Oscars 2013

Page 3 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Oscars 2013

Post  blixie on Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:31 pm

I definitely would have put in Bigelow or Affleck - or Hooper or Tarantino, for that matter - over David O. Russell.

See I guess I can understand that, but I'm really glad he got it. I don't think anyone makes movies that look and feel like his do, no one else could have directed that material and gotten the rhythm and tone just exactly right, and that he has been over his career the best American director working. I am not a Hanaeke fan so I'd have dropped him, and/or Lee who has won before for Affleck/Bigelow, but I don't mind either being shut out because the films themselves are being recognized, and Bigelow did win very recently with film that was very similar in form/content.

I definitely would have rather seen Redmayne/DiCaprio than Arkin or PSH.

blixie
Mod Squad

http://thesnarkening.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:38 pm

Well, I'm glad to see they opened up the Animated category. I don't think any of the movies this year were particularly great - I think Wreck-It Ralph would be my pick, but I think Brave will probably win - but it was really galling to see such truncated lists in years past when there were more than two animated features to be excited about.

And I really really hope Skyfall wins for Song.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  Binky on Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:42 pm

I'm a little surprised and disappointed Argo only got in a main category for supporting Actor.

I am pleased that Les Mis didn't get directing - I thought it was terribly shot with all the incessant boring closeups. And I liked the movie!

I haven't seen anything aside from Les Mis and Lincoln. But I think Lincoln will win most of its categories.
Binky

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile on Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:48 pm

I'm a little surprised and disappointed Argo only got in a main category for supporting Actor.

Picture and Adapted Screenplay, too. Or did you just mean the main acting categories?
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  Binky on Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:56 pm

queenofdenile wrote:

Picture and Adapted Screenplay, too. Or did you just mean the main acting categories?

No, I just can't read. Ten lines is a lot! It blurred together with Amour. Thanks for correcting me, though, I am glad it got a best picture nomination!
Binky

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile on Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:59 pm

Heh, no worries. For an hour I thought there were eight Best Picture nominees and my friend patiently listed all NINE movies several times, and I said, "Well, I never claimed to be good at counting."
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran on Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:51 pm

Even though Ang Lee has won before I am really glad he got in. I think that movie really did hinge on the direction. It wasn't my favorite of the nominees, though I loved it (I actually loved ALL the nominated movies I've seen, I'm very impressed with how strong the nominations are this year, I mean when my biggest whateve is Alan Arkin getting a nomination? Thats good), but it was the one I was most impressed by. Simply because I thought that movie was completely unfilmable.
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  Cutebutpsycho on Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:33 pm

This year is remarkably strong, which pleases me. And I love Ang Lee, so I will always gladly cheer him on. As for songs, I hope Skyfall wins, because Adele sung the hell out of that and it's gorgeous.

I need to see Life of Pi. I have a feeling that and Django are going to be tearing at my heart for best picture.
Cutebutpsycho

Back to top Go down

Post  Eris Rising on Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:37 pm

I'm really disliking the fact that the expanded number of best picture noms means that more worthy directors get snubbed.
Eris Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran on Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:30 pm

Thats always happened though. I think the directors noms would probably be the same if there were only five nominations, the ten movies just lets in films they want to acknowledge but have no shot of winning. Weird snubs always happened. Like the year they nominated Moulin Rouge for a ton of awards but snubbed Baz Luhrmann for David Lynch. Not that David Lynch wasn't totally worthy, but Moulin Rouge was a movie that really hinged on its directing and was Luhrmann's baby.
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  puddingcup on Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:49 pm

I have a question. What's the difference between Best Picture and Best Director? I don't mean literally, I mean, how do you distinguish between a good movie overall and what is the contribution of the director? It's clear when it's costumes, music, writing even, but I've never understood how a movie is fairly nominated for Best Picture and not Best Director and v.v.

puddingcup

Back to top Go down

Post  The Dude on Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:51 pm

Surprised no Affleck for Argo. Dennis Duffy must be pissed.
The Dude

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran on Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:25 pm

Well, there are certain movies that are great, but they are great because of the script or the actors but not the direction. A good example is Tom Hooper. I think hes a good director, I generally like his movies and particularly his tv stuff. But his work usually lacks visual flair. So I was fine with him not getting nominated because even though I really liked Les Mis and thought he made an excellent choice with having the actors sing on set and the costuming, I thought the film was pretty much point and shoot with a lot of close ups. whereas you contrast that with say something like Argo and Ben Affleck and I thought that was a very well directed film. Its very tense, and taut and a lot of that is owed to his direction and his recreation of the period.
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  bookworm on Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:40 pm

I agree. I would rather Ben Affleck had been nominated over Tom Hooper. I fell like his previous Oscar nom for the King's Speech made more of a difference than the actual movie.
bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post  mrinsouciance on Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:49 pm

Overall I don't have many complaints, but I wish Jack Black had been nominated for Bernie. Was really pleased that DeNiro was nominated for Silver Linings Playbook, and I agree with the sentiments above regarding Alan Arkin.

Plus, I am pulling for Adele, too! Skyfall reminded me of the old Shirley Bassey 007 classics.

mrinsouciance

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran on Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:51 pm

Tom Hooper actually wasn't nominated, which...good academy. Though I frankly am still surprised he won over David Fincher. That I think illustrates what to me is a good movie with okay direction and a good movie with great direction. The King's Speech vs The Social Network.

Oh and even though he didn't get nominated this year, I am definitely calling Matthew McCoughney for next year. He probably came very close this year with three excellent performances (including Bernie which reminded me of this) and hes in the Dallas Buyers Club, Mud and Wolf of Wall Street. I think the Academy didn't feel comfortable nominating him this year, but hes been on a career reinvention since the Lincoln Lawyer and I think its going to pay off for him next year.
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  katha on Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:08 pm

You see the difference when it comes to direction with The King's Speech and Lincoln IMO. Both are historical films filled with excellent acting. Hooper did a competent job there, better than for Les Miz going by the reviews (where he might have actually hampered the movie with too much close-ups etc.), but the good script and excellent acting were the standouts, Hooper brought nothing outstanding to the table. While OTOH you have reviewers explicitly praising Spielberg's direction, his decision to not go all sentimental/over the top heroic while still managing to bring his trademark epic sweep, the way he staged it as a political thriller and managed to bring tension into it, even though everybody knows the results etc.

katha

Back to top Go down

Post  The Dude on Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:26 pm

I would give Leo and Sam nods over Waltz in Django.

With the expanded Best Picture category Skyfall should have been nominated especially with a tribute for the series this year, but a Bond movie will never get a non-technical nod.
The Dude

Back to top Go down

Post  puddingcup on Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:49 pm

Tom Hooper is a good illustration. Thanks, Kiran, katha.

puddingcup

Back to top Go down

Post  Skyblade on Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:12 pm

I will say Les Miserables was better (or "more") directed than King's Speech, or for that matter, most of the Oscarbaiting musicals of the last decade.

The Affleck and Bigelow snubs were really surprising considering their movies flirted with frontrunner status. (Especially Argo) Well, they'll probably get free "Direct a shitty movie and still get nominated" cards.

I mentioned this before, but I think DiCaprio just suffered from being in so many Oscar contenders and the category has gone to so many iconic villains lately that he had to do something truly, truly different to get nominated for it. It's really odd that Waltz did, though, since his role was basically Landa's amiability translated to a more sympathetic character.

Interesting that Skyfall grabbed a couple of techs, and really surprised with Snow White and the Huntsman. Also, interestingly Dark Knight Rises was completely shut out of all techs.

Last edited by Skyblade on Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

Skyblade

Back to top Go down

Post  mrinsouciance on Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:14 pm

It's really odd that Waltz did, though, since his role was basically Landa's amiability translated to a more sympathetic character.

That was exactly my thought after watching the film. The same disarming, affable exterior but as you say in a quote-unquote "good guy."

mrinsouciance

Back to top Go down

Post  Agent Sculder on Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:05 pm

The Dude wrote:With the expanded Best Picture category Skyfall should have been nominated especially with a tribute for the series this year, but a Bond movie will never get a non-technical nod.

You would think so, but in order to qualify, I think a film has to get at least 5% (or something like that) 1st place votes for Best Picture during the nominating phase. As good as Skyfall is, I think it would be VERY hard fro it to get that amount of first place votes.

Among the snubs, I feel bad for Affleck, Bigelow, and DiCaprio. I'm starting to think that Leo is the Al Pacino of his generation. When he does finally win it may end up being for his overall body of work rather than the actual role. I'm also wondering if that's why Haneke was nominated for Best Director over Affleck or Bigelow. The logic being that he's a very well regarded director who's never been nominated before, and this is probably his best shot to win. Whereas the other two should have no problems making films that will be worthy of consideration in other years.

Agent Sculder

Back to top Go down

Post  mokey75 on Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:03 pm

I'm so happy Moonrise Kingdom snuck in for best screenplay. It was my favorite movie last year, and I knew that and maybe Art Direction would be its only shots.
mokey75

Back to top Go down

Post  Kookla on Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:15 am

I am so ridiculously happy about Bradley Cooper for SLP, ironically because I can't stand him and have hated him almost unanimously in everything he's been in. Up until now he's just been the douchebag fratboy in my eyes. Yet he managed to majorly impress me in his Silver Linings role. To paraphrase someone on another board, I'm shocked that someone in casting thought he could actually pull it off, and I'm shocked (in a good way) that he actually DID pull it off. Loved, loved, loved him and Jennifer Lawrence (though she was more of a sure thing).

Kookla

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran on Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:19 am

I enjoyed his tv performances but that role did for him what Monster's Ball also did for Heath Ledger for me (though I was a teenager with a huge crush on him before I saw him in that). In that it made me really excited to see what he does next now that hes broken out of that role hes stereotyped himself into for me. Its almost like discovering a new great actor and looking at his imdb I'm really excited for his next new films.
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top