poubelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next