Superman Movies

Page 1 of 9 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Superman Movies

Post  Wildog27 on Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:28 pm

With today's release of a new Man of Steel poster, it seemed like a good time to start a topic to discuss the Superman movies.

I still love the original, even as dated as it seems and Superman III is good, but I think it gets over praised at times. I'm very hopeful for the Man of Steel movie, primarily because of Nolan's involvement, but I will admit that's somewhat tempered by his overindulgences in The Dark Knight Rises. This new poster is very, very intriguing.

Wildog27

Back to top Go down

Re: Superman Movies

Post  Skyblade on Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:54 pm

I don't think he's the one we have to worry about in regards to "excesses", I mean, the only thing Dark Knight Rises over indulged on was exposition. Exactly is Nolan's involvement? "Hey Russell Crowe, do you want to come kind of work with me?" I can't imagine what he's going to throw into the mix from a content point of view. He's really just there to drum up excitement from a press point of view. Executive Producer (of Fanboy Boners). Which is immensely ironic. Fox hires director of cult following crime movies to make superhero movie. Movie causes people to take superhero movies more seriously (With critics saying a little on the drab side.) WB poaches director for Superman. Superman movie makes narcoleptics out of audiences. WB has to reboot Superman. In their own camp, they hire a director of cult following crime movies to direct their Batman movie. Movie causes people to take Batman movie more seriously (with critics saying a little on the drab side). WB puts director in charge of Superman. Fans get excited, display lack of understanding of history, objectivity.

Skyblade

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames on Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:12 pm

Wildog27 wrote:I still love the original, even as dated as it seems and Superman III is good, but I think it gets over praised at times.

I think you mean Superman II, because one thing you cannot say about Superman III is that it's "overpraised". Almost nobody praises that one.

That said, I do think Superman II is way overpraised.
RiverThames

http://www.mrmaresca.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Wildog27 on Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:17 pm

Yes, I meant II, of course. III was just... <trails off with a glazed look in my eyes>

Wildog27

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames on Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:22 pm

Though Chris at Comics Alliance makes an interesting case for Superman III hitting Silver Age notes right on. It's ludicrous, but so were Superman books in the 60s....
RiverThames

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:36 pm

Skyblade wrote:I don't think he's the one we have to worry about in regards to "excesses", I mean, the only thing Dark Knight Rises over indulged on was exposition. Exactly is Nolan's involvement? "Hey Russell Crowe, do you want to come kind of work with me?" I can't imagine what he's going to throw into the mix from a content point of view. He's really just there to drum up excitement from a press point of view. Executive Producer (of Fanboy Boners). Which is immensely ironic. Fox hires director of cult following crime movies to make superhero movie. Movie causes people to take superhero movies more seriously (With critics saying a little on the drab side.) WB poaches director for Superman. Superman movie makes narcoleptics out of audiences. WB has to reboot Superman. In their own camp, they hire a director of cult following crime movies to direct their Batman movie. Movie causes people to take Batman movie more seriously (with critics saying a little on the drab side). WB puts director in charge of Superman. Fans get excited, display lack of understanding of history, objectivity.

I think you're understating Nolan's involvement in this movie. From what I've read, it seems to me that Nolan isn't just a "token credit" like many Executive Producer names are. He's one of the guys who's actually working on the movie. Casting, script notes, location and budget decisions, probably even final cut approval (I certainly hope they didn't give final cut to Zach "Slo-Motion IS AWESOME" Snyder).

The biggest problems are inherent to the Superman character, not necessarily the involvement of Singer or Nolan. He's just not a cinematically interesting hero unless you want to do something off-the-wall (Smallville) or you're willing to shell out the money to really let him strut his stuff (Superman The Movie and Superman II). If you hamper him with budget issues or spend your money on all the wrong things (Tim Burton), he's just not going to be that interesting. You either end up with bad cheese like Lois and Clark or missing-the-point like Superman Returns.

From all indications, they seem to be willing to let Superman off his chain a bit with this movie (not having to cut corners because you pissed half your budget away wasting ten years on Tim Burton and Jon Peters probably helps). Which doesn't mean they've nailed the character - the first trailer was a bit too somber, and I have yet to see an image of Cavill in costume that I think works (though that new poster comes *really* close). So it could still be a clusterfuck, but I don't think getting excited about Nolan's involvement means that people have no sense of history or objectivity.

As for Superman III working as a tribute to the Silver Age... I can understand the perspective. Even the appearance of Richard Pryor plays like one of the real-life celebrity guest appearances that dotted the '60s comics. And I really do like the Clark vs. Superman fight.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  jennlynnster on Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:17 pm

Man of Steel trailer is out.

jennlynnster

Back to top Go down

Post  Wildog27 on Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:14 pm

Must not set expectations too high, but that's becoming more difficult the more I see of the movie. This looks... Super.

Wildog27

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:36 pm

OH yeah. That's the stuff. FINALLY something I unreservedly *like* in relationship with this movie. I was really starting to worry that I'd never find anything to warm up to.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  QueenSix on Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:10 pm

I'm sorry, I can't even pretend to be cynical or low-key about this: I am SOOOO looking forward to this film and based on this trailer, I am looking forward to it even more!! I like the feel of the film and I like the look of it. So I feel good about this.

Oh please God, let this film be good!! It comes out four days after my birthday and I swear, when people ask me how I celebrated, I want to be able to say that I spent it in the cinema watching this multiple times! I want to be in a superhero movie induced coma by the Tuesday! Because that's healthy and makes perfect sense.

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  Wildog27 on Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:45 am

Geez, I've probably watched this over a dozen times since yesterday. Still can't get enough of it.

Wildog27

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames on Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:52 pm

New trailer!

RiverThames

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:35 pm

I love those three minutes so much.

I like the idea that Lois has been tracking Clark during his pre-Superman pilgrimage and never quite catching up to him.

I also like the notion that someone finally mentioned, in-story, that the Kryptonian icon looks like an S and actually asks Kal about it. The shield has been Kryptonian ever since the 1978 movie and yet no one on Earth - in comics or TV - has ever bothered to ask what it means or why he wears it.

I can't wait to see how the Krypton segments fit together with the rest of the story. I get the sense in this trailer that maybe Krypton isn't destroyed after all. And strangely, I think I'd be okay if that's the case. When JJ Abrams brought up that idea in his pre-Returns screenplay, I was apoplectic. Maybe I've just mellowed with age, but I find that I'm cool either way. Last survivor of a dead planet, last scion of the House of El sent into exile to protect him from Zod....

As long as Lex Luthor doesn't turn out to be Kryptonian as Abrams pitched. That would be a deal breaker.

ETA: The music! I hope that music is from the score. It's gorgeous. Evocative of Williams, but clearly not. But not strictly "Zimmerian" either.

ETAA: Can't. Stop. Watching.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  swsa on Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:37 pm

I really loved that. Superman has always been my absolute fave, and while this has a certain Dark Knight'ish angsty tone, Superman himself is just as I'd hope he'd be.

I'm still not okay with Lois' hair though.
swsa

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:56 am

I can't express enough just how excited I am for this film, and I'm not even a huge Superman fan! The first trailer just strikes the right tone and attitude that makes it look so appealing and mysterious.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Wildog27 on Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:03 am

I want to take that trailer behind the middle school and get it pregnant.

Wildog27

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:04 am

That escalated quickly.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:21 am

Wow. No first date or anything, huh? I can already see your family being harshly labeled as "trailer trash" at that shotgun wedding y'all are likely to have.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Wildog27 on Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:57 pm

Holy crap. I just watched with headphones on and the music is amazing. I hope that's the actual soundtrack and not something temporary.

Wildog27

Back to top Go down

Post  sen3 on Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:11 pm

Dammit. That was like the best trailer is a while, mostly because I figured this movie would be like the last Spiderman reboot, "OK, but did I really need this?". But damn this has upped the game of expectations. Please movie, please be all that this promises.

sen3

Back to top Go down

Post  sagitare on Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:01 pm

laddical wrote:ETA: The music! I hope that music is from the score. It's gorgeous. Evocative of Williams, but clearly not. But not strictly "Zimmerian" either.
Yes, that's what I was hoping as well. I'm thinking that, this close to the release date, it would have to be his score. I was pretty impressed with it too, for the reasons you said. I'm really looking forward to hearing the whole thing, to see if (and how) he works in any part of Williams' themes (I'm kind of hoping he doesn't just because I don't think he *has* to and it'd be cool for his score to be its own thing).
sagitare

Back to top Go down

Post  The Dude on Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:41 pm

Zod is one of those roles that demands scenery chewing. So Mike Shannon is a good choice.
The Dude

Back to top Go down

Post  QueenSix on Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:15 pm

I woke up this morning around five thirty am GMT and I had to check Twitter on my phone to see if the new trailer had appeared. And it had. It had!! So naturally I had to watch it. Six times in a row. As you do.

I am glad we got to see a bit more of Lois Lane. When I heard Amy Adams had been cast, I was immediately relieved because she's always impressed me in her other films so I knew that given the right script, she can play Lois as smart and driven but still make her personable and understand why Clark would be drawn to her. And what I've seen in the trailer has not changed my initial relief. I like Amy Adams and I liked what we saw of here.

I cannot wait for this film to come out.

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  Wildog27 on Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:02 pm

Just noticed something else in the trailer... in the last couple of seconds where Supes is punching Zod (maybe), when he does and the punchee is sent flying, the sonic boom cone is around them. He's punching them hard enough to break the sound barrier!

How many hours until June 14...?

Wildog27

Back to top Go down

Post  The Dude on Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:46 am

I had the Superman vs. Batman argument again. Is generational? Because Superman, invulnerable, all-powerful...where's the tension?
The Dude

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 9 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top