The Baby-sitters Club

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: The Baby-sitters Club

Post  Arabella on Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:13 pm

Francie Nolan wrote:Was the NYC Super Special the one where Kristy orders filet mignon but she pronounces it "fill-it mig-non" because she is not from NYC and therefore not sophisticated like Lane and Stacey? Or was that just a regular book? I always felt a little smug about that, because I was a) from NYC (albeit an outer borough), b) had eaten filet mignon at my cousin's wedding, and c) knew how to properly pronounce filet mignon. In my mind, I passed the Ann M. Martin litmus test for sophistication.
That was just a regular book, Stacey's Mistake. I think it was #18. The NYC Super Special was when Jessi met a guy she liked who was also a ballet dancer. Here's a summary of all the plots in that one.

Arabella

Back to top Go down

Post  eventide82 on Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:06 pm

Oh, I totally forgot about the one where Claudia and Dawn get shipwrecked! I remember thinking how horrible it was for Dawn, the vegetarian, having to eat a hot dog because they were running out of food.

Count me in as someone who frequently self-diagnosed diabetes every time I was very thirsty.
eventide82

http://boredomaboundsbyjulia.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  mayram on Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:38 pm

Yes! I LUV Boy-Crazy Stacey.

Ha, did you write "katesti luvs Boy-Crazy Stacey" in the sand and then run before the waves could wash the words away?

As a West Coast girl, I could not relate to the Jersey Shore, but it sounded magical. What was that hamburger place they'd go to with the tree that you picked a ticket from? And possibly they had a sauce made by mixing ketchup and mustard together?

I spent many a childhood vacation on Long Beach Island, NJ (which is where the real town that "Sea City" is based on is located) so most of that book rang completely true to me, but I'm still not sure if that restaurant was based on a real place! Agreed that it sounded awesome and I would have been all over that if I ever saw it. Even now, I would like to go there.

The super special I remember most is the Disney cruise one, I remember thinking it was pretty awesome that there were all those decks and a pool on board. Plus, the idea of charging stuff to your room was appealing to me (this was back in the days when I didn't understand the difference between an ATM card, checks, and cash; I honestly thought a check or card was an alternative to using actual money and didn't understand why my mom didn't use those more.)

I also remember the camp one for Stacey's impetigo, which I mispronounced forever, and the bitchy girls that gave Kristy a makeover.

I have the Watson lakehouse one AND the ski trip one here somewhere here now, I got a whole bunch of them from a closing bookstore and just haven't gotten to them yet. Clearly my reading priorities are out of whack. :)

mayram

Back to top Go down

Post  punkysdilemma on Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:37 pm

Francie Nolan wrote:I remember her spelling her name "Caludia" once, but maybe that was just the internet making fun of Claudia?

I want to say that happened at least once in one of the notebook entries, but the *ahem* PDFs on the Internet don't include the notebook stuff 'cause they're not text.

Of course it also is in the title of Caludia Keeshi: Middel Skol Mamma.
punkysdilemma

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:30 pm

The one and only time that I've ever lost a library book, it happened to be a BSC installment that Iaccidentally left in a hospital waiting room. I wish I could remember which one!

Ughhhh, I always felt jealous of Claudia and her secret candy stashes. I now stash as much candy as I want around my house. Nothing secretive about it though so it doesn't count!

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Gilraen on Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:49 pm

punkysdilemma wrote:
Francie Nolan wrote:I remember her spelling her name "Caludia" once, but maybe that was just the internet making fun of Claudia?

I want to say that happened at least once in one of the notebook entries, but the *ahem* PDFs on the Internet don't include the notebook stuff 'cause they're not text.

Of course it also is in the title of Caludia Keeshi: Middel Skol Mamma.
I have to say, the BSC books have really spawned some awesome fanfiction parodies. Remember the one where Stacey was pregnant by Jackie Radowski, Jessie was a wheelchair dancer, and Mary Anne was a Canadian telemarketer?

Gilraen

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran on Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:10 pm

She was snorting cocaine! And Dawn was an eco terrorist! And Kristy finally came out!

My favorite one that I read over and over again was Little Miss Stonybrooke...and Dawn.

I loved all the bizarre talents. And Vanessa and I shared a talent (I think it was Vanessa it might have been another Pike) of being able to unpeel bananas with our feet!
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile on Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:29 pm

It was Margo. No, I didn't reread that book recently, why do you ask?
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  LadyGayle on Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:48 pm

Vanessa was the poet, right? The one that spoke in rhyme all the time? (Sorry.) I hated her.

Though she was far more tolerable than Karen, I'll give her that.

LadyGayle

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran on Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:23 pm

She was. Oh God. Karen. I hated that brat. I read the Little Sister books religiously too and she was so awful.
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:49 pm

Instead of my usual 50-book goal, I should vow to read every single BSC book in existence next year.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis on Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:16 am

She was. Oh God. Karen. I hated that brat. I read the Little Sister books religiously too and she was so awful.

WHAT. KAREN HAD GLASSES AND THUS SHE WAS AWESOME. (She did have glasses, right? I liked her for SOME reason or other.)

Instead of my usual 50-book goal, I should vow to read every single BSC book in existence next year.

I would, but I can't deal with the fact that Dawn moved back to California. That's fuckin bullshit man.

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran on Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:18 am

It did lead to the California Diaries which were MY SHIT in Grade 6.

Karen had two pairs of glasses. One for reading, one for all the time. They were pink and blue. And she was a little beast, I am sorry to say.
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  big chicken on Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:48 am

I can't blame Dawn for moving back to California. I would have too if staying with my mother meant I had to keep living with Mary Anne and her father.

big chicken

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran on Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:51 am

I always thought my dad was a strict single dad but man Richard Spier was creepy strict sometimes. Not letting her take her hair out of braids? At age 13? I mean I know her grandparents tried to steal her and take her to Kansas but I don't know how braids are going to help with that...
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:52 am

California is awesome, so clearly, Dawn knew where it was at! Also, yeah...Richard was too freakin' uptight.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran on Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:53 am

He wouldn't let her wear pants! I'm pretty sure he could have had a show on TLC.
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile on Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:14 am

I love Richard Spier. I just thought he was an adorable man once he started loosening up. Early Richard was way too strict and a little disturbing, but he changed by the end of, like, book 4 and was cool for the next 100 or so books. He became my favorite BSC parent after Mimi died (waaaaaah!)

One of my favorite things about rereading the books is how every character emphasizes over and over again that Mary Anne Is Shy and Rarely Stands Up For Herself, yet Mary Anne has at least one Standing Up For Herself moment in each book where she's the narrator. And she has better snark than any club member despite being the Shy One. I cannot wait to get to Mary Anne's Makeover and read when she shouts to Dawn, "Go choke on an alfalfa sprout!"

Do yourself a favor and skip the mysteries and Little Sister series. Well, a few of the mysteries were decent, but there is nothing worthwhile about the Little Sister series.
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis on Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:35 pm

Kiran wrote:It did lead to the California Diaries which were MY SHIT in Grade 6.

Karen had two pairs of glasses. One for reading, one for all the time. They were pink and blue. And she was a little beast, I am sorry to say.

Oh yeah now I remember. I thought that was the coolest lol. Or at least, cooler than the glasses I wore.

hmph, if California is so awesome the baby-sitters should have ALL relocated there!

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  LadyGayle on Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:45 pm

Ha. I had pink and blue pairs of glasses, too, and it didn't make me like Karen any better. She was so bossy and unpleasant and ugh, I hated her. Shut up, Karen, with your dibble fresh or whatever the fuck.

Mary Anne was my favorite. I never understood why Richard insisted on the braids. I could wrap my head around the 'no pants' thing, I had friends with strict/religious parents with the same rule, but the braids confused me. And then way later on he had no real reaction when she cut her hair off. Did he? I just remember the rest of the BSC throwing a hissyfit about it.

LadyGayle

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran on Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:56 pm

I think queenofdenile is right and he loosened up a lot after the first four books now that I think about it. I think his only reaction was to tell her she looked cute and take her shopping for some new outfits. And I think I may have gained affection for him too because I remember being annoyed at how bitchy Dawn's grandparents were to him.
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  Gillian on Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:54 pm

queenofdenile wrote:I love Richard Spier. I just thought he was an adorable man once he started loosening up. Early Richard was way too strict and a little disturbing, but he changed by the end of, like, book 4 and was cool for the next 100 or so books. He became my favorite BSC parent after Mimi died (waaaaaah!)
I love how it was obvious that all Richard needed was to get laid on the regular. He's an uptight weirdo right until the moment he gets a girlfriend, and then boom. Things are all good.

Dawn's mom, though. Jeesh. I mean, yay for yanking the stick out of Richard Spier's ass, but dude. That lady drove me nuts with her shoes in the refrigerator and giant messes.

Gillian

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile on Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:37 am

The baby-sitters DID throw a total hissyfit over Mary Anne's haircut, Kristy and Dawn moreso than Stacey and Claudia. And Dawn's pathetic excuse for why she was so nasty to MA was that she was jealous of MA spending time with Richard because Dawn missed her dad. For some reason, Mary Anne did not point out that she doesn't throw a tantrum whenever Dawn bonds with Sharon, even though her own mom is dead and all and therefore MA can never spend time with her.

I also loved Mary Anne. Claudia was my favorite but MA was a close second. Though I also like Stacey a lot more than I used to, and any of her books that were all about her DIABETES DRAMA!! were so entertaining. One of my favorite books is when she cheats on her diet and has to go to the hospital.
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  Gillian on Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:00 am

queenofdenile wrote:Though I also like Stacey a lot more than I used to, and any of her books that were all about her DIABETES DRAMA!! were so entertaining. One of my favorite books is when she cheats on her diet and has to go to the hospital.
I loved any book that involved a Stacey health crisis. I was friends with a girl in sixth grade who had, to my recollection, and pretty severe case of diabetes. Thanks to Stacey ending up in the hospital so many times, I was horrified every time this poor girl bought an ice cream in the lunch line. She would make some noise about how she wasn't supposed to do it, and I would get super scared on her behalf. I thought for sure they'd be rushing her off to the emergency room by sixth period. Never happened. Thank goodness, but damn. Thanks to Stacey I went from self-diagnosing diabetes every time I got thirsty to judging my friends' lunch choices.

Gillian

Back to top Go down

Post  katesti on Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:18 pm

queenofdenile wrote:The baby-sitters DID throw a total hissyfit over Mary Anne's haircut, Kristy and Dawn moreso than Stacey and Claudia.l

To be fair, they also totally flipped when Dawn made herself over for Travis in Dawn and the Older Boy. I liked Claudia's outfits, sure, but Dawn's outfits in that book were kiiiiiiiiiiiind of amazing. She made skirts out of sweatpants! And her hair! Remember, one time she braided it into a million little braids and then only unbraided the bottom halves? But then Travis sucks and has a high school girlfriend and she gets set up with Logan's cousin, Louis, at the end.

...that book was my secret favorite. As a boy-crazy middle-schooler myself, anything involving boys was just The Best.

katesti

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top